Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still waiting for the match where I use Mercy's lshift to float up to a Pharah who gets killed at the height of my jump, I look down, floating gracefully onto the point, and rez 5 teammates at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

DeusExMchna posted:

Solo queue is nice because if I'm playing poorly it's not goons I'm letting down :ohdear:

The nice thing about this game is that they don't list everyone's statistics on the scoreboard so your teammates will never realize they're carrying your finely sculpted ninja rear end

Dragongem posted:

I got the Mach T Tracer skin but I'm really bad at her. Any tips?

Recall to prevent embarrassment after blinking off the edge of a cliff. your ultimate charges quickly so don't be afraid to lob it at a wall in a blind panic and blow yourself up

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

A roadhog that can hook a tracer is invaluable

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dragongem posted:

Tracer is a skirmisher. You should be using your mobility to get behind the enemy team through side routes. Engage people by Blinking in to short range, peppering them with LMB, and then either retreating (if too many people have turned to focus you down) or using Blink to dodge around them. If you get injured, either use Recall to recover your HP or Blink away to the nearest health pack. You need to track well and aim for headshots to really deal serious damage on her, which is why she sometimes feels anemic in unskilled hands. I complain about her a lot, but she does require a lot of practice to use well, so don't be discouraged if you end up getting gibbed a bunch.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Efexeye posted:

It seems like it has a range of 'the map'

Actually, the Mercy ult used to be MUCH worse. It used to have a range of 40 meters and I'm pretty sure she didn't need LoS for the res. Now it's 15 meters, she still doesn't needs LoS, and she can shift charge to dead players to get into position.

Edit for correction

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 25, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Actually, the Mercy ult used to be MUCH worse. It used to have a range of 40 meters and I'm pretty sure she didn't need LoS for the res. Now it's 15 meters and she needs LoS, but she can shift charge to dead players to get into position.

She doesn't need LoS. I've ressed people through the floor and behind walls multiple times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Imagine a world where Zenyatta has 300 hp

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

A roadhog that can hook a tracer is invaluable

i hooked some tracer in pre-game while she was midwarp (i don't know how other than hitscan connection before the warp triggered), killed her, and got called a hacker before she quit

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

immortal flow posted:

How on earth is one to counter a pro Tracer? I've been on both teams now - in one, the other 5 of us hardly saw an enemy and the enemy team just spent the time chatting with us from spawn or getting picked off after stepping out. On the other, my blood pressure felt dangerously elevated.

I can counter them as a McCree perhaps once or twice until they wise up, then they git gud before my very eyes and it's back to square one.

Ive seen pro McCrees poo poo all over Tracers. Like it was a team of three Tracers vs a team with two McCrees and the McCrees would constantly poo poo on them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rafza posted:

i hooked some tracer in pre-game while she was midwarp (i don't know how other than hitscan connection before the warp triggered), killed her, and got called a hacker before she quit

It's really loving horrible how big the difference between what you're actually doing and what the enemy actually sees is in this game. I had a Mercy kill me without pulling out her pistol. She said she hit me with it and she must have done so, but on my screen she was holding her heal stick and she was holding it in the killcam too.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Dragongem posted:

Flank and don't stick around to spray your pistols more than once or twice. Always try to come from behind. Also make sure to aim for heads as well. Pick your targets wisely too. Get rid of turrets, kill the supports, and lower health heroes. You generally won't fair that well against tanks unless they're really not paying attention or you have your ult. As with any other heroes memorize the health pack locations. You'll often be out on your own, so these are going to help keep you alive while your teleport skills are cooling down.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Really, the nasty bit about Mercy's ult is that it's essentially instant, so it can't be interrupted and she can pop a last-ditch res even while actively taking fire. The only way to prevent it is to kill her first.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
anyone have roadhog tips? he's hilarious and I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I'm not entirely sure what exactly my job is during fights

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Slime posted:

It's really loving horrible how big the difference between what you're actually doing and what the enemy actually sees is in this game. I had a Mercy kill me without pulling out her pistol. She said she hit me with it and she must have done so, but on my screen she was holding her heal stick and she was holding it in the killcam too.

once fled from a junkrat around a corner, then died mysteriously. watching the deathcam, i got nailed by a direct hit that never registered on my screen

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Really, the nasty bit about Mercy's ult is that it's essentially instant, so it can't be interrupted and she can pop a last-ditch res even while actively taking fire. The only way to prevent it is to kill her first.

it really hurts to lose it though, so the automatic reaction after it's ready is to play much more defensively

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Thumbtacks posted:

anyone have roadhog tips? he's hilarious and I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I'm not entirely sure what exactly my job is during fights

Your job is to kill the squishy characters. That means high dps/support characters should always be your priority with your chain. Any character you can think of that would be described as "glass cannon" or "support" will likely die to chain+shotgun.

Chain is also used to displace and disrupt. Pull bastion turrets out of position, pull pharahs out of the air, etc.

Use his heal whenever possible. It has a fairly low cooldown and heals for a lot, so stay at full health whenever possible.

Oh, and remember he's a tank. It's easy to forget that because he doesn't tank like reinhardt, but roadhog has a lot of health + a heal so you should be staying in the thick of things and giving the other team a nice big target so that they ignore your teammates.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thumbtacks posted:

You're a one man apocalypse.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
On any map with Pits, stand and pull them to their death.

Apparently if you jump with Roadhog and hook someone, you chain to them.

Ult is a ton of knockback and can kill people as well, I generally use it to secure kills with a teammate as I annoy the crap out of the other team.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

CDW posted:

Apparently if you jump with Roadhog and hook someone, you chain to them.

i heard about this too last night. can anyone confirm?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Thumbtacks posted:

When you hook someone it generally puts their head in your crosshair. You want their chest in your cross hair so aim lower. Hold left click after your hook hits. Cancel into melee in case they survive

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thumbtacks posted:

Find a hallway or something you can hide behind, then turn the corner, RMB, hook, LMB, melee on their supports if you can. Run and heal if any of that fails. Repeat.

If there's bottomless pits, stand in front of them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What's the deal with his ult? It doesn't do as much damage as it looks like it would and the knockback is kind of annoying to try and fully hit people with it because it just moves them out of the way.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

immortal flow posted:

How on earth is one to counter a pro Tracer? I've been on both teams now - in one, the other 5 of us hardly saw an enemy and the enemy team just spent the time chatting with us from spawn or getting picked off after stepping out. On the other, my blood pressure felt dangerously elevated.

I can counter them as a McCree perhaps once or twice until they wise up, then they git gud before my very eyes and it's back to square one.

Try characters that do alot of damage in as few shots as possible so you don't have to track Tracer constantly, not to mention her blinking away the moment someone with an auto weapon dumps into her. McCree is pretty solid, flash will get her while he can single shot her with 2-3 hits. Roadhog can punish hard if Tracer skirts away to where his alt-fire can oneshot her, not to mention having the hook. Pharah/Junkrat can hold their own fairly well with some decent leading and having some ability to create distance where Tracer can't touch them. S76 is alittle reliant on his rockets otherwise Tracer will just blink away before your auto shots can get her. Hanzo can be kinda a crapshot depending how well you can aim scatter shot or headshot with arrows.

Tracer will probably still get a recall off here and there but dealing a ton of damage before they can register it just either scares them off immediately or they die from incidental damage.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8V7w9FLeNQ

I never got around to installing a webm converter

Why were they not moving? Why were they not taking cover behind the payload/reinhart? :psyduck:

Drakes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 25, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8V7w9FLeNQ

I never got around to installing a webm converter
You could just use gfycat

https://gfycat.com/FewReadyDoe

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

What's the deal with his ult? It doesn't do as much damage as it looks like it would and the knockback is kind of annoying to try and fully hit people with it because it just moves them out of the way.

You use it to move people out of the way. Also completely destroys shields.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Learning how to play with webms. How do I downsize it?

https://gfycat.com/FamiliarFearlessCheetah

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 26, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I too love giant gently caress off embedded video.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Amazing the difference when you're attacking a point in waiting for your whole group to show up rather than trying to be a solo hero.

Also last night I played a match where we were both at 99 percent on a point and the overtime lasted so long. Both teams and teleporters on the point, then they got destroyed. We lost but that was definitely a great match.

The last game I played I was Zarya. We had 30 seconds left to take the point and my friend says, "I don't think we're going to win." I told him I thought if I was able to take out the Widow we'd have a shot. Lo and behold I sat patiently and picked off Widow with the grenade launcher things. Once she was down the whole team rushed in and took the point super fast.

I love this game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You use it to move people out of the way. Also completely destroys shields.

Back in closed beta I used Roadhogs ult to blow a shield Reinhardt off the cliff on the first Hanamura cap point, but every time I try the ult on a shielded Reinhardt now nothing happens, the knockback doesn't work through the shield.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

yard salad posted:

once fled from a junkrat around a corner, then died mysteriously. watching the deathcam, i got nailed by a direct hit that never registered on my screen

20FPS servers give the client generous amounts of leeway for landing hits. It'll be interesting to see what happens when latency exploit programs increase in frequency.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thumbtacks posted:

In my short experience it's only really useful against Reinhart/Winstons that are causing trouble.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thumbtacks posted:

In my short experience it's only really useful against Reinhart/Winstons that are causing trouble.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I too love giant gently caress off embedded video.

the black bars are a nice touch

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PaulC posted:

Recall to prevent embarrassment after blinking off the edge of a cliff. your ultimate charges quickly so don't be afraid to lob it at a wall in a blind panic and blow yourself up
please don't post my pro strats without my permission

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Prav posted:

the black bars are a nice touch

Game doesn't support ultra wide screen and the crop failed :cry:.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JollyPubJerk posted:

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KOTH map play is still alive and well

0-95% cap: TDM
96-99% cap: Okay guys let's get serious, maybe
Overtime: extreme sweatie mode, actually playing now

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

You be a big bloated butthead who's easy to damage and farm ult off of, but pretty difficult to actually kill, and the instant an enemy puts a whisker out of position you hook them and burst them down with a primary fire/melee combo. Use your ult to get people off objectives, or push people outside your team's personal space.

He is by far the most passive tank imho. He's not bad, but every other tank centers an action or Does poo poo proactively and Roadhog is way more about waiting for the other team to make a mistake and spanking them for it.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 25, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although I'm unlikely to get good at this game it's so nice to look at it. Beautiful environments, slick animation and sound. I hope I can at least learn the maps and spend less time trying to figure out how to get back to the action.

For now I'll just settle for hitting the Soldier 76 ultimate any time Tracer or one of those other speedy characters enters my field of view. I can't help myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tenzarin posted:

Game doesn't support ultra wide screen and the crop failed :cry:.

Buy a mic and stop playing toblerone on offense your bastard!