Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

pienipple posted:

Pilot stopped making the 78G and sold it to Hero/Wing Sung. The B and BB nibs were small stubs similar to the Plumix nib, 1.0 and 1.2 respectively IIRC. Pilot doesn't offer much in the way of really broad nibs.

Lamy makes 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9 mm italics for it's pens, and they're easy to swap.

I have a TWSBI Eco with the 1.1 nib and like it a lot, I find it significantly bolder than the Lamy 1.1.

One of my other daily writers is a Vista with the 1.5 nib.

Pilot has true Broad and Double Broad nibs available for the 742 and 912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

grack posted:

Pilot has true Broad and Double Broad nibs available for the 742 and 912

Buy a $150+ pen to put the nib in a metro!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pienipple posted:

Buy a $150+ pen to put the nib in a metro!

:colbert:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Is that a custom 74 nib?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pienipple posted:

Is that a custom 74 nib?

Nope, 912

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

terrible depths indeed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

push it in deeper :dong:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Now do it with a VP nib. :getin:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

grack posted:

Nope, 912

I can only hope the rest of the pen was irrevocably destroyed but the nib was salvaged by sticking it in a metro body.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I was supposed to find a hobby cheaper than knitting/crochet, but instead I do this...

pienipple posted:

Check goulet's close outs, there were some al-star+ filofax gift sets marked down to less than the pen alone recently. I ended up getting the copper orange one.

This was a really good catch, I'm going to grab one of those as well as a lamy broad nib, I will hold off on the italic nibs... (I really want to buy the italic nibs) Also it turns out that my Pilot Metros both have fine nibs but my order from massdrop clearly says they were supposed to be fine + medium. Too bad I waited so long before actually using them/checking.

I do have one question though, some of these nibs say "stub" and others dont say anything at all. Is it just referring to the point on the nib being flat? Or is there something I'm missing?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

For your purposes, stub and italic are basically the same thing, meaning they give a broad, flat line on a down stroke and a much thinner line on a cross stroke. Ones that just have a one or two letter size like XF, F, M, B, those are ordinary nibs and will give a constant line width. Stubs/italics will almost always be sized with numbers, indicating width of the line in millimeters.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

don't those things weigh like half a pound?

I honestly haven't noticed it being significantly heavier than my TWSBI 580AL, though it is a much smaller pen when you sit them side by side.

The big thing I love is the olive green anodized aluminum body with the upgraded brass grip section. It's gorgeous, and the nib flows smooth. The extra fine nib doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same fineness as my Pilot Metro fine, but for the purposes of my daily work it should be fine. My fiance paired the pen with Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin, and it's amazing!

When I first got into this hobby I thought I'd be fine with a single Pilot Metro, and that any pen over $25 was insane. Now I've got two pens that were just under the $100 mark, and I'm saving towards spending quite a bit on an heirloom restoration. Should have just stuck to woodworking haha.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Decided to try a modern gold-nibbed Parker so I bought a Sonnet with an 18k nib.

What a POS. I've got Chinese copies that came with smoother and better adjusted nibs. Even bought the damned thing from an official retailer so I know it's not fake.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

grack posted:

Decided to try a modern gold-nibbed Parker so I bought a Sonnet with an 18k nib.

What a POS. I've got Chinese copies that came with smoother and better adjusted nibs. Even bought the damned thing from an official retailer so I know it's not fake.

Parkers are a cheap Chinese pen in a fancier casing (the good Parker factory in the UK got shut down a few years back and production moved to some apparently mediocre shop elsewhere in Europe). The only ok Parker pens are cheap pens like the Vector or maybe possibly the Duofold, everything inbetween targets the lowest common denominator. Keep in mind that Parker is literally the mid tier pen division of Newell Rubbermaid (premium is Waterman) :v:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 14, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

blowfish posted:

Parkers are a cheap Chinese pen in a fancier casing (the good Parker factory in the UK got shut down a few years back and production moved to some apparently mediocre shop elsewhere in Europe). The only ok Parker pens are cheap pens like the Vector or maybe possibly the Duofold, everything inbetween targets the lowest common denominator. Keep in mind that Parker is literally the mid tier pen division of Newell Rubbermaid (premium is Waterman) :v:

Which is all very sad, as Parker has one of the proudest places in American fountain pen history. All fountain pen history, really, with the 51.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Hey, don't compare Parker to cheap Chinese pens, that's just rude. Besides, my Kaigelu 356 came with a much better nib.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I have my LAMY broad and I love it so much!! Yay for wasting money!

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
So is the pilot metro where we get the term metro-sexual?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

maporfic posted:

as great as the pen is, nope that's been around since the late 90's or early 00's.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How old is the Metro?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got my super sturdy Kokuyo B5 binder a few weeks ago. This thing is very sturdy, and the rings are innovative. However, it's better suited for mid-term archiving than my day-to-day writing. One big issue is if I am writing on the back of a sheet--namely that the sheet is on the left-hand side of the rings--the binder rings are crimping my style. Is there something else I can get for the day-to-day editing? I'm just using a clipboard here at home, but I look like a dick writing chores down on it.

Edit: I see the Kokuyo smart ring binders, and they look novel, but I was hoping for something with a hard backing so I can write on it in somewhat awkward areas. My home office gets very cluttered when I have my laptop docked here with something else going on at the same time. The solution might just be that I buy a smart ring binder, a lovely clipboard, and take a saw and drill to it to make a hardback I can use with it. Hmm...

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 18, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Turn the binder 180 degrees so you're writing upside down on the back page? That's what I do.

maporfic posted:

What exactly are you doing with your fountain pens?

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

grack posted:

What exactly are you doing with your fountain pens?

Posting them, obviously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So my birthday is coming up, and that made me do a rash thing.

For as much crap as Visconti gets, so far I'm really enjoying the pen. The nib, a medium, is maybe the smoothest i've ever used, and I mean come on, look how gorgeous it is.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Some Visconti pens can be quite handsome. I'd love to have one of those Manhattan Wall Street pens Goulet has in red, but holy poo poo are they not worth the sticker price to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hey, when Visconti gets it right the pens write beautifully, no argument there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Hey, when Visconti gets it right the pens write beautifully, no argument there.

Yeah, that came across as maybe a little argumentative, which I didn't intend. I was trying for more yay, I got a good Visconti nib.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Some of their music / composer series pens are totally beautiful, but no way could I personally justify the price. Granted, my price range for a pen is the sub-50$ area, but it is nice to window-shop.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

howe_sam posted:

So my birthday is coming up, and that made me do a rash thing.

For as much crap as Visconti gets, so far I'm really enjoying the pen. The nib, a medium, is maybe the smoothest i've ever used, and I mean come on, look how gorgeous it is.

I like that it's in a TWSBI case. Best "sorry for the trouble" from CS ever?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I have 2 questions.

1. Are there any secret problems w/ cleaning a fountain pen (with water) too often? I assume not, but figured i would ask.
2. Are there any secret problems w/ repeatedly putting very little ink into a converter?

These two questions are related because I am currently putting a small amount of ink into the lamy to test colors an am cleaning in between colors so I can test all the colors. I would hate to find out that I'm ruining the lifetime of my pen or something. Also I am putting off doing real work by making this post ;)

EDIT: Oh yea there is talk on this page about expensive pens. Here is the Diplomat Aero that was on Massdrop for much more money than I am willing to spend on a pen, but it is sure nice to dream.

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 23, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GenericGirlName posted:

I have 2 questions.

1. Are there any secret problems w/ cleaning a fountain pen (with water) too often? I assume not, but figured i would ask.
2. Are there any secret problems w/ repeatedly putting very little ink into a converter?

These two questions are related because I am currently putting a small amount of ink into the lamy to test colors an am cleaning in between colors so I can test all the colors. I would hate to find out that I'm ruining the lifetime of my pen or something. Also I am putting off doing real work by making this post ;)

EDIT: Oh yea there is talk on this page about expensive pens. Here is the Diplomat Aero that was on Massdrop for much more money than I am willing to spend on a pen, but it is sure nice to dream.

Nope, that's totally fine. In fact, you'll find that many of us change the ink in our pens fairly often just to try something new.

So in other news, this TWSBI fanboy final broke down and bought a Lamy Al-Star (2015 Copper) in medium. Great color, nice pen! I still won't give up my TWSBIs (I feel like that dude with a crazy sports car that requires way too much upkeep), but it's a solid pen and the build quality is really, really high. If nothing else, it was kind of a big hole in my collection.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GenericGirlName posted:

I have 2 questions.

No, unless you're using some 1940s pen with a casein barrel that mustn't get splashed with water (or ink for that matter).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This morning before going to work I did a hurried refill of my favorite workhorse pilot metro and where I thought it was filled with golden brown, it was actually ancient copper.

So now halfway of a page of notes the hue changes slightly. For some reason this bothers me way more than that time I went from Silver Fox to Grape. Also I am pissed I couldn't see the difference or misidentified Ancient Copper for Golden Brown.
Also I hope the mixing inks wont clog the pen.

This hobby is the most benign addiction I have in my life and outside of this thread there is nobody who will understand. So thanks I guess.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Keetron posted:

This morning before going to work I did a hurried refill of my favorite workhorse pilot metro and where I thought it was filled with golden brown, it was actually ancient copper.

So now halfway of a page of notes the hue changes slightly. For some reason this bothers me way more than that time I went from Silver Fox to Grape. Also I am pissed I couldn't see the difference or misidentified Ancient Copper for Golden Brown.
Also I hope the mixing inks wont clog the pen.

This hobby is the most benign addiction I have in my life and outside of this thread there is nobody who will understand. So thanks I guess.

It could be worse. Your favorite workhorse could be a very rare forest-green Sheaffer fat-model touchdown with an accountant's EF nib that arrived bent because your favorite pen seller got lazy during his last few months in business. Or a $800 Pelikan that you purchased instead of paying to have your car fixed.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Got my grandma a blue Pilot metro with a medium nib and some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo ink for her birthday. She used fountain pens growing up and couldn't believe the pen + converter was only $20 because of how well it writes. Seeing old people happy is pretty :3:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

My Man Shran posted:

It could be worse. Your favorite workhorse could be a very rare forest-green Sheaffer fat-model touchdown with an accountant's EF nib that arrived bent because your favorite pen seller got lazy during his last few months in business. Or a $800 Pelikan that you purchased instead of paying to have your car fixed.

Benign hobby, not malign.
You however have a problem.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

In non-putting-myself-in-to-the-poorhouse-buying-fountain-pen news, I bought a Parker 180 off of eBay $25. I need to shop eBay while on migraine meds more often.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Keetron posted:

Benign hobby, not malign.
You however have a problem.

That might not be me. FPN is full of terribles etc.

I am currently shopping for the traditional newjobpen, however. I'm thinking an all-copper Tactile Turn Gist or a big, black Sheaffer Legacy to give My Man PFM some company.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Got myself set up with a fine nib Pilot Metro and a bottle of of black Noodler's Ink. Writing is now really fun.

Thank-you, this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Captain Blaargh posted:

Got myself set up with a fine nib Pilot Metro and a bottle of of black Noodler's Ink. Writing is now really fun.

Thank-you, this thread.

I can't wait to look at your post history in this thread in a year. With this hobby, if you get the bug you get it pretty bad.