Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My co-worker came into today and I asked him how he liked the last episode. Hated it, "the whole episode was in just one room". How do I get him fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Clearly he needs to go see Doctors Jeckyll and Frankenstein for an adjustment...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did she get a lobotomy? I honestly can't remember that episode. Was it season 1?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did she get a lobotomy? I honestly can't remember that episode. Was it season 1?

No, she was just trephined. Had she been lobotomized we wouldn't have a show.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

She got trepanned. I think the orderly said that sometimes people at that "clinic" got lobotomized though.

And yes, the episode where it all went down was in S1, "Closer Than Sisters". Which was a great ep, partially because of Eva Green being the usual awesome and partially because it was structured as an epistolary flashback, which is Victorian as all hell.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Eva Green is just so good in this. I love it when Vanessa is just freaking out demons and suchlike. She's got Dracula and Lucifer both cowering in the corner. There's this great sort of thing where that's really cool to see but there's also a part of me being all :ohdear: about it too. Like when Ethan's wolfing someone to death I suppose.

Rory Kinnear was great too. I like that he just quadrupled his amount of characters this episode. It was nice to see him being something other than Mr. Glum. Don't get me wrong, he's very good at that, but a change was nice.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

McDragon posted:

Eva Green is just so good in this. I love it when Vanessa is just freaking out demons and suchlike. She's got Dracula and Lucifer both cowering in the corner. There's this great sort of thing where that's really cool to see but there's also a part of me being all :ohdear: about it too. Like when Ethan's wolfing someone to death I suppose.

Rory Kinnear was great too. I like that he just quadrupled his amount of characters this episode. It was nice to see him being something other than Mr. Glum. Don't get me wrong, he's very good at that, but a change was nice.

Frankenstein's monster would be an intolerably bad character in the hands of anyone except Rory Kinnear. For all the moping and hair flipping and poetry, he handles it with nuance and depth that makes the character sympathetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This episode almost felt like a play since it all took place in one room and was totally character driven. My roommate, that has never watched the show before, was 100% transfixed on it and is now plowing through the series to catch up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The man who the creature was was just such a nice and sweet man, it's so sad.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Wasnt the orderly supposed to be pre-death frankenstien?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gaj posted:

Wasnt the orderly supposed to be pre-death frankenstien?

Yes.

My guess is: the orderly quits his position at the asylum. As a result, he loses the ability to afford the 'cushy' flat above the Chinese restaurant. He and his family then move to that tenement house near the factory he saw men walking from, after getting a job there. It's *there* where he has a fatal workplace accident, and someone sells his body to Victor (as dealing in cadavers for rich doctors/medical schools was a rather lucrative thing back then).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_snatching#United_Kingdom

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2016

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Couldn't Victor just have stolen a body from work?

Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

Some really great shots in the episode. I love the one where Vanessa has the bit reinserted in her mouth, and the camera lingers. It's pretty good to be able to convey emotion when your face is physically restrained.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
This is arguably the best TV show on right now. It's pure art in every sense. Because of my tinnitus I tend to watch things with headphones on and holy poo poo the music is profoundly good. Is it available anywhere?

Eva Green deserves all the Emmys. Please don't tell me this is the last season.

Also if you are freaked out by old school mental health poo poo read up on it. What they did to people is both tragic and horrific.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Captain Log posted:

This is arguably the best TV show on right now. It's pure art in every sense. Because of my tinnitus I tend to watch things with headphones on and holy poo poo the music is profoundly good. Is it available anywhere?

Eva Green deserves all the Emmys. Please don't tell me this is the last season.

Also if you are freaked out by old school mental health poo poo read up on it. What they did to people is both tragic and horrific.

And they were still doing a lot of that stuff up until the 1950s (some of it even as far as the 1970s). I wonder how barbaric taking medication will seem to people in the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mouse Dresser posted:

And they were still doing a lot of that stuff up until the 1950s (some of it even as far as the 1970s). I wonder how barbaric taking medication will seem to people in the future.

"Why did almost every new medication come with so many 'it might make you kill yourself' warnings?"

"Well, you see, Timmy...that was back before the Great Pharmaceutical Purge of 2028, when the first *real* penis enlargement pills were rushed to market and ended up causing penile necrosis in a large group of initial users...which led to the 'Slaughter by the Dickless.' After that, new medications were made far more carefully."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 28, 2016

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

Hopefully they will look back and realize how dumb a lot of people were when it comes to holistic remedies and vaccinations. I mean, the worst case scenario is that there isn't a future and humanity loses in the antibiotic/bacteria arms race.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grinning Goblin posted:

Hopefully they will look back and realize how dumb a lot of people were when it comes to holistic remedies and vaccinations. I mean, the worst case scenario is that there isn't a future and humanity loses in the antibiotic/bacteria arms race.

China and India are ensuring we'll lose by being gigantic poo poo cauldron petri dishes filled with gigantic populations who will never be convinced to 'go clean,' even if given the means with which to do so. Africa might birth things like Ebola, but it'll be China and India that incubate the world-ending plague, most likely.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

China and India are ensuring we'll lose by being gigantic poo poo cauldron petri dishes filled with gigantic populations who will never be convinced to 'go clean,' even if given the means with which to do so. Africa might birth things like Ebola, but it'll be China and India that incubate the world-ending plague, most likely.

I mean, that or good ol' American agriculture, routinely giving every antibiotic on the market in feed.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

The man who the creature was was just such a nice and sweet man, it's so sad.

NIce? His disturbing description of the surgery and its effects gave me nightmares! I watched the show late at night and when I woke up the next morning it was the first thing on my mind. :wth:
Dracula Vs. Trepanation: which is the greater horror.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I mean, that or good ol' American agriculture, routinely giving every antibiotic on the market in feed.
Or,

quote:

An open letter signed by 150 international doctors, scientists and researchers Friday called for the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro to be moved or delayed due to the Zika virus.
To press on with the Games in Rio, the second most affected city in Brazil by the Zika crisis, would be "irresponsible" and "unethical," the letter argued.
"Our greater concern is for global health. The Brazilian strain of Zika virus harms health in ways that science has not observed before," said the letter, signed by experts in the United States, Britain, Canada, Norway, the Philippines, Japan, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey, and Lebanon, among others.
"An unnecessary risk is posed when 500,000 foreign tourists from all countries attend the Games, potentially acquire that strain, and return home to places where it can become endemic," it said.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 29, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So I'm a little confused by the evil entities at work in this show. Obviously Lucifer was the one who was haunting Vanessa's dreams and giving her visions, etc., and the witches last season definitely seemed to be in his employ. But in the first season, it was Dracula who took Mina, right? Everything about that seemed way more in line with his MO than Lucifer's. The thing that throws me is that there seems to be a general sense that Dracula is a "new" presence on the show, but if I'm right then he was an active antagonist before Lucifer.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The characters thought the egyptian vampire was "the master", they kill him and all his minions immediately die. But then Mina was still alive so it implies that the egyptian vampire wasn't her master. So we just assumed the master was Lucifer but then in season 2 Lyle reveals that there are 2 brothers so...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

So I'm a little confused by the evil entities at work in this show. Obviously Lucifer was the one who was haunting Vanessa's dreams and giving her visions, etc., and the witches last season definitely seemed to be in his employ. But in the first season, it was Dracula who took Mina, right? Everything about that seemed way more in line with his MO than Lucifer's. The thing that throws me is that there seems to be a general sense that Dracula is a "new" presence on the show, but if I'm right then he was an active antagonist before Lucifer.

Not sure but I think Lucifer and Dracula are 'brothers'. Lucifer is the soul or spirit based evil entity (and can take over people to communicate), and Dracula the animal who resides on Earth, on our physical plane of existence.

I agree that Eva Green should get all the Emmys but even though the Luci/Drac relationship is murky, John Logan's writing on this show is fantastic.

Also, I'm grateful that Billy Piper has dropped the accent, she's much better without it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Tonight's a Western episode, and thus far it seems like Hecate is back up to her old tricks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey, the Western storyline finally got interesting. Only took them four episodes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was wondering if they'd be able to get a suitable heavy to play Ethan's father, and I'll be damned if Brian Cox wasn't the perfect choice.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ShakeZula posted:

I was wondering if they'd be able to get a suitable heavy to play Ethan's father, and I'll be damned if Brian Cox wasn't the perfect choice.

Yeah I don't follow casting news so what a pleasant surprise. I like Josh Hartnett but I'm glad they realized he can't carry an ep, so they surrounded his episode with some solid supporting cast. It was about him but he had to do like 10% of the lifting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hopefully they fit in another scene where Cox and Dalton get to verbally spar again. I could've watched a whole hour of them debate about whiskey/whisky.

This was also the first episode where I actually felt some interest in Hecate's character, and got *really* interested in the Inspector's character. I kind of hope the Inspector kills Ethan, but not until Ethan's bitten him or something, allowing the Inspector to go on as a righteous Lupus Dei.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 30, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was so surprised and happy to see Brian Cox, definitely my favorite thing that's happened this season. He's good in everything he does.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really like Hecate this season. I kind of hope she turns Ethan and he's a full out "gives no fucks" Werewolf in the next season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really like Hecate this season. I kind of hope she turns Ethan and he's a full out "gives no fucks" Werewolf in the next season.

I don't think Ethan's going to survive this season - but if we don't get a fourth, it's not like it matters.

At the moment it's not looking promising: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/penny-dreadful-season-three-ratings/

Gotta love that jump in viewership after the amazing 5/22 episode, though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Finally caught up and drat this season has been amazing. Last week's, Eva Green was fantastic. Will definitely be a shame if it's not picked up for another season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think Ethan's going to survive this season - but if we don't get a fourth, it's not like it matters.

At the moment it's not looking promising: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/penny-dreadful-season-three-ratings/

Gotta love that jump in viewership after the amazing 5/22 episode, though.

Halt and Catch Fire made me believe that ratings do not matter at all!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

Halt and Catch Fire made me believe that ratings do not matter at all!

It's not like Showtime can't milk the poo poo out of their planned EIGHT seasons of Homeland, or however many seasons of Shameless they're planning on running into the ground.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Not counting Netflix views would be pretty silly, considering that's probably how most of Europe watches this show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Economics for premium cable shows are all different. You care about subs, not eyeballs. Same is true for Netflix. Netflix needs to calculate how much revenue in subs they get vs licensing fees.

The generally accepted wisdom is that a highly watched show SHOULD correspond to subs, but that may not always be the case.

Your could have the most watched show on Netflix, but if all your viewers would all still subscribe if the show was dropped, you aren't actually bringing in any revenue for the service.

Obviously it's a little more complex than that since one show is rarely the make or break and your have to take into account things like brand image. But subscription services have more to consider than just eyeballs in a timeslot.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Well, the western storyline sure delivered. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

Well, the western storyline sure delivered. :stare:

I half expected Malcolm to say something pithy like 'no one talks to my son like that' either before or after killing Talbot Sr.

I was disappointed that the Inspector character went out like he did, though. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Poor Dorian, he was so lonely because of being immortal, and he thought that he'd finally found somebody else who was immortal, and that they could bond over being bored and possibly capriciously mess some normal people up for shits and giggles. Now his house is full of ladies who want to kill any men they can and he's a little over his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was disappointed that the Inspector character went out like he did, though. =/
I appreciated the way they staged it. Ultimately, the inspector was too dedicated to his code to shoot a man in the back.

• Locked thread