Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Just checked his fb page it's real

Unsurprisingly some people are not particularly happy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Our laws absolutely should legally allow this, but they do not. Our society permits the legal fiction required to allow it, but the law does not. There is no reason not to advocate changing our abortion laws to legally permit the actual reality of abortion provision in New Zealand rather than simply relying on the continued non-prosecution of the thousands of actually illegal abortions that happen every year.

But what can we do to get it changed? We don't have binding referendums here and even if we did there's no guarantee you'd get enough people behind the idea of restriction-free abortions.

It would be nice if there was anything we could do though. The people who have the power to change this stuff either don't care or are too afraid to even go there.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

if only we hadn't aborted new plymouth and 500,000 kiwi battlers

The worst thing about this is the idea that women should be forced to give birth to a baby so that other people can have one.
I doubt many people would be able to give a baby away even if they didn't want it. So those 500,000 babies wouldn't have all gone to loving homes, most of them would have been unwanted and probably not had the easiest lives.
It's much nicer to think that for each of those 500,000 abortions a woman didn't have to drop out of high school or uni to care for a baby she didn't want, and instead was able to work on her life and have children when she was ready for them, if at all.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

max key totally a normal middle class person with concerns like house prices.

yes totally

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Max Key looks like he's reeeeeeally lookin forward to the annual Purge

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
RIL: Pretty much the highest level/official painter for the US Military & Department of Defense is a Kiwi guy from humble Hamilton

http://www.garyschofield.com/16.html

Dude was commissioned for the 9/11 remembrance painting in lobby at Pentagon. buzzy

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Laverna posted:

But what can we do to get it changed? We don't have binding referendums here and even if we did there's no guarantee you'd get enough people behind the idea of restriction-free abortions.

It would be nice if there was anything we could do though. The people who have the power to change this stuff either don't care or are too afraid to even go there.

The worst thing about this is the idea that women should be forced to give birth to a baby so that other people can have one.
I doubt many people would be able to give a baby away even if they didn't want it. So those 500,000 babies wouldn't have all gone to loving homes, most of them would have been unwanted and probably not had the easiest lives.
It's much nicer to think that for each of those 500,000 abortions a woman didn't have to drop out of high school or uni to care for a baby she didn't want, and instead was able to work on her life and have children when she was ready for them, if at all.

I think we have to start by being vocal about the idea, and get it into public discourse, because at the moment everyone is kind of happy - women do get the health care they are entitled to as humans (but not entitled to under the law) and society gets to live the comfortable lie that abortions are only done when absolutely necessary according to societies ideals. Because everyone is kinda fairly happy, no one talks about it. It could backfire though and end up with the currant laws being enforced....

Politicians will take into account things like what political capital they can spend, and abortion arguments cost a lot. But the notion of political capital is a fiction they made up, and I don't think it's moral for one to weigh up would else one could do with the political capital they have when one option is treating humans as well humans - the current abortion laws removes a woman's humanity.

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for a public debate on what healthcare someone gets, its no one business but my own. Back in the day (at least in america), abortions were performed in GP's offices by GP's who were trained in medical school on how to do them as part of a normal GP practice.

EDIT: How do we get it changed? I just don't know. I really don't.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I wouldn't trust other New Zealanders not to gently caress it up and formalise something worse.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

if the nz abortion laws were changed, which crowd-sourced law would you prefer?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

While it would be nice to clean up our laws just look at what some US states have come up with if you let anyone other than health care professionals decide what is best.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

klen dool posted:

I think we have to start by being vocal about the idea, and get it into public discourse, because at the moment everyone is kind of happy - women do get the health care they are entitled to as humans (but not entitled to under the law) and society gets to live the comfortable lie that abortions are only done when absolutely necessary according to societies ideals. Because everyone is kinda fairly happy, no one talks about it. It could backfire though and end up with the currant laws being enforced....

Politicians will take into account things like what political capital they can spend, and abortion arguments cost a lot. But the notion of political capital is a fiction they made up, and I don't think it's moral for one to weigh up would else one could do with the political capital they have when one option is treating humans as well humans - the current abortion laws removes a woman's humanity.

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for a public debate on what healthcare someone gets, its no one business but my own. Back in the day (at least in america), abortions were performed in GP's offices by GP's who were trained in medical school on how to do them as part of a normal GP practice.

EDIT: How do we get it changed? I just don't know. I really don't.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I wouldn't trust other New Zealanders not to gently caress it up and formalise something worse.

Yeah, I guess changing something that works just because it doesn't treat women like people whose opinions can be trusted isn't worth the risk, especially if the risk is getting nothing at all.
That's kind of our lot though, huh? We have to put up with stuff that dehumanises us because the alternative is worse.

But it is kind of embarrassing on an international level to still be a country where abortion isn't legal.
And we've only had marriage equality for a few years.
What happened to being a proudly progressive country? Was that ever a thing?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Ivor Biggun posted:

Bill English is going to solve the housing problem in the upcoming budget.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11636967

quote:

English signals measures in Budget to release more land.
That's it, really.

Labour are stepping up to the plate

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11640374

quote:

Abolish Auckland city limits - Labour
So really the same solution.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I really wish I didn't feel a little resigned or complacent about the issue but I also can't shake the feeling that under current social conditions any attempt at 'decriminalizing' abortion or legalising away current stigmatized conditions to receive the services could indeed lead to a worse legal regime that what exists. This is actually an issue which can lead to reaction just as much as progress it seems. This is of course deeply unjust.

This isn't to say do nothing but in an election year or something else I could see a Labour/Greens sponsored members bill or something being absolutely seized upon and chewed out and leaving a 'worse situation than before' i.e. reform is put off again for a few more years. Imagine homosexual law reform style. I imagine something that ends up happening stemming from a solid bulkhead of reports from medical associations, ACC, other health bodies that still leaves traditional advocates frustrated as arguments like "safe, legal and rare" are trotted out (why does it have to be rare? are we still saying its a bad thing etc.)

The best thing I see happening is changing the implicit requirement that a woman be considered to have a mental health issue to receive what most would consider an on-demand abortion but leaving pretty much the entire infrastructure around it intact. Even just changing it to 'a patient receiving full information deeming the abortion and consenting to the procedure, to the satisfaction of two doctors, will be deemed to be carrying out a medically necessary treatment' or something to that effect.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 18, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Laverna posted:

Was that ever a thing?

Lol nope.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I wouldn't trust a populace that voted in Key thrice to pour water out of a gumboot, much less band together and pressure the government into passing progressive/non-malicious legislation.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Steve Chadwick had a bill on the subject back in 2010:

quote:

A Labour MP has taken the controversial step of proposing a new law to legalise abortion on request for women up to 24 weeks into a pregnancy.

Steve Chadwick, a midwife and former associate health minister, is gauging support for what would be the first changes to abortion law since 1978.

The Abortion Supervisory Committee has repeatedly urged Parliament to review the Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion Act, which states the legal grounds for abortion, but MPs avoid the issue.

A judge has questioned the lawfulness of most abortions.

Last year, 17,550 abortions were done, compared with 17,940 in 2008.

Mrs Chadwick's Abortion Reform Bill would take abortion out of the Crimes Act, making it solely a health matter and a choice for the patient, at least in the first part of pregnancy.

And the Greens did raise it as an issue in 2014.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Laverna posted:

What happened to being a proudly progressive country? Was that ever a thing?

In school (overseas) we studied New Zealand's role in establishing the eight-hour working day and other now-standard labour norms. That was a while back I guess. :nz:

E: also women's suffrage.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hahaha, we slipped to nine-hour workdays a few months back, after the smoko bill was put through. We may as well wear white after Labour day.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

That's it, really.

[/quote]

this is really loving disappointing from Labour but, to be fair, they tried to address the issue and were pretty solidly rejected so I guess you can't blame them

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ivor Biggun posted:

That's it, really.

One day our dreams of consuming Hamilton will come true.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Found an interesting thing about Benefit Fraud today.

In the 2015/16 budget last year there was $49.51m set aside for:

quote:

Investigation of Overpayments and Fraudulent Payments and Collection of Overpayments (M63)
This appropriation is limited to services to minimise errors, fraud and abuse of the benefit system and Income Related Rent, and services to manage the collection of overpayments, recoverable assistance loans and other balances owed by former clients.

Looking at the MSD website we find that the value of over payments is between $33.7M and $41.9M over the '04-'10 financial years http://statistical-report-2010.msd....einvestigations

So my question is why is National spending more money on identifying fraud and reclaiming over payments (in addition to court cases wasting even more money) than they'd ever get back?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Binkenstein posted:

So my question is why is National spending more money on identifying fraud and reclaiming over payments (in addition to court cases wasting even more money) than they'd ever get back?

Hmm I wonder.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is the answer: "Because, gently caress the poor"?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The value of overpayments in 14/15 was actually $51.7 million - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2799535-MSD-FraudStatistics2015.html - so theoretically they could be reclaiming as much as $2.2 million worth of overpayments, so it's actually out of scope for National's goal of a <1 BCR for all non-business-subsidy expenses.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gotta make jobs for the mates of your mate's kids, right Key?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/katieabradford/status/735293345497391105
:waycool:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Do they still cut your benefit if you move to an area with no job prospects?

e: Yes, if you don't have transport to go to nearby areas to work:
"A client in this situation must continue to meet the work obligations (if applicable), which include being available for, and taking reasonable steps to obtain, suitable employment.

To meet this obligation, a client who moves to a limited employment location must have access to reliable transport and be willing and realistically able to commute to a nearby town or centre where there is employment available."

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 25, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Maybe we should just round up all the homeless and ship them off to an offshore island that way we'll never have to look at them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

National's response to criticism over homeless crisis in Auckland is suggest they might actually deliver 2/3rds of their response to criticism over state housing crisis in Auckland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11577072

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Maybe we should just round up all the homeless and ship them off to an offshore island that way we'll never have to look at them

Quick, tell them they'll get $500 if they pretend to be refugees!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a hard time giving a poo poo about people in general but something about homeless people really badly strikes a chord with me; I find it monstrous that our state apparatus are taking steps to make them go away because they're not a good look.

There was a homeless guy near my house who spent months living by the side of a certain road, getting acquainted with people from local businesses & improving his situation by a tiny bit whilst often getting harrased by the cops. A few weeks ago I watched him get shuffled off by the cops, presumably so that gormless fucks gridlocked by the roundabout up the street don't have to put up with him existing next to their german SUV's worth hundreds of times his entire net worth.

We live in a loving dark society really :(

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I've lived out of a car before (in urban areas) and it's loving dire, I can't imagine how awful it would be being homeless especially with the weather like it is.

there is no housing crisis in New Zealand :downsgun:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I was under the impression it wasn't so much "Go away and we'll give you money", it was more "Auckland is a shithole and all the state housing here is full, but there are other cities where this is not the case".
It's still not much of a solution, mind.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
National have always told me that Labour was the commie party of social engineering, yet here we are, one step away from forced resettlement programmes!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

Do they still cut your benefit if you move to an area with no job prospects?

e: Yes, if you don't have transport to go to nearby areas to work:
"A client in this situation must continue to meet the work obligations (if applicable), which include being available for, and taking reasonable steps to obtain, suitable employment.

To meet this obligation, a client who moves to a limited employment location must have access to reliable transport and be willing and realistically able to commute to a nearby town or centre where there is employment available."

There's something oddly Kafkaesque about it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So if you're too poor to afford a car and petrol and the warranty etc etc, you lose the benefit, but if you have enough income support to manage that you gain government assistance?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Sounds about right

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Isn't that par for the course with UN advancement, though?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Isn't that par for the course with advancement, though?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm pretty sure I didn't ruin careers to get where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's just people airing dirty laundry

• Locked thread