Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Parrying is so safe and easy in Bloodborne that you have pretty much no excuse not to learn it, especially since the old block-and-punish system from Dark Souls is simply not present.

I don't think I've ever learned the parry timing for a single enemy in DS2 or DS3. It's too hard and you never really need to do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

Parrying is so safe and easy in Bloodborne that you have pretty much no excuse not to learn it, especially since the old block-and-punish system from Dark Souls is simply not present.

I don't think I've ever learned the parry timing for a single enemy in DS2 or DS3. It's too hard and you never really need to do it anyway.

Yeah, I was just surprised I had the reflexes still down.

I had to tell him to keep turning around so he would get both the weapon AND the gun. To his credit though he backstabbed and visceral'd the starting werewolf no problem and would have powered on just fine if I didn't tell him to take a dive. :v:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Lothric sword knights and the mace cathedral knights are pretty easy to parry, and almost obligatory if you don't have a sword weapon art. The rest, agreed.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Threw on Way of Blue to help some bluebros out at in Crucifixion Woods. Dried Finger up and we're off! Went pretty well; saw bluebro everytime I was invaded, but not during the same session. Like, id get a bluebro with the first invader, but if he died and I killed the invader, then got invaded again, I wouldnt see another bluebro. Weird. Saw some Watchdogs but not many.

If you see bluebro Sir Jojo, he is bad. Saw him 3 times, and he died all three. First to the crabs, then to being afk, then to falling down the Farron Keep bonfire ladder. Poor bastard

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ineffiable posted:

I'm almost positive that blue sentinels don't activate as a result of a watchdog invasion. Just so you know.
Either way, I sat for an hour and a half without a summon. Somebody should have been running WoB at my available level range and upgrade and gotten invaded somewhere on the planet in that time. The people it does work for report usually waiting no more than 5 minutes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lotish posted:

Apparently sorcery pyromancy can't work because of animation conflicts, so It's not likely.

I guess a pyro-staff would be more of a pyro-wand to make it all line up still.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The real issue is that it'd be work for them to switch animations for the pyromancy spells to make sense.

A talisman can mostly pass it off. There's just no way a staff can make Fire Surge look right.

They had problems with this in DS2 too. Try casting Soul Greatsword from the sorcery shield sometime and see what happens.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the best compromise would be some kind of "Crystal Hand" that looks like a glove (or just gives your hand a bright glow). Just make it a really short staff ala the Crystal Chime.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

The only thing that really annoys me about poise being off for players is that it's very clearly not disabled for monsters in PvE. In Bloodborne, the lack of poise was totally fine because small enemies also had zero poise, and thus they were staggered by every hit from every weapon. It was only large enemies that could tank even a single hit, and even then you could stagger them consistently if you could string together a few hits. In this game, there are enemies that are your size and use weapons you can use with all the same moves, and they get poise and hyper armor for loving days, so it just makes combat feel really lopsided and stupid. I would probably enjoy fighting Lothric Knights and Black Knights a lot more if they weren't totally invincible killing machines while they mashed R1 at you, and all you can do is pathetically stick and move regardless of what weapon you're using.

Eh? That's pretty much exactly how it works in this game. Almost every single humanoid enemy has zero poise and can be chainstunned from full to dead as a result. The only exceptions are large humanoids like the cathedral and black knights. You mention Lothric knights but they don't have any poise whatsoever, they just use their shields annoyingly well. The ones two-handing swords have hyper armour on many attacks, but they can still be stunlocked if you attack at the right time.

I can't think of a single normal sized enemy that has poise. Even loving Havel gets staggered by anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's the problem, there has to be some sort of stick-like protrusion, or else Farron Flashsword will simply not work because ???.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

That's the problem, there has to be some sort of stick-like protrusion, or else Farron Flashsword will simply not work because ???.

It works on the Crystal Chime. Just give it the same protrusion as that, but make it invisible.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

It works on the Crystal Chime. Just give it the same protrusion as that, but make it invisible.

That's what I meant, it has to have something like that.

This said, I suspect they just never thought of that. This has been a problem with projected spell weapons since DS2.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Nah, like Soul Greatsword it needs that physical bit so it can be parried because lol magic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Nah, like Soul Greatsword it needs that physical bit so it can be parried because lol magic.

The physical bit would still be there, much like on the Crystal Chime, but it would be invisible (that is, untextured). It would give the appearance of some kind of Crystal Hand, but would otherwise have the same spell origin points as the Crystal Chime.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, they probably could do that.

But that then begs the question of "why didn't they do it for the DS2 spell shields". There may be something we don't know preventing them from doing it, though I can't fathom what it would be.

EDIT: Oh, I know what it is.

If they did that, the phantom shader would show the invisible part.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh? That's pretty much exactly how it works in this game. Almost every single humanoid enemy has zero poise and can be chainstunned from full to dead as a result. The only exceptions are large humanoids like the cathedral and black knights. You mention Lothric knights but they don't have any poise whatsoever, they just use their shields annoyingly well. The ones two-handing swords have hyper armour on many attacks, but they can still be stunlocked if you attack at the right time.

I can't think of a single normal sized enemy that has poise. Even loving Havel gets staggered by anything.

Black Knights definitely get straight-up poise, I've unloaded several hits into them where they don't even flinch. And they're just standing there after their own attack, it's not a hyper armor thing, they simply just eat your hits. But whether it's poise or hyper armor, they don't follow the same rules you do even if you're using the same armor and weapon. I'm used to enemy NPCs already having far more health and stamina than you do, but giving them poise/armor that you don't get on top of that seems like a super sloppy way to make fights harder. Lothric Knight Sword doesn't get poo poo for hyper armor when you're using it, but it does when Lothric Knights use it. Exact same thing with Darkwraiths using the Dark Sword; that weapon does not get any hyper armor when you use it (not that it needs any, it's a fine weapon as-is) but Darkwraiths can just R1 spam you to death because you can't interrupt any of their attacks ever.

It's just kind of frustrating to me because it smacks of "look how awesome the Lothric Knight Spear could be" except then you use it and it's a piece of poo poo that gets zero hyper armor ever and is super weak so you get bonked out of every attack and then get hit again afterward because it's also slow.

eta: I think it's really more a general issue I have with this game that slow weapons do not get enough strengths in PvE, especially toward end-game. I've beaten this game four times now, twice with faster weapons (Broadsword, Warden Twinblade) and twice with slower weapons (Dragonslayer Greataxe, Profaned Greatsword). One thing I definitely notice by the time I reach the end game is that although all four of those weapons do respectable damage, there aren't a ton of compelling reasons to use the slower weapons since pretty much all end-game bosses attack relentlessly and don't give two shits about how big your weapon is. It's fine to play stick-and-move with a fast weapon like the Warden Twinblade, it completely shreds bosses because it's fast so you have plenty of time (and stamina) to dodge. But these same bosses will eat even the biggest swing from the biggest axe and not ever care, and then you just get hit (and staggered) in response. It's really discouraging to dodge an entire attack combo from Lorian, try to hit once with the goddamned Profaned GS, and then eat the first swing from his next combo before I can react unless my dodge/attack timing is absolutely perfect, whereas a fast weapon is so much more lenient with the timing and does just as much DPS anyway.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 25, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tallgeese posted:

Rigged: They can't do that, the way that spells are programmed makes it straight out impossible.

To explain, when you cast a spell, it's just like using an item: it plays an animation and fires a specified bullet. They would have to make a whole new set of bullets for each spell, with different properties, and then create a system to switch the bullets.

In DS2, what you describe is completely possible out of the box because it allowed the bullet-firing client to dictate bullet properties like tracking, firing amount, etc. In DS1 all it sends are damage parameters and what bullet is fired.

Yeah Obviously. Though all the projectile coding legwork has been done with The Deacons.
Reuse that bit of code and have it as a 'When cast with this chime/staff use this version of animation'. Thats the pros of OO: easy flexibility (assuming good class design)
And bam staff/chime pyromancies.
Just nerf the casting speed slightly and there you go.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 25, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Haha you can parry things like soul great sword or Farrons? Magic loving sucks in this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

"Hrm, I wanna do my totally original cosplay, but can't think of a way around the filter...I know!"

:downs:

I didn't know dark souls was on ps2

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

mortons stork posted:

Is the crystal chime's ridiculous spell buff a trap? I mean, at equivalent levels of upgrades it beats the Izalith staff. I haven't tested damages thoroughly because right now I'm enjoying murdering everything with pyromancy, but should I just stick to tried and true for sorcery? I've gotten a taste of how much magic can just clown on enemies with the right setup, I'd just like to be sure the chime is worth a slab. Also I'm not sure if it's ever worth it to eat the hp penalty from the less fp consumption ring.

No, it isn't a trap, and it works well. I messed around with it a bit, with the +Faith and +Int rings and sucking off Rosaria, it will cast more powerful sorceries and miracles both when either stat is increased. They seem to contribute equally.

However, it is especially crappy for Dark things and hexes, because of hidden math. It won't beat the Izalith staff for dark sorcery, but it will for bright sorcery. Also its weapon art is that dinky little chime HP regen, so it doesn't work as well as a talisman for standing your ground and stuffing lightning spears into faces.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

StringOfLetters posted:

No, it isn't a trap, and it works well. I messed around with it a bit, with the +Faith and +Int rings and sucking off Rosaria, it will cast more powerful sorceries and miracles both when either stat is increased. They seem to contribute equally.

However, it is especially crappy for Dark things and hexes, because of hidden math. It won't beat the Izalith staff for dark sorcery, but it will for bright sorcery. Also its weapon art is that dinky little chime HP regen, so it doesn't work as well as a talisman for standing your ground and stuffing lightning spears into faces.

I've been using it extensively as well, it's great if you're wanting to use something like lightning blade along with some other utility spells without having to switch to another catalyst. Even though i now have a couple of items that have a better spell buff, it's just so damned convenient.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched a few old dark souls 2 videos and I'm actually kind of surprised how much better the player models move compared to DS3 in terms of the animations looking like actual people swinging a sword or whatever. DS3 makes most weapons look like they're made of depleted uranium and wielded by an angry bear (e.g. just look at the loving idiotic clouds of dust that fly out when you randomly smash the end of your claymore into the ground doing a 2hr1).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RabidWeasel posted:

I watched a few old dark souls 2 videos and I'm actually kind of surprised how much better the player models move compared to DS3 in terms of the animations looking like actual people swinging a sword or whatever. DS3 makes most weapons look like they're made of depleted uranium and wielded by an angry bear (e.g. just look at the loving idiotic clouds of dust that fly out when you randomly smash the end of your claymore into the ground doing a 2hr1).

Talk about full-circle, I remember how much fuckin' whining there was because DS2 used actual mocap and it made everything look bad. B-Team indeed.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hmm yes a cloud of dust, how unrealistic.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So I've been away for a month because of exams, what have I missed? I still haven't completed the game, I beat Aldrich and that's where I left off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Frankston posted:

So I've been away for a month because of exams, what have I missed?

Bluecops in general outside of Aldrichpals are still largely broken.

Poise is "working as intended" except they haven't actually elaborated on how it works.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Bluecops in general outside of Aldrichpals are still largely broken.

Poise is "working as intended" except they haven't actually elaborated on how it works.

Any performance fixes or anything like that or do I still have to stick with my 3 year old drivers?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
All these dark souls 2 apologists are really triggering me. I love me some dark soul 2, but c'mon, it's still the stepchild of the series. DeS, DS, BB, and DS3 have much more in common with each other mechanically.

Frankston posted:

Any performance fixes or anything like that or do I still have to stick with my 3 year old drivers?

Hard to answer this question without knowing what problems you're experiencing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blacktoll posted:

Haha you can parry things like soul great sword or Farrons? Magic loving sucks in this.

Yep. Despite dealing less damage than an actual sword and requiring FP and stamina to swing, it is also parriable. Because of the staff bit at the base of the sword. This eliminates any conceivable advantage they might have over a normal sword. From didn't want mages getting uppity with their sweet energy-swords, they had to be reminded that they're strictly for show.

I'm not going to say magic sucks because at 60 int with all the requisite baubles (excluding dusk crown because it's dumb) I'm melting bosses faster than I ever have before and at range, but only half the spells are particularly useful, if that. The sword spells are hilariously useless. From just wants you using a buffed straightsword.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Superstring posted:

Hmm yes a cloud of dust, how unrealistic.

It looks dumb because it makes me think that my character is too loving stupid to realise that he can swing his sword without slamming it into the ground like a moron, and someone at From thinks that it's cool to pretend that swords are super heavy. There's already 3 weapon classes specifically designed to cater to the oversized anime weapon crowd so why can't the normal weapons have some resemblance to the real thing?

RyokoTK posted:

Talk about full-circle, I remember how much fuckin' whining there was because DS2 used actual mocap and it made everything look bad. B-Team indeed.

I never really understood those complaints, unless you like the exaggerated sense of motion you get from the original animations. I was incredibly disappointed when it became apparent that DS3 drew directly from DS1 on this front, but I had forgotten just how much of a difference it was until just now.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Hard to answer this question without knowing what problems you're experiencing.

Just general lovely performance on modern drivers (say about 10fps on lowest settings) that was fixed by reverting back to some random 3 year old drivers, which gave 30-40 fps on high settings.

Wasn't sure if it was an optimization problem on FROM's end and if they sorted or not.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So i was watching a let's play of Bloodborne, and there was mention of parrying blood vials. It seems like they brought over a number of things from Bloodborne to DS3, so has anybody checked to see if you can parry estus? On a similar note, MAYBE THIS IS THE THING THAT POISE DOES!!!!!!!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Frankston posted:

Just general lovely performance on modern drivers (say about 10fps on lowest settings) that was fixed by reverting back to some random 3 year old drivers, which gave 30-40 fps on high settings.

Wasn't sure if it was an optimization problem on FROM's end and if they sorted or not.

Then no, I don't think so. I think some people got some incremental FPS increases over the course of patches and they rolled back an update that caused freezes every few seconds.

Nvidia drivers have been updated quite a few times since the release though, so maybe try that if you've got a geforce

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Charles Get-Out posted:

All these dark souls 2 apologists are really triggering me. I love me some dark soul 2, but c'mon, it's still the stepchild of the series. DeS, DS, BB, and DS3 have much more in common with each other mechanically.

That really doesn't make DS2 any better or worse, especially since there's a ton of mechanical improvements that DS2 added to the formula that they dumped for DS3 because of B-TEAM :confused:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Frankston posted:

ha ha ha ha ha

performance fixes

that's good

Charles Get-Out posted:

DeS, DS, and DS3 have much more in common with each other mechanically.

while this is demonstrably true, it's not necessarily a good thing. honestly, if they dropped adap and the lovely weapon durability system from DS2 and brought over the infinite use REO (that scan in the background until they find a hit) into DS2, I would never play DS3 again.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RyokoTK posted:

That really doesn't make DS2 any better or worse, especially since there's a ton of mechanical improvements that DS2 added to the formula that they dumped for DS3 because of B-TEAM :confused:

It seemed more to me like simple lack of communication, like the directing staff just didn't really even bother asking DS2 about things like soul memory or powerstancing, rather just looked at BB and decided to put some of that poo poo into DS3.

Personally, I think DS3 plays a lot better than DS2 did and I don't really miss poise or powerstancing, but I realize others feel differently.

homeless poster posted:

while this is demonstrably true, it's not necessarily a good thing. honestly, if they dropped adap and the lovely weapon durability system from DS2 and brought over the infinite use REO (that scan in the background until they find a hit) into DS2, I would never play DS3 again.

Controversial opinion: DS3 is a Really Good Game with few problems (mostly technical)

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 25, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Soul memory was loving stupid and bad and the world is better for tying anti-twinking to gear upgrades, but powerstancing was super cool and it offered a ton of additional movesets and flexibility, and DS3 took a massive step back in that regard for seemingly no good reason.

e: And not just powerstancing but DS2's dual wielding system in general was much much better.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 25, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RyokoTK posted:

Soul memory was loving stupid and bad and the world is better for tying anti-twinking to gear upgrades, but powerstancing was super cool and it offered a ton of additional movesets and flexibility, and DS3 took a massive step back in that regard for seemingly no good reason.

I absolutely think DS3 directing staff looked at trick weapons and built the few dual-wielding weapons in DS3 on that and might not have even had an idea that DS2 had a very freeform dual-wielding system.

No real argument with your edit either

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still kind of bummed we didn't just flat out get a Saw Cleaver or Threaded Cane in DkS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If the twin-weapons in DS3 were even a fraction as cool as Bloodborne trick weapons I would never use anything else, but the only thing you get out of twin weapons in DS3 is one attack rather than an entirely different moveset like in BB.