Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

So this is way beyond just a snapped tie rod as it was originally described to me.

This was pretty much what I thought when she sent me the pictures. If it was just a tie rod no big deal but the axle is probably turbo hosed.

Yeah that axle is done. I can't even tell if the tie rod is damaged in this picture, but it probably is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
doublepostin' up in this poo poo

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1605-craigslist-find-abandoned-1970-gremlin-drag-car/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Yeah that axle is done. I can't even tell if the tie rod is damaged in this picture, but it probably is.

New question. How do I move this heap 100 feet without a tow truck?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Unfortunately, you do it with a tow truck. You're going to need to lift it far enough to get the tire out of the fender or it's going to gently caress up the everything. If you can get a bunch of 4x4 lumber, a floor jack, a ton of ratchet straps, and a harbor freight wheel dolly, you can probably do it ghetto style.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Unfortunately, you do it with a tow truck. You're going to need to lift it far enough to get the tire out of the fender or it's going to gently caress up the everything. If you can get a bunch of 4x4 lumber, a floor jack, a ton of ratchet straps, and a harbor freight wheel dolly, you can probably do it ghetto style.
The 3-ton capacity AC Delco garage jack at O'Reilly's has wheels and could probably move that fucker 100'.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And only costs like $300 :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mine was on sale for $150 and I had coupons that dropped it to $100, and I'll never need to buy another one! It does weigh something like 125 pounds, but poo poo, I'm working out. Even my girlfriend's dad, unsolicited, said "holy cow, nice jack." :madmax:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Do you mind bleeding the breaks? Clamp the rubber brake line, take out the banjo fitting bolt and replace with an eyelet. Ratchet strap through the eyelet to the chassis until the wheel's straight enough to push/pull/drag.

Could probably do it with a length of strap through the caliper itself after taking the pads out if you are so inclined.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wait, this?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

Wait, this?

The SUV jack has that built-in extension on the "foot", I'm talkin' bout this one:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wouldn't a car be movable on 3 wheels? Just pop it off and have one person push and one person slightly lift the wheel well so it doesnt move.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think part of the problem would be that strut, that had been forcing itself against the balljoint, would be forcing the bearing housing into the ground, so you'd need to get that to roll somehow, thus my suggestion of a jack-on-wheels or ken's wheel dolly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's a little harder when one of your drive wheels is missing on a car presumably rocking an open diff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

fyodor posted:

Wait, this?

No, that looks like the one ton or tranny jack. Also, You got a hell of a deal then scuz, because I can't buy it that cheap on employee pricing. :colbert:

Also, net weight is 108lbs including packaging. I know because I lost a sale a week ago to a customer complaining about how heavy it was and how the mechanics in his shop wouldn't use it, because apparently he hires 12 year old girls. He was not impressed when I shrugged my shoulders and said its the same size as the 30-40 year old one I use at home.

EDIT: I guess its $200. Either way, $100 is cheaper than I get it, so gently caress you. :mad:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 25, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gee, I hope those poor babies never have to take the wheels off any pickup larger than a base 1/2 ton. :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

No, that looks like the one ton or tranny jack. Also, You got a hell of a deal then scuz, because I can't buy it that cheap on employee pricing. :colbert:

Also, net weight is 108lbs including packaging. I know because I lost a sale a week ago to a customer complaining about how heavy it was and how the mechanics in his shop wouldn't use it, because apparently he hires 12 year old girls. He was not impressed when I shrugged my shoulders and said its the same weight as the one I use at home.

Yeah I got super lucky; there was a local clearance I think and they wanted to get the one off the shelf cuz it was heavy enough that nobody was buying it. They said "of course you can use your O'Reilly coupons on top of your rewards certificates" and away I went. I think I had a "$10 off of sales of $100 or more" and then $20 of rewards, so $120 but still! Love that jack, it's a keeper. Needed something with a low enough profile and high enough lift to handle the poo poo I have in the garage, and that thing fit the bill. I'd pay $200 for it, no sweat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've wondered how well those jacks hold up, the low profile one would be nice for the mercedes and other stuff that comes through my garage on occassion and is cheaper than the horrible freight option. If I ever get rid of the truck or buy a project, I guess I know what I'm getting.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yup, this thing's a peach. I can't use ramps on my galpal's Prius cuz the skirt hits the ramp like right away so bam, got a jack.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

scuz posted:

I think part of the problem would be that strut, that had been forcing itself against the balljoint, would be forcing the bearing housing into the ground, so you'd need to get that to roll somehow, thus my suggestion of a jack-on-wheels or ken's wheel dolly.

yeah the real issue here is that generation of Honda transfers the vehicle weight to the knuckle via the lower balljoint because the strut acts on the lower control arm, instead of through a macpherson strut to the knuckle. So the lower control arm there has flown off of the knuckle due to balljoint failure and the vehicle is now sitting on its fender on top of the tire. The wheel pointing the right direction is a secondary concern, the real issue is that you have to lift the chassis till it's not wedged hard on the tire.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jack it up, wedge pieces of 2x4 into random suspension components to keep the wheel separated from the body, use a wheel dolly to move it.

It's like you guys have never rednecked before.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just wanted to move it on the jack :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I skipped a lot of the conversation, I was assuming you needed to move it down the road.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've spent a couple hours at work today going down the Area 51 / UFO / MK Ultra rabbit holes. Has been some seriously entertaining reading. What are some of the better sites for catching up on stuff like that? Better being relative, of course. Like, places that have a reputation for making a compelling argument or evidence rather than the ones that are full throttle :tinfoil: tomfoolery.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Jack it up, wedge pieces of 2x4 into random suspension components to keep the wheel separated from the body, use a wheel dolly to move it.

It's like you guys have never rednecked before.

ahem

to add to those pictures, this was a 1996 cherokee with no floors that we were tearing the engine out of. On my porch.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tide posted:

I've spent a couple hours at work today going down the Area 51 / UFO / MK Ultra rabbit holes. Has been some seriously entertaining reading. What are some of the better sites for catching up on stuff like that? Better being relative, of course. Like, places that have a reputation for making a compelling argument or evidence rather than the ones that are full throttle :tinfoil: tomfoolery.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB443/ is my advice.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB434/ also this one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The entirety of Last Podcast on the Left is amazing for that. I've been mainlining them for two months or so.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

ahem

to add to those pictures, this was a 1996 cherokee with no floors that we were tearing the engine out of. On my porch.

It saddens me that you had the cinderblocks oriented like that. For shaaaame.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

It saddens me that you had the cinderblocks oriented like that. For shaaaame.

Given the level of rust he deals with, the Jeep probably only weighs 500 lbs or so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It broke when they had pulled halfway out of their parking space so it was blocking part of their parking area. I just went to scope it out after work, the axle is pulled out of the diff, grease everywhere, boot torn to poo poo. The ball joint is worn as hell with a ton of dust trapped in the rubber ring.

So long story short, they recently ascended from poverty and both got good jobs. But this car was a holdover from that and they still owe $1600 on it so they don't have the title and they can't just scrap it right this moment. So it had to move down to the other end of the gravel park. They just needed it moved so I used the scissor jack from the trunk to lift it high enough, then I kicked the wheel back so the ball joint would be resting on the inner rim and lowered the car. Then we threw it in neutral and despite the deafening scraping noise I was able to ease it backwards down the hill where it will live until they decide what to do with it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Know anyone with a 2-wheel car dolly? Otherwise I'd jack up that corner, toss it on a moving dolly/skateboard and push/pull it. Have moved several hosed up cars this way...including through the yard.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Anybody dissing the Ronal Bears ITT should leave AI.
They are available in the right Pcd for my Saab. One day I shall win some on eBay!

Rhyno posted:

Go buy a 4 wheeled sack trolley and just jack it up and drop the front end onto the trolley. Instant movable car. I had to get my Saab mobile when I was half way through swapping the engine and box and had removed the entire hub and axle assembly. Sack trolley worked well and they are always useful to have.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It broke when they had pulled halfway out of their parking space so it was blocking part of their parking area. I just went to scope it out after work, the axle is pulled out of the diff, grease everywhere, boot torn to poo poo. The ball joint is worn as hell with a ton of dust trapped in the rubber ring.

So long story short, they recently ascended from poverty and both got good jobs. But this car was a holdover from that and they still owe $1600 on it so they don't have the title and they can't just scrap it right this moment. So it had to move down to the other end of the gravel park. They just needed it moved so I used the scissor jack from the trunk to lift it high enough, then I kicked the wheel back so the ball joint would be resting on the inner rim and lowered the car. Then we threw it in neutral and despite the deafening scraping noise I was able to ease it backwards down the hill where it will live until they decide what to do with it.

Slam a new $50 autozone CV shaft and a new balljoint in. Hopefully I'm wrong about having to pull the wheel bearing, if not, it's also cheapish from autozone, just a pain in the dick to press the bearing off the hub and the new one onto it. It took us a day (mostly spent driving all over the place looking for parts since we wanted to do the brakes while we were in there* and wanted to do both sides as a result) and maybe 200 in materials.

* the much maligned inboard rotor setup. The hubs have to come out of the knuckles to get the rotors off, so a lot of cheapish hondas of this era will have severely worn brakes because someone didn't want to pay that kind of labor to have them done and hopes they can sell it to someone who doesn't know how annoying it is. Since it was that design and we had it all apart, figured might as well do the (long overdue) brakes at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I offered to help with repairs but she's fed up with the car. This is the same one I swapped out the busted bumper and fender on last year, it's been slowly falling apart on them for a while now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

If it's the inboard-brake setup

It's not. That's a 98-02 Accord; the inboard brake poo poo was 90-97.

Pretty sure you don't need to pull the wheel bearing to do the half shaft either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

It's not. That's a 98-02 Accord; the inboard brake poo poo was 90-97.

Pretty sure you don't need to pull the wheel bearing to do the half shaft either.

I stand corrected then, blame my Honda PTSD from doing this no fewer than three times for/with friends and never working on any other era of Honda :v: change my vote to "slap a balljoint and cv shaft in that thing and immediately sell it if it is unwanted."

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I think this is the quickest I've ever lost my token $20 in Vegas. 4 minutes or something like that. That satisfies my gambling requirement this trip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna see what they want to do but she seems pretty keen to burn the car to the ground. But if it's a difference between $150 in scrap and selling it as a $500 runner she may change her mind.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Either one is stupid if they owe money on it, might as well fix it and drive the drat thing. If what STR said is true it should be an easy and cheap fix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The only pain in the rear end will be refilling the transaxle if it's a manual - the fill plug will often seize if it hasn't been maintained.

If it's automatic, meh, refill through the dipstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any recommendations for a good online store for buying flags/banners/posters?

• Locked thread