Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
My A* track pants (http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-track-leather-pants) are the most comfortable pair of pants I've ever worn. It got to the point where I wouldn't take them off after a ride until someone asked why I was still wearing them. My ~30mph lowside also didn't do poo poo to them, maybe a 6 in long scuff that didn't compromise their integrity at all. A++++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone have a scorpion exo-r2000? Impressions?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Inu- posted:

What are some of your guys' absolute favorite pieces of gear? Stuff that you'd rave about to anyone who will listen.

I've got a pair of A* SP2 gloves that BlackMK4 sold me. They are probably the most comfortable glove I've ever worn for anything, not just bieks. They're better than my snowboard, wrenching, bicycle, neoprene, and general cold weather gloves by far. They're just extremely natural feeling, and even the little finger fits perfectly, which is usually a problem for me.

I've also got a leather Fieldsheer jacket that I've never been able to find a model name on, and never seen a similar one. Got it for $40 very lightly used on ebay. It just feels right and keeps me motivated to stay at a constant weight because I don't want to not be able to wear it any more.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

-Inu- posted:

What are some of your guys' absolute favorite pieces of gear? Stuff that you'd rave about to anyone who will listen.

Forma Adventure boots, og tall edition. I'd rave about them more but I'm aware that complimenting my own footwear all the time would make me look like a massive tool.

Comfortable, warm, break in almost immediately, require no treatment out of the box to waterproof, and :krad: space cowboy looks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Definitely would not rave about dainese gloves. I have the 4 stroke shorts and this is the second pair of dainese gloves that have unraveled at the seams with only daily use. No crash or nothing.

The palm leather that is perforated has just shredded from putting them on and off for only like a year.

I'm probably going to look at another brand for the next pair, pretty sick of the poor quality of the sub 200 dainese gloves

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Every pair of Held gloves I've ever worn has been exceedingly comfortable. I haven't found any other manufacturer that gets it consistently right with gloves.

Also love my Dainese Mike jacket. Super comfortable and looks fine off bike as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

Every pair of Held gloves I've ever worn has been exceedingly comfortable. I haven't found any other manufacturer that gets it consistently right with gloves.

Also love my Dainese Mike jacket. Super comfortable and looks fine off bike as well.

I bought a pair of their short finger gloves and they've been wonderful. I'm worried what I'm going to do when they wear out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Daytonas EVO sports. Full articulated ankle, comfortable as hell, protective. Expensive as gently caress, though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Diadora Mud Boots

Shark Explorer-R Carbon Helmet

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

What kept me dry today in pouring rain, and is drying in the shower at the moment (and I have been using from +35C to -2C with variations of the thickness of the wool underwear the last year):
  • Wool underwear (not pictured, boxershorts, t-shirt, socks, long pants, long shirt). Doesn't get smelly too fast. Warm and good ventilation when you want. Too cold? Add an additional layer. Too warm? Remove a layer. Don't use technical textiles, they get wet, stays wet and smells.
  • Klim Badlands Pro pants. Gore Tex, no insulating liner, d3o padding. The zips might need som bee wax now and then. Remove the padding and wash it in the washing machine (wool program) if it gets to dirty. Good air vents when you are standing on the pegs, but not when sitting. Remember to buy the shoulder straps.
  • Klim Apex jacket. Same textile and padding as the pants, but more street oriented than the Badlands jacket. Very good air vents. Not too many pockets (which is good in my opinion, keep your stuff on the bike instead). A bit too small in the arms if you have arms like Popeye (which I don't, but it feels like it in the jacket. The Badlands jacket is the same.).
  • Alpinestars Toucan boots with additional wool liner. Nice and warm (but too warm in the summer). Nice fasteneres, and actually possible to walk with. Good protection, you feel like an Orc when you walk. Actually quite good feel with the gear lever, etc.
  • Helite airbag west (popcorn jacket). Might come in handy, but I hope not. Good visibility.
  • Rukka Argosaurus gloves. Usable to 5C with heated grips, but gets too warm in the summer. Keeps the hands dry in the rain, but can get wet if you have sweaty hands. I'm using some Lindstrands Urax Kangaroo gloves during the summer, the feel of gauntlet style gloves is a bit better (sturdy, but good contact with the handle bars).
  • Schubert C3 Pro. My first flip helmet, not going back to full helmets again. Good sound proofing, but needs some additional ear plugs when you are driving above 80Km/h. Integrated sun visor.
  • Sena 20s. Don't buy anything else. Especially not Scala Rider G9 (loosing connection randomly, standing in the sun for 15 min and trying the get the coms to connect and not getting anything but sloooow feedback sucks donkey balls). Good sound quality, battery lasts forever and can be paired with almost everything.

To sum up my experience: We had some technical problems with one of the bikes during the weekend, and I had to drive to work a bit late this morning in pouring rain. I stopped for some breakfast after 90km at a gas station, and people started to ask about the weather when riding MC (random unknown people doesn't approach you at a gas station in Norway), a girl working there let me into the trailer driver area because the toilet queue was too long (I didn't ask for it), etc. I was like "WTF? How did I get to be a VIP?" I was dry and comfy, but I don't think the people there believed I was. Being able to say "I'm going to ride this weekend" and not needing to take the weather into concideration is quite ok.

Start your first years with MC with "ok-ish gear" (safety first, weather proofing and durability second), but if you find that riding a bike is something that you wish to do every weekend (even if you are commuting by bike during the week days), go all in. You won't regret it.

helstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 24, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A true Norwegian flag is sewn with wool and Gore-Tex.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

None of the women's specific gear I've worn has been too good, they're mostly just compromises in one way or another. WRT raving to people, I always recommend my forcefield backpro (the old L2 evo).

Speaking of, Inu, where could I find a silver mirror exo1100 visor?

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 24, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My revit Chevron gloves fit my freakishly long fingered, stubby thumbed hands perfectly. Short cuff but they survived a tumble no problem. Plus they look cool because ★carbon fiber★.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Forma Adventure boots, og tall edition. I'd rave about them more but I'm aware that complimenting my own footwear all the time would make me look like a massive tool.

Comfortable, warm, break in almost immediately, require no treatment out of the box to waterproof, and :krad: space cowboy looks.

I really like the Forma Adventure boots so far, unfortunately my bike was KIA during my first ride with them on, so I haven't got much use yet. I will say I was kinda disappointed how soft the sides felt and the bumps over the ankle aren't solid, it's just a thin piece of plastic that can be pushed in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

helstein posted:

Wool underwear (not pictured, boxershorts, t-shirt, socks, long pants, long shirt). Doesn't get smelly too fast. Warm and good ventilation when you want. Too cold? Add an additional layer. Too warm? Remove a layer. Don't use technical textiles, they get wet, stays wet and smells.

Spandex/elastane/polyester blend is still a million times better than cotton on the scale of "underwear that never dries and smells bad when wet".

When you say wool, does that include merino? Because I could probably be bothered getting a test set in that, but in response to "wool underwear" my brain refuses to picture anything but some kind of huge itchy shorts knitted by your grandma.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 24, 2016

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Definitely would not rave about dainese gloves. I have the 4 stroke shorts and this is the second pair of dainese gloves that have unraveled at the seams with only daily use. No crash or nothing.

The palm leather that is perforated has just shredded from putting them on and off for only like a year.

I'm probably going to look at another brand for the next pair, pretty sick of the poor quality of the sub 200 dainese gloves

My Dainese Druids (Basically the gauntlet version of your gloves) have come apart in the exact same way. I really, really need to replace them.
Also the zipper broke on one of my TR Course-outs. The other one's zipper would go pretty soon if I didn't already have a part of A* SMX+ on order.

I really liked the fit/protection on both of those, but I'm not going that route again. That's ~$500 in gear that lasted a little under 2 years. I think I'm done with Dainese for a bit.

For actual useful content. I really like my A* T-GPR Air or whatever it's called. The fit isn't perfect, but it breathes well enough for a Houston summer. And the only damage on it from ~3yrs of constant use is from that one time I crashed and slid on my arm. Other than that, it doesn't even have a single stitch coming loose. Pretty good for $250.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 24, 2016

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Spandex/elastane/polyester blend is still a million times better than cotton on the scale of "underwear that never dries and smells bad when wet".

When you say wool, does that include merino? Because I could probably be bothered getting a test set in that, but in response to "wool underwear" my brain refuses to picture anything but some kind of huge itchy shorts knitted by your grandma.

Yep, mostly merino and other softer wool types. You won't find the itchy kind in stores. Wool underwear is normally Very Premium regarding the price from the bigger brands, but we have some shops called "Sparkjøp" (low price clothing, etc) that have their own wool collection. 1/3 of the normal price, and the quality is actually good. No sexy names and designs, but it works under mc clothing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

M42 posted:

Not sure. Given that they evidently aren't avaliable anywhere, it's either lack of inventory or it's been discontinued. I'll do some digging tomorrow and see what I can't find out. Alternatively, ebay.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I'll prob just go with one of the few dark smoke that are left. I got it on turbo closeout, so that makes sense.

e: do you know if the astars stella jagg airflow pants are any good? I need some perf street leathers, and the choice seems to be either that or the gear 2 revit.

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 24, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

M42 posted:

None of the women's specific gear I've worn has been too good, they're mostly just compromises in one way or another.

My girlfriend is just packing down a jacket we ordered online. She wears medium in most things, we got a jacket that was on sale. Tried upon arrival, too small. Free returns for size, the large arrived today. But it was just about the same size, hardly any bigger. And no XL for sale of course. This reinforces my impression that gear for women is an afterthought, cougar leather jackets and pink/cream textiles with little of the high tech stuff available for men - does this fit with your experiences?

Maybe we'll just have to get a men's small or something.

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 24, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A lot of it is, but another problem is that there's just not enough variety or options, which is a huge issue if you've got proportions that aren't super basic (I guess that counts as it being an afterthought too). Like right now, I'm looking at perf leather pants for summer mountain rides, and there are 4 total options on revzilla. 2 if you discount a lovely brand and a $780 pair of helds (wtf?!). I have yet to find a women's race glove that doesn't suck in some way, so I'm relegated to wearing an ill fitting men's xs dainese. It's really disheartening.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I really love my Rukka Lobster gloves. They're more for winter riding, but the waterproofing is actually waterproof. I have something like 3 other pairs of gloves that were allegedly waterproof before I got the Lobsters on sale, and have never gone back. I have Handroids for summer and the Lobsters for everything else. They keep my hands warm and dry during the 9 months of the year that it's not sunny here.

I'm surprised, also, that my cheap Tourmaster overpants are still going. The zipper broke, but they do a really good job considering they're about $100 and have no Gore-tex or anything special. They do sometimes leak when it's really pissing down rain, but for the price, they're pretty good. I've worn them daily for over 2 years. They're the only piece of original gear from when I started riding.

I'm saving up to replace the overpants this fall, probably with Badlands pants.

That being said, I won't buy any more Rev'It gear. The $500 jacket (Sand 2) I got last year has already been in once for warranty repair, and already that repair has re-broken. The rain liner buttons have all popped through, and the stopper on the sleeve zipper popped off. I'm not impressed with their fastener game at all. I assume this stuff is made for "adventure" people who ride like 3x a year or something, I don't know.

Ola: That's been my experience. I'm lucky that I'm a tall, fat chick, so I can wear men's stuff without much trouble. I weep for smaller, shorter, curvier women who have to make do with women's stuff. Most of it is pretty awful and not nearly the quality you'd see with a comparable men's item. I feel like it's made for women passengers, not women riders.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is my girl's jacket. She's done with it (too warm for summer riding, and it's a little too small for her) so I'm still trying to get rid of it.

It's got a fitted bust, but not very large. It fit her best when she was ~150 - 155 lbs, I would guess. She's 5'9", pretty proportional torso, smaller bust. When it fit, she really seemed to like it. The fit seems to be more for an operator than pillion. It's actually really well-built, but the sizing is small, as with others. It's a large, but it's sized to a pretty willowy woman, maybe with slightly wider shoulders than average.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

M42 posted:

Check your PMs. :clint:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

M42 posted:

e: do you know if the astars stella jagg airflow pants are any good? I need some perf street leathers, and the choice seems to be either that or the gear 2 revit.
They just came out so I haven't seen them in person yet, but they're pretty different from the gear 2. The Jaggs are basically a slightly toned down Missile. For casual street riding, I'd get the gear 2. You have a 1 piece for aggressive riding and the gear 2s are less sport cut and have a waterproof liner etc that are better for city riding.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just realized that SportBikeTrackGear.com is basically 30 minutes from my house. I went and tried on ALL the gear today. Somehow only walked out with a pair of A* SP-2 gloves, in black/white/red/high viz :getin:

So loving pumped that there is a legitimate gear shop that close with that kind of selection. Awesome.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

walked out with a pair of A* SP-2 gloves, in black/white/red/high viz :getin:

I got these gloves back in November, insanely comfortable fit, I think someone above mentioned for these as well every finger fits perfect.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're so nice. My only beef is the rubber logo started peeling off the back of one, but a bit of glue fixed it.

A really well-made glove is a nice thing to have on your hand. It just feels good, like a security blanket.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

They're so nice. My only beef is the rubber logo started peeling off the back of one, but a bit of glue fixed it.

A really well-made glove is a nice thing to have on your hand. It just feels good, like a security blanket.

I don't even have a bike currently. But sometimes I put on my handroids just for that feel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I don't even have a bike currently. But sometimes I put on my handroids just for that feel.

I'm sorry for your loss *shuffles feet awkwardly while staring at my shoelace for a minute, then I walk away while mumbling an awkward goodbye, so I can give my bike a hug*

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I am so happy with them. I've got a real nice black/white/red/hi viz uncle thing happening with my gear.

In other less fun news, the outside foot "slider" thing on my smx-1 left boot disappeared on my ride at some point yesterday. Think A* will help me out?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

They sell replacement sliders. My smx+ disappeared one like a week after I bought it, too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

M42 posted:

They sell replacement sliders. My smx+ disappeared one like a week after I bought it, too.

Obviously this is some kind of conspiracy. Slider Gnomes, perhaps?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So, anyone got a recommendation for some short summer gloves?

I was looking at these but i'd like your guys opinions.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-adventure-glove

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A* SP-2.

They're not short, but they're vented well enough that they won't get too swampy. Maybe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Rev'it Cayennes. You're welcome.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I should of probably said my price range is around the £50-70 mark because i only tootle around on my little supermoto.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Keket posted:

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/mickey-glove/

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Keket posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-hero-gloves I've used these for a little over a year now in SoCal, no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody asked about gear we rave about... I used some of this to add padding to the armor inserts in my jacket and my gloves. It's made for hockey goalie helmets so it can take direct skin/sweat/heat/etc. The glue has held up so far and it is pretty easy to cut and shape.