Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The stride is when they make it the Doctor and Seven-of-Nine show. Its a terrible stride, slow and uncomfortable, but it very much is the show's stride. It also a stride that collapses into painfully dragging itself across the floor as soon as everything starts to revolve around an Irish holodeck village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I quite enjoyed the holovillage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If Voyager was just a poo poo show nobody would care about it so much, the thing that drove every Trek fan up the wall was that it started out with a brilliant loving premise and setup that then instantly got pissed away so they could just alternate between rehashing TNG scripts and doing stupid ratings stunts for Paramount's abortion of a TV network.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

But it won a daytime Emmy or something.

It got an Emmy for makeup.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Still can't believe Picard was such a dick to him with that "you're drinking the gift I got Guinan" passive aggressive poo poo.

I wish I could interview at least one or two of the late-TNG writers, because one of the questions I would love to ask is "so did you guys ever pick up on how weirdly cliquey you started to write the cast?"

Also "did you guys set about making the Enterprise a flying death trap on purpose, or did that just kind of happen?"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I imagine the reason the enterprise had a councilor was because all the early childhood trauma the kids on board endured.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Remember how Voyager had bio-gel to deliver information around the ship? Yeah, they forgot about that too after one episode.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Crowned posted:

Remember how Voyager had bio-gel to deliver information around the ship? Yeah, they forgot about that too after one episode.

No, Neelix made some cheese that almost killed all of it one episode.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They really got warned away from proceeding with their obvious "what if we had someone play Data but it was the ship itself" setup. Probably the powerful extras guild who feared a tech shift that keep their lucrative staring-at-LCARS panels gig affloat.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

The General posted:

Come on. I'll start too. Who's with me?

I've been slowly working through all of Trek, and I just finished TNG and season 2 of DS9, so it's time to start Voyager I guess...

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

vortmax posted:

I've been slowly working through all of Trek, and I just finished TNG and season 2 of DS9, so it's time to start Voyager I guess...

You bet your butt it is!

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

The stride is when they make it the Doctor and Seven-of-Nine show. Its a terrible stride, slow and uncomfortable, but it very much is the show's stride. It also a stride that collapses into painfully dragging itself across the floor as soon as everything starts to revolve around an Irish holodeck village.

Oh man, the painful memories. I tried re-watching the series but it's just one cringefest after another, and then there's the crushing sense of wasted opportunity that's been said so many times, and far better than I could put it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Finish all of DS9 first so that Voyager's many faults feel like a plot to break your psyche like that play Riker was trapped in.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Remember when Harry got stuck in a computer program and a virus clown was gonna kill him, haha oh Harry

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The one way Voyager could potentially redeem itself is by being ridiculous and corny enough to make me at least laugh at it

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
In hindsight, it's really hard to see how we (?) were all so oblivious to Chakotay's (now) obvious disdain for the show. It makes so much more sense after reading through this thread.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That episode of training the Maquis crew to shut up, suppress their ego and do what they are told was a hilarious in-joke lesson on ol' Tatface that went unlearned. Well done writers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Doubled up.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
http://www.firsttvdrama.com/funstuff/beltran.php3

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

On the 5th season of my 5th rewatch. The only ones i skip are the gay captain proton episodes.

I also like voyager better than lame space 9

Harry kim and the kimtones forever

finally someone agrees with me!

DS9 was a loving space soap opera they don't even go anywhere it's not even a TREK FFS

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

psychokitty posted:

DS9 was a loving space soap opera they don't even go anywhere it's not even a TREK FFS

they were explorers of the human condition

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

psychokitty posted:

They go to plenty of places and then blow up the places

Once they stopped trying to rehash TNG, DS9 became this amazingly brutal war story. It almost completely destroys the bullshit utopia that TNG set up and it's fantastic.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You can only choose one.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

:colbert:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

You're sick Jessie, sick sick sick.

naem
May 29, 2011

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Remember when Harry got stuck in a computer program and a virus clown was gonna kill him, haha oh Harry

This was easily the worst trek episode I had ever watched, which made Move Along Home shakespearian by comparison. That being said, after I finished up DS9, VOY became my go-to 'watch in bed before we go to sleep' show. I was prepared for it to be awful but after 6 seasons bland really IS a much better description. The most surprising thing is that Neelix is a lot less jarjar like than I thought he'd be, although I really wish him and Quark would stop shopping at the upholstery fabric store.

Related:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:perfect:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Now you, I like.

naem
May 29, 2011

I mean if they do another trek ever it's just going to be strippers with alien makeup lotioning each other for 40 minutes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

naem posted:

I mean if they do another trek ever it's just going to be strippers with alien makeup lotioning each other for 40 minutes

YOu make that sound like a bad thing

naem
May 29, 2011

The warp core is just going to be a stripper pole with some Christmas lights

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

naem posted:

Already been done.

Might as well just go full Kirk and gently caress their way across the galaxy.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Well you've definitely got a point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

naem posted:

The warp core is just going to be a stripper pole with some Christmas lights

I think I'm going to go visit Engineering after work

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

psychokitty posted:

you can be wrong together then

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
sweet mons

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you can be wrong together then

I LOVE VOYAGER AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT AND THINKS I'M WRONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

The comments are so butthurtish. "They made mooooorrreee!" it couldnt possibly be poo poo writing