Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

stop playing toblerone on offense your bastard!

I'll stop doing this three to five minutes after I'm fuckin dead irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Thanks for the hook, friend

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Prav posted:

the black bars are a nice touch

It wouldn't be big enough without them.

I love the feeling of playing as Reinhardt and slowly advancing on the point with my shield up. I hate the feeling of reaching the enemy front line only to realize that my team is still three chokepoints back because no one followed me.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Drakes posted:

Try characters that do alot of damage in as few shots as possible so you don't have to track Tracer constantly, not to mention her blinking away the moment someone with an auto weapon dumps into her. McCree is pretty solid, flash will get her while he can single shot her with 2-3 hits. Roadhog can punish hard if Tracer skirts away to where his alt-fire can oneshot her, not to mention having the hook. Pharah/Junkrat can hold their own fairly well with some decent leading and having some ability to create distance where Tracer can't touch them. S76 is alittle reliant on his rockets otherwise Tracer will just blink away before your auto shots can get her. Hanzo can be kinda a crapshot depending how well you can aim scatter shot or headshot with arrows.

Tracer will probably still get a recall off here and there but dealing a ton of damage before they can register it just either scares them off immediately or they die from incidental damage.

So Roadhog and McCree >:] McCree seems to be the universal counter, woo

Incidentally, how does the SA Overwatch Discord group hand out invites? I'm not on the spreadsheet and literally just registered for Discord on a whim and instantly got an invite to the group? ?!? !?!??

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Warming back up to Symmetra again from a few betas ago but they really need to retool her E ability (shields). 25 shields is useless. Yes, 50 was too much particularly on characters like Tracer but 25 is right there in "why even bother territory."

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 25, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tenzarin posted:

Game doesn't support ultra wide screen and the crop failed :cry:.

Shrink/crop before uploading, dude

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Knifegrab posted:

Buy a mic and stop playing toblerone on offense your bastard!

I got gold on kills!

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Tokubetsu posted:

Warming back up to Symmetra again from a few betas ago but they really need to retool her E ability (shields). 25 shields is useless. Yes, 50 was too much particularly on characters like Tracer but 25 is right there in "why even bother" territory."

Maybe keep the 25 shield, but give Symmetra a healing aura exclusively for shields? Torbjorns armour is also nice, but doesn't seem to regenerate when you pick up an hp pack which makes it only really good for a single encounter.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Lichtenstein posted:

My favorite little pleasure in this game is disrupting enemy advance by launching their Reinhardt into low orbit with Junkrat's mines.

I keep saving my charge when im at a ledge versus junkrat. if he bumps me too high, i can charge back in and no one expects it

Walfry
Sep 6, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

What's the deal with his ult? It doesn't do as much damage as it looks like it would and the knockback is kind of annoying to try and fully hit people with it because it just moves them out of the way.

In addition to the other comments, it'll actually do pretty decent damage if you are pushing people into a wall/corner with it. They have nowhere to go so they just keep on eating shrapnel. Obviously they can fight back but against hurt/squishy characters they won't last long enough to kill you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tenzarin posted:

I got gold on kills!

Objective time is the only medal that matters :colbert:

Also get a mic!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
knifegrab if you are on tonight we're playing ok! sorry I missed you that one time and I was in a full group the other

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Still waiting for the match where I use Mercy's lshift to float up to a Pharah who gets killed at the height of my jump, I look down, floating gracefully onto the point, and rez 5 teammates at once.

Someone did this at the final stretch of a payload map and then they went on for the cap in overtime. I applauded irl.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
nvm

objects in mirror fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 25, 2016

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
PS4 group was fun last night, thanks dudes. I know I'm bad but it's nice at least having that communication there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Raskolnikov posted:

Someone did this at the final stretch of a payload map and then they went on for the cap in overtime. I applauded irl.

I've gotten 3 rez's after jumping off a rooftop, but the glorious team rez still escapes me.

I would have applauded that Mercy as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

What's the deal with his ult? It doesn't do as much damage as it looks like it would and the knockback is kind of annoying to try and fully hit people with it because it just moves them out of the way.

It's really a knockback ult, not a damage ult. Rather than trying to kill people with it, use it to push them away, scatter them, and break their formation. Good for something like clearing a highly-contested point. You can kill someone with it by forcing them into a corner and pinning them there till they die, but it's kind of a waste of the ult.

NTRabbit posted:

Back in closed beta I used Roadhogs ult to blow a shield Reinhardt off the cliff on the first Hanamura cap point, but every time I try the ult on a shielded Reinhardt now nothing happens, the knockback doesn't work through the shield.

The knockback doesn't work through the shield, but the shield is big enough to get hit by the entire thing in spite of the massive spread, so the damage will break it pretty quickly.

immortal flow posted:

So Roadhog and McCree >:] McCree seems to be the universal counter, woo

Incidentally, how does the SA Overwatch Discord group hand out invites? I'm not on the spreadsheet and literally just registered for Discord on a whim and instantly got an invite to the group? ?!? !?!??

Winston destroys Tracer. Symmetra kinda does too if the Tracer wanders too close to her, but she's a lot squishier so it's less of a sure thing. Their auto-aim weapons totally shut Tracer down.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Lol, not sure how to embed this gyfcat but here's my moment of glory as Pharah that was us the match in a pub game.

edit: nvm, giant gif, headache to fix now

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Things that surprised me about Overwatch:

- How fun Tracer is. I hated playing the Scout in TF2. I am no longer a young man with cat-like reflexes and an overdeveloped forearm. Despite these handicaps, she's super fun to play zipping around and dropping my payload of BBs on the enemy's heads.
-Roadhog hooking Reinhardt out of his charge gives me a sense of smug satisfaction that I'm not letting another kid on the playground have any fun.
-D.va takes finesse to play. Did not think mechgirl would be anything but rockets and machine guns, but she's semi-fragile and her power is not as obvious as Reinhardt or Hog.
-How I'm not bad with Hanzo. I hated sniping in TF2, so I would always be that one rear end in a top hat with the huntsman going offensive sniper if burst damage was what we needed. Turns out this was valuable practice!
-There don't appear to be more than one or two boring characters (looking at you Mcree and Reaper), and this is probably more due play style than anything.
-This game is fun in solo-queue. I love playing with my 6-stack, but with them I'm always choosing my best heroes and what we need. In solo-queue I get to pick whatever the gently caress I want and experiment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody should make an overwatch POTG thread so we don't get people posting these things all the time breaking up the conversation.

Not that your moments of glory aren't fun to watch :)

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody should make an overwatch POTG thread so we don't get people posting these things all the time breaking up the conversation.

Not that your moments of glory aren't fun to watch :)

Too late, moment ruined, couldn't even post the gyf

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So after playing about an hour on each hero, I think I've finally settled into a groove of who I like the most.

Zenyatta is still my boy, and I'll try and hop onto him at any opportunity. He absolutely wrecks things in a team fight. Kinda sucks that he's super slow and gets chewed up by snipers on a ton of maps, but I try to stay in a group, so I guess I don't feel it as hard.

Genji is my go-to for a flanker. People are still really dumb about his deflection ability, and I've shut down so many Reaper and Bastion supers because of it. Plus, if I just need to buy time, double-jumping around like a fool works pretty well.

Junkrat absolutely cleans up when I have to defend. Years of playing Demoman in TF2 have payed off.

Hanzo is my sniper on offense. Widow is my sniper on defense. The key is to keep moving around to different vantage points to keep the fear of getting an arrow/bullet in the noggin alive. I almost never go sniper, but if we could use one, I'd say I'm not too shabby.

Symmetra is my builder on payloads. Trob is my builder on capture points. People this early in the game still can't handle either and absolutely refuse to try a different path. It's crazy.

And I haven't found a tank role that meshes with me. I thought I liked D.Va, but her range leaves a ton to be desired. Then I thought Reinhardt would be a good fit, but again, his range is minuscule. Roadhog doesn't put out enough reliable damage for me. Oh well, can't have them all.

Game is fun as gently caress. Hoping more people join the Goonerwatch group on PS4 so I can get more reliable parties together.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Speaking of ults, what am I supposed to be doing with Winston's ult? I can't even really tell what's going on. I've been pretty successful with Winston but I basically never remember to use his ult and when I do I feel like I just jump back and forth into corners and swing at air.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Eonwe posted:

knifegrab if you are on tonight we're playing ok! sorry I missed you that one time and I was in a full group the other

I might not be playing much tonight curses!!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

Speaking of ults, what am I supposed to be doing with Winston's ult? I can't even really tell what's going on. I've been pretty successful with Winston but I basically never remember to use his ult and when I do I feel like I just jump back and forth into corners and swing at air.

When his ult is active, both his melee attacks and his jump knock people back, and people naturally tend to run from a big raging ulting gorilla. You won't get many kills but you can scatter the enemy team, knock the tough ones out of position, and scare the crap out of their supports and flankers. Jump in and soften 'em up for your team's big push.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

pulp rag posted:

Junkrat absolutely cleans up when I have to defend. Years of playing Demoman in TF2 have payed off.

My years of demoman-ing have left me with an unfortunate muscle memory that consistently leaves my junkrat with 1 grenade left in his gun.

Just added myself to the sheet. Do people use mumble or game voice? In game seems pretty good and I haven't yet encountered any shrieking idiots.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

My years of demoman-ing have left me with an unfortunate muscle memory that consistently leaves my junkrat with 1 grenade left in his gun.

you are not alone my dude

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I will not read or google. what are the official responses on: 1) private servers, 2)custom games

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

whatspeakyou posted:

Lucio is the bomb and I will now play the poo poo out of him.

Lucio is the best support, the other supports are good, but they all have the weakness that they're not Lucio.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

When his ult is active, both his melee attacks and his jump knock people back, and people naturally tend to run from a big raging ulting gorilla. You won't get many kills but you can scatter the enemy team, knock the tough ones out of position, and scare the crap out of their supports and flankers. Jump in and soften 'em up for your team's big push.

Okay that's good to know. So basically good as a starter disruption to your team's push, or to scatter the opposition from the objective to buy your team time to get back from spawn, that kind of thing.

Question on voice chat: does it automatically confine itself to the same channel as my text chat? Like if my text chat is set to a friend, voice chat will be as well? If not, is there a way to control who hears you? I basically use it to shoot the poo poo with my friends so I don't want to annoy the rest of our team.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

I will not read or google. what are the official responses on: 1) private servers, 2)custom games

Private servers will never exist. Custom games are in and have about a zillion options available.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Thanks for the hook, friend

Zarya is so friggin good. Just keep making GBS threads out shields all day and being a super buff waifu.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clanpot Shake posted:

Holy poo poo this. It really annoyed me last night on ilios, I could not break the habit of "shoot 4 times then back up during the auto reload" and kept advancing out of cover with a single round.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jinh posted:

Holy poo poo this. It really annoyed me last night on ilios, I could not break the habit of "shoot 4 times then back up during the auto reload" and kept advancing out of cover with a single round.

I want to change the color of the ammo counter to something more annoying, even though most weapons have an indicator on them showing how many bullets are left in the clip/mag.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to get home from work and play more lucio.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want to change the color of the ammo counter to something more annoying, even though most weapons have an indicator on them showing how many bullets are left in the clip/mag.

kinda wish the game had resizable ui components. For some reason I can't tell when I'm taking damage sometimes too. Dunno if anyone else experiences that but I need to keep glancing at my health to see if it's gone down.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 25, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When is the best time to leave a match? Do you still get XP if you quit upon it showing the winning team group shot?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Elpato posted:

-Roadhog hooking Reinhardt out of his charge gives me a sense of smug satisfaction that I'm not letting another kid on the playground have any fun.

:fuckoff: :colbert:

pulp rag posted:

And I haven't found a tank role that meshes with me. I thought I liked D.Va, but her range leaves a ton to be desired. Then I thought Reinhardt would be a good fit, but again, his range is minuscule. Roadhog doesn't put out enough reliable damage for me. Oh well, can't have them all.

I love Reinhardt, but I can see the range being an issue on solo queue where you are just like "hey, kill that loving bastion im blocking"

I'm probably gonna give Winston a shot since he can jump places.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lucio is the best support, the other supports are good, but they all have the weakness that they're not Lucio.

I'm going to make it a point tonight to jump into some pub games with non-Lucio characters and try to learn wtf I'm doing. I just can't stop playing him. Also - you can almost always RMB out of a Roadhog hook and this often leads to hilarity (or killing him 1v1 if he's bad or there's a pit nearby)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FranktheBank posted:

:fuckoff: :colbert:

I love Reinhardt, but I can see the range being an issue on solo queue where you are just like "hey, kill that loving bastion im blocking"

I'm probably gonna give Winston a shot since he can jump places.

reinhardt solo is an exercise in frustration. his best ability is being able to let your snipers and mid range heros shoot at the bad guys safely, as well as protecting bastions and turrets in order to keep steady fire on a point. solo queue just leads to you wandering around with your shield up and no one ever using it. that or they will walk right past you and into gunfire while advancing a payload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a more pointless card in the game than Mechs Deployed?

Congratulations, you died a lot and then spent longer than your respawn time getting your mech back? Even Reaper's "Souls Consumed," which gets way too many votes on "WHOA poo poo YEAH THAT SOUNDS BADASS" appeal is at least a net positive.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

reinhardt solo is an exercise in frustration. his best ability is being able to let your snipers and mid range heros shoot at the bad guys safely, as well as protecting bastions and turrets in order to keep steady fire on a point. solo queue just leads to you wandering around with your shield up and no one ever using it. that or they will walk right past you and into gunfire while advancing a payload.

Yeah I just came off a round with Reinhardt and was effectively tanking for nobody because every idiot thinks they're some sweet flanker who can 1v6. My job was basically shoving the cart by myself and then turning the giant group of enemies in front of me into mushy with Hammer Down.