Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
lol the "extra" show is going to be better than real top gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

davebo posted:

Well, at least it'll hopefully gets Harris' name and personality more views so he can step in when Evans implodes and the show is short one Chris?

And then they'll replace Harris on Extra Gear with Hardwick and rename it Talking Gear.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Harris is most famous for his YouTube stuff, right? Maybe this is Evans and/or the BBC trying to prove that Traditional Media is still dominant. Maybe they will bring Matt Farah in to be a doorman and have Mr Regular park the cars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

None of you remembers the video of Chris Harris saying him joining Top Gear was a terrible idea (impossible shoes to fill, the original 3 had chemistry, blah blah blah)? Then he joined Top Gear.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fyodor posted:

None of you remembers the video of Chris Harris saying him joining Top Gear was a terrible idea (impossible shoes to fill, the original 3 had chemistry, blah blah blah)? Then he joined Top Gear.

Was probably before the BBC cut him a fat check.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want to see Chris Harris and Sabine Schmidt drive cool things in a cool way while Matt LeBlanc talks about how cool they are. It's the optimal use of resources.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That would be the best way for Top Gear. From what I've seen, so far I like Leblanc, and Sabine has always been fun on Top Gear. Add Harris to the mix, and I think it'd be well worth watching if they don't the Fifth Gear route.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

projecthalaxy posted:

I just want to see Chris Harris and Sabine Schmidt drive cool things in a cool way while Matt LeBlanc talks about how cool they are. It's the optimal use of resources.

Yup. Hooning duties for Harris and Schmidt, silly car journey poo poo for the others.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd be happy if Harris just did the web stuff because it would kind of insulate him if the show proper ends up being a poo poo show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-off-to-great-start-with-host-yelling-at-random-1778311521

Big news out of the Top Gear tapings, even more evidence that they definitely for sure picked the right Chris to be the anchor and the right Chris to exile to the Internet. Chris Evans is out here screaming at the fans and abusing them emotionally:

Chris Evans posted:

The host, 50, snapped during recording of segments for the revamped show: “Don’t fold your arms, don’t wear black. Take it off – take everything off.

“Don’t fold your arms, don’t have your hands in your pockets. F***, f***, f***, f***, f***.”

“Don’t be quiet. Talk among yourselves. Jesus Christ! Can you all hear me?”

The weird foreigner who stole Captain America's name is ordering people to strip, and Chris Harris is hosting a chat show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A guy who was at the taping said that is being blown out of proportion. The media is doing everything they can to kill this show before it even starts.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They should just restrict Evans to the star in a reasonably priced car segment and let the others do the rest of the show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow that's a terrible decision.

Beyond most of the casting (minus Chris Evans) the whole show seems to be a terrible decision.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f07eDEr-nHE

Watch how much more funny and human Mika Hakkinen seems compared to Evans. He already appears on a ton of BBC stuff and i'm sure wouldnt mind the paycheck. Someone at BBC casting really dropped the ball, presumably due to lack of sleep during endless disability, nationalism and inclusiveness lectures in preparation for picking the presenters.

A new show of course requires a new blood sacrifice to TV Satan. Jason dawe was so fat it got the old crew 12 years+ of success. Pick whichever new presenter is the fattest, burn them at the stake and hire Mika for season 2.

edit: as the anynomous stig who talks onscreen in a suspiciously finnish accent after "getting his voice-modulator unit installed"

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 24, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In other British automotive television news, Fifth Gear has apparently not been renewed.

https://twitter.com/tiff_tv/status/734402035659984896

https://twitter.com/tiff_tv/status/734407972089155589

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Things I enjoy about Top Gear: US. Constant exhortations to Adam not to die.

e: so Equus is the American Zonda?

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 25, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f07eDEr-nHE

Watch how much more funny and human Mika Hakkinen seems compared to Evans. He already appears on a ton of BBC stuff and i'm sure wouldnt mind the paycheck. Someone at BBC casting really dropped the ball, presumably due to lack of sleep during endless disability, nationalism and inclusiveness lectures in preparation for picking the presenters.

A new show of course requires a new blood sacrifice to TV Satan. Jason dawe was so fat it got the old crew 12 years+ of success. Pick whichever new presenter is the fattest, burn them at the stake and hire Mika for season 2.

edit: as the anynomous stig who talks onscreen in a suspiciously finnish accent after "getting his voice-modulator unit installed"

Godamn, I just... I just can't stand Chris Evans.

I would totally watch the show with Mika, Matt, Chris Harris, and Sabine.

TGUK with 3/4 foreign hosts would give the BBC a heart attack though

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

wolrah posted:

In other British automotive television news, Fifth Gear has apparently not been renewed.

https://twitter.com/tiff_tv/status/734402035659984896

https://twitter.com/tiff_tv/status/734407972089155589

Evans out, Tiff in plz BBC. Make paying the loving TV license fee actually worth it, ta.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Chris Evans is a serial sex offender with an insufferable human garbage personality and a face made for radio telegraph, but at least he's not a pedo, so sure why not. :haw:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Chris Evans is a serial sex offender with an insufferable human garbage personality and a face made for radio telegraph, but at least he's not a pedo, so sure why not. :haw:

Was he not dating Billie Piper when she was 16~ and him 40 something? If anything he's borderline at best.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How did the BBC seem to pick the most garbage possible host for the new Top Gear? They obviously had better options, but they're like, "No, we really want the guy who no one likes!"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

sean10mm posted:

He really does feel like Clarkson, if Clarkson had zero self-awareness and no capacity for humour. Evans isn't even funny in the 'haha, what an idiot' way; he's just a comedic black hole.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So what's the deal with the fifth host, this Rory Reid? From his Wikipedia page he seems to mostly do tech/gadget stuff? Does anyone know if he's bad or good

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Plucky Brit posted:

He really does feel like Clarkson, if Clarkson had zero self-awareness and no capacity for humour. Evans isn't even funny in the 'haha, what an idiot' way; he's just a comedic black hole.

If I was into conspiracy theories, I would be wondering if BBC was setting up the new program to fail in such a way that they can deny responsibility, and get rid of a program that has been causing them headaches.

Poor decision making is more likely though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jonny Nox posted:

If I was into conspiracy theories, I would be wondering if BBC was setting up the new program to fail in such a way that they can deny responsibility, and get rid of a program that has been causing them headaches.

Poor decision making is more likely though.

I would have thought it was trying to get away from the headaches that Clarkson brings, so they went for "safe" options and hosed up.

So your second theory.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

So what's the deal with the fifth host, this Rory Reid? From his Wikipedia page he seems to mostly do tech/gadget stuff? Does anyone know if he's bad or good

He's fine, a bit wet but fine. This'll probably perk him up a bit as 'testing' endlessly lovely gadgets couldn't have been fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

projecthalaxy posted:

Jalopnik did a decent piece on his history in automotive journalism: http://jalopnik.com/who-is-top-gears-new-host-rory-reid-1758456803

He's at least on par with the big Youtube names IMO.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

howe_sam posted:

Things I enjoy about Top Gear: US. Constant exhortations to Adam not to die.

e: so Equus is the American Zonda?

That episode was fun, I'm glad the cheating (which is fun) didn't have the same result as the last few times though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like how in this week's episode of TGUS, like sometimes happens, they were all very friendly and complimented each other's cars and such instead of sniping at each other pointlessly. It's nice when the tv people can be friends :)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

projecthalaxy posted:

I like how in this week's episode of TGUS, like sometimes happens, they were all very friendly and complimented each other's cars and such instead of sniping at each other pointlessly. It's nice when the tv people can be friends :)

It also built up just how scary it is driving at beyond highway speeds on a bunch of dead fish while blindfolded.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It would be cool if TGUK was just Matt and Sabine and Harris and Rory having cool adventures and fun hijinx on Her Majesty's dime while Evans leaps around them, waving his arms, desperately begging anyone to notice or acknowledge him.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is it possible to get "definitive" versions of all of the top gear seasons, legally, in the US? Digital is fine, but from what I understand none of them have the original music.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No, there is no legal way to get the original episodes with the original music in the US.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The BBC put out DVDs right? I wonder if you could import UK versions and if they have the original music. Might need a region free player to view them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think even the UK DVDs don't have the original music because the BBC only has the rights for broadcast

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Good interview with Matt about new TG

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/matt-leblanc-top-gear.html

quote:

When you, Chris [Evans], and the rest of the cast and producers finally came together, how did you all choose to approach this reboot? What were the fundamental tenets of the old Gear that you wanted to keep, and what did you end up leaving on the cutting-room floor?
Well, you know that old saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?” There wasn’t that much to fix. We decided that what would be different, without giving too much away, was that we’re going to have two celebrities per episode to create a competition element. It was done in the past, and it was always a fun aspect to watch. We’re changing the track a bit to make it a little more exciting and dramatic and more fun to drive. I’m actually going to test it out again later this week, do a couple of laps on the track. The general consensus of what to definitely keep on the show were the films. We’re doing more films and bigger films with more scope in them. We have more presenters, so it has a bigger feel in general.

For instance, we have Eddie Jordan, who has a huge Formula 1 background. When Eddie talks about a car’s performance, that guy knows what he’s talking about. Chris Harris has his own YouTube channel, “Chris Harris on Cars,” where he tests all types of exotic cars all over the world. He’s a great driver. Sabine Schmitz — she’s from Germany and drove this vehicle called the Ring Taxi, and she’s the first woman to ever win an endurance race. She can drive the hell out of a car. And then we have Rory Reid. People submitted tapes and he won an internet submission contest. He’s going to be joining us doing something called Extra Gear. It’ll be online content and aired after Top Gear airs, behind-the-scenes stuff to give you a little more. Previously they had a news segment, and that will be in the Extra Gear section. For the most part we’ll still be in the studio, we’ll still be doing interviews, the sets are the same, we’re sitting in the same chairs. It’ll feel like a new coat of paint on the same show, hopefully.

I’m glad you’re expanding the films. I’ve always found that part of the show to be the most enjoyable and informative.

That’s the part that feels so much more than just the cars. That’s the travel aspect of the show, that’s the “exploring different cultures” aspect. We want people to ask themselves, “What road are they driving on? Where is that? We’re going on vacation there next year, maybe we can stay an extra day and drive on that road.” That element of the show enables you to travel the world from your couch at home. For me, personally, for my involvement, I like the making of the films more than the studio portion.

Why is that?
The studio portion, that’s not really my thing, that’s not what I do. I’ll be involved there and present, of course, but I won’t be doing the interviews. Chris will be doing the interviewing. I’m an actor, that’s what I do. For me, I want to be in a car in a faraway place driving down an epic road, taking in a view in a dream car, and having an experience and letting people live vicariously through my experience. That’s the part I love the most. One other thing about what my involvement brings — I think my name is sort of associated with comedy. So I tried to bring more comedy to the show, which I think will help broaden the audience. If someone’s sitting in a car and talking about how the power feels like this, the brakes feel like this, the suspension feels like this, if you can do that in a funny way, that’s more interesting. We all worked hard on injecting more comedy into the show as a whole. I think that alone will help the show be successful. I like comedy, I like to laugh. I’m not drawn to drama. I’m always looking for what’s funnier. Comedy and cars is an interesting mix.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They're changing the track? What blasphemy is this?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I like how he says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" then outlines how every aspect of the show is different.

The news for example. It's like they don't realize that segment isn't actually about the news, but about the guys reporting the news making jokes and playing off each other. Now it's just going to be straight news reported by that Rory fellow online?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GutBomb posted:

I like how he says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" then outlines how every aspect of the show is different.

The news for example. It's like they don't realize that segment isn't actually about the news, but about the guys reporting the news making jokes and paying off each other. Now it's just going to be straight news reported by that Rory fellow online?

I thought they got a regular salary from the BBC? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

*playing