Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm having an unusual problem in my Cologne game, I want to become a republic by triggering the Aspiration For Liberty disaster but it requires negative stability and I've been stuck at +3 for a hundred years. Not kidding. I dipped down to +2 for taking the stab hit option in an event and yet another +1 event fired the next freaking month. What's a good way to reduce it, that doesn't involve getting AE in Europe? Since I'm a theocracy I can't do royal marriages.

At some point a country formed Prussia and then they got in a PU under a large Brandenburg so that was fun. Two times space marines. But I managed to ally France and thought to use them as a sledgehammer. It didn't work out the way I thought it was going to. France went complete loving :killdozer: and casually stomped them into the ground with no effort whatsoever in just a few months. Without using any real numeral advantage. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Poil posted:

I'm having an unusual problem in my Cologne game, I want to become a republic by triggering the Aspiration For Liberty disaster but it requires negative stability and I've been stuck at +3 for a hundred years. Not kidding. I dipped down to +2 for taking the stab hit option in an event and yet another +1 event fired the next freaking month. What's a good way to reduce it, that doesn't involve getting AE in Europe? Since I'm a theocracy I can't do royal marriages.

If you have a navy, you could no-CB far away places. You could also do this without a navy, but having one would let you resolve the wars in a reasonable time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I just started playing this again after a year long break. Bought Common Sense and am currently playing as Korea, which is going well so far. Are there any good/interesting mods? I like ones that add more events or change the map around, although not the kind that adds like a million more provinces or is too complicated for its own good.

Also what are the recommended ideas to take? I just unlocked my third slot and wanted to take a military one since I don't have one yet. I recall some of them weren't really worth it but I can't remember which ones.

Third slot's a bit late, but if you haven't taken it already make sure to get exploration or at least expansion. As any South/East Asian team you get the entirety of Indonesia and the Philippines free for you to colonize, which'll massively inflate your power.

as for mods, gonna be a bit self indulgent and recommend mine: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679184877&searchtext=

extended vanilla experience used to be a decent pick for one that doesn't do too much for its own good, but I dunno if that's been updated for a while.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

At some point a country formed Prussia and then they got in a PU under a large Brandenburg so that was fun. Two times space marines. But I managed to ally France and thought to use them as a sledgehammer. It didn't work out the way I thought it was going to. France went complete loving :killdozer: and casually stomped them into the ground with no effort whatsoever in just a few months. Without using any real numeral advantage. :stonk:

Morale is a hell of a drug.

Prussian Ideas are crazy strong if they get combined with the right military idea lines, but the AI often forgets to do this. Then you have France and their +30% morale come in, defeat them once, stackwipe them, and then it's game over.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I'm playing Prussia and someone I lost elector and now I'm a loving duke. Is there an easy way to get it back, or does it not matter? I could take Austria in a 1v1, but the alliances won't quite play in my favor. Also, the last three electors hate me, do that's probably a no go.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
OK, so can anyone tell me what exactly changed about localization files since 1.16? I'm trying to update my mods but even though I changed all the ": " string endings to ":0 ", absolutely none of them still worked. I've tried just about everything to troubleshoot this (making sure they're all .yml, making sure the space indentations are all properly placed, making sure all quotation marks are in the right places, even copying the current EUIV loc files and writing over them). I'm going loving crazy over here and I can't find when or how these files changed anywhere.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I diploannexed France as Great Britain and all it did was make my gamelong bloc of me, Aragon, and Austria substantially weaker. Turns out late game England just isn't the military power that late game France is, even with half of Castille, most of the New World, and a good deal of Africa and India behind it.

Don't care; got an achievement out of it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

New dev diary, paradox is uh completely overhauling the technology system

Johan posted:

Welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis IV. This time we talk about something that will be in the next major patch we do.

One of the parts of the game that has not changed much since eu1 is the concept of technology groups and technological development around the world. We’ve added concepts like westernising, and tweaked that one, but in the end Europe has a huge advantage from day 1, and lots of fun gameplay options are limited the further away you are.

So this is what will happen in 1.18, when it is released this autumn..

A nation’s technology group no longer affect technology research.

There is now a concept called Institutions, which will affect your technology research. There are seven different institutions that appear over the game, and if you don’t get them to spread into your country and then get embraced by your government, your technology costs will slowly rise.

Each institution will appear in a province fullfilling certain factors, and then slowly spread around the world. The nation owning that province will gain prestige and monarch power.

Every year the penalty for not having embraced an institution will grow by 1%, so there is a gradual process.

When an institution has spread to at least 10% of your development, you can embrace it in your government, removing the penalty permanently, and also giving a bonus to your nation. The cost to embrace depends on the amount of development in your nation without the institution.

All institutions spread over borders (including 1 seazone away), if relations are positive, and the spread is based on development in the province getting it. There are also lots of other factors related to the spread.

So which are the the seven institutions then?

Feudalism
This is present from the start in almost all the world, except among the hordes, new world and sub-saharan africa. It will slowly spread into neighboring lands, but it is not quick.
Bonus: Gives 1 extra free leader.
Penalty: 50%

Renaissance
This appears in Italy after 1450, in either a capital or a 20+ development province. It will spread quickly through high development in europe, particularly through italy, but can only spread into provinces that have feudalism already.
Bonus: 5% Cheaper Development & 5% Cheaper Buildings
Penalty: 20%

Colonialism
Appears after 1500 in a port province in Europe, who’s owner has the Quest of the New World idea, and have discovered the new world. And will spread very quickly through any port in countries with colonies.
Bonus: +10% Provincial Trade Power

Printing Press
This arrives after 1550, most likely in germany, but can happen in any protestant or reformed province. It will spread quickly in Protestant and Reformed territory, but also into capitals with dip tech 15.
Bonus: 5& Cheaper Stability

Global Trade
This arrives after 1600, in a center of trade in the highest value trade node, and will spread quicker into provinces with trade buildings.
Bonus: +1 Merchant

Manufactories
This arrives after 1650 in a province with 30 development and a manufactory, and will spread quicker into provinces with manufactories.
Bonus: +10% Goods Produced

Enlightenment
Arrives after 1650 in a province that either is a seat of a parliament, or is a province in europe owned by a monarch with at least 5 in all stats. Universities & Parliament Seats spread this institution.
Bonus: 25% Cheaper Culture Conversion
Penalty: 30%

What does this mean?

The progress of Europe is not guaranteed, but most importantly, a nation in Asia or Africa is no longer crippled from day 1, and forced to avoid spending power on ideas and development.

------

We’re constantly tweaking the spread factors, but here are some screenshots from mid 18th century in a hands-off game from this morning.

This is the institutions mapmode, where green are provinces that have all the enabled institutions, and yellow are don’t have them all.

And here is the technology mapmode, of the same game.

Some other aspects that has changed include the following
- New World Native Reforming will give you all institutions that the one you reform from has.
- Trade Companies are available to all technology groups.
- Lots and lots of triggers on western techgroups have been changed to check for specific relevant institutions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This, and the sound of everything makes it look like some incredibly overreaching mod to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm cautiously optimistic. But I'm unsure how the untermensch tech groups aren't screwed out of getting the institutions. Just have to wait and see and I guess. :)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've been one of the people wanting a new tech system that's more flexible, but this seems a little odd. If you're playing a non European power how much can you really affect some of these factors? Like an Indian or Chinese state could easily get the manufactories and trade ones, I guess, but why is the colonialism one limited to Europeans?

Like the current westernization system doesn't make historically and feels weird mechanically, but at least as a player I have control over it. This feels more random.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It feels like even more micromanagement, but we'll have to see how it turns out I guess. Also sounds like it may make it tougher to play an OPM.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm cautiously optimistic as well but the idea of not automatically paying 50% more for every tech level right out of the gate because you're on the wrong side of the Bosporus seems like it might finally get me to embrace playing outside of Europe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think this looks really good. Much more interesting than tech groups and westernisation.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hey, maybe the New World might actually have some development now!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Poil posted:

e: cannot read

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 26, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
With how much trouble they've had getting spread of discoveries to work reasonably basing the entire tech system on something similar is a bit worrying to me but if it does work right this sounds like a huge improvement. Tech groups were way too rigid a system in a whole bunch of ways.

Colonial Air Force posted:

It feels like even more micromanagement, but we'll have to see how it turns out I guess. Also sounds like it may make it tougher to play an OPM.

It looks nearly entirely passive, not really that much more micromanagement really.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Declare two no CB wars on people on the other side of the war. No AE in Europe

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I'm entirely enamored with this new tech system and can't wait to see what else it plugs into.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seems pretty cool, but Im not sure I understood what "penalty" is and why "enlightenment" is the second highest one after feudalism

Dman, I was planning to go back to this game but now I want to wait for the new technology system

EDIT: it also seems like such a huge change that it will take some patches to be properly balanced and fixed

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

I'm entirely enamored with this new tech system and can't wait to see what else it plugs into.
It will be completely separate from most other mechanics, just like most of the other new mechanics :v:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: it also seems like such a huge change that it will take some patches to be properly balanced and fixed

Hilarious unintentional post-patch glitches are the best thing about EU4 in my opinion. It's nice to get a stable game in for the entire game's duration every now and then but it's also a lot of fun exploiting a glitch to complete a World Conquest by 1490 sometimes, too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seems like it might be useful to stick a new idea in one of the underpowered idea groups that improves the spread speed of institutions in your country.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Seems like it might be useful to stick a new idea in one of the underpowered idea groups that improves the spread speed of institutions in your country.

That would make sense. Maybe Innovative? It isn't half as good as it used to be.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Sweet, more tacked on mechanics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems pretty cool, but Im not sure I understood what "penalty" is and why "enlightenment" is the second highest one after feudalism

Dman, I was planning to go back to this game but now I want to wait for the new technology system

The penalty is the maximum tech cost increase you get for not embracing the institution. That means that in 1444, everyone in the world pays the exact same amount of monarch points for tech. But since Feudalism exists, everyone in the world who hasn't embraced it will gradually get an extra 1% tech cost, capping out at 50% in 1494. If you embrace the institution, you lose the penalty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Sweet, more tacked on mechanics.

They're replacing some crusty old legacy mechanics so I think it will even out.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Looks cool. Y'all are some chicken littles.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fister Roboto posted:

The penalty is the maximum tech cost increase you get for not embracing the institution. That means that in 1444, everyone in the world pays the exact same amount of monarch points for tech. But since Feudalism exists, everyone in the world who hasn't embraced it will gradually get an extra 1% tech cost, capping out at 50% in 1494. If you embrace the institution, you lose the penalty.

Americas, Africa & the steppe will start with the Feudalism malus fully maxed out, so they get a 50% penalty at the start.

Compared to the old penalties though that's nothing, hopefully American teams can get exploration ideas now before the tech costs really start to add up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They're replacing some crusty old legacy mechanics so I think it will even out.

Yeah, this is like the second oldest system in the game, it's pretty nice that they're finally going to try and tackle it.

Now if only they'd fix the awful map projection...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

Looks cool. Y'all are some chicken littles.

Took you this long

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this is like the second oldest system in the game, it's pretty nice that they're finally going to try and tackle it.

Now if only they'd fix the awful map projection...

There's a new globe mapmode so who knows...

Curious if the fall release date for the patch is just a factor of paradox being stretched across like four games now or if this is just gonna be a huge update.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

Curious if the fall release date for the patch is just a factor of paradox being stretched across like four games now or if this is just gonna be a huge update.
They know people will be buying Stellaris and/or HoI4, plus they get a summer break, plus yeah there are probably going to be a lot of people working on basic fixes for the two new games for a few months (I have no idea if the last bit will actually be true, I dont know how game development/releases work). Also, with people buying the other games, this update will probably come in an expansion so they will wait to charge people.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lots of scope for new events and flavour as well.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mantis42 posted:

I've been one of the people wanting a new tech system that's more flexible, but this seems a little odd. If you're playing a non European power how much can you really affect some of these factors? Like an Indian or Chinese state could easily get the manufactories and trade ones, I guess, but why is the colonialism one limited to Europeans?

Like the current westernization system doesn't make historically and feels weird mechanically, but at least as a player I have control over it. This feels more random.

Colonialism will always start in europe, but apparently it'll spread pretty quickly to any colonizing nation, including non-European nations.

Seems like a very strange system. Instead of going through The Suffering Times to westernize, you'll basically have to complete a series of mini-missions over time - "build trade buildings in 10% of your territory!" "build manufactories in core places around your territory!" etc, etc. I'm not sure how you'll get The Renaissance at all, if you're not Europe or China.

Makes same-continent colonization a lot stronger again, though :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I do think it's a little weird that feudalism is apparently the foundation of technological advance.

PleasingFungus posted:

Colonialism will always start in europe, but apparently it'll spread pretty quickly to any colonizing nation, including non-European nations.

Seems like a very strange system. Instead of going through The Suffering Times to westernize, you'll basically have to complete a series of mini-missions over time - "build trade buildings in 10% of your territory!" "build manufactories in core places around your territory!" etc, etc. I'm not sure how you'll get The Renaissance at all, if you're not Europe or China.

Makes same-continent colonization a lot stronger again, though :)

Presumably you could also just conquer the provinces that the institution you want has spread to.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fister Roboto posted:

I do think it's a little weird that feudalism is apparently the foundation of technological advance.

Presumably you could also just conquer the provinces that the institution you want has spread to.

If your plan for Westernizing starts with "conquer the Europeans"...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well that's basically what Western Focus is, except for everyone else now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm hopeful. I always thought

1. Start in poo poo tech group with massive penalties
2. Fulfil arbitrary requirements for westernisation
3. Do gently caress all for decades because of westernisation penalties
4. Join the Western supermen and remove all penalties

was a bit too binary, and not really a process much of the world went through in reality. I like the idea that what we currently call "westernisation" is a process that everyone including the westerners have to go through, and depending on how your game goes maybe the Europeans might have to learn a thing or two from other parts of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Technologically backward Great Britain, good result, or best result?

• Locked thread