Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Randy on VSL about to preview a new card; immediately says "whoops there's technical problems."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stream cuts to the PT Shadows Over Innistrad top 8.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
He's restarting it again lol

He's just going to tell us what the card is if it fails again lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's just Nevinyrral's Disk with art that doesn't' involve tentacles.

Last seen in a Commander precon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Brand new disdainful looking Jace counterspell. But with superior no flavor text.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Also, this confirms Counterbalance as not in the set (but really, lol if you thought they'd put Counter-Top in limited)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Also, this confirms Counterbalance as not in the set (but really, lol if you thought they'd put Counter-Top in limited)

Getting a two rare combo in limited with a much broader range of cmc seems fine actually. Counterbalance rarely sees play in cube and that format is friendlier to the combo than booster draft.

E: especially since we now know fetches aren't in ema.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As someone who has no dog in the fight, Strix seems like an uncommon. A powerful uncommon, albeit, but it's a blocker + cantrip. That doesn't seem to be on the power level of Deluge, Top, Tutor, or Maze of Ith.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Strix is basically the best Elvish Visionary ever.

Angry Grimace posted:

Brand new disdainful looking Jace counterspell. But with superior no flavor text.

Cabal Therapy is great at uncommon. That's a $13 card right now.

Also Counterspell is a common? If that and Mongoose are the power level of commons, I cant wait to draft this. Stick Swords To Plowshares at common, too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

What the hell was this card ever played in?

It saw play a million years ago when the oath decks were ug and would beat down with treetop villages while you avoided playing creatures because you either did not have them in your deck or because it would get them Morphling.

It was a different time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Strix is basically the best Elvish Visionary ever.

Cabal Therapy is great at uncommon. That's a $13 card right now.

Also Counterspell is a common? If that and Mongoose are the power level of commons, I cant wait to draft this. Stick Swords To Plowshares at common, too.

I'm willing to bet Swords is still uncommon. Its been uncommon in literally every set its been in (not counting FTV).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

:lol: at high school pictures lazer background jace.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

P-papa Nurgle? Are you feeling ok? You look... healthy :gonk:

Elyv posted:

Reid Duke played Praetor's Grasp in VSL and now Storm vs Landstill is a Monastery Mentor match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzfkxAC-Bw8

So now we have Kaio-ken Jace to go with SSJace?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Lots of people demonstrating no idea of what's powerful and what's not in limited itt.

Plus the real combo with counterbalance would be self milling and epitaph golem :getin:

But seriously baleful strix is an absurd rate outside of a cube format.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 25, 2016

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Completely unnecessary Nevvy's Disk reprint. Wish it had been O-Stone.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JerryLee posted:

Then you explain the part where the actual cost to play effectively can be in the several hundreds if not thousands of dollars because of a situation deliberately engineered by the manufacturer and at this point they probably go :yikes:

This isn't really fair to Wizards.

I don't think they ever intended to "deliberately engineer" the current situation with old Reserve List cards. You have to understand that when they made Chronicles, the set that led to the Reserve List, they were still reeling from Fallen Empires, a set which was a failure on every level, not to mention their first huge misstep. People were really starting to wonder if CCGs had legs or were just going to be the next 90s fad. The Reserve List was a promise made in order to keep the favor needed to keep selling cards. They had no idea 21 years later this game would still be going and that this would be the problem it is now.

Now if you want to talk about Mythic rarities being deliberately engineered to inflate secondary prices I still think that's not deliberate, but rather a side effect of trying to sell more booster boxes.

Edit: I really want to stress how bad Fallen Empires was for anyone not playing during that time. The cards were almost ALL total garbage in a time where most cards were not good. Also, they overprinted it to such an extent that for 2-3 years after release you could buy booster boxes for $20 because retailers would rather take the bath on it than continue having it take up space.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 25, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That doesn't explain why they later decided to double-down on the reserved list and also bar themselves from reprinting them as promotional cards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also their own self imposed ban on functional reprints

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

rabidsquid posted:

Also their own self imposed ban on functional reprints

Functional reprints were part of the original reserve list promise.

I asked a page or two back and am still extremely curious. What happens in a tournament if your opponent claims you're using fake cards? Where does the judge's authority begin and end on the topic? With the different quality of official print runs, it seems like it'd be very hard to accurately identify with certainty good counterfeits.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 25, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy Bloke posted:

This isn't really fair to Wizards.

I don't think they ever intended to "deliberately engineer" the current situation with old Reserve List cards. You have to understand that when they made Chronicles, the set that led to the Reserve List, they were still reeling from Fallen Empires, a set which was a failure on every level, not to mention their first huge misstep. People were really starting to wonder if CCGs had legs or were just going to be the next 90s fad. The Reserve List was a promise made in order to keep the favor needed to keep selling cards. They had no idea 21 years later this game would still be going and that this would be the problem it is now.

Now if you want to talk about Mythic rarities being deliberately engineered to inflate secondary prices I still think that's not deliberate, but rather a side effect of trying to sell more booster boxes.

Edit: I really want to stress how bad Fallen Empires was for anyone not playing during that time. The cards were almost ALL total garbage in a time where most cards were not good. Also, they overprinted it to such an extent that for 2-3 years after release you could buy booster boxes for $20 because retailers would rather take the bath on it than continue having it take up space.

Fallen Empires happened because stores were used to not getting full orders, so they would order double what they wanted and get roughly the right amount. Wizards said alright we got this printing thing nailed down, just order what you want! And they still ordered double. And got all of it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Literally The Worst posted:

Fallen Empires happened because stores were used to not getting full orders, so they would order double what they wanted and get roughly the right amount. Wizards said alright we got this printing thing nailed down, just order what you want! And they still ordered double. And got all of it

Right, but that wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't a total garbage set.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Functional reprints were part of the original reserve list promise.

I asked a page or two back and am still extremely curious. What happens in a tournament if your opponent claims you're using fake cards? Where does the judge's authority begin and end on the topic? With the different quality of official print runs, it seems like it'd be very hard to accurately identify with certainty good counterfeits.

They can't compel you to let them unsleeve and fondle your cards, but they can certainly remove you from the event. If you aren't allowed to play a sanctioned event with fake cards, and you refuse to let a judge investigate a claim, he or she would really have no choice but to drop you from the event.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

It looks like you have unexpectedly absent from looking at the last few pages of spoilers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Samael posted:

It looks like you have unexpectedly absent from looking at the last few pages of spoilers.

Really? where was it posted ITT?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

They can't compel you to let them unsleeve and fondle your cards, but they can certainly remove you from the event. If you aren't allowed to play a sanctioned event with fake cards, and you refuse to let a judge investigate a claim, he or she would really have no choice but to drop you from the event.
Kind of disappointed we haven't seen this sort of angle shooting for a win yet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
It looks like all the good cards are spoiled and now we are just getting the chaff.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

jassi007 posted:

Okay, but let's say you let them unsleeve and look at them. They aren't experts at counterfeit cards. If they are good fakes, with the inconsistencies of official print runs being what they are, should a judge even be expected or empowered to rule on it?

Note I am only talking about good fakes, not easily spottable ones.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ugh this was SUCH a good card in Commander (where it was originally printed) until stupid Sheldon and the RC removed the tuck rule.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Ugh this was SUCH a good card in Commander (where it was originally printed) until stupid Sheldon and the RC removed the tuck rule.

tuck can gently caress itself

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I guess this is fine to draft but another feel bad rare to open...

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Literally The Worst posted:

tuck can gently caress itself

Tuck was a really good check on a few extremely abusive commanders

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Tuck was a really good check on a few extremely abusive commanders

and the rest of the time it was fuckin awful

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Okay, but let's say you let them unsleeve and look at them. They aren't experts at counterfeit cards. If they are good fakes, with the inconsistencies of official print runs being what they are, should a judge even be expected or empowered to rule on it?

Note I am only talking about good fakes, not easily spottable ones.

So really you're asking "what if they say a real card is a fake" I don't know. Depends on the event, if it was a GP for example I'd appeal to the HJ, I'd also ask if we could have some vendors check it out. I'd trust Ben Bleweiss at SCG more than any random L2 to determine a fake when it comes down to it. If it is a pptq type event and there really isn't anyone to appeal to I'd probably make sure to get the judges name and let them know I'd appeal to the DCI and file a report with the regional coordinator. I don't know what would happen from there, but sometimes bad judge calls happen at an event and at some point you have to accept that right now there is no recourse. I think truth be told judges knowing they aren't experts are more likely to err on the side of caution and not call a card fake unless someone can offer pretty solid evidence.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

jassi007 posted:

So really you're asking "what if they say a real card is a fake"

Not really so much as asking just what happens if it's not an easily identifiable fake.

quote:

I don't know. Depends on the event, if it was a GP for example I'd appeal to the HJ, I'd also ask if we could have some vendors check it out. I'd trust Ben Bleweiss at SCG more than any random L2 to determine a fake when it comes down to it. If it is a pptq type event and there really isn't anyone to appeal to I'd probably make sure to get the judges name and let them know I'd appeal to the DCI and file a report with the regional coordinator. I don't know what would happen from there, but sometimes bad judge calls happen at an event and at some point you have to accept that right now there is no recourse. I think truth be told judges knowing they aren't experts are more likely to err on the side of caution and not call a card fake unless someone can offer pretty solid evidence.

That's more what I was looking for. The steps of going to vendors seems super time consuming.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The pit fighter legends used to be so drat cool and now they're so drat bad :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That is some really bad art.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's a really bad card too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Snacksmaniac posted:

Especially since it doesn't resemble old Rorix that much.

Which is a shame when Bladewing the Risen and Tarox Bladewing kept the whole spindly neck thing going. Rorix is now just "a dragon." Perhaps with a longer neck than usual but not distinctly.

• Locked thread