Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

You've been arguing this point for more than 24 hours. :psyduck: Can't we talk about how rad the orcs look or something?

Toady posted:

It would be just as silly and irrelevant given that WoW is the IP and the film is the licensed product, so I agree that you shouldn't bother.

Shut up!!

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Blizzard is undeniably promoting its new Warcraft movie to Warcraft players. I think a Sisyphean rule is kind of interesting, though. The idea that, to WoW subscribers, one can do nothing but advertise more WoW.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Nobody's saying anything new & it's clear who is right so let it go my man!!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe, after 21 years, Mortal Kombat is still somehow the best videogame movie.

And even that is kinda lovely.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't believe, after 21 years, Mortal Kombat is still somehow the best videogame movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Did u like this? I did not think it was particularly good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Like I'm gonna listen to any of these pieces of poo poo after BvS.

huh. you're not gonna listen to correct people?

computer parts posted:

Nah, the conspiracy theory is that we have dumb action blockbusters because those dastardly Chinese can't understand English.

it isn't a conspiracy theory or even a conspiracy. i dunno why you always make bad unknowing posts when people posts facts but it's p annoying.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I like the awful resident evil movies but yea I can't really think of any truly good video game movie.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Does wreck it Ralph count?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Did u like this? I did not think it was particularly good.

Spoken like someone who "fears good movies", my friend...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone who wasted far too many hours in my teenage years (and shamefully some early 20s) in WoW I will not watch this movie but I will enjoy reading the reviews and people explaining how it's poo poo and laughing at lovely screenshots

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Garona stuff is just so bad - it's probably the worst thing about this entire movie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Embargo's up, so here's my review:

quote:

I can't believe that the best videogame movie is still Paul W.S. Anderson's 1995 schlock B-flick Mortal Kombat. Undisputed colossi of the medium: Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, Doom, Tomb Raider, all have stumbled when it comes a cinematic adaptation, the end products ranging from just-plain-bad to mindblowing terribleness.

Despite its hot young director, its $100 million budget and impressive CGI characters, Warcraft does nothing to change this.

Based on Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft franchise, which incorporates a real-time strategy series and a hugely successful online roleplaying game, the film (ominously subtitled 'The Beginning') introduces us to the troubled world of Azeroth, where fantasy creatures of all stripes mingle in a hard-won peace. Meanwhile, on a dying planet, a race of tusked, green and muscular orcs makes a desperate plan for survival. Constructing a dark magic portal, they transport a war party to Azeroth. Their mission is to take control of this world, construct another portal and bring their entire race over for general death and destruction.

Caught up all this drama are perpetua-smirking human warrior Anduin (Travis Fimmel), Orc Chieftain-with-a-conscience Durotan (Toby Kebbell), half-Orc sex warrior Garona (Paula Patton), wizard Medivh (Ben Foster) and evil Orc mage Gul'dan (Daniel Wu). Bringing up the rear are countless more characters with silly names and sillier outfits, most of whom end up fodder for the film's climactic fights.

So, Warcraft the movie is pretty crap. I'm sorry but there it is. My main problem (above the cliched script and flat performances) is that Azeroth is both dull and incredibly kitsch. No doubt that's heresy to those who've happily immersed themselves for thousands of hours in its virtual towns, forests and dungeons, but creating your own avatar, making friends setting out to explore together is a very different prospect to settling down and passively observing the place.

It's basically 'yer average sub-Tolkien ripoff: a melange of elves, wizards and dwarves and stock fantasy creatures. Aesthetically it's an off-putting combo of primary coloured neon and tacky Donald Trumpian armour; all gleaming gold filigree and gigantic shoulder pauldrons. The result is an off-puttingly plastic universe, one that's largely clean, ordered and artificial. The inevitable comparison is to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy - where (for just one example) if you saw a guy in a suit of armour you could generally understand it as a practical thing a person might conceive, design and wear. In Warcraft the armour looks like it popped out of a chest as a reward for defeating a particularly difficult boss. Which I suppose makes sense.

"So what?" you might think. Well, subtle things like having practical and aesthetic grounding (or even just a bit of dirt on them) makes the big fantastical elements much easier to swallow. In Warcraft it's all neon-glowy-magic, fantastic beasts and portals across time from the get-go, but without the grounding it is impossible to take it seriously, particular when the film insists on being so crushingly po-faced.

On top of this is the (no doubt commercially minded) decision to cast young. Warcraft is a film really crying out for a stagey English actor with gravitas to sell us on stuff like 'fell magic' or whatever. Instead you get a cast that looks more like as if they're to ComicCon than off to war. So. the feared 'Guardian' wizard looks like he could play bass in a college band, a warrior in his early 30s mourns the death of his 23 year old son and the King of all the land looks maybe 35.

But these all pale into comparison next to the disaster that's Paula Patton's Garona. Painted green like some Captain Kirk conquest, she's saddled with joke-shop quality fangs and 'battle bikini'. Maybe, maybe a top-tier actor could have powered through that stuff, but Paula Patton (who has my deepest sympathy) isn't that. She's got kind of character design where you wish someone on set had whispered "Dunc.. this really isn't working..." in the director's ear.

Of course, there is one element that isn't fresh-faced: the orcs. They're a triumph of technology and animation and, for 8 foot tall green warriormen, pretty believable. They're the film's one unambiguously good thing, even if just to marvel at how far CGI has come. Things fall apart a bit when they have to interact with humans, but so long as it's just them on the screen you can at least appreciate top quality animation.

It's depressing to see Duncan Jones, a genuinely promising director come a cropper so badly. Moon and Source Code had a singular visual style, melding faintly Kubrickian geometry with icky body horror elements. There's none of that here; the direction is largely anonymous, aping the more generic elements of Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott and general big budget fantasy.

I suspect part of the problem is that Jones is a self-professed fan of Warcraft. With a property like this you need a fresh pair of eyes - someone who will mercilessly slice away the flabby, ridiculous and fanservice-y stuff.

Warcraft is not an entertaining experience. It's a boring, ugly and deeply naff film that has flop written all over it. I just hope Jones can bounce back from this.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The whole movie should have been CG. It still would have been terrible but it would have at least looked nice and just a little more like the game.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Paula Patton's sweet and endearing persona is so at odds with the way you'd normally play this kind of thing that I'm a little curious.

I saw Fantastic Four to see what it's like when a promising young director gets thrown into a woodchipper, so will probably see this as well. Of course, I thought that's what I was doing with Jurassic World, and then that made all the money, so who the gently caress knows.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jesus that Garona costume is so bad.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
She's not very muscular for a trained assassin

Or is she not one in the movie I haven't kept up with it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

She's not very muscular for a trained assassin

Or is she not one in the movie I haven't kept up with it

She's a sex slave in the film.

She also remarks that her bones are stronger because they've been repeatedly broken by orcs raping her. I'm not sure that's how healed bones work but w/e.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

She also remarks that her bones are stronger because they've been repeatedly broken by orcs raping her.

I don't believe you.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't believe you.

I'm really not kidding.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm really not kidding.

That seems unnecessary.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

She also remarks that her bones are stronger because they've been repeatedly broken by orcs raping her. I'm not sure that's how healed bones work but w/e.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
100% behind your decision not to crop out the Polish diarrhea ad at the bottom

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That seems unnecessary.

That's Garona, though. She's a slave of the Shadow Council, mind controlled by Gul'dan who captured a draenei priestess and ordered her gang-raped until she gave birth to a child, who Gul'dan promptly mind-controlled to train as an assassin. That's Garona.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cythereal posted:

That's Garona, though. She's a slave of the Shadow Council, mind controlled by Gul'dan who captured a draenei priestess and ordered her gang-raped until she gave birth to a child, who Gul'dan promptly mind-controlled to train as an assassin. That's Garona.

Did you know, it's possible to change stupid awful things when making an adaptation.

Crazy, I know.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Apparently these were much different games than I recall.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

That's Garona's mom would be more accurate except I thought this movie went with half-human not half-draenei so it's still wrong???

Ignoring that anyway it probably would be smart to gloss over if you can't be bothered to come up with something else.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Or rather that's what she was retconned to be by edgelord hacks later down the line anyway. And then similarly lovely people decided not to do something else when adapting the property.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I have no idea where they spent the $100 Million of the budget on this movie. This poo poo just looks cheap as gently caress

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Listen, calling Warcraft 'poo poo' is one thing. Anyone with functioning eyeballs saw it coming the second the first trailers and posters hit. However, calling Mortal loving Kombat 'kinda lovely' are god drat fighting words.

e: Now I know what I'm going to watch tonight.

Batham fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 25, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do they saw anything about how there's a half Orc half human in their mid 20's when the portal was just opened?

It's weird that the movie kept something that even Metzen realized didn't make any sense.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That guard left to the center of the frame is standing the gently caress still. He hopes the barbarian lady wont notice him but the king already suspects he is there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do they saw anything about how there's a half Orc half human in their mid 20's when the portal was just opened?

It's weird that the movie kept something that even Metzen realized didn't make any sense.

Warcraft 1 strongly implied she was just plain old half ogre because orcs and ogres were the only two races from the other side of the Dark Portal we met.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Marky Marx posted:

Does wreck it Ralph count?

No, it is an original story and character that had video game IPs get plugged into it. It is a legitimatly well made and enjoyable movie which is better than at least all non Mortal Kombat movies, depending on how much you enjoy that particular brand of fun schlock.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wreck it Ralph should either have gone all licenced games or no licenced games. Having a load of (poo poo) real world cameos alongside the movie world knockoffs was jarring and awful.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

What are the odds that there's another Warcraft movie anyway?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

European reviews are somewhere in the middle and it's not total trash is what I'm reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4kzpz1/german_critic_reviews_of_warcraft_overwhelmingly/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What are the odds that there's another Warcraft movie anyway?

International response seems pretty good so it just depends on the US audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This doesn't sound right. The female Orc body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

loving lmao how is this the backstory you are going to give your most prominent female character for a PG13 film?

• Locked thread