Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

And here's the end to Captain America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPsfQNiSb4w

Not Data East's best. Not even a little bit.

Here's a brief roundup of my thoughts during this episode.

Awh, they named this episode with reference to me. I'm touched.
I did try to warn you guys!
drat, I forgot how stupid the Red Skull looked in that pic.
gently caress me? Well gently caress you too, guys!
A Date with the Health Inspector was a great episode of the Boondocks. The robbery at the store was fantastic.
The idea that Crossbones would take out the Avengers when Ultron couldn't is very funny. Also, Crossbones was pretty badass in Civil War.
I kinda want a Data East calculator. I'm sure it would have a feature where if you did four successful calculations in a row, the keypad would flash and the next one you did would be a super calculation.

Also, you guys were pretty much at the final boss. After Crossbones, you get a Red Skull cutscene, then one more wave of enemies, then the kung fu Skull, then the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Time for anime to start your week just wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfKFl8jOXYk

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

RIP Nick. Until later this week when he assumes the identity of an eldritch fool from beyond hell.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Also, you guys were pretty much at the final boss. After Crossbones, you get a Red Skull cutscene, then one more wave of enemies, then the kung fu Skull, then the final boss.

As is always appropriate to say, "drat the bad luck."

Also speaking of Data East calculator, I wouldn't mind if all the LED spaces just made various Trio the Punch faces instead of numbers. Kind of like that one Orpheusftw King of the Hill Youtube Poop collab where a calculator has nothing but Hank heads instead of numerals. Who else here is such a youtube poop connoisseur that they can name individual creators by screen name?

Lemma fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 16, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Time for anime to start your week just wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfKFl8jOXYk

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

RIP Nick. Until later this week when he assumes the identity of an eldritch fool from beyond hell.

So apparently this is like the equivalent of how Super Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, is just another version of Street Fighter II. Looking into it, this is a kind of remake of the original Cotton game, with new gameplay and harder. It looks pretty, but it's gently caress hard.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Oh gently caress, here's Snacks N' Jaxson. I don't know what horror this crawled out from under, but god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERBUHOtdD_I

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

AMovieReference posted:

Oh gently caress, here's Snacks N' Jaxson. I don't know what horror this crawled out from under, but god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERBUHOtdD_I

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Then there was Warlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9jjtfzdWc

I always enjoy the competitive games between Keith and Kyle. We have a fourth player in this episode so we can play it right. Seriously this game is fun as poo poo.

Here's the picture I mentioned of Hitler Masturbating, by the way.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 19, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Haha, I'd heard of Snacks 'n Jackson thanks to the HG101 article, but it really didn't get across just how much weirder it looks in motion.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Warlords is rad, but Rampart will forever have my heart. Plays up to 3 too!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
I think Rampart is going to be a priority to be done now, for the next session. For now, here's Magical Drop III, which also happens to be a Data East game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4oazNytBw

As mentioned, the gif that we were referencing:

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLx4tbfS6yU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The four Suits in tarot are Cups (equivalent to Hearts), Pentacles (coins with pentagrams, equivalent to Diamonds), Wands (equivalent to Clubs), and Swords. They're based off of the Latin (Spanish/Italian) suits: Cups, Coins, Clubs, and Swords. We use the French suits: Hearts, Tiles (we call them Diamonds), Clovers (we call them Clubs, probably because of the Latin suits even though the Latin suits have an unrelated design). and Pikes (we call them Spades). There's also the German/Swiss German Suits: Hearts (German)/Roses (Swiss German), Bells, Acorns, and Leaves (German, looks like our Spades)/Shields (Swiss German).
:goonsay:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

E: my first "Quote is not edit"

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The four Suits in tarot are Cups (equivalent to Hearts), Pentacles (coins with pentagrams, equivalent to Diamonds), Wands (equivalent to Clubs), and Swords. They're based off of the Latin (Spanish/Italian) suits: Cups, Coins, Clubs, and Swords. We use the French suits: Hearts, Tiles (we call them Diamonds), Clovers (we call them Clubs, probably because of the Latin suits even though the Latin suits have an unrelated design). and Pikes (we call them Spades). There's also the German/Swiss German Suits: Hearts (German)/Roses (Swiss German), Bells, Acorns, and Leaves (German, looks like our Spades)/Shields (Swiss German).
:goonsay:

Oh cool. A real font of card facts, good sir. Pikes and Tiles makes a lot more sense actually? Have you ever heard of the skulls and roses card game from (I think?) Mexico? I have never seen an actual deck in person but I was taught to more or less improvise it with trump cards.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
And here's the last of the three for Magical Drop III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DsmvlfwuuY

So coming next week, we'll change it up a little bit and have a theme.

Race Wars.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

So coming next week, we'll change it up a little bit and have a theme.

Race Wars.

I really hope you'll be playing racing games and not something else.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Well, you can see in the preview on Part 3 what's coming on Monday (maybe Tuesday? It being a holiday, I'm wondering what would be a better option here).

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Well I guess we have our verdict; Millie Miglia Monday is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYy7Q_CcJ4I

Do not worry, for the cryptic "rictus grinning face" ominously alluded to herein will be featured later in the week. I actually like how over time it transmogrified in my mind to a "juicy burn victim" face, and is mentioned in further videos before making it's final debut. Lends some tension to the proceedings.

Kyle make a "Race Wars" playlist and see if youtube forbids us from monetizing everything in it. (We got yelled at for having a video with 'Carnage' in the title. Re: Total Carnage.)

AMovieReference posted:

Well, you can see in the preview on Part 3 what's coming on Monday (maybe Tuesday? It being a holiday, I'm wondering what would be a better option here).

Jokes and Good Natured Ribbing can be hard to convey through text. Try explaining that a break-up text was meant to have a "friendly jest" tone that would have been clear in spoken English. It never works out.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Well research turns up a tatoo artist named Mr. Cartoon but I highly doubt he's who you're talking about

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well research turns up a tatoo artist named Mr. Cartoon but I highly doubt he's who you're talking about

I suspect this is who he means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8eGi-4EjM

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Yes yes that is the Entity. I reached out to a fangroup on fb but apparently the station never archived any of Mr. Cartoon and Beeper. It was strictly local UHF fare in the West Virginia area I guess? The footage from that clip looks like one of the "taped over" bits from a Plinkett Review.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

That is the first thing I found too and I thought it was hilarious.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Creeping ever closer to the end of Race Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmPVsxqseA

So this isn't "Super Off Road", but an "Off Road" game nonetheless. You'll get some of that tomorrow, but for now check this one out. There's a lot of weird poo poo happening at least in the second half of the video.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Whoo-hoo!

Edit: Taco Nazi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yil4aK4JE4

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 1, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Duck Tales really transcends borders. It's probably the only theme song I've heard in multiple languages (French, English, German, and now Finnish).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

AMovieReference posted:

Duck Tales really transcends borders. It's probably the only theme song I've heard in multiple languages (French, English, German, and now Finnish).

I posted that specific theme because of it's memetic mondegreens (I'm going to stroke it your arm is broken, taco nazi, hooter you're an anus)

The duck comics that duck tales is based off of is what truly transcends borders (more so than ducktales itself): I've heard that they're especially popular in Italy and Scandinavia.

There's also gonna be a new Duck Tales show coming out soon

The artstyle reminds me of those awesome and sometimes insane Mickey Mouse shorts.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The way I heard it was that forever Bally and Midway were merged, and then a new young CEO noticed they were making FAR more money on their workout/gym division and pretty much dissolved the Midway half of the company. I don't think they even do slot machines anymore.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

The way I heard it was that forever Bally and Midway were merged, and then a new young CEO noticed they were making FAR more money on their workout/gym division and pretty much dissolved the Midway half of the company. I don't think they even do slot machines anymore.

It's probably easier to do arcade stuff profitably in a country where average foot traffic nets you 75,000 customers a day. I honestly have no idea how places like GameWorks or Fun Spot stay in business. Especially the later; the Lake Winnipesaukee region is not what you would call 'densely populated' and it's main economic influx comes from an annual biker rally. Somehow I don't see a lot of Hell's Angels gathered round a Simpsons cabinet getting rowdy over the Life in Hell cameos.

Anyway, here's Ivan Ironman's Offroad. It has the oft-mentioned Face. Memory did much to worsen the appearance in my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK8qxHKDLP0

By the by: here is the dirtbike game I was trying to remember in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5PZIorO8Y&t=95s
Albeit that seems to be a fancier version than even I played. I do vividly remember the "go" and "keep it up" sound bites, though.

ALSO: Boy I'm dumb, I forgot to mention that today marks one full year since we started these arcade let's plays. That's pretty cool! Thanks for your continued interest, dog zones. It's been fun and engaging, not to mention good experience doing creative stuff. (Albeit in the smallest-scale sense imaginable.) We'll just see how much longer we keep it rolling along.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 2, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, I remember this game being like, EVERYWHERE when I was like, 9. I want to say it was up to three player, and using the actual wheel was still total rear end on the cabinet. However, in 1989, it was the only game with like, big tits in the arcade, so I paid attention.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

Man, I remember this game being like, EVERYWHERE when I was like, 9. I want to say it was up to three player, and using the actual wheel was still total rear end on the cabinet. However, in 1989, it was the only game with like, big tits in the arcade, so I paid attention.

It always confused me that it was 3-players, but had 4 cars in each race.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Good god, I left for like a month and you guys put out some good and loving insane things. What the hell could ever convince someone to create the nightmare that is Snacks N' Jackson?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Good god, I left for like a month and you guys put out some good and loving insane things. What the hell could ever convince someone to create the nightmare that is Snacks N' Jackson?

I believe someone commented on the video itself that it is a take on the game Jax. Why everything else happened, [???????

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Speak of the devil, I made some fanart for the thread

x

While drawing it I realized that Jackson(?) has sonic the hedgehog eyes

I can't wait for when I get good drawing pens and a good work ethic

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Oh dear lord.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Oh dear lord.

thank you

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Speak of the devil, I made some fanart for the thread

x

Holy poo poo. I can cross that off the bucket list:

1. Have Fan Art Made
2. Receive a Cease & Desist letter from a celebrity.
3. Go to a third world country, get strung out on heroin and die.

List is getting along pretty well so far!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Super Dodge Ball?! This game was the antithesis of justice. May god have mercy on all who indulge its fancies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvuekXs4i2U

Man that fan art really made Kyle's day. That's pretty cool.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Given that we've seen all the banner games for this season, how close are we to it being finished?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Given that we've seen all the banner games for this season, how close are we to it being finished?

July 14th is the last episode, and we're set to record once again from July 5th- 9/10th. We usually record everything about a month before, so this'll be pushing it to decide on the assets and everything that we'll want to use. I'll then put everything in a season 3 playlist with the filming order.

Any sort of things you guys wanna see for the next season? We're thinking about adding some sort of "stakes" to the Head to Head episodes. Probably gonna make them visual gags that we can put in at the end of the episodes.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ahh, Super Dodge Ball. I've been waiting for this since seeing Misuzu appear in the side bars. While it's not the same game as Super Dodge Ball on the NES, it's from the same franchise - the Nekketsu games with Kunio, hence why pretty much all the characters are from the games (Kunio and Riki are main characters, plus Shinji, Misuzu, and Sabu were bosses in the first Kunio game). Some were redrawn to be a lot more different from their usual designs (Misuzu for instance went from massive schoolgirl thug to large clubbing lady).

Also, the special moves are done with either the qcf+A or dp+A motions (not qcfx2). You can do a pass special move with dp+B (I think), and when on defense, you can do dp+A and you'll get a special deflect move when the ball comes to you. As for your power meter, when it is full, your shots will do more damage, and you can do a unique super shot which will involve all three of your characters with f,hcf+A+B.

The story for the game is pretty crazy too. This pro dodge ball player gets too cocky, does a super shot that goes off into the crowd in the stadium, hurting and killing a lot of people including his wife, and so he decides to hold a tournament to dissuade people from playing it. I'm not making this up.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

Ahh, Super Dodge Ball. I've been waiting for this since seeing Misuzu appear in the side bars. While it's not the same game as Super Dodge Ball on the NES, it's from the same franchise - the Nekketsu games with Kunio, hence why pretty much all the characters are from the games (Kunio and Riki are main characters, plus Shinji, Misuzu, and Sabu were bosses in the first Kunio game). Some were redrawn to be a lot more different from their usual designs (Misuzu for instance went from massive schoolgirl thug to large clubbing lady).

Also, the special moves are done with either the qcf+A or dp+A motions (not qcfx2). You can do a pass special move with dp+B (I think), and when on defense, you can do dp+A and you'll get a special deflect move when the ball comes to you. As for your power meter, when it is full, your shots will do more damage, and you can do a unique super shot which will involve all three of your characters with f,hcf+A+B.

The story for the game is pretty crazy too. This pro dodge ball player gets too cocky, does a super shot that goes off into the crowd in the stadium, hurting and killing a lot of people including his wife, and so he decides to hold a tournament to dissuade people from playing it. I'm not making this up.

I don't know why Keith didn't understand that hadoken= qcf+A and shoryuken (Dragon Punch) = dp+A. Oh well, guess that's why he plays sonic.

Speaking of which, I think there's two sonic games left on the arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Moving right along, here's a little game called "Groove on Fight".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdJY2YNNa8

It's apparently part of the Power Instinct series from Atlus. I've never heard of it, but it's pretty neat, albeit weird as poo poo.

• Locked thread