Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If you want tracked vehicles that support infantry by blowing up other infantry, that's self-propelled artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If you want tracked vehicles that support infantry by blowing up other infantry, that's self-propelled artillery.

Except that self-propelled artillery had very poor armor, while assault guns are heavily armored.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hoi 4 is a very moddable game. You can easily add assault guns.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

ArchangeI posted:

Except that self-propelled artillery had very poor armor, while assault guns are heavily armored.

So an SPG variant with added armor.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hoi 4 is a very moddable game. You can easily add assault guns.

Or just put armor points on self propelled artillery

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You're adorable little cannons on wheels will be useless in the face of Maxter Gundam punching Berlin to death.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

That shouldn't be a problem if you can increase its armor with combat experience.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

So an SPG variant with added armor.

+50% armor from 1 base armor is not quite as much as +50% armor from 10 base armor. Proper assault guns would have tank-like base armor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Personally, I hope that the Submarines for the US Navy accurately model the flavors of ice cream the on-board ice cream machines can prepare, as well as their notorious habit of breaking down and leaking. I mean, why even bother making a game if it isn't going to have flawless historical detail?

Paradox is the real Hitler here.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

On an unrelated note: I really hope that they add in something where you can turn certain theaters over to the AI, with a set of goals. I do not want to micro the pacific

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Zaodai posted:

Personally, I hope that the Submarines for the US Navy accurately model the flavors of ice cream the on-board ice cream machines can prepare, as well as their notorious habit of breaking down and leaking. I mean, why even bother making a game if it isn't going to have flawless historical detail?

the US gets a national spirit "BuOrd" that prevents all torpedoes from working for 3 years.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

On an unrelated note: I really hope that they add in something where you can turn certain theaters over to the AI, with a set of goals. I do not want to micro the pacific

read the dev diaries doofus

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Game does not have a bazillion exponential gun types and specific tank ammo. Pre-order cancelled.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just so you guys know you can make multiple variants and have them all in service.

poo poo you could theoretically have some of every vehicle in the game in active service at the same time with the really cool looking production system

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, there should be some way to plan your battles. Something like...a battleplaner. Maybe something for a DLC.

Phi230 posted:

Just so you guys know you can make multiple variants and have them all in service.

poo poo you could theoretically have some of every vehicle in the game in active service at the same time with the really cool looking production system

Looking forward to the system breaking down if you have two TD variants in production at the same time and assigning Great War tanks as the highest priority replacements instead.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

read the dev diaries doofus

No

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

If I zoom into the map enough will it load a CoH match for me?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Zaodai posted:

Unless you live in Germany, then they are only Hitler's shadow.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hammerstein posted:

Unless you live in Germany, then they are only Hitler's shadow.

Shadow Hitler: the new horror movie from M. Night Shyamalan.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

If people are flipping their poo poo that Paradox removed some racist mod I can't imagine the fuckfest thats going to occur once HoI 4 mods hit the workshop.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
apparently

and i say apparently with the flattest tone ever conceived by man

but apparently they took it down because it lead to a dude's nazi channel except the channel wasn't pro-nazi at all it just kinda looked that way from the titles and people got all frowny because of that

apparently

the mod itself is bad tho

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

If people are flipping their poo poo that Paradox removed some racist mod I can't imagine the fuckfest thats going to occur once HoI 4 mods hit the workshop.

quote:

What do you mean my mod letting players comit genocide is getting taken down? This is a history game, right?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

apparently

and i say apparently with the flattest tone ever conceived by man

but apparently they took it down because it lead to a dude's nazi channel except the channel wasn't pro-nazi at all it just kinda looked that way from the titles and people got all frowny because of that

apparently

the mod itself is bad tho

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=br

It was to this vid, about how liberalism will fade away but the Aryan race is eternal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gc1qF-25O0

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Something less expensive than a tank with tank armour and a tank gun is pretty obviously distinct from either expensive thinly armoured indirect fire weapon systems, or dedicated tank destroyers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When will Paradox do a dev diary on the COBRA Unit mechanics and how the Boss being pregnant at D-Day only made the Nazis die faster.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Something less expensive than a tank with tank armour and a tank gun is pretty obviously distinct from either expensive thinly armoured indirect fire weapon systems, or dedicated tank destroyers.

Seems to me the addition of assault guns wouldn't really fill a niche so they're better off split between TDs and SPART

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If it has tank armor and a tank gun, why is it less expensive and not a tank? Is it all wrapped around a covered wagon?

[EDIT] Oh, it's an Esquilax. The horse born with the head of a rabbit, and the body... of a rabbit!

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 26, 2016

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
This thread has made me glad this isn't a grognard game, just a paradox game. I'd rather have a game set during WW2 than a simulation of WW2.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd rather a game set during the second weltkrieg, but the political focuses of the majors will be good enough for now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zaodai posted:

If it has tank armor and a tank gun, why is it less expensive and not a tank? Is it all wrapped around a covered wagon?

[EDIT] Oh, it's an Esquilax. The horse born with the head of a rabbit, and the body... of a rabbit!

Historically, the custom-built fully armoured assault guns usually mounted the gun or howitzer in a fully enclosed casemate on a tank chassis. The use of a casemate instead of a turret limited these weapons' field of fire, but allowed a larger gun to be fitted relative to the chassis, more armour to be fitted for the same weight, and provided a cheaper construction.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PleasingFungus posted:

Historically, the custom-built fully armoured assault guns usually mounted the gun or howitzer in a fully enclosed casemate on a tank chassis. The use of a casemate instead of a turret limited these weapons' field of fire, but allowed a larger gun to be fitted relative to the chassis, more armour to be fitted for the same weight, and provided a cheaper construction.

I appreciate the serious answer, I was mostly just being an rear end about it.

It's just weird to read both this thread and the wargame thread. In the wargame thread they joke about the grogs on various official forums for the "real" grog games because they're pedantic autistic lunatics, and then in here there's the same kind of bitching because HoI4 too casual or not realistic enough. The variant system seems to let people make an approximation of what they want, even if they don't get hyper-realistic OOBs and little decorative nameplates for which of the 34 real life variants of whatever tank it was.

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, and it goes good with soy sauce, it's probably close enough to a duck you can tweak a variant to your liking for dinner.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd rather a game set during the second weltkrieg, but the political focuses of the majors will be good enough for now.

Speaking of that, what's the word on Kaiserreich for hoi4? Is it going to be developed?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

sudo rm -rf posted:

Speaking of that, what's the word on Kaiserreich for hoi4? Is it going to be developed?

I think it will be. There was a general enthusiasm for most of the systems involved in HoI4 allowing more alt-history scenarios, which could play well into Kaiserreich with National Focus trees for the majors.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

Seems to me the addition of assault guns wouldn't really fill a niche so they're better off split between TDs and SPART

You don't think a high armor, high soft attack vehicle would fill a different niche from a high armor, high hard attack vehicle and a low armor, high soft attack vehicle?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

You don't think a high armor, high soft attack vehicle would fill a different niche from a high armor, high hard attack vehicle and a low armor, high soft attack vehicle?

Look at the niche it is filling

SPART: when you're facing mostly infantry

TD: when you're facing tanks

Tanks: when you're facing a mix

What would assault guns be for?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Enjoy posted:

Assault guns would be cheaper than tanks, would have a huge bonus defensively against tanks but a malus offensively against tanks while at the same time hardening an infantry division against other infantry divisions.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Assault guns would be cheaper than tanks, would have a huge bonus defensively against tanks but a malus offensively against tanks while at the same time hardening an infantry division against other infantry divisions.

I don't think there have been any announcements about units having different abilities against different enemy types, has there? There'd be no way of making them worse against tanks offensively, only worse offensively in general

Without that element, you are just left with "like tanks but cheaper", which isn't such a big niche really

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

For facing infantry with good At weapons, which would destroy SPART in short order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Enjoy posted:

I don't think there have been any announcements about units having different abilities against different enemy types, has there? There'd be no way of making them worse against tanks offensively, only worse offensively in general

Without that element, you are just left with "like tanks but cheaper", which isn't such a big niche really

There's two different types of damage, soft damage for anti-infantry, and unarmoured vehicles and hard damage for armoured targets.