Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Come on a compelling reason to use Android Pay... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Come on Capital One... :negative:

(does not work despite the lies on android.com)

Yeah, I just tried to add it and it still says Bankcorp for the virtual number. Liars.

Oh well, the capital one app works functionally the same (in the rare instances that NFC payments are accepted.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

Android Pay gets a bunch of new bank support. One notable addition is Capital One.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/24/capitol-one-comes-android-pay-along-bunch-banks/

Chase delenda est.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Android Pay is the sd cards of money.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Skeezy posted:

Come on Simple :negative:

Simple works great on samsung pay.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, using your phone instead of a card will always be more awkward. It's like using your phone instead of a light switch. It's not better. There's no benefit.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I have got to be missing something here. Google is pretty terrible at UI design, but there is no way they hosed up something so basic and essential to using a smartphone this badly.

How the hell do I select AM or PM in the Android 6.0 time picker? I've tried giving the hour hand a full turn, tapping the AM/PM indicator, swiping, two-finger swiping, double-tapping the dial controls, and nothing works.

I can work around this by temporarily switching the time to 24-hour format, but that's a ridiculous solution. According to Google Search, I'm apparently the only one having this problem because I'm turning up zero relevant results on this issue (hence why I'm asking here).

I'm using un-rooted Android 6.0.1 on a Nexus 6, if that matters.

Edit: never mind. God dammit, Google. It turns out you have to have baby fingers to work the "AM" and "PM" controls, and instead of it toggling when you press it, it only changes if you select the inactive one. This effectively halves the touch area. Each one of these non-button buttons is about 1/8" wide and 1/16" tall, so you have to press really firmly for it to even register. This is the same company that bitches at you in mobile usability reports if your touch elements are too close. They should really follow their own rules.

Why they didn't make the entire AM/PM a single touch control that toggles is beyond me (or make it change on its own when you spin the hour hand around one turn like I tried first).

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 25, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You select the hour first, it has the full 24 hrs with pm in the middle ring

When you release it you then get the screen you are on and can select the minute

E: oh wait you don't have it on 24hr

Then yes just selecting am/pm?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 25, 2016

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Skarsnik posted:

You select the hour first, it has the full 24 hrs with pm in the middle ring

When you release it you then get the screen you are on and can select the minute

Nope, that only happens when the OS is set to 24-hour format. Here's a better screenshot that shows what I see:

As you probably saw from my edit, I figured it out, but I still think this is a pretty badly implemented interface. I have fairly skinny fingers and I still have trouble selecting the AM/PM controls on a Nexus 6, a phone that has DPI scaling set higher than actual (560 vs. 493 ppi), meaning on-screen elements are even bigger than intended.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 25, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seems fairly self explanatory to me?

I just tried it out and could happily mash it with my thumb, it didn't need a tiny finger

Or you could just leave it on 24hr like an adult but whatever

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Skarsnik posted:

What is childish about using am/pm? :psyduck:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Skarsnik posted:

Seems fairly self explanatory to me?

I just tried it out and could happily mash it with my thumb, it didn't need a tiny finger

I thought it was self-explanatory, too, until I hit the AM/PM display two or three times and it didn't respond. Never mind that this behavior is inconsistent with the rest of the time controls. You manipulate the hour and minute by turning the dials. The same should be true for AM/PM (it should switch when you turn the hour dial past the "12" mark).

I know it's not just me. Google's own mobile usability guidelines say you shouldn't make controls this small.

Skarsnik posted:

Welcome to babby land

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 25, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why am I not surprised

Curious now, do stuff like news channels in merica not have a 24hr clock too?

I honestly don't remember the last time I saw one in adult land here

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Canada, Australia, New Zealand, all noted child lands. No adults allowed.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, using your phone instead of a card will always be more awkward. It's like using your phone instead of a light switch. It's not better. There's no benefit.

Dunno man. I use a budgeting tool on my phone to log all my transactions so it's a lot easier for me to have one thing in my hand that I'm going to both pay and log the payment with, than it is to juggle my phone and wallet and whatever I just bought at the checkout. More often than not I just stuff the receipt in my wallet so I can do it later which sometimes leads to me forgetting to do it. So all in all I'd much rather pay with my phone.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my phone to call up the YNAB payment screen after I pay for something with Android Pay. Anyone know how I might be able to do that? Tasker, or ITTT, or something?

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 25, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik I live in the Land of the Idiots Free and believe me when I say that interpreting a 24 hour clock in public will get you drowned for being a witch.

That said, what kind of person uses AM/PM?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I honestly didn't realise it was a thing

I just assumed any digital clock would default to 24 hr because that's sensible?

Do they not teach it in schools or something? Is it seen as a military only thing?

The news channel thing was a genuine question btw

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, pretty much nothing outside of the military uses it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I just assumed any digital clock would default to 24 hr because that's sensible?

Do they not teach it in schools or something? Is it seen as a military only thing?

Our digital clocks CAN'T EVEN DISPLAY 24 hour time. I work overnight so all timekeeping is with a 24 hour clock and I'm not exaggerating when I say 19 out of 20 people need a cheat sheet to tell you what time it is. No one can do it in their heads.

Americans are RETARDED.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

It's just cultural standards. There's no massive motive to change, and because we grew up with AM/PM, 24-hour time takes just slightly more effort to register, since we'll always end doing in-head conversions from 20:00 to 8:00 because that's how we think of time.

And because we're used to it that way, our kids grow up with it as the norm, they think of time that way, and it never changes. It's like Americans and penises.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 25, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What a world we live in

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zorilla posted:

You manipulate the hour and minute by turning the dials.

What? Just tap on the digit, you don't need to drag the indicator around.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

hooah posted:

What? Just tap on the digit, you don't need to drag the indicator around.

I've been screaming this at the top of my lungs into my phone the entire time I've been reading this page

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like spinning it

weeeee

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I've been screaming this at the top of my lungs into my phone the entire time I've been reading this page

This thread is often visited by beings from the black and white parts of infomercials.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Google's design process for messaging apps is like

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hypothetically you can tap, but it's best to tap and drag if you want to get an exact minute.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DEAR THREAD NONE OF MY CONTACTS CARRIED OVER TO MY NEW PHONE UGH GOOGLE THIS IS WHY I DON'T LET THEM STORE PHONE NUMBERS

HEY THREAD MY TURBO ISNT GETTING AN UPDATE YET

SUP THREAD I ROOTED MY PHONE AND NOW IT'S RESTARTING EVERY FIVE MINUTES

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MikeJF posted:

Hypothetically you can tap, but it's best to tap and drag if you want to get an exact minute.

Sure, but there's no reason to drag very far.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Whizbang posted:

Google's design process for messaging apps is like

Yep. I can't see why after ~8 years they can't seem to settle on a single application to implement. Why can't there be a simple SMS/MMS option with built-in WiFi messaging? Why are there like 4 apps that do the same thing a little differently?

I can picture these teams not even talking to each other about what they are developing. Right now I'm using Textra because Messenger wouldn't pick up MMS on Cricket, and Textra has some issues, although is better with it. :negative:

edit: The Android Thread - :negative:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Honestly I can't fathom a reason you'd need to be woken up at a specific time, like 1:38am or something. If you need something specific, just set a timer, since it's probably something you need with in the next few minutes.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yep. I can't see why after ~8 years they can't seem to settle on a single application to implement. Why can't there be a simple SMS/MMS option with built-in WiFi messaging? Why are there like 4 apps that do the same thing a little differently?

I can picture these teams not even talking to each other about what they are developing. Right now I'm using Textra because Messenger wouldn't pick up MMS on Cricket, and Textra has some issues, although is better with it. :negative:

edit: The Android Thread - :negative:

The issue with this is the you either have an iMessage like scenario where it locks you in to the point of class action lawsuit when you leave or you have to split it up. There's no good scenario.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly I can't fathom a reason you'd need to be woken up at a specific time, like 1:38am or something. If you need something specific, just set a timer, since it's probably something you need with in the next few minutes

I've got an alarm set for 18:58 to remind me to buy some tickets that go on sale at 7 tonight

Did I mention I like spinning it round?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TenaciousTomato posted:

What issues are you having with Textra?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skarsnik posted:

I've got an alarm set for 18:58 to remind me to buy some tickets that go on sale at 7 tonight

Did I mention I like spinning it round?

I get this, but how would that be impacted by setting it to an even 5 minutes, 18:55.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly I can't fathom a reason you'd need to be woken up at a specific time, like 1:38am or something. If you need something specific, just set a timer, since it's probably something you need with in the next few minutes.

"OK Google now set an alarm for 1:38 am"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've had to do that occasionally, but I can't remember why, so it must not have been important!

I like that it seems to "snap" to the 5 minute increment when you tap, but every once in a while it won't and I need to drag it back into place, which ends up being super fiddly cause I'm not used to doing that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Powers posted:

"OK Google now set an alarm for 1:38 am"

Can OK Google do "set alarm for an hour and a half from now"? Every time I try, it fucks up royally. (saying "90 minutes from now" does the job)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Uthor posted:

Can OK Google do "set alarm for an hour and a half from now"? Every time I try, it fucks up royally. (saying "90 minutes from now" does the job)

Works for me but that could be because of me using a clearly superior language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

RZA Encryption posted:

I thought like this until I got the "Use Android Pay X times and get a free Chromecast offer" and found out that tap to pay is way faster than the new chip readers which are starting to pop up. At the newer style terminals where you swype/insert/tap your payment method yourself without needing to hand it to a cashier it wasn't awkward or inconvenient either.

I still use my regular credit cards because I use different cards for different categories of purchases and switching between them on the phone is a little awkward but someone will probably come up with a solution for that eventually.