Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's going on with the new release about Hillary? It appears to me that it doesn't say anything new, it just reiterates that yeah, she did something she wasn't supposed to. But it seems like more of an indictment on the awful loving IT stuff for the government.

The more information that comes out from the IG report, the shittier the optics are for the Hilldawg. It's not a report about legal ramifications, but it's great red meat for republicans in the general election:

1) The Hilldawg has pretty much lied every single instance about her email
2) The Hilldawg knew of the State dept. policies and violated them
3) The Hilldawg and crew didn't cooperate with the IG investigation

Again, this isn't about legal ramifications, it's just really lovely optics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Remind us again which financial institutions you work for, axeil?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

Remind us again which financial institutions you work for, axeil?

The one I won't name because some fucker from here would probably try to contact them and get me fired for shitposting on the internet while having Wrong Opinions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The more information that comes out from the IG report, the shittier the optics are for the Hilldawg. It's not a report about legal ramifications, but it's great red meat for republicans in the general election:

Literally the only people who give a poo poo are already voting Trump, nobody cares. What person could possibly have this be the tipping point for who they're voting for?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is it JP? I bet it's JP.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

Is it JP? I bet it's JP.

You're free to think whatever you want, it's a free country*.

*Unless you are a banker in which case it's apparently Just and Good to savagely beat you and kill you for something you took no part in.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
As examples, dragging and beating a few bankers to death in the street is something I support. Clearly their peers just can't help themselves from defrauding the public.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

axeil posted:

*Unless you are a banker in which case it's apparently Just and Good to savagely beat you and kill you for something you took no part in.

No one said this.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No one said this.

quote:

Hang them all from the wall Street lampposts. Leave the desiccated corpses there as a warning.

It was on the last page but it's not like nobody says things like that ever here.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

axeil posted:

You're free to think whatever you want, it's a free country*.

It's not that bankers are evil, it's that just like the pharmaceutical industry they have extraordinarily powerful lobbyists who have successfully given them the ability to achieve regulatory capture. Finance jobs pay well, especially now, and smart people want to go into jobs that pay well. That has given us an overgrown financial sector to the point where it is actually dragging down our economy. It's not the fault of the bankers, it's the lobbyists and shameless, Koch-sucking politicians like Paul Ryan.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The ideologically pure financial job for a leftist is to work for a credit union.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

The one I won't name because some fucker from here would probably try to contact them and get me fired for shitposting on the internet while having Wrong Opinions.

Being murdered by friendless Internet maniacs is part of the risk you took when you went into finance.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bro works in retail banking in the middle Atlantic he ain't even an ibanker, just a wannabe

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Zeroisanumber posted:

Being murdered by friendless Internet maniacs is part of the risk you took when you went into finance.

I know it's joke but I've heard similar comments made about the saftey and rights of government workers so I'm going to go ahead and say let's not say these things ironically.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

For income or wealth? And do you have a source?

income, assuming that everyone making, e.g., $0-$10k actually made $10k, everyone between $10,001 and $15k made $15k, etc.:

census up to $100k, then "what's the top 10%, 5%, 1% and .1% income" searches

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

axeil posted:

Cool, I've always wanted to live in Venezuela.

Lynchings are never the answer no matter how mad you get.

Actually this is a Good Appeal because the original one was horseshit and reeked of vigilante justice. poo poo went down, but it was never knowingly fraud.

It was absolutely knowingly fraud. There were rules on what kind of loans Fannie and Freddie would buy, and instead of only creating loans that fit those criteria they bundled them together into some new thing that was Totally Different made up entirely of loans that didn't fit into the rules. Banks knew exactly what they were doing and deceitfully concealed it, then lied when people started realizing what they had done.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"You said I couldn't do drugs under your roof dad so I just cut a huge hole in the roof" -banks who aren't being fraudulent.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Sounds like the same argument management gives when one of their employees dies on the job due to unsafe workplace conditions.

Like baking dude in tuna oven.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

This source is old (2002), but if I did the math on it the total income for the top 0.1% adds up to about $260,887,000,000. You're missing some zeroes there, and that's assuming you try to take the vast majority of it.

I said assets, not income. But we could include their income also. Just tweak the percents and the richness cutoff until the books balance, easy-peasy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

The ideologically pure financial job for a leftist is to work for a credit union.

people who work at credit unions are good people

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

On Terra Firma posted:

It was on the last page but it's not like nobody says things like that ever here.

Let me be a little more explicit: no one said that the bankers did nothing and have no blame except the guy defending them.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hello fellow goons!

I'm looking for some news articles on education for my education class. We've talked about a lot so far, including the CTU strike (thanks to Eric Allie's berating), the Boston Public Schools walk-out,, Missouri state, and a lot of Texas stuff like the Supreme Court hearing, and Bruner.

I've researched a lot but I figured there's something ya'll would like to come to light (plus I'm running out of ideas) and would like a few education students to discuss.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

and don't forget that cuts to military spending are, in fact, cuts to economic stimulus. there's lots of analysts who make fairly convincing arguments that much of the waste and duplication produced by the us military is not terribly problematic due to the fact that so much of that money flows back into the us economy

If you believe those economists that military spending is an overall fiscal benefit because it's economic stimulus then you just conceded the affordability argument because those same analysts will tell you that GMI is even more effective stimulus.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So what are the odds that the republicans in Kansas gets a modicum of sense and actually funds schools so they can run. I'm worried about my nephew stuck in Kansas due to his father being military there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VitalSigns posted:

If you believe those economists that military spending is an overall fiscal benefit because it's economic stimulus then you just conceded the affordability argument because those same analysts will tell you that GMI is even more effective stimulus.

I mostly pointed it out since it's an inconvenient truth leftists like to ignore, but it really doesn't address my overall point that there's a pretty profound difference between slightly less than a trillion in national defense spending, and 5-8 trillion spent per year. Sure, it'd be an economic stimulus, but that doesn't mean it's automatically affordable.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

So what are the odds that the republicans in Kansas gets a modicum of sense and actually funds schools so they can run. I'm worried about my nephew stuck in Kansas due to his father being military there.

What do you think?

it's 0%

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

ChaseSP posted:

Considering what they, and Oklahoma quite frankly, have done to the budgets and curriculum, I'm going to say even if they had some sense, they ruined education for a generation or more in their state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ChaseSP posted:

Last I checked they were doubling down on this. Plus, I forget either there or in Oklahoma they were passing bills that would let them remove judges who don't rule their way, which has to be unconstitutional since it violates separation of powers pretty blatantly. This was in part to stop the courts from telling the state 'hey, you know guys, you can't keep cutting education funding to the bone and beyond and expect us to sit on our hands'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

All of the polling has suggested that the 'email scandal' is not an issue voters care about. At least not the kind of people who weren't already voting Republican.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

My Face When posted:

Considering what they, and Oklahoma quite frankly, have done to the budgets and curriculum, I'm going to say even if they had some sense, they ruined education for a generation or more in their state.

So is there a point at which these policies in OK and elsewhere start to affect college admissions? Not in the "Algebra 2/Trigonometry" wasn't available, but in the sense that the courses being taught are in such a bare bones manner as to be seen as not adequate?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of the polling has suggested that the 'email scandal' is not an issue voters care about. At least not the kind of people who weren't already voting Republican.

Much like spilled milk, Obamacare, and Benghazi: only delusional morons think that burning calories over concern trolling about Clinton's email server give a poo poo.

Keep loving that chicken, it's a good look.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

axeil posted:

Cool, I've always wanted to live in Venezuela.

Lynchings are never the answer no matter how mad you get.

you get public executions french-revolution-style or you get this:

In her book A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, Barbara Tuchman writes about a peasant revolt in 1358 that began in the village of St. Leu and spread throughout the Oise Valley. At one estate, the serfs sacked the manor house, killed the knight, and roasted him on a spit in front of his wife and kids. Then, after ten or twelve peasants violated the lady, with the children still watching, they forced her to eat the roasted flesh of her dead husband and then killed her.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Solkanar512 posted:

So is there a point at which these policies in OK and elsewhere start to affect college admissions? Not in the "Algebra 2/Trigonometry" wasn't available, but in the sense that the courses being taught are in such a bare bones manner as to be seen as not adequate?

It seems like it has already started. The budget cuts have already affected higher education as well.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Overheard at the gym

"Coming up next, we unravel the mystery behind Trump university, which some students and several lawsuits say may have been a scam"

- CNN

The weasel wording made me laugh out loud

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

My Face When posted:

Hello fellow goons!

I'm looking for some news articles on education for my education class. We've talked about a lot so far, including the CTU strike (thanks to Eric Allie's berating), the Boston Public Schools walk-out,, Missouri state, and a lot of Texas stuff like the Supreme Court hearing, and Bruner.

I've researched a lot but I figured there's something ya'll would like to come to light (plus I'm running out of ideas) and would like a few education students to discuss.

School Closures: A Blunt Instrument by Rachel Cohen for The American Prospect.

Roots & Braches Charter Will Remain Open, But Public School Closures Loom Large by Rachel Cohen for the Baltimore City Paper.

The Charter School Profiteers by Allie Gross for
Jacobin.

Why GOP and Teachers are Uniting to Stop Obama Effort to Help Poor Schools by Kevin Carey for The Upshot blog at the New York Times.

I would also browse the education policy section for policy think tanks. They'll have white papers and links to articles that cite their research.

Left-Liberal Think Tanks: Roosevelt Institute, The Century Foundation, the Economic Policy Institute, Demos

Centrist Think Tanks: Brookings, New America Foundation, Third Way

Rightwing Think Tanks: Heritage Foundation, The Manhattan Institute, the Cato Institute

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

National Republicans will just pass some funhouse mirror form of affirmative action whereby universities are required accept a certain number of students from Kansas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, etc.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

GalacticAcid posted:

Lots of useful links.

This is great! Thank you so much. The charter school articles will definitely help as we are about divulge in the politics of the system and that is something I want to talk about and debate.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

There are already numerous cases nationwide of kids from lovely public schools (that is to say, minorities) being valedictorians and ending up taking remedial classes in college because their school just barely taught them anything. I don't think colleges take special measures to identify students from those problem schools - as long as they're still accredited by the Department of Ed, they're presumed to be good enough.

So Oklahoma would need to gain a particularly special reputation for producing horrible students. I'm guessing about another 3-4 years before colleges nationwide begin to notice and take action? (OU is different, since their percentage of Oklahoma students is significantly higher than normal, obviously)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zelder posted:

Overheard at the gym

"Coming up next, we unravel the mystery behind Trump university, which some students and several lawsuits say may have been a scam"

- CNN

The weasel wording made me laugh out loud
I'd chalk it up to Trump's litigious nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ChaseSP posted:

On the plus side, if he's stationed at Leavenworth they can just live in Missouri. Not that the phrase "On the bright side, you can live in Missouri" is one of the most reassuring ones in the English language.

• Locked thread