  • Post
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Computer viking posted:

As a contrast, consider this oddball who I sporadically run into on Norwegian forums: http://bendiklaland.info/documentiveinformals.html

Isn't it funny how these insane people websites all look roughly the same way? It's like they all have taken the same webdesign course or something.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It seems to go together with weird neologisms and peculiar diagrams - it feels like they try to force too many layers of meaning and structure (that only makes sense to themselves) into every sentence and the leftover parts bubble up as HTML formatting. It is strange how similar it ends up being, though.

In related news, his art page (".png" up top) is interesting.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gonz posted:

Moms.......ON THE NET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTGOw7GcY4

(Warning: This video contains an unusual amount of 1990's; discuss this video with your doctor if unsure before viewing)

Everyone except the baby in the first clip is wearing the same outfit and it's kind of unsettling.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I was afraid the thread had BSOD'd (heh just a little winblows humor for you guys!) but nope she's still humming. God bless gopher

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have no clue how you guys are running full games in virtual machines. I am using a pretty decent machine (core i7) and Win98 is so slow that I can see the mouse lagging!

There's a patch that fixes some kind of timing glitch / 100% CPU load big that's unique to win 98 in vms. I can't find it atm but the above keyword *should* get you a useable link with only modest Google-fu.

That's assuming it hasn't been posted like 15 times already. Nice as the awful app it's still tricky to quickly screen through a thread.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Wired has an article about the Xanadu project from a profile in 1995....from when Wired was decent.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That Xanadu thing seems cool for particular use cases.

Another crazy person:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=789892 posted:

Debian Bug report logs - #789892
gopher: Gophermap lines are not aligned correctly
Message #5 received at submit@bugs.debian.org (full text, mbox, reply):
From: Philipp Neumann <philmacfly@binary-kitchen.de>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: gopher: Gophermap lines are not aligned correctly
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:40:26 +0200

Package: gopher
Version: 3.0.13
Severity: minor

Dear Maintainer,

as I was setting up the gopherhole of our hackerspace (gopher://gopher.binary-kitchen.de),
I was using figlet to add some nice titles to my main gophermap, but one line was always
getting not aligned correctly. I checked again if the gophermap was correct, and indeed
it was (cat gave me the inteded result). So I tried it with some other gopher clients.
Lynx and the floodgap gopher proxy giving me the right result.
Here are the Screenshots with the different clients:
Debian gopher: http://i.imgur.com/uNhijv9.png
Lynx: http://i.imgur.com/BvVwkFE.png
floodgap: http://i.imgur.com/K5k0ts6.png

As Gopher is a fast-growing emerging technology, I find it important that Debian has a
working standard gopher client in its repos.

Squish posted:

There's a patch that fixes some kind of timing glitch / 100% CPU load big that's unique to win 98 in vms. I can't find it atm but the above keyword *should* get you a useable link with only modest Google-fu.

Like Waterfall? http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?122567-HALT-Software-based-CPU-Cooling-on-Windows-ME-%28CPUIdle-Rain-Waterfall%29

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

WebDog posted:

....from when Wired was decent.

My only experience with Wired was in 2005 when my library was giving away their old magazines and I got a stack of copies of Wired from the latest 90's to the year 2000. They were laughable because almost every prediction they made about future technology, from music to the internet to video games, was completely false and hilariously dated even at that point in time.

It was weird find in out years later that some olds actually held it in esteem at one point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy Mann posted:

It was weird find in out years later that some olds actually held it in esteem at one point.
Things were just extrapolated from what was around that point in time. I mean, could anyone really foresee the popularity of smartphones?
That poo poo was straight Star Trek stuff.

It probably didn't help that the folks more likely to be able to understand that stuff at the time probably weren't the best journalists.

Remember when theSegway was going to destroy the auto industry?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'd take it a lot more seriously if his website didn't make it seem like he's fighting some weird holy war against HTML

Well now you sold me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

blugu64 posted:

Well now you sold me.

he had me at "sworph"

Edit: also "flink"

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 06:33 on May 25, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

My only experience with Wired was in 2005 when my library was giving away their old magazines and I got a stack of copies of Wired from the latest 90's to the year 2000. They were laughable because almost every prediction they made about future technology, from music to the internet to video games, was completely false and hilariously dated even at that point in time.

It was weird find in out years later that some olds actually held it in esteem at one point.

i enjoyed late 90s/early 00s wired for exactly this reason. they always put me onto some dumb poo poo that would never work out but was funny/interesting to look at. poo poo all the way from second life to 1 inch tall (!!!!) flip phones.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Did anyone else use a CD during the Windows 95 era, which contained game demos and to access each demo you had to walk around this spaceship?

Fake edit: just found a Youtube of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTHVAUY48M ooh nostalgia.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

Wired has an article about the Xanadu project from a profile in 1995....from when Wired was decent.

Oh, the guy has ADD, maybe that explains the website?

http://www.wired.com/1995/06/xanadu/ posted:

In Japan, Nelson has been lobbying for a system of transclusion that does not depend on the Xanadu software. He has baptized this system "transcopyright." Transcopyright is not a technology; it is Nelson's suggestion for a contractual solution to copyright problems. Nelson argues that electronic publishers should allow anybody to republish their materials, provided that republication takes place by means of a pointer to the original document or fragment. Just as in Nelson's imaginary Xanadu franchises, publishers of transcopyrighted documents would receive a payment every time one of their bytes was accessed.

In his description of transcopyright, the inventor admits that "certain unusual software features are required" to implement his system, including a back end that can bill users for small amounts of materials, and a front end capable of automatically editing and presenting documents that may have been purchased from several sources.

I wonder if he's heard of bitcoin since this article was written? :ohdear:

http://www.wired.com/1995/06/xanadu/ posted:

He had arrived in California extremely burnt out and depressed, and on the advice of a former girlfriend, he signed up for some sex-liberation seminars. At what was then called the Stan Dale Sex Workshops (and has since been renamed The Human Awareness Institute), Nelson received what he calls a Great Healing. He soon took all the workshops.

I wonder what this Human Awareness Institute is all about?

http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?4,4371,page=1 posted:

I was a little nervous at first, they don't discuss specifics of what happens in the workshops, and that rang an alarm bell with me. However, having been there, I agree with their position. If you knew what was coming at you, you would chicken out, or make different "safer" choices, and you wouldn't get as much out of it.

:stare: Sounds legit.

quote:

it's clothing-optional

quote:

getting comfortable with touching the bodies of other people, including genitalia

:gonk:

e: So maybe he's having too much free love to get around to finishing Xanadu.

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 07:06 on May 25, 2016

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

1 inch tall (!!!!) flip phones.

That's probably the most hilarious thing of them all. I caught a bit of the first Zoolander movie on the other day, and it constantly made a joke about Ben Stiller having a tiny cellphone because that's where people thought the trend was.

Now it's the opposite and we have loving gigantic phones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ishikabibble posted:

That's probably the most hilarious thing of them all. I caught a bit of the first Zoolander movie on the other day, and it constantly made a joke about Ben Stiller having a tiny cellphone because that's where people thought the trend was.

Now it's the opposite and we have loving gigantic phones.
It probably would have been the trend if all we needed to do was call people (and carry around a bunch of other things like a Discman, watch, electric dictionary, camcorder...). The Nokia that everyone had around 2000 was pretty svelte. Hell, my 2004era Kyocera Slider was a tiny, tiny phone that still functioned ok.

Texting kind of stalled the microminiphone as a thing. screens suddenly needed to be better, and you needed to be able to type decently on the keypad. When the iPhone proved your cell could actually be a tiny, useful computer, small became a liability.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yeah, if I still carried around a phone Id probably want it to be about the size of a credit card, slip into your pocket easy. But nobody carries phones anymore. We all have small computers that we occasionally make calls on.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Fanatic posted:

Did anyone else use a CD during the Windows 95 era, which contained game demos and to access each demo you had to walk around this spaceship?

Fake edit: just found a Youtube of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTHVAUY48M ooh nostalgia.

There are quite a number of games I would love to play again on that disc. Time to rummage around my old PC parts boxes!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Back in, I wanna say early 2000s? There was this 'game' that came out touting 'revolutionary' learning AI in the form of a 3d little spider bot thing that was supposed to first learn how to move it's limbs well enough so that it stops just wriggling off a platform to its death, and then learn it's way through a maze, though I just had a demo of it so I don't know what you were supposed to do besides watch it's struggles. I haven't been able to find what the gently caress this was since though. Does anyone know?

Black Pants has a new favorite as of 08:50 on May 25, 2016

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Back in, I wanna say early 2000s? There was this 'game' that came out touting 'revolutionary' learning AI in the form of a 3d little spider bot thing that was supposed to first learn how to move it's limbs well enough so that it stops just wriggling off a platform to its death, and then learn it's way through a maze, though I just had a demo of it so I don't know what you were supposed to do besides watch it's struggles. I haven't been able to find what the loving this was since though. Does anyone know?

Hilariously this timeline works with Black and White perfectly. Sounds like better gameplay though.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I just love that through it all, these "tech experts" never even tried to predict the advent of the cheap capacitive touch screen and maintained the idea the AKIHABARA NUMBER ONE MINI-PHONE (hello kitty edition) was the latest and greatest.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Predictions of the future are notoriously unreliable, its not like it was just Wired that got everything wrong.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
WIRED did put out a book called Reality Check where they listed in chronological order the years that potential future tech would come of age. It surprisingly gets quite a fair amount right if somewhat off the mark - for example predicting digital books being a thing happening in 2013 when in 1996 the concept was actually only a few years away with the RocketEbook reader which had an online store and could download your newspaper overnight, in 1998

And many of the other predictions that are not insanely fanciful like AIDS cures by 2002 or overnight custom clothing in 1999, they are looking in the right direction. They suggested that by 2010 CDs will become second rate noting the early rise of people making digital copies of music and even suggesting something like a DAT tape or a flash card. Or the fanciful idea of VOD in 1997 but it's article is spot on noting that the avenue for using The Net to download high quality video is potentially doable just in 1996 quite a few things needed to advance namely internet speeds and processing power.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminded me of SpectateSwamp.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Black Pants posted:

Back in, I wanna say early 2000s? There was this 'game' that came out touting 'revolutionary' learning AI in the form of a 3d little spider bot thing that was supposed to first learn how to move it's limbs well enough so that it stops just wriggling off a platform to its death, and then learn it's way through a maze, though I just had a demo of it so I don't know what you were supposed to do besides watch it's struggles. I haven't been able to find what the gently caress this was since though. Does anyone know?

Galapagos: Mendel's Escape

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
All the Wired talk reminds me of those AT&T commercials from the early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The difference being most of those AT&T predictions actually happened. Video calls from a phone booth maybe not, using your voice to unlock your doors, no, and think email instead of fax from the beach, but most of those things from those 1993 ads are commonplace now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gimme some fax at the beach
And I'll keep on learning all that you can teach
Your skin is like a peach
Gimme some fax at the beach

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

GutBomb posted:

The difference being most of those AT&T predictions actually happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zE5f_A5sY

People actually thought this happened to Christopher Reeve at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Aha. Not waterfall, but rain. That solved the slowdown in VM issue that I was having with Win98SE on VirtualBox

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WebDog posted:

overnight custom clothing in 1999, they are looking in the right direction.

You can get a custom t-shirt printed on demand with the photo of your choice, though...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Police Automaton posted:

Isn't it funny how these insane people websites all look roughly the same way? It's like they all have taken the same webdesign course or something.

Same with those people who write all over their cars... actually, usually vans, about the police spying on them and some guy in town stealing their energy or whatever. You see one, you've seen 'em all.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fanatic posted:

Did anyone else use a CD during the Windows 95 era, which contained game demos and to access each demo you had to walk around this spaceship?

Fake edit: just found a Youtube of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTHVAUY48M ooh nostalgia.

Has been posted here before I guess but yeah, I spent so much time with the Win95 Game Sampler. I even played Doom 1 for the first time through this. There's an ISO on archive.org

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GutBomb posted:

The difference being most of those AT&T predictions actually happened. Video calls from a phone booth maybe not, using your voice to unlock your doors, no, and think email instead of fax from the beach, but most of those things from those 1993 ads are commonplace now.
The things they suggested all exist in some form. Most of them just missed the ubiquity of handheld computers or the internet.

1. Borrow a book from thousands of miles away:

Obviously you can "borrow" a book from anywhere. If you wanted to, you could read a book over Skype with someone else turning the pages. Or just download it. Can be done on a phone trivially.

2. Go somewhere without "stopping to ask for directions":

Or read a loving map. They pretty much nailed this one right down to execution.

3. Send a fax from the beach:

You can absolutely send a literal fax from a beach provided you have some sort of internet connection. Maybe you are hiding in Mexico and have to file a form with an underfunded city government or some poo poo and they only accept faxes? There are websites and apps that can send a fax among many other methods.

4. Pay a toll without slowing down:

Yes, you can absolutely do this and in many places it's the best option. Straight up retarded version of the concept in the video - hey, swipe your credit card through an MSR in your dashboard while driving at full speed through concrete toll pylons.

5. Buy concert tickets from a "cash machine":

And if the line is too long at the kiosk then buy them on your phone.

6. Look at your kid on a CRT in a phone booth

For the younger goons, a phone booth was a box or partitioned area with a "pay phone". You would put some coins in it and dial someone's phone number that you had written down or memorized. You can video chat from anywhere now.

7. Open doors with your voice

Hey it worked for Adele. This is kind of dumb in execution in the video, but absolutely can be done. However, I just use my phone as a location-gated key. When I leave it locks up, when I get home it unlocks. The example of carrying groceries is exactly what I use my smart lock for.

8. Carried your medical history in your wallet

There's progress to be made here, but could I technically store a copy of my medical history in my wallet? Sure, I could probably store everyone in the world's medical history in my wallet on a fingernail sized chip. It's the medical industry lacking here, not the technology anyway.

9. Attended a meeting with neither socks nor shoes

I don't even necessarily get out of my pajamas depending on the meeting. I live in Pittsburgh, not a Tahitian beach house, but yes, taking my shoes off is 100% feasible.

10. Watched a movie when you wanted to

Points for getting the TV pretty much right, and the interface on some cable boxes looks worse than their mockup. On demand video is obviously here, like for instance the AT&T 1993 You Will Ads video!

11. Take a class from somewhere not literally in a school

Setting up a weird little booth to huddle around seems kind of stupid, and they seem to have missed the actual internet part of it, but sure. Enjoy your jazz class Oakland students.

Overall they're really accurate in concept even if they missed the target on implementation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SLOSifl posted:

The things they suggested all exist in some form.

Really, the biggest thing they got wrong is that AT&T wasn't the company that brought any of that stuff to us. :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SLOSifl posted:

6. Look at your kid on a CRT in a phone booth

For the younger goons, a phone booth was a box or partitioned area with a "pay phone". You would put some coins in it and dial someone's phone number that you had written down or memorized. You can video chat from anywhere now.

2001 got to this much earlier than that commercial, and from SPAAAAAAAACE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwo6JpMceg

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Good to know the US government has us all beat on this.

Federal legacy IT investments are becoming increasingly obsolete: many use outdated software languages and hardware parts that are unsupported. Agencies reported using several systems that have components that are, in some cases, at least 50 years old. For example, Department of Defense uses 8-inch floppy disks in a legacy system that coordinates the operational functions of the nation's nuclear forces. In addition, Department of the Treasury uses assembly language code—a computer language initially used in the 1950s and typically tied to the hardware for which it was developed.

Look at the outdated systems listed,

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-16-468

A vacuum tube breaking can take out a government system. Good to know.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Those YOU WILL things from the 90's looks so cool and neat.......it's weird how quickly it became mundane and depressing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lime Tonics posted:

Good to know the US government has us all beat on this.

Federal legacy IT investments are becoming increasingly obsolete: many use outdated software languages and hardware parts that are unsupported. Agencies reported using several systems that have components that are, in some cases, at least 50 years old. For example, Department of Defense uses 8-inch floppy disks in a legacy system that coordinates the operational functions of the nation's nuclear forces. In addition, Department of the Treasury uses assembly language code—a computer language initially used in the 1950s and typically tied to the hardware for which it was developed.

Look at the outdated systems listed,

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-16-468

A vacuum tube breaking can take out a government system. Good to know.

I assume though that these days they're desperate to keep those systems in place now? I'm guessing they don't want to upgrade to the latest and greatest since that old offline analog equipment offers it a greater measure of security by the very nature of it being physically unhackable.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Assembly eh? So all those Sonic the Hedgehog rom hackers can probably snag government jobs!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4