Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

MP3 ruled so goddamn hard. The music was especially great and several of its tracks made it into my MP3 lists at the time.

Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to the final boss in Dark Souls 3 and I love the design (Although I'm definitely summoning for him as I'm bad at the game and it has helped immensely beating the last few bosses). I love the idea that he is an Amalgam of all the previous players who linked the fire, and so fights like a player, mixing pyromancy, miracles and two types of melee. I also like that in the run up to him there are no enemies, after Lothric Castle I was sick of the trash mobs. I'm just glad I found the massive shortcut that goes from the entrance of the bridge where you fight the Dragonslayer Armour to right outside the door for the Twin Princes, so the four red eye knights can just walk down the stairs and not bother you. Those are a great set of Quality of LIfe additions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God loving damnit. Okay, I'll grant Bravely Default one, like a year and a half after I played it, because it has a pun so sneaky that I only just recognized.

The leader of the duchy you spend much of the game fighting against is Knight Templar Braev, father of one of your party members, Edea Lee. The Templar class he uses, and which you get from him, is a largely defensive class based on building up BP through Defaulting and then expending it for one big shot.

Which means that in his fights, Braev Lee Defaults.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

God loving damnit. Okay, I'll grant Bravely Default one, like a year and a half after I played it, because it has a pun so sneaky that I only just recognized.

The leader of the duchy you spend much of the game fighting against is Knight Templar Braev, father of one of your party members, Edea Lee. The Templar class he uses, and which you get from him, is a largely defensive class based on building up BP through Defaulting and then expending it for one big shot.

Which means that in his fights, Braev Lee Defaults.

gently caress. Me. Like, I know that series loves puns, but jesus.

So in Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, the voice actor for, uh, Zero Jr (an AI bunny...it's complicated) loving loooooooves her job. Like, holy poo poo, the range of voices she goes through while playing this psychotic thing is hilarious.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Axiom Verge had a bunch of great stuff in it, but by far my favorite "little thing" is the Secret Worlds, which spawn pseudorandomly with weird access methods and never in the same place in sequential games.

Plus they look like someone badly wounded a Metroid cart with a static discharge gun and used it anyway.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Exit Strategy posted:

Axiom Verge had a bunch of great stuff in it, but by far my favorite "little thing" is the Secret Worlds, which spawn pseudorandomly with weird access methods and never in the same place in sequential games.

Plus they look like someone badly wounded a Metroid cart with a static discharge gun and used it anyway.

In several playthroughs of Axiom Verge, I've never found a Secret World portal. I've known about them since after the first playthrough, but I've never found a way in.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Inco posted:

In several playthroughs of Axiom Verge, I've never found a Secret World portal. I've known about them since after the first playthrough, but I've never found a way in.
There is a map of possible portal locations, but I still haven't found all that could spawn in a single playthrough. Finding the first one by accident was pretty thrilling.

I really like how the coat and drone launcher powers subvert your expectations on what passable and impassable terrain looks like.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inco posted:

If you're in a room with a portal, the graphics get an interlacing effect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a part in Doom where you are opening a hatch to use as a makeshift elevator. If you look closely on the control panel there's a little message saying that any employee who uses the hatch as an elevator will get their pay docked.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I like how Borderlands 2 (and I think Borderlands 1) has a main menu of a landscape scene that's rendered in-engine. You can mess around with the game's graphics settings and see what sort of effect they'll have while you're playing.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Awesome X01 power armor is awesome as is but when you turn on the flaslight the light shines through the armor's eyes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Crush Crush one of the ladies you can romance is a bear named Bearverly.

Also as an advocate of minority representation in videogames I appreciate that the protagonist is an albino with alopecia and a cleft palate.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Also as an advocate of minority representation in videogames I appreciate that the protagonist is an albino with alopecia and a cleft palate.

It's a remarkably common trio of conditions, from the looks of it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I got a kick out of turning off the tutorial robot in Stellaris. You say "turn this thing off" and it desperately tries to get out "I urge you to reconsid-" as it powers down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a fun little joke in the Cemetery level in Uncharted 4.

Super minor spoilers, I guess? Not worth a spoiler tag.

You and your brother are looking for a specific tombstone. There are several look-allies, and you can potentially find one that's almost perfect, but has the wrong years.

So Nathan quips,
"Bad dates," and Sam gives a little chuckle.

Not a laugh-out-loud joke, but I appreciated the quasi self-referential/meta-ness of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The HUD in Gemini: Heroes Reborn is completely diegetic: at the beginning of the game you get a pair of smart glasses and not only does it show your health and PSI meters but the subtitles are shown as smartphone-style text conversations and when you mark enemies it highlights them with a facial recognition square around their head like when you're talking a picture with your phone. Also the battery level goes down over the course of the game.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 22:52 on May 22, 2016

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's a fun little joke in the Cemetery level in Uncharted 4.

Super minor spoilers, I guess? Not worth a spoiler tag.

You and your brother are looking for a specific tombstone. There are several look-allies, and you can potentially find one that's almost perfect, but has the wrong years.

So Nathan quips,
"Bad dates," and Sam gives a little chuckle.

Not a laugh-out-loud joke, but I appreciated the quasi self-referential/meta-ness of it.

I'm not really seeing the joke here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a Raiders of the Lost Ark joke.

Jones gets served some poisoned dates in the movie, but Sallah stops him from eating them and says "Bad dates".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The HUD in Gemini: Heroes Reborn is completely diegetic: at the beginning of the game you get a pair of smart glasses and not only does it show your health and PSI meters but the subtitles are shown as smartphone-style text conversations and when you mark enemies it highlights them with a facial recognition square around their head like when you're talking a picture with your phone. Also the battery level goes down over the course of the game.

The game Breakdown did something similar where in the first two thirds of the game you have a full HUD but then you learn that part of the game was actually a VR recreation of real events. Then the last part of the game you're in the "real" world and don't have any HUD at all.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to the final boss in Dark Souls 3 and I love the design (Although I'm definitely summoning for him as I'm bad at the game and it has helped immensely beating the last few bosses). I love the idea that he is an Amalgam of all the previous players who linked the fire, and so fights like a player, mixing pyromancy, miracles and two types of melee. I also like that in the run up to him there are no enemies, after Lothric Castle I was sick of the trash mobs. I'm just glad I found the massive shortcut that goes from the entrance of the bridge where you fight the Dragonslayer Armour to right outside the door for the Twin Princes, so the four red eye knights can just walk down the stairs and not bother you. Those are a great set of Quality of LIfe additions.

The different forms are all thematically appropriate, too. There's the basic knight, then there's the Izalith fanboy (Quelaag's Furysword + pyromancy), Anor Londo loyalist (pike/partizan with some moves stolen from Ornstein, Princess Guard-grade healing miracles), Logan's successor (crystal soul spears, a constant buff that auto-generates homing soulmasses, soul stream) and finally the big old briquette himself, Gwyn. Even the soundtrack is joined by the mournful piano theme of the first game's final fight when he takes control.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is dumb but in the Fallout DLC Far Harbor there is a new enemy type that looks like a giant bipedal salamander/shark.

Then you loot their bodies, you can pull out their guts and there is always garbage that they've eaten like a shark full of license plates.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dark Souls series, just in general, makes you want to throw yourself against a wall over and over again. It's somewhere between a thinky-man battle-strategy game, and a mega man game, where memorization gets you through. Usually, I can't play games for a very long period of time; but if I've recently played some Dark Souls 1 or 2, I can play other games for a much longer period of time - which I value because I really want to get through my Steam backlog.

In a nutshell, Dark Souls puts me in a mood to just try and try again until I get it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think "The Brothers Drake" chapter in Uncharted 4 could probably occupy this thread for pages. Anyway, a funny detail I like in the game is that in one of the predator room-type combat arenas, a goon is posing in front of some ruins while another goon takes photos of him flexing his biceps or imitating firing his gun into the air.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Lavender posted:

Dark Souls series, just in general, makes you want to throw yourself against a wall over and over again. It's somewhere between a thinky-man battle-strategy game, and a mega man game, where memorization gets you through. Usually, I can't play games for a very long period of time; but if I've recently played some Dark Souls 1 or 2, I can play other games for a much longer period of time - which I value because I really want to get through my Steam backlog.

In a nutshell, Dark Souls puts me in a mood to just try and try again until I get it

Mad Max does this for me. I restarted my play through and am tearing rear end through the story with a few rules. Use only the archangel prototypes for vehicle selection, drive stolen vehicles for as much as possible, and wear the peast amount of clothing possible and only wear beards. i also don't scavenge the wastes,, only loot bodies, and only do side missions if I hit a brick wall in story mode. I also ignore the thunderpoon and upgrade the stupidest stuff first.

Now combat is properly challenging, and I can fight back in gas town but my inventory only has 4 shotgun rounds in the chamber and one (1) for backup, so I have to use the tlamejets a ton but conserve gear.

In a late-game convoy chase I'll flame the hell out of as many vehicles as possible, race ahead and camp deep in an inside curve and refill my tank, and finish them off with flame and shotgun. I'll steal vehicles to maintain when mine is broke and let chum bucket repair, or I'll harpoon them and let them just drag me for a while to build momentum and aim for boost impact targets.

Also the first-person view and getting really good at backing a vehicle up are a pleasure. Also the difference in building your ride for on road or off road, and gearing it up high or low, and changing the suspension to hug the blacktop or be bouncy to navigate rocks, and choosing appropriate tires and weight armor and cow-catcher are all really elegant. Stealing enemy vehicles shows you how different and specific each one is, and you can build close approximates to most anything.

Also the biggest upgrade on the menu and lore is The V8 engine. You can max out your tailpipes, which dictate your top speed, about midway through the game. The V8 comes at the same time but you have the rest of the game to upgrade it, and it dictates your acceleration, which is now balls to the loving wall.

Also rockstar soda has 3 free DLCs that are all ugly as hell and are made out of rockstar cans. Two are hood ornaments, and one is a super-souped-and-stupid dune buggy. I got them all and rated them 1-star because gently caress marketing.

The game feels like the best parts of so many games, like red dead redemption, Brütal legend (use this soundtrack instead of the ingame music), and far cry 3 and need for speed. It controls like a true-Everyman game, but honed to a razor edge. No egregious DLC either. I now definitely prefer this series to batman, which for me is saying a lot.

Also chum bucket is your personal War Igor-Gimp, and he believes in The Angel Combustion, The Magnum Opus, The Driver, and the lowely acolyte, which is himself and his shop skills. He eats grease, has his certifications ritually scared onto his stomach, and it's implied he jerks off into his ratchet heads.

The lore and world and design of the landscape and characters are all first-class. It feels like a 50-hour extension of the movie. The roadkill clan kills people and dumps their body into roach pits, where all other gangs use maggots. When they try to run you over they bray their big-rig horns and scream poo poo like "gonna mush your corpse, roach-food." Other gangs like scrotus' will straight cannabize you. Also the man villain had a razor-sharp phallic codpiece, and the other villian had a fanny pack of syringes he uses for "...torture and sexual purposes."

Those are Villians I don't mind trying to destroy with a minamilist setup, the combat is great when you turn your power level down until it's balls-hard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

scamtank posted:

The different forms are all thematically appropriate, too. There's the basic knight, then there's the Izalith fanboy (Quelaag's Furysword + pyromancy), Anor Londo loyalist (pike/partizan with some moves stolen from Ornstein, Princess Guard-grade healing miracles), Logan's successor (crystal soul spears, a constant buff that auto-generates homing soulmasses, soul stream) and finally the big old briquette himself, Gwyn. Even the soundtrack is joined by the mournful piano theme of the first game's final fight when he takes control.

Something I just realised there since starting to watch the Dark Souls 3 LP: The little guy on his throne tells you early on that you will Recreate the initial kindling of the First Flame, then the Final Boss becomes Gwyn in moveset and music. You are recreating the fight exactly.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
In Dark Souls 3 in the Catacombs of Carthus there is a trap that consists of a giant boulder made of skeletons that roll along the ground and change direction by reaching out and pushing.

There are two of these boulders in the dungeon and hiding near each is a skeleton in a stupid hat. If you kill that skeleton, the boulder will break open and drop an item. The first one will drop an item that upgrades your estus flask.

The second one drops a tiny, hostile crab. It moves incredibly slowly and dies in like one hit and barely does any damage to you. He's just down there, pissed off that you interrupted his fun ride.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dragon Quest IX for the DS was translated by whoever the team is that's been doing them lately. British as hell and love making puns. You know, go to "Alltrades Abbey" and find out that the abbot's name is "Jack of Alltrades", stuff like that.

The second little town you go to in the game is named Zere. I spent a while trying to figure out the pun, but gave it up for a bad job. Fifteen or so hours later, the story winds along until the party has to go find an incredibly talented sculptor who used to live in Zere. After trekking halfway across the world, you find an exact copy of Zere that he made entirely out of stone and beat up a monster and talk to his ghost and so on. I think there's maybe one sidequest ever that takes you back there? Nobody lives there. It's pretty unimportant. But you can teleport back there, and on the list of towns you learn that...

...its name is Zere Rocks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dragon Quest IX for the DS was translated by whoever the team is that's been doing them lately. British as hell and love making puns. You know, go to "Alltrades Abbey" and find out that the abbot's name is "Jack of Alltrades", stuff like that.

The second little town you go to in the game is named Zere. I spent a while trying to figure out the pun, but gave it up for a bad job. Fifteen or so hours later, the story winds along until the party has to go find an incredibly talented sculptor who used to live in Zere. After trekking halfway across the world, you find an exact copy of Zere that he made entirely out of stone and beat up a monster and talk to his ghost and so on. I think there's maybe one sidequest ever that takes you back there? Nobody lives there. It's pretty unimportant. But you can teleport back there, and on the list of towns you learn that...

...its name is Zere Rocks.

Is Jack of Alltrades also the Master of Nuns?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

oh god drat it

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

VanSandman posted:

This level of punnery should never have been reached

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Yes

quote:

Master of Nu'un is a result of Abbot Jack eating a golden fygg. The party finds him at the Tower of Trades, where they witness the transformation before their eyes.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

So the new Doom is pretty great, and while there's lots to love about it (especially how frantic some of the arena fights can get), I think the way it handles has to be the thing that clinches it for me. It's so responsive and fast, and whatever necromancy they performed to get it running so smoothly on modern systems pays off. There's something pure about a game which makes "shoot things" the only thing you do but does that one mechanic so well it doesn't wear out its welcome even after 14 or so hours. Rip and tear people, rip and tear.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Morpheus posted:

gently caress. Me. Like, I know that series loves puns, but jesus.

So in Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, the voice actor for, uh, Zero Jr (an AI bunny...it's complicated) loving loooooooves her job. Like, holy poo poo, the range of voices she goes through while playing this psychotic thing is hilarious.

Speaking of puns and Zero Escape (and bunny-computer is actually Zero III ) there is a never-ending stream of puns, word substitutions, and weird phrasing throughout the game that made me laugh almost every time.

"Have a nice trap/trick/treat." is one I remember.

The other is this (minor spoilers?)

"How were you intending to pop it?"
"With mind bullets?"
"...that's telekinesis, Sigma."

Christ I can't wait til the third one comes out in June.

eta: I forgot about Sigma's horrid horrid tendency toward cat puns. :3: best main character in any 3DS game ever.

gamingCaffeinator has a new favorite as of 01:32 on May 26, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gavrilo Princip posted:

So the new Doom is pretty great, and while there's lots to love about it (especially how frantic some of the arena fights can get), I think the way it handles has to be the thing that clinches it for me. It's so responsive and fast, and whatever necromancy they performed to get it running so smoothly on modern systems pays off. There's something pure about a game which makes "shoot things" the only thing you do but does that one mechanic so well it doesn't wear out its welcome even after 14 or so hours. Rip and tear people, rip and tear.

Don't be disingenuous. There's three mechanics, shoot, shove whirring chain into flesh, and Rip n' Tear.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I finally got around to finishing The Art Gallery levels in Portal 2 co-op mode, and the final cutscene is absolutely fantastic. The whole 'the antagonist is a bird' situation is super goofy and it works so well with P-body's and Atlas' personalities. :allears:

The entire set of Art Gallery levels was an extremely fun bunch of puzzles as well. Instead of cutting corners to meet the time and budget deadlines for these final levels, the developers instead gave Glados even more voiced lines and introduced new puzzle components.

Also the puzzle cubes make bouncing basketball sounds when they're covered in blue goo. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

QuietLion posted:

Instead of cutting corners to meet the time and budget deadlines for these final levels, the developers instead gave Glados even more voiced lines

I like how even when they added Workshop support to Pirtal 2 they added like 10 minutes of new JK Simmons voice acting for it.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Guy Mann posted:

I like how even when they added Workshop support to Pirtal 2 they added like 10 minutes of new JK Simmons voice acting for it.
I didn't know this, that is fantastic. The more Cave Johnson the better I say!

If only this decision would carry over into other game series, it would be the bomb dot com if an Arkham Knight DLC added more voiced Joker lines.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guy Mann posted:

25 whole minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPWs6ioNZoI

Chariots, chariots.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:03 on May 26, 2016

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

:allears:

JK Simmons is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
When Skyrim launched on the Workshop, they teamed up with Valve to create a Portal 2 add-on where the Space Core plummets from the sky and smashes into a destroyed house. He has several new lines and even gets two load screens for himself. I love it.