Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The TC3 drivetrain is stout as hell, I seem to remember it being used for some crazy world record poo poo back in the day. The only real downside it has is that it is extremely draggy compared to a well set up belt drive car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The issues with shaft drive on road cars is torque steer with high end motors, and if you have an accident (and in the higher classes it is going to be a big one) the shaft can pretty well destroy the drivetrain and tweak the chassis

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

IOwnCalculus posted:

The TC3 drivetrain is stout as hell, I seem to remember it being used for some crazy world record poo poo back in the day. The only real downside it has is that it is extremely draggy compared to a well set up belt drive car.

I think you're right. I've had the diffs and 2-speed apart so many times that I'm afraid the screws won't grab the plastic if I take them out again. With good tires, I've had to set the diffs really tight to keep them from slipping. I'm pretty sure they're ball diffs like the old RC10 stuff, so to run the "big" power from the OS .18(I think it had an AE .10 or .15 when I got it), I had to cinch them down so there's not much differential action. It still works good for bashing though. Las time I raced was 1 time back in 1997 or so with my RC10L. I was leading, hit a barrier, broke one of the hub carriers, and threw it in a box where it still sits to this day.

In other news, I just installed a Traxxas Tqi radio system with TSM, or Traxxas stability Mangement in the 8ight. I already was using a TQi radio, but needed a second one so I scored a cheap new TSM setup on e-bay. Thought it would be fun to give it a try after watching some videos. I was going to mount a helicopter gyro, but this seemed way easier and was a simple drop-in. I had a ball field across from my house that I like to run in. It's dirt covered in fine gravel, so pretty slippery. I'm curious to see what kind of difference the TSM really makes, though the car goes pretty straight as it is(or I'm just really good at countersteering). I was going to put the TSM in my MGT, but that thing just hangs the front wheels in the air when you're on it, and I don't want it slamming down with the front wheels cranked over from the gyro. I'm thinking about attaching a steel bar or something resembling a roll of quarters behind the front bumper just to try to keep it from flipping on its roof. Honestly, most of the stuff I do now is centered on making the cars more reliable and less prone to breakage. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that a gallon of nitro or 6 charged packs ain't worth poo poo if you break something in the first 5 minutes, and I'm sure as hell not taking apart transmissions and diffs anywhere but my workbench. I already shattered one of the big straight-cut tranny gears in the MGT just running it in the ballfield/grass. There was no slop or misalignment, it just knocked a tooth off and ate itself up. That's with a FOC, 2nd gear lock, and 4S MM power.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Well, the TSM was a success. It just simply works, not much more to say. I have it turned down to maybe 20% or so(9 o'clock on the MF knob). If I crank it up too far, like wayyyy to far, it'll dance all over the place because it's making huge corrections. I can now crank the wheel hard to the side, stab the throttle, slide like a boss, and as soon as I let go of the wheel it just locks in to the direction it's ponting and goes perfectly straight. In all honesty the car goes very straight without any assistance, even at full throttle and brake, but it's pretty cool to mess with. Now I'm just waiting for my new servo to show up so I can throw the MM back into the MGT and have some fun on grass. I thought an 1/8 scale buggy would be able to handle short grass, but that is simply not the case. It just spins and spins, while the MGT hooks up everywhere. It spends more time on 2 wheels than 4. The kids also started using the ball fields last week, and the last thing I need is some shithead parent storming up to me asking me why I'm "tearing up" the ball field. I'm pretty sure the total cost of gravel I've thrown out of the thing is about 2 Cents, but I'm not going to get into an argument over it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Getting a hell of a deal on an Arma Talion, so no Kraton for me, just its nearly-clone-brother. Going to go pick it up Friday or Sunday, inspect it, and see if I can't go a little lower, but less than 1/2 of retail already for a still-in-box-no-scuffs-run-on-the-street-twice (according to PO) rig is a pretty solid deal for up here.

And the weekend weather is looking nice.

Hellllll yeah, going to be a good weekend.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Traxxas isn't buying HPI any more...so...there ya go.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

krushgroove posted:

Well, poo poo. I hope that's not as bad a news thing as I'm worried it is.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We're hopeful still. Someday we'll be able to say what happened but for now it's just another couple of chapters to the story.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

krushgroove posted:

We're hopeful still. Someday we'll be able to say what happened but for now it's just another couple of chapters to the story.

Fair enough. Hoping the best for you, and HPI (and your fellow employees) as a whole.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

I had heard that yesterday which gave me quite the :eyepop: it seriously sucks to no end how much this is wrecking the supply chain. HPI EU is the profitable branch too! Hoping for a good outcome soon.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Is Wurth HHS2000 an appropriate lubricant for a nylon gear servo? Was the only plastic-compatible lube I had access to when I fixed mine.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Put a 6S pack in the 8ight today and strapped my old Garmin to it. With the 16/48 gearing I have it ran 74.1 MPH. I had a 20T pinion I was going to try, but the shank wasn't long enough for the grub screw to really grab the motor shaft, so I left it alone. With this kind of power, assuming the tires don't explode, this thing could easily crack 100Mph, no question. It was topped out within about 2 seconds of grabbing all of the throttle. I did it nice and slow so I didn't flip it over backwards or destroy the front tires from having them claw at the pavement. Made about 10 good runs for about a city block or so(topped out RPM-wise within maybe 200 feet), and the motor was only at 110 degrees. Sounded like a little Indy-car going by the house. I'm thinking about looking for some more speed-oriented tires just to have some fun, but if I get bitten by the speed bug, I'm pretty sure I'll destroy it in short order, just to get a meaningless number. I could probably strap 2 4S packs in it for 8s power and give it a try(probably good for ~95 Mph), but I'm not going to risk the ESC and possibly the motor. Much easier to just gear it up or better yet, put taller tires on it and have another go on 6S. I am still astonished by what is possible today in this hobby. I remember back when 100 Mph was the kind of poo poo we saw maybe on Ebaumsworld or Break.com, and that was record-setting.

Tommychu: I don't know if HHS2000 is the right lube, but it's better than nothing. I remember all of my old plastic-gear servos used white lithium grease, but I have since moved to the high-torque metal-gear servos for the 1/8th stuff and never looked back.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Meathole posted:

Tommychu: I don't know if HHS2000 is the right lube, but it's better than nothing. I remember all of my old plastic-gear servos used white lithium grease, but I have since moved to the high-torque metal-gear servos for the 1/8th stuff and never looked back.

Yeah it seems slick enough, and hey if it fails that just gives me a good reason to upgrade.

Speaking of high torque, metal gear servos a guy at work bought this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVsDzkTnZs
That's a warranty issue right? What the hell might be going on here? That's the first power up fresh out of the box, hooked up to the factory Spektrum DX2 tx/rx on a Losi DBXL. Also it got hot as frig, 50c case temp after like 5-10 minutes of dicking with it. Only does it while moving half-sweep CW, CCW and full-sweep CW works perfectly. Does it on both channels (throttle/steering).

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Yeah it seems slick enough, and hey if it fails that just gives me a good reason to upgrade.

Speaking of high torque, metal gear servos a guy at work bought this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVsDzkTnZs
That's a warranty issue right? What the hell might be going on here? That's the first power up fresh out of the box, hooked up to the factory Spektrum DX2 tx/rx on a Losi DBXL. Also it got hot as frig, 50c case temp after like 5-10 minutes of dicking with it. Only does it while moving half-sweep CW, CCW and full-sweep CW works perfectly. Does it on both channels (throttle/steering).

I assume you're referring to the part where it moves about halfway, and then slowly runs to it's limit and hums. If you plug in another servo to the receiver and it's fine, then the issue must be with the servo itself. I've never seen that before, and my overtaxed 1/8 servos don't even get warm to the touch, at least not that I've ever noticed.

In unrelated news, I put all of the electronics back in the MGT, and it is a very very diferent animal that the 8ight buggy. It definitely wheelies with the slightest whiff of throttle, and I have the battery all the way forward. I'm going to try pulling the spring spacers out of the shocks and see if it make an appreciable difference, but the control arms are already nearly flat. I'm beginning to think that the motor is just too much, and even with punch control turned on for the MM, it just limits power for about 1 second and makes acceleration even less predictable when the power is fed in. Now I can see why the power of the lovely-rear end .50 AE nitro motor was actually quite adequate, during the brief times it was running good. More gear won't help, as in, I'm running 4s and the motor temps are good and I don't really want it to go any faster than it already does, sooooooo, rather than gear it up and run it on 3s or 2s.............................

I decided to buy a Kyosho Inferno GT2 VE RTR car, which solves 2 problems. 1. I'll now have a fresh ESC/motor that I can run on 4s in the MGT(putting out less power/torque than I currently have, hopefully, with similar top speed), and I can put the MM system in the inferno. 2. I've always wanted a larger scale on-road car, and the Inferno seems to fit the bill perfectly. I already had a set of GRP velocity tires coming for the buggy, so they'll go right on the Inferno if/when I do some speed run/fast stuff. I also have an abundance of enormous parking lots in great condition to choose from nearby, but my off-road options are very limited. However I justify it, I wanted an 1/8th electric touring car, so I got one. Looks like it has plenty of room under the body for batteries, GPS, or whatever I want to put under there, and I couldn't beat $449 shipped for an RTR like this, especially with the Aston Martin body. Link is below, should be here on Friday.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Inferno-GT2-VE-Race-SPEC-Aston_p_11086.html

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This thread needs some updates. Have a look at some of my cool updates on the RR10:

Current specs:
  • Castle MMP/Castle 10A BEC/Tekin ROC412 3100KV/4100 mAh 3S LiPo
  • Hitec 7954SH steering servo
  • Axial universal front drives, Vanquish "scale" C-Hubs and "scale" knuckles in grey anodizing
  • Vanquish Method 101 machined aluminum wheel and Vanquish SLW hubs
  • Axial R35 compound KR2 BF Goodrich tires and two stage Crawler Innovations foam inserts
  • Incision RC stainless steel link set
  • Pro-Line Pro-Spec "rear" sized shocks.

Future upgrades:
  • Vanquish Currie Anti-Rock sway bar
  • Vanquish lower rear trailing arms in black
  • Pro-Line light bar and RC4WD Squadron lights (this week!)
  • Incision RC spools for when the stocks give up
  • Axial HD diff gears when I upgrade the spools
  • different painted body panels

I am seriously considering the Vanquish F9 Currie axle housings. That will largely depend on if I still like going fast with it or make it strictly a crawler only.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I painted a new body for my Savage Flux today. More things needs Frankenstrat paint jobs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ooh, looks nice!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Hi AI. I want to make this truck:

My plan is to have a CO2 powered Nerf dart launcher in the bed that I can control remotely, along with a front-facing camera and a gun-mounted camera.

I'm not too concerned with speed or making sick jumps, but I am concerned with it looking somewhat accurate. I looked at various platforms at a local hobby shop and they were all too springy, plus the bodies were too flimsy and had no space in the bed. Making my own chassis isn't an issue for me if there's nothing in this realm designed to hold all this crap, but I'd prefer to work with some sort of kit. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tamiya Toyota Mountain Rider, Ford F-350 High Lift, Toyota Bruiser, and Toyota Hilux High Lift are all pretty heavy duty kits from what I recall.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd check out some of the scale crawler forums. A lot of those guys will use axels / frame rails from a kit and do everything else custom. A place to star would be figuring out how big the bed needs to be.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hope you don't mind some parking lot bashing photos. As long as the weather keeps up, this will be a weekly thing.

The regular ramp had gotten easy, so we started driving it around with an SCX10

The Broken Wheel Crew

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 18, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

an AOL chatroom posted:

Hope you don't mind some parking lot bashing photos. As long as the weather keeps up, this will be a weekly thing.

*snip cool stuff*

I will never, ever complain about someone posting pics in this thread.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I knew this was you on Reddit.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

So, looks like a leak of a new revised SCX10 II is out. Looks cool - Cherokee body. Will be interesting to find out what all the differences are.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I would assume a lot like the RC4WD with improvements...such a shame the Venture was delayed.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

krushgroove posted:

I would assume a lot like the RC4WD with improvements...such a shame the Venture was delayed.

It really is. The Venture looks amazing, and getting more competition in that segment is a good thing.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Siochain posted:

So, looks like a leak of a new revised SCX10 II is out. Looks cool - Cherokee body. Will be interesting to find out what all the differences are.

Yeah - the body alone has got me very interested. It is very scale looking and seeing how they have been pushing so hard for licensing I think the underpinnings will look great too. Some have speculated leaf springs, but I don't think they will go for that. It would be an interesting option though.

krushgroove posted:

The Venture, the Hoonicorn, the 5R. It does suck and I am still looking forward to the day that they see the market!

In other news, Losi is hanging their balls out right in front of everyone by releasing an unassemled 1/5 5IVE Buggy kit that is a purpose built racer. Good for them!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah that Losi should make things interesting at the Large Scale Off-Road Euro's, the FG and Marder type cars are really boring and MCD were the only ones with a 1/8th buggy type car. But I doubt Losi will be sponsoring anyone to go. Will be interesting!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
1/5 scale is probably too big for me. I'm undecided if 1/8 is too big for me, tbh.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

1/5 scale is probably too big for me. I'm undecided if 1/8 is too big for me, tbh.

1/8th is beautiful. I so very want a 1/5th. Maybe next year, if the budget allows :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Whelp, made the mistake of letting the wife's sisters SO play with the Talion. Rather than take my advice of "take it slow and get a feel for it", he just went full-bore. Tumbled it a few times, no biggie, then was an idiot and jumped it towards a bunch of trees. Slammed into them rear end-end first. Wing mounts broke off, bent the rear shock tower plate, and broke one of the rod-ends on the shock itself. Not the worst, but she's down and out until parts get in.

Next time the fucker can buy his own RC hahah.

Still was a fun weekend.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Another installment of Parking Lot Night photos!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Just got word my Kraken VEKTA will be at my door on Friday.

Excited only begins to describe my emotions. :circlefap:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just bought this on ebay:

You push a button on the remote and the dino spits water. I'm going to turn it into a flame thrower. :getin:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Those parking lot photos are amazing. Please keep them coming!

Did any of the cars break on landing from that big ramp?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

Those parking lot photos are amazing. Please keep them coming!

Did any of the cars break on landing from that big ramp?

Thanks! A few bits fell out here and there, but nothing major. Thing is, as long as you hit it straight on, you've got plenty of time in the air to rotate so you'll land correctly. Also, Slashes are pretty resilient once you do a few basic upgrades.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
So, I got the inferno GT2. First impression was mixed. I love the body, it's absolutely beautiful, but it is very very flimsy. The stock electronics were ok, with ok power on 4s, but the tires may as well have been made out of ice, complete garbage. Everything got torn apart, the GRP tires went on, Mamba Monster went in, as well as the TQi TSM radio system. Filled the diffs, shimmed everything, and got a decent servo put in, along with a different motor mount so I can run big pinions. I finally found a "Dragonslayer" heatsink on Ebay that seems to work really really well at managing motor temperature with big gearing.

On 4S with a 20-24 tooth pinion(hell, even a 29) and warm tires, the car is an absolute blast. It handles very predictably and has gobs of power and top speed. You can really get it to drift controllably coming out of turns, but it's tendency is understeer which is fine with me. I'm honestly very happy and not trying to set up the "perfect" handling balance. On 6s, it actually makes me laugh. I started gearing up and doing speed runs. Hit 71 MPH with a 24 tooth on 6s like it was nothing. I put in the 29 tooth and went to a great street nearby to give it a go. I was a little worried about the body deforming at speed, but I had no idea what was about to happen.

I warmed up the tires, took it way up the street, and started the run fairly slowly. It looked and sounded great, and then right when the car was about 50 feet away, at full throittle, I heard a buzzing noise, and within a split-second it sounded like the body exploded and the car jumped about 2 feet in the air and skidded another 100+ feet to a stop. I looked at the GPS and it was sitting at 78 MPH. Now I know why the speed run guys talk about fiberglassing their bodies. I had run it up to 70 MPH a dozen times and it was as stable as could be, but above that I sure there were some crazy pressure changes and vibration going on.

The damage to the car was 0, and there were a few cracks in the body that I epoxied. However, I realized that no amount of band-aids would allow me to safely run this body at anything approaching 100 MPH, and it looked so good I didn't want to destroy it. I went online, and the internet said to get an Ipanema Warrior body, so I got one. If guys running 150+ use it, I'm sure it will be just fine for me. Just arrived today and it looks as good as a $60 piece of clear Lexan can. I'll get it painted up, install the matching bumper that's coming, and have another go at it. I've realized that high speed runs are definitely something that take more than just big motors and gears. I'm a little worried about the center driveshafts, so I'll probably get a set of CVD's just to get rid of some of the slop and vibration that's going on. I would prefer to get a set of taller XO-1 tires so I can run shorter gearing and less RPM through the drivetrain, but I don't think they'll fit under the body without cutting the poo poo out of it and making it look ridiculous. Plus they'll probably rub on the inside, and I need to keep the body as low as possible to help manage airflow. I'll get it figured out soon enough.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Interesting news - HPI has now been bought. Sounds like a good fit?

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/ripmax-buys-hpi-racing/

Anyone more in the know care/able to comment?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Siochain posted:

It's a way better fit than Traxxas ever would have been, and it's much better than HPI going totally out of business.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Siochain posted:

Interesting news - HPI has now been bought. Sounds like a good fit?

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/ripmax-buys-hpi-racing/

I heard about this about a month ago. HPI has been losing money and sadly had to get rid of its factory on road driver team. I hope they do come back strong again.