Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe he collects GMC Terrains? Follow him home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Ahh, yes, one of those gmc terrains all the collectors are after.

they probably transfer it from their summer classic car for the winter? idk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
probably a beanie baby collector

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That trade offer? Thornbirds, AKA Thornturds to anyone who doesn't like ultra lovely poser tires.

Oh and they have this much tread remaining:

Broke dicks with lovely bald, hourglassed, coned mud tires that they want way too much money for. The jeep people on facebook world never changes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Did he rearrange the letters on his hood to say "pee"?

Nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yes. And the original poster complimented him on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm shocked that a type of vehicle popular with the reddest of necks results in unintelligent correspondence or poor technical competency.

Shocked, I say!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

They're still good though, plenty of "side tread" left. That's how it works.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh I'm not at all surprised, there are a lot of illiterate/inbred/otherwise handicapped fuckstains in the offroad community.

If I took a shot every time I saw "a little bald in the middle, side lugs r great though" on a jeep forum, facebook trade/sell post, craigslist post, or at a swapmeet, I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning within minutes. Same goes for coned-to-gently caress tires (aka some idiot didn't do an alignment after their lift.)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Joops:

Also saw this turd on base.

This is presumably the civic he killed before managing to make an HHR even more ugly and broken.

And finally my favorite Seattle off-ramp. There's supposed to be two arrow signs where those circles are. They get fixed every two months or so, then another drunk dude plows through them a weekend or two later.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

This is presumably the civic he killed before managing to make an HHR even more ugly and broken.

To be fair 20 years ain't that bad

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

kastein posted:

Oh I'm not at all surprised, there are a lot of illiterate/inbred/otherwise handicapped fuckstains in the offroad community.

If I took a shot every time I saw "a little bald in the middle, side lugs r great though" on a jeep forum, facebook trade/sell post, craigslist post, or at a swapmeet, I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning within minutes. Same goes for coned-to-gently caress tires (aka some idiot didn't do an alignment after their lift.)

What do coned tires look like?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where 50% of the tire is bald, but not in the middle, on one side only. So it's like the top inch of an icecream cone cut off from the rest.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fayez Butts posted:

it's probably a friend who owned that type of car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fayez Butts posted:

They gotta catch up to my cars.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

gileadexile posted:

What do coned tires look like?

Hellaflush camber-worn tires. Or bro-truck/brokeass mudder toe-worn tires. Basically what Geirskogul said.

This is some LTBs with 9k miles on them. Center worn badly because some idiot runs too much air pressure.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Terrible Jeep stuff, found on a Facebook group I am a member of.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Hellaflush camber-worn tires. Or bro-truck/brokeass mudder toe-worn tires. Basically what Geirskogul said.

This is some LTBs with 9k miles on them. Center worn badly because some idiot runs too much air pressure.

look man im not an idiot who just runs sidewall pressure. the door sticker says 50 psi so that's what i run

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm sure you know this but sidewall pressure and door sticker pressure are both probably wrong if you have a different size tire than stock.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Needs this as a mural on the side.

(Archer reference)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kastein posted:

Hey if it's hellaflush these are still fine, just swap sides :P

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Enourmo posted:

look man im not an idiot who just runs sidewall pressure. the door sticker says 50 psi so that's what i run

Wait, there's a car that recommends 50psi tire pressure? drat.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

davebo posted:

Hey if it's hellaflush these are still fine, just swap sides :P

Just did this with my car. A few track days wore the outside shoulders down close to the wear bars while leaving the center and inside shoulders in much better shape. Swapped 'em, now I can do a couple more track days!

Hm... should probably just get some adjustable camber plates.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Wait, there's a car that recommends 50psi tire pressure? drat.

Pickup trucks, yes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kastein posted:

I'm sure you know this but sidewall pressure and door sticker pressure are both probably wrong if you have a different size tire than stock.

How do you figure proper pressure in that instance?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TotalLossBrain posted:

weeeeelll that about fills the bingo card for "redneck girl" vehicle, except I can't see the heart-shaped browning deer logo pink decal on the back

which simply has to be there

also other commentary on riding cowboys or factual statements about jeeps being a girl thing, etc

and oh wow is that a memorial license plate thing? I've never seen that before, 10 bonus points

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Johnny Aztec posted:

Draw a chalk line on the tire and drive it around the block. If the line is rubbing off equally you're good, if it's rubbing off only in the middle you're over inflated, under inflated if it's rubbing off on the outsides only.

If it rubs off one side or the other you have alignment issues.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have questionable taste but I can't find it in me to like this.

Longer, heavier and less practical? Sign me the gently caress up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Start with an approx figure for your tire size you find on an internet forum dedicated to that platform, then fine tune with the method Geoj gave. Basically, tire width is going to increase contact patch, so is diameter. So in either case you're going to end up with less ground pressure and therefore need less pressure in the tire. Some kinds of tires (super chunky thick mud tires, for instance) are going to need more or less than your calculations would predict based on the stiffness and natural shape of the tire carcass. Radial vs bias ply will affect things a bit too.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I made a calculator using tire pressure, tire size, vehicle weight, and weight distribution to calculate tire deflection. Reverse those equations and plug in a tire size and it'll spit out a new tire pressure. It makes a few assumptions about rubber compound and tire patch shape, but it gets into the ballpark. When I changed my tire from 235mm to 265mm, I found out I needed to change my tire pressure from 35 psi to 29 psi to get the same chord deflection.

But note that you tire patch size will remain nearly identical for a given pressure regardless of tire size within reason. This assumption doesn't work for harder tires like truck or tractor tires.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Funnily enough I just read something about this in the camping and caravan magazine, to get the correct tyre pressures for a motor home the owner got the corner weights and called the manufacturer of the tyre. They got an instant answer of something like 44rr 39fr where the motor home manufacturer recommended a pressure higher than the sidewall max and the salesroom recommended sidewall max, i.e. 80psi.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's a drat good point. The tire maker put a lot of man-decades into designing those tires, simulating how they work on the road under all conditions, and testing them under all conditions, they would know pretty well what pressure to run if you have weights to give them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

All the general guidelines for tire pressure also go right out of the window with race tires. I've had the exact same size tire on the same car need anywhere from 23psi to 48psi when using different manufacturers tires (R compound tires from Hoosier, Khumo, etc., or super-high performance "street" tires like Dunlop Star Specs vs. Bridgestone RE71R).

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

That's what I've got going on in the front of my Grand Cherokee. Both sides are similar, I'm not sure if it's cupping, feathering or heel and toe.

I'm planning on replacing the tie rods, control arms, everything and starting over with stuff that's NOT completely rusted together.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Just read this somewhere:

quote:

Actually the real reason the battery is under the rear seat is simple! The battery is located in the center of the car which means GM saves money by using shorter wiring harnesses. You don't need to go from the front of the car all the way to the trunk with every single wire. Instead of 30 feet of wire you can do this now with 15 feet of wire. Mulitple that by every car built and you have major savings. Do you think GM really cares about an 80 pound battery under the hood of a 2000 pound car?

Its all about the money! I heard this in a GM tech school!!!

And just laughed at how something could write that, talk about math, and not realize how 'length' works.

Or how there isn't really much of any wiring in the back of a car.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 26, 2016

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

gileadexile posted:

Grand Cherokee

Ball joints. My ZJ had strange wear like that on the front when I first bought it. The alignment shop would not touch it until the ball joints were tight. 4 new, plus LCA bushings cured the wear, and poor handling.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

This is definitely not awesome, right?

edit : it is in Missouri somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

gileadexile posted:

That's what I've got going on in the front of my Grand Cherokee. Both sides are similar, I'm not sure if it's cupping, feathering or heel and toe.

I'm planning on replacing the tie rods, control arms, everything and starting over with stuff that's NOT completely rusted together.

That's not cupping, that's just worn ball joints and maybe bushings.
Don't skimp on an alignment after you replace 'em.

e;beaten

DefaultPeanut posted:

Ball joints. My ZJ had strange wear like that on the front when I first bought it. The alignment shop would not touch it until the ball joints were tight. 4 new, plus LCA bushings cured the wear, and poor handling.