Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

In EL the civs (factions) actually have a lot more then personality differences, each got their own gameplay mechanics.

Absolutely, but by giving each civ a definite agenda is a step closer to EL than Civ 5, which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jastiger posted:

Absolutely, but by giving each civ a definite agenda is a step closer to EL than Civ 5, which is good.

Yes, sure. But in EL is even hard to say the AI has any agenda at all, since its so drat stupid and ineffective (or at least it was last time Ive played it)

The division of research into civic and "physical tech", if I understood it correctly, seems also EL-like

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is it confirmed that India's leader is Gandhi again?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Not yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

And no surprise, China's a civ. I haven't finished the video yet, but I wonder what leader they'll pick. Han Wudi?

It looks like Qin Shi Huang, the Yellow Emperor. I 100% wager that if it's him, China will be an annoying SoB since his claims to fame are basically big engineering projects (like Wonders) and bureaucratizing the nation to better function as a war machine and conquer the poo poo out of its neighbors.

If they wanted a modern Chinese leader other than Mao, they could've gone with the Dowager Empress Cixi.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

IGN confirms that Americans get a unique film studio building.

Their unique unit is the rough rider and a P-51 fighter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like Qin Shi Huang, the Yellow Emperor. I 100% wager that if it's him, China will be an annoying SoB since his claims to fame are basically big engineering projects (like Wonders) and bureaucratizing the nation to better function as a war machine and conquer the poo poo out of its neighbors.

The video states that one of China's UUs is a builder that can be used to rush wonders.

At least China as a wonderwhore will be a change of pace.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The video states that one of China's UUs is a builder that can be used to rush wonders.

At least China as a wonderwhore will be a change of pace.

IGN clarified that. The Chinese builders get 4 charges, while other civs get 3 charges.

So it looks like all builders get to help rush wonders, but China's bonus just happens to make them better at it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
My biggest takeaway from that video is that the minimap will finally show us individual terrain types again instead of just "water," "mountain" and "not mountain."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When they say "rush wonder" I'm guessing it's significantly less of a boost than a Great Engineer. You'll probably need to throw multiple workers at it to finish in a reasonable amount of time at all (unless only China can do it at all, n which case, still).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

When they say "rush wonder" I'm guessing it's significantly less of a boost than a Great Engineer. You'll probably need to throw multiple workers at it to finish in a reasonable amount of time at all (unless only China can do it at all, n which case, still).

Really it sounds like builders are simply a means of transferring hammers from cities to the terrain. Maybe all wonders are built by builders and it's just a question of how many charges you spend? It's not clear to me if cities build anything directly besides units and buildings-in-districts.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Really it sounds like builders are simply a means of transferring hammers from cities to the terrain. Maybe all wonders are built by builders and it's just a question of how many charges you spend? It's not clear to me if cities build anything directly besides units and buildings-in-districts.
In the video you can see the Pyramids in the city's build list.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Man, there's so much new stuff going on, it's going to take a while to process. The tech tree split is a really great idea though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really like that I shouldn't have to research oceanfaring techs to get further into the education tree.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The map graphics look cool and I love the map-style fog of war, reminds me of EUIV. The UI looks kinda dated and web-2.0 shiny button style though, with a touch of steampunk. It reminds me of what I vaguely remember dota 2 or some other moba's UI to look like. It would be cool if the UI style changed as you progressed through the eras.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Odobenidae posted:

The map graphics look cool and I love the map-style fog of war, reminds me of EUIV. The UI looks kinda dated and web-2.0 shiny button style though, with a touch of steampunk. It reminds me of what I vaguely remember dota 2 or some other moba's UI to look like. It would be cool if the UI style changed as you progressed through the eras.

And the leaders did too as you progressed ala Civ 4.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

And the leaders did too as you progressed ala Civ 4.

You're thinking of Civ3, with its punk-rocker Joan of Arc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

This is what I miss most about Civ.

Maybe they'll bring it back for Civ 6. Doubtful, but one can always hope when a new title in the franchise is announced.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thatcher for England, tia.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Kennel posted:

Thatcher for England, tia.

Pitt the Elder!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I just saw a screenshot of a P-51 and what looked like an airfield.

Airbases back for Civ6 confirmed?!

e:
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/735492650170601473

Lowen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 25, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You're thinking of Civ3, with its punk-rocker Joan of Arc.

Ah you're right. Its still a nice touch, imo.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm actually starting to get hyped for this. Hopefully Civ6 will continue the proud tradition of all even Civ games being good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lowen posted:

I just saw a screenshot of a P-51 and what looked like an airfield.

Airbases back for Civ6 confirmed?!

e:
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/735492650170601473

I can see it as a district building, like the barracks.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

And no surprise, China's a civ. I haven't finished the video yet, but I wonder what leader they'll pick. Han Wudi?

when will i finally get to be cao cao, god dammit!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I also hope Re: Barbarians, they should stop spawning in such numbers after say industrial age. Or at least stop them from spawning in the frigid north to come and futz with my stuff late game. That just gets old.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope great works will still be in in some way. The artwork, music and read quotes makes it very rewarding and more interesting.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can see it as a district building, like the barracks.
Exactly, but it's still nice to see them like that. :shobon:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
all that color and teddy looks more like taft. what a mess.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If the leader meeting screen they have for Teddy's not placeholder at all, it could actually be more conducive to multiple Civ leaders than Civ V's sculpted scenes were. There's still the issue of voice acting, but a model alone should mean less work with props and posing and such. I'd imagine it cuts down on memory resources required for diplomacy and eases the work of modding, too.

Poil posted:

I really hope great works will still be in in some way. The artwork, music and read quotes makes it very rewarding and more interesting.

I forget which link, but in a video where Ed Beach was commenting over the official trailer, he was mentioning that most things in it were significant to the game somehow, and the parts where you saw paintings like Starry Night and Liberty Leading the People were indicative of Great Works still being in as a game mechanic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
hopefully the victory conditions are a little more distinct. In base Civ, from my experience, all of victory conditions except for Warfare essentially involve reaching the endgame era. Diplomatic victory is probably the next earliest, but is ultimately a survival game as you try not to piss off everyone by being allies with as many CSes as possible. Culture and Tourism don't really take shape until the latter techs since they unlock buildings that boost Tourism output and winning without them is essentially impossible. There's also the Science Victory which is pretty much the last possible victory condition outside of Time

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hogama posted:

If the leader meeting screen they have for Teddy's not placeholder at all, it could actually be more conducive to multiple Civ leaders than Civ V's sculpted scenes were. There's still the issue of voice acting, but a model alone should mean less work with props and posing and such. I'd imagine it cuts down on memory resources required for diplomacy and eases the work of modding, too.

True, but I actually really liked the backgrounds of civ v leader screens, particularly when the leaders interacted with them in some way. Like, Boudica slamming her sword into the nearby cart is good stuff.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jastiger posted:

I also hope Re: Barbarians, they should stop spawning in such numbers after say industrial age. Or at least stop them from spawning in the frigid north to come and futz with my stuff late game. That just gets old.

It'd be nice to get a fix for barbarians spawning in some arse end of the world on a tiny two tile island and pillaging all your ocean trade routes. I like the way barbs present a speedbump to expansion in the early game, but they really only work in that earlier game sequence of exploration and expansion. By the late game they don't really have a purpose, they just become a chore that comes up every now and again. It's really only an issue on worthless/unsettlable land masses like one tile islands and polar regions, but it'd be nice to have a solution, even if it is just going back to civ 4's approach of barb camps not spawning in areas you've already explored.

Xelkelvos posted:

hopefully the victory conditions are a little more distinct. In base Civ, from my experience, all of victory conditions except for Warfare essentially involve reaching the endgame era. Diplomatic victory is probably the next earliest, but is ultimately a survival game as you try not to piss off everyone by being allies with as many CSes as possible. Culture and Tourism don't really take shape until the latter techs since they unlock buildings that boost Tourism output and winning without them is essentially impossible. There's also the Science Victory which is pretty much the last possible victory condition outside of Time

Tourism/culture is actually one you have to cultivate throughout the game, although I've never tried to just force it through in the lategame so maybe I'm wrong. But my approach to it at least is starting from turn 1, it's useful to beeline wonders that have great works slots, and to get the great artist/writer/musician buildings asap so you can produce more great works, and all that stuff happens around the midgame. The lategame is when all that culture starts actually overwhelming the other civs and when you pick up the bonuses to push it over the brink with the more resilient ones, but I don't really see a problem with that. If they are including great works into the base game it'd be interesting to see them implemented more like another resource instead of being sequestered into their own separate thing - being able to steal them or buy them with other gold/resources off other players, instead of only being able to trade like-for-like great works.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 25, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

I expect that all victory conditions will still usually involve playing a "full" game, where you're in the last era at least before you achieve victory. There'll be gimmicks like getting absurd early conquest victories or maybe something like Civ4's Apostolic Palace religious victory, but otherwise, you're in it for the long haul. Victory should prove your civ's dominance, and if there remains the possibility of a later civ outshining you by whatever metric, how have you truly won?

That said, I do hope that Civ6's victories involve playing differently moreso than they do in Civ5. In particular, it'd be nice if the diplomatic victory wasn't really an economic victory -- in Civ5 it's almost entirely just a measure of how effectively you can bribe city-states.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, to be sure, there's great stuff in the Civ V approach. Harald Bluetooth chucking his helm and storming off camera, any of Montezuma's posturings in front of the flames, and so forth. Just looking at what opportunities the latest game brings, is all.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I expect that all victory conditions will still usually involve playing a "full" game, where you're in the last era at least before you achieve victory. There'll be gimmicks like getting absurd early conquest victories or maybe something like Civ4's Apostolic Palace religious victory, but otherwise, you're in it for the long haul. Victory should prove your civ's dominance, and if there remains the possibility of a later civ outshining you by whatever metric, how have you truly won?

That said, I do hope that Civ6's victories involve playing differently moreso than they do in Civ5. In particular, it'd be nice if the diplomatic victory wasn't really an economic victory -- in Civ5 it's almost entirely just a measure of how effectively you can bribe city-states.

One of the things that struck me about the gameplay video, now that I've had time to pay closer attention to it, is that they seem to have captured the feeling of giving the player adaptable strategic options at any point in the game. The way the new policy system works, bumps in research from the eurekas, and the use of workers and building districts all seem to allow for more choice and options based on the situation the player finds himself in, which is great. One of the things I really liked about Civ 5 is that it felt like all victory types were possible for any civ, and you could adapt how you were playing to what the other players were up to. This seems like that feeling taken to a whole new level and I love it.

Granted, that's from seeing some really early-game footage, so who knows how an entire game will play out.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Red Bones posted:

even if it is just going back to civ 4's approach of barb camps not spawning in areas you've already explored.
Barbs, both standalone and cities, could and did spawn in areas you'd explored in Civ IV, just not within a certain range (3 tiles, I think?) of a non-barb unit.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm a little wary of diplomacy so far. The only scenario they've played is one where they put a civ that likes to declare war on weaker nations with a civ that doesn't like that sort of thing. So inevitably, you see the situation unfold in a way that makes narrative sense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I guess it's time for my semiannual attempt to git gud at Civ 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel bad that they stole jon shafer's fog of war for his game.

lol at teddy being robotnik.