Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm just excited we've found something new to argue about.

EDIT: great, new page. To contribute:

-I use the 12-hour clock format because I'm a giant baby
-I've never had trouble switching between am/pm when setting an alarm, because I don't have big, fat fingers
-Google should stop making new messaging apps every year

XIII fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What issues are you having with Textra?

Sometimes it fails to deliver pictures via MMS. I have it set to Cricket's APN settings, so I don't know what the issue is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zorilla posted:

Google is pretty terrible at UI design,

FWIW, Google's modern design is widely regarded amongst design professionals as industry-leading.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

XIII posted:

-I use the 12-hour clock format because I'm a giant baby
-I've never had trouble switching between am/pm when setting an alarm, because I don't have big, fat fingers
-Google should stop making new messaging apps every year

You're 100% correct with all three. But now the ultimate test: how do you feel about SD cards?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My biggest issue with Android Pay is lack of NFC support.

The only places I've been able to use it is Best Buy and Trader Joe's. The places where I make the most in store purchases, my local grocery store and Target, do not have NFC support.

I tried to use it for a purchase at Macy's recently, but it just wouldn't work. The sales person told me that if she could rip out all of the terminals and throw them in the river, she would. She said they hardly ever worked.

It also acts screwy it you have a trusted device. Since you hardly ever have to enter a passcode to get into your phone, Android Pay silently fails if you haven't unlocked with a passcode recently. If I want it to reliably work, I have to wake my phone, lock it with the lock icon, and then unlock with a passcode. The app should just recognize that you haven't unlocked with a passcode recently and ask you for it in the app rather than just failing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 25, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is there a list of deals or perks for using android pay because so far it seems like it's a huge pain in the rear end with little to no benefit compared to using a card.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Are band cards with contactless (NFC) payments a thing in the US yet, or not? I'm guessing not since you're only just starting to get chip and PIN.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It would be worth it to me if acceptance was higher because I could lower the number of cards I carry. I could drop down to just carrying my debit card and one credit card.

Also, I would love to be able to use it with gas pumps since they are the thing most likely to have skimmers, but I don't see that being added any time soon.

chippy posted:

Are band cards with contactless (NFC) payments a thing in the US yet, or not? I'm guessing not since you're only just starting to get chip and PIN.

My Amex card has been able to do tap and pay forever. The issue is with the POS terminals lacking support. I got plenty of ways to pay without swiping or inserting my card, but the chances of the retailer being able to support those is like 20%.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 25, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

Is there a list of deals or perks for using android pay because so far it seems like it's a huge pain in the rear end with little to no benefit compared to using a card.
It's vastly more secure than magstrip, and at least somewhat moreso than chip and sig/PIN.

chippy posted:

Barely. We're likely to skip right over it since NFC phone payments kind of remove the need for cards to have NFC in them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chippy posted:

I'm guessing not since you're only just starting to get chip and PIN.

No, we're just getting chip and signature, which is vastly inferior to chip and PIN!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chip and signature is barely happening too unless you are a huge retailer. There's a huge backlog of system certifications and many places haven't been able to roll out chip equipment or software.

Gee, the credit card companies are ones controlling the certification pace and they are the ones that benefit in the cases of fraud if chip isn't implemented at a retailer. Convenient.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, pretty much nothing outside of the military uses it.

Aviation, marine travel, etc.

Come work for the :canada: gov't, where you get pretty good at converting imperial to metric, 12hr to 24hr, GMT to local, and English to French! :suicide:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Get new 6P. Do the whole transfer apps and settings from previous phone thing.

It says its transferring app x of x. I put phone down for half an hour, come back...and the transferring notification is gone, and there's no new apps installed. :/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It likely decided it needed a new version of play services to install apps, so a ton probably aborted. Then the play store itself decided to update while it was installing stuff, killing a bunch more pending items.

Recovering a phone to a known state is still an utter shitshow. If it works 100% right for you, start playing the lottery because you are blessed by some deity.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Worked fine for me yesterday. It took a couple hours though for about 100 apps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I switch phones pretty regularly and I've never had the swap/migrate part work perfectly. It's annoying and inconsistent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe the problem is you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe the problem is you.

That's what my mom said :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

TenaciousTomato posted:

Sometimes it fails to deliver pictures via MMS. I have it set to Cricket's APN settings, so I don't know what the issue is.

Cricket just has MMS issues and always has. I can't use messenger for that reason. Textra NORMALLY works, but I use WhatsApp just for pictures/video

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Credit card terminals with chip readers seem to take forever and a day to process a charge, and also lots of terminals with chip readers now also take NFC at least as far as I've encountered. So if I can use my phone then I will.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Once your lovely terminals get as fast as the rest of the world you'll like chip and pin

It is really good, promise

Then proper contactless will blow your mind

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say that the chip readers don't have to take as long as they do.

A local restaurant has a brand new POS with a chip reader and they only have to insert it for like a second for it to register.

The biggest issue is with the way they are setup in a lot of places. Most places require the sale to be complete before you remove the card (and some before you even insert it) whereas you could just swipe any time with the strip and have your card out and away by the time the sale completes. It's only like 20 extra seconds a transaction, but that adds up if there is a line.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, it seems like there's less time between putting the card in and the sale completing but since you can just put the card back in your wallet while it's processing if you swipe it, it seems longer since you're sitting there watching it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're back to credit card chat huh

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

withoutclass posted:

Worked fine for me yesterday. It took a couple hours though for about 100 apps.

Same. Went from Nexus 4 -> 6p and got all my apps. I didn't even know that was a thing it could do actually, it just kinda happened.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

chippy posted:

I had one about 8 years ago but haven't been able to get one since.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I haven't seen one chip and pin reader that didn't take an unreasonable amount of time

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

What's the consensus on adoptable storage in 6.0? I decided to throw a 64GB Samsung Evo card in my Moto X Pure. All my photos and music are backed up in the cloud, but I really wanted to download a bunch of my Amazon movies to the phone. So far everything seems to be working as advertised, but it's only been a day. Anyone have long term success?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Uthor posted:

Can OK Google do "set alarm for an hour and a half from now"? Every time I try, it fucks up royally. (saying "90 minutes from now" does the job)

That exact phrase worked for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're back to credit card chat huh

There's the alternative of "guys I totally didn't sit on my phone or anything, the screen cracked/frame bent all on its own" or "Google is the George RR Martin of neat stuff, first they killed iGoogle, then Wave, then Buzz, and here we sit with Google+ which somehow escapes death over and over and over despite doing fuckall" or the crowd favorite "I'm a snowflake who's on the road a lot and I need a flagship-spec Nexus with a 4-inch screen, replaceable 7500mAh battery, two SD card slots, and it needs to not bulge in my jorts while I'm listening to locally stored lossless anime music on my sennheisers"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mister Fister posted:

I haven't seen one chip and pin reader that didn't take an unreasonable amount of time

When I went to Iceland, they were absurdly fast and didn't ask a million questions in moon language, just for pin basically. Over here I get wait, "do you want cash back?", Wait, "$34.75 please enter pin", wait, "is $34.75 OK?", Wait, "approved", ridiculously annoying/loud noise as soon as you can remove your card.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Fister posted:

I don't know how America managed to gently caress this up because you'd think it'd be an international standard due to companies like Visa/Mastercard. In Europe they are fast and excellent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Powers posted:

When I went to Iceland, they were absurdly fast and didn't ask a million questions in moon language, just for pin basically. Over here I get wait, "do you want cash back?", Wait, "$34.75 please enter pin", wait, "is $34.75 OK?", Wait, "approved", ridiculously annoying/loud noise as soon as you can remove your card.

I was at a place that had that "YOU hosed UP, THE COPS ARE BEING CALLED" buzzer to announce when my card was ready to go. Scared the hell out of me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

I don't know how America managed to gently caress this up because you'd think it'd be an international standard due to companies like Visa/Mastercard. In Europe they are fast and excellent.

Yeah. Wave card. If it's more than your set wave limit (default $100), enter pin. All works fine and instant in Australia.

Then again, Australia had had universal bank card payments in even tiny merchants and vending machines with swipe-and-pin directly debiting your bank account since the 80s. Thank you, only having four major banks to coordinate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Powers posted:

That exact phrase worked for me.

Oh snap! I wonder if Google got smarter or if it was my old Moto X that was the problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

I was at a place that had that "YOU hosed UP, THE COPS ARE BEING CALLED" buzzer to announce when my card was ready to go. Scared the hell out of me.
Probably to remind the dumb americans to take the card with them.

Which wouldn't be an issue if the card could be removed less than 5 minutes after inserting it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Turns out the transfer thing was working on my 6P. I finally got around to opening the Play Store and it was doing it's thing...there just wasn't any notifications for downloading/installing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ilkhan posted:

Probably to remind the dumb americans to take the card with them.

Which wouldn't be an issue if the card could be removed less than 5 minutes after inserting it.

It would be great if it gave you a 1-2 second grace period after the screen tells you to take your card before the buzzer goes off.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Wave card. If it's more than your set wave limit (default $100), enter pin. All works fine and instant in Australia.

Then again, Australia had had universal bank card payments in even tiny merchants and vending machines with swipe-and-pin directly debiting your bank account since the 80s. Thank you, only having four major banks to coordinate.

Pretty well the same in Canada I believe, though without the Wave card. After setting up payment processing systems for mostly US customers I'm amazed at all the little weird lovely banks they have, and they're >all< credit card issuers. It feels like it's easier to start a bank there than a religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ok, I get it. Credit cards and poo poo.

Let's talk about the exciting world of Android!