Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Seriously, she'll just come without the helmet or something and clog shelves like Bishop, who gives a poo poo.

I didn't know this. Now I feel better. So many cool toys have been con ex only and it's a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shiiiiiiiiii

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
That face reminds me of those weird mannequins.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Shiiiiiiiiii

I don't like the "real" Daredevil costume but I'd definitely buy Underarmor Daredevil.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn SH Figurearts AOTC Obi-Wan looks amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, if that was the mulletless ROTS version, it'd be an instant buy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
No by all means let's have an Obi-Wan for each prequel movie and his force ghost in 5/6 at the 6" scale, literally anything but the ANH Guiness figure I actually want arrrrgh

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

No by all means let's have an Obi-Wan for each prequel movie and his force ghost in 5/6 at the 6" scale, literally anything but the ANH Guiness figure I actually want arrrrgh

Please don't tell me that they've edited Guinness out of the original trilogy too...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Shiiiiiiiiii

Hopeful, but let's see the face sculpt first.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Preorder for TMNT SDCC exclusives is up.
http://necaonline.com/56486/licenses/movies/alien/sdcc-2016-exclusives-complete-roundup-and-pre-order-details/

If you're having someone pick up for you, now's the best time to coordinate as it'll have to be their name on the pre-order form.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RevKrule posted:

Preorder for TMNT SDCC exclusives is up.
http://necaonline.com/56486/licenses/movies/alien/sdcc-2016-exclusives-complete-roundup-and-pre-order-details/

If you're having someone pick up for you, now's the best time to coordinate as it'll have to be their name on the pre-order form.

If anyone here is for sure going and is going to be stopping by the NECA booth anyway, hit me up on PM or email (cowise at gmail) and we can work something out. I'd really like to get a set for myself (and potentially for my friend).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=168&itemid=26478

Bill Murray featuring anime semen paintjob

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

lol

Well poo poo, I guess I can stop working on my custom figure...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
For real though that figure looks like the toy that has fallen off your shelf about 40 times and you yell HOW, NOT AGAIN when it keeps falling off and get all pissed when it gets scuffed up

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It looks like the store brand Bill Murray. Like this is Shasta's version, "Will Blurry" or something.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
For those in California, the TRUs look like they're getting the latest World of Nintendo figures:

If a kind soul is interested on checking for me, I'm after Falco, Toon Link and Paratrooper (4") and Villager and Chain Chomp (2.5").

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Phoneposting, so no pics, but Mondo announced a 1/6 Alfred Hitchcock with chair and accessories. Available tomorrow, $185. Looks decent but I'm sure it'll sell out in 30 seconds after Mondo's servers poo poo the bed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress San Diego Comic Con.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Louisgod posted:

lol

That's Norm Macdonald.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Louisgod posted:

For those in California, the TRUs look like they're getting the latest World of Nintendo figures:

If a kind soul is interested on checking for me, I'm after Falco, Toon Link and Paratrooper (4") and Villager and Chain Chomp (2.5").

I also really really need a toon link in my life if anyone can help a grump out.

Louisgod posted:

lol

I realize what the answer most likely is, but is there any cheap proton stream options for the Mattel old-school ghostbusters? Or accessories like traps, PKE meters, etc? I found a Peter and Egon and they look naked without more STUFF.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens fans, like me, have been waiting for these things for years, and they release it like this? Why not release like, Aaron 85 or like, fuckin Ferrio or something. Something that only Die Hards would want, and not a main character.

Jeez. Way to drop the ball NECA.

Last year Figuarts released probably the most iconic version of non-super saiyan Goku ( Goku in his Namek gi ) as a SDCC exclusive. It's pretty bullshit.

Ninja E: Speaking of which, if anyone is going to SDCC and visiting the Tamashii Nations booth already, hit me up via PM. I am inevitably going to need whatever they have for Dragonball! I'll make it worth your while!

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2016

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Oh poo poo Daredevil will 100% be my first Hot Toys figure. I always said I'd buy one, time to put my money where mouth is.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toadstrieb posted:

I don't know if this was meant sarcastically or not, but in the age of Spring Breakers and tumblr culture, I think you're right. A 1950s zoot suit/other traditional Joker wear, as well as the playing card themed leotard look for Quinn, just don't resonate. I have zero problem looking at the attire/aesthetic of these characters and thinking, "ah yes, contemporary instantiations of the kind of people I'd rather avoid, the kind who understand the symbolic world of self-accoutrement well enough to know how to convey, among other interpretations, overplayed coquettish affect, masochism and sadism toward oneself, disregard for traditional notions of cleanliness and health", and so on.

I think what people are asking for with Joker in particular is a loving crazy person who somehow doesn't look loving crazy. Being really, deeply deranged produces alot fewer Nazis in slick Hugo Boss uniforms than it does people with cringe-inducing tattoos and bizarre, antagonistic fashion choices.

A good opinion.

In Bruce Campbell's book he tells a story about how the studio asked Sam Raimi to remove a scene from Darkman in which the villain rolled around naked in gold coins because it made a focus group uncomfortable. But that was the whole point! He's the bad guy, he's not supposed to be likable! You're supposed to be uncomfortable around him!
Just like this: the Joker and Harley are bad people doing bad things, they're supposed to be dressed like the kind of garbage people you avoid, they're not supposed to be dashing and put together and able to shop for the perfect assemble. They are garbage people wearing garbage clothing.

Now the trailers make it look terrible and try-hardy but that's another story.

And prepare to change your minds people who hate Pops:

Look what you'll be buying in July
(I, unironically, will be)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I genuinely don't get the appeal of Pops and I don't want to

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Duke Igthorn posted:

A good opinion.

In Bruce Campbell's book he tells a story about how the studio asked Sam Raimi to remove a scene from Darkman in which the villain rolled around naked in gold coins because it made a focus group uncomfortable. But that was the whole point! He's the bad guy, he's not supposed to be likable! You're supposed to be uncomfortable around him!
Just like this: the Joker and Harley are bad people doing bad things, they're supposed to be dressed like the kind of garbage people you avoid, they're not supposed to be dashing and put together and able to shop for the perfect assemble. They are garbage people wearing garbage clothing.

Now the trailers make it look terrible and try-hardy but that's another story.

My girlfriend audibly gasped when I showed her those and she hates most toys (I spend a lot). These are right up her alley.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Louisgod posted:

Vintersorg posted:

My girlfriend audibly gasped when I showed her those and she hates most toys (I spend a lot). These are right up her alley.

I guess that answers your question Louisgod - they distract your significant other so you can buy good toys.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

They are $10 while every other licensed figure is $20+

I'm not hating on them. I have 8 of them. I'm just stating why I think they've taken off so well. Also they make toys of things that hardly have toys available! They just showed off The Dark Crystal Pops today for example.

It's not like there are Hot Toys Golden Girls... YET

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like comic books where people wear weird, colorful clothing in simple, effective designs that communicate visually what I need to know about a character. I don't like character designs where there are a million little busy tidbits competing for attention and every visible surface has a bunch of words and like stickers and slogans and so on. I don't like designs that look like the initial sketch was passed around a roomful of marketing executives and each one scribbled on a different tattoo or accessory, and instead of working them into a polished, cohesive design, they just ran with literally everything on the paper at the end.

Good comic book outfits- I mean the really, really good ones that stick in people's minds - have been worked over by talented people to communicate more with less, because they know they're going to have to draw this loving thing for 22 pages a month, and they need people to know what they're looking at at a glance. You could communicate "dangerous garbage humans you don't want anything to do with" without a slapdash miasma of half-formed ideas like that. They look like wait staff at Crazy Clown's Family Dining Circus and they're wearing all the 'flair' they can so they don't get chewed out by the boss. They look like they were pulled off of the DeviantArt of some 9th grader who blocks people if they suggest maybe a second draft would be in order because they can't handle criticism. They Are Not Good Designs.

gently caress Pops, too, while I'm at it.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So my local TRU stocked NECA's '89 Batman figure (without the blu ray, oddly) and I impulsively bought one. He's pretty rad, but the cloth cape is kind of killing it for me. Didn't someone mention (a long while back) something about a guy selling custom faux leather cape replacements for NECA '89 Batmen? I'd love to get something a little bit better than a flimsy cloth cape for this dude.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
There are 3,000 of those TMNT Arcade sets - isn't that a lot? Not that I mind - the more the better - it just seems like a lot for an exclusive con-only release.

On a related matter, who is going to SDCC and would pick me up a set? :)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TaurusOxford posted:

I guess that answers your question Louisgod - they distract your significant other so you can buy good toys.

Finally, it makes sense. I guess I don't get the aesthetic appeal as they all look the same and have weird eyes. It'd be cool if they actually looked more like the character.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

There are 3,000 of those TMNT Arcade sets - isn't that a lot? Not that I mind - the more the better - it just seems like a lot for an exclusive con-only release.

It is, that's generally a very limited run of something thay hits retail. Almost seems like NECA has other plans for the line..

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate pops, but I like things that don't have many toys so, I'm gonna buy those Rick and Morty pops and I'd buy a Zim and Dib pop if they ever make one, but they won't because idiots think it's the Gir show.

The new comic is great because it's like 80% focused on Dib and that's a big gently caress yeah for me. Gir is even more of a side character than he ever was.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I really want a great Zim (alien) toy but it seems like the options are $5 unarticulated vinyl or $150 decent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it blows. I mean I have the original figures from 2005, but they're so fragile that I'm afraid to even look at them. I still a need a Tallest Purple, doggy suit Gir and a regular Dib to complete it for the most part.

I just need the dog Gir house part really.

Id like newer models. Those little vinyl things are poo poo and you pretty much just get Girs. I thankfully got a Zim though.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 26, 2016

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
FWIW, in Turtles in Time each turtle had an alternate skin tone. Maybe they'll make those with a wider release.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it blows. I mean I have the original figures from 2005, but they're so fragile that I'm afraid to even look at them. I still a need a Tallest Purple, doggy suit Gir and a regular Dib to complete it for the most part.

I just need the dog Gir house part really.

Id like newer models. Those little vinyl things are poo poo and you pretty much just get Girs. I thankfully got a Zim though.

So just to clarify, those older articulated figures are shockingly fragile in spite of the high price? Ok I'm going to stop trying to catch one for cheap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Very much so. They also scratch super easily. I kept a Dib in a box to move it and when I took it out it was completely scratched up. Great sculpts though.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I really want the tmnt villain set but I don't want to pay crazy for it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

Ah, perfect for my friends birthday :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So just to clarify, those older articulated figures are shockingly fragile in spite of the high price? Ok I'm going to stop trying to catch one for cheap.

Palisades (RIP) wasn't known for great QC. A lot of their toys across many lines just liked to break if you looked at it wrong. I can't remember how many Muppets I had that did that.

After market price is basically scarcity + popularity. Invader Zim is still ultra popular and Palisades no longer exists so high prices it is.