Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They do not. That would be monopolistic and just asking for another lawsuit. And this time, it would be courtesy of the US government, and nobody wants that, not even AMD.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I don't think this has near as much weight as people like to tout

Well it's the corporate strategy for them now, basically. Is there a reason why you think that hardware optimization is not going to play a big role in the future of gaming?

Has this topic already been hashed out?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
There is no reason to think games wouldn't be optimized for Nvidia software when being ported over to PC, or that it's even necessary to do. Nvidia has shown great software prowess in getting full utilization of their chips. Further, Nvidia has already taken steps to mimic GCN design in Pascal.

It's just silly to think a company would bank on ported games being broken on Nvidia hardware and developers kneecapping themselves on sales to PC by releasing a game broken on the majority of PC user hardware.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JayzTwoCents addressed the Geforce 1080 FE throttling issue.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

There is no reason to think games wouldn't be optimized for Nvidia software when being ported over to PC, or that it's even necessary to do. Nvidia has shown great software prowess in getting full utilization of their chips. Further, Nvidia has already taken steps to mimic GCN design in Pascal.

It's just silly to think a company would bank on ported games being broken on Nvidia hardware and developers kneecapping themselves on sales to PC by releasing a game broken on the majority of PC user hardware.

No one said that games would be broken on Nvidia hardware, just that (most of) the games would work better and be designed for AMD hardware.

Anyway I just wanted to give some AMD optimism since people seem to think they are on their death bed. Right now things are geared towards high powered strong single-core performance but we seem to be reaching the physical limit in that department (citation needed).

If the next step is optimization for multiple cores then it's AMD who has the most progress and should be set up to succeed.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

tl;dw the 1080 FE default fan curve is capped very conservatively at 50-54% for noise reasons.
Making the card a bit louder fixes the thermal throttling that will inevitably come with heavy gaming loads.
Optionally if you make it even more louder, you can up the power limit and avoid the secondary power throttling.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 26, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

In the video he didn't even need to adjust the fan curve. Just upping the temp limit stopped the throttling completely.

This issue is blown way out proportion. It's not a fraction as bad as the 290x stock blower issues.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BurritoJustice posted:

In the video he didn't even need to adjust the fan curve. Just upping the temp limit stopped the throttling completely.

This issue is blown way out proportion. It's not a fraction as bad as the 290x stock blower issues.

Lol yeah raising the temp cap to allow 2-4 more degrees eliminated all throttling even at the stock fan speed.

So nvidia will update the driver to increase fan speed a little to make the 83* throttle limit and no more limiting. Woopsies! Dumb to ship the test units this way but, as far as problems go its about a mild as it gets.

And this won't matter at all for aftermarket cards like we all guessed.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

sauer kraut posted:

tl;dw the 1080 FE default fan curve is capped very conservatively at 50-54% for noise reasons.
Making the card a bit louder fixes the thermal throttling that will inevitably come with heavy gaming loads.
He said later in the video he didn't bench it in a case so his results are actually the best case possible scenario. I think some others did in case benches and their results were much worse.

FWIW I thought the 290/X reference HSF issue was overblown too so I don't see this as a big deal, especially since Nvidia's reference HSF fan is actually not too bad unless you get it much over 70%. It is interesting however to see how many people are willing to give Nvidia a pass on this when they were in a rush to slam the 290/X big time over a similar issue.

The bigger annoyance to me here is that Nvidia wants to charge a premium for this card and I don't see how that makes much sense at all. Even if you really want a 1080 it seems like its stupid not to wait for a 3rd party AIB card with a better HSF and possibly a significantly lower price too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It is interesting however to see how many people are willing to give Nvidia a pass on this when they were in a rush to slam the 290/X big time over a similar issue.
It's okay to state the obvious sometimes (nvidia fanboys)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Optionally if you make it even more louder, you can up the power limit and avoid the secondary power throttling.

Jesus its the 560Ti's overheat issue all over again lol. At least this time it may be a driver correctable cap since you can manually move the fans above the 50% mark.

On the 560Ti's I had, the fans didn't go above 50% at all until you loaded an uncapped bios onto them. Stupidest crap ever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It is interesting however to see how many people are willing to give Nvidia a pass on this when they were in a rush to slam the 290/X big time over a similar issue.

Because the 290X issue actually showed up in the benchmarks websites were running, so everyone was all "Waaaaah! Thermal throttling!" Vice the 1080, where only a few select places are reporting on it because they actually bothered to benchmark in a case for more than the 5 minutes a single run of 3DMark takes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The solution continues to be "Don't Buy a Founders Edition"

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DrDork posted:

only a few select places are reporting on it because they actually bothered to benchmark in a case for more than the 5 minutes a single run of 3DMark takes.
Initially yeah but now the information is starting to get more widespread and other reviewers are putting their opinion out there like in the video posted a bit ago. Its not a exposure issue anymore.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

He said later in the video he didn't bench it in a case so his results are actually the best case possible scenario. I think some others did in case benches and their results were much worse.

FWIW I thought the 290/X reference HSF issue was overblown too so I don't see this as a big deal, especially since Nvidia's reference HSF fan is actually not too bad unless you get it much over 70%. It is interesting however to see how many people are willing to give Nvidia a pass on this when they were in a rush to slam the 290/X big time over a similar issue.

The bigger annoyance to me here is that Nvidia wants to charge a premium for this card and I don't see how that makes much sense at all. Even if you really want a 1080 it seems like its stupid not to wait for a 3rd party AIB card with a better HSF and possibly a significantly lower price too.

A 3 degree change to full speed ahead is nothing at all like 290x blower issue. It didn't even change the fan speed. And im not sure what you mean by it being given a pass since its obviously not.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Supposedly this is a benchmark of an AIB Galax card at 2500mhz. The poster said wait for computex, according to someone

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1592426-1-1.html

Wonder what type of cooling they are using

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Supposedly this is a benchmark of an AIB Galax card at 2500mhz. The poster said wait for computex, according to someone

Whatever it is, it's very effective!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
0 degrees, probably uses at least 4 fans imo

(probably nitrogen based on mhz)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Liquid unicorn horn, platinum edition with custom rainbow color additives.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Insane Clown Mascot Green Goop Cooler

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm just waiting for a dual phase cooling GPU. -40c aaaaw yeah

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

A 3 degree change to full speed ahead is nothing at all like 290x blower issue. It didn't even change the fan speed. And im not sure what you mean by it being given a pass since its obviously not.
He had to up the temp limit 9C to 92C from 83C and increased the power limit to 120% to get that 3C change. He also had to increase the fan to 80% in order to keep temps at 80C at peak boost too. Again on a open bench which he states is best scenario possible and will probably be worse in a closed case scenario.

FWIW usually increasing the fan 5-10% "fixed" any 290/X throttling issues. Now the ref. AMD HSF was and is louder than the ref. NV HSF but it wasn't anywhere near as bad of an issue as people presented it as. And I've also already said I don't think this will be any bigger of an issue for NV but I also didn't think it was a big deal for AMD either but plenty sure went out of their way to post as if it was.

And it sure does seem as if NV is getting a pass on this. Only a relative few sites have brought it up at all even after doing testing. Its only starting to get brought up more frequently now, nowhere near the shitAMD caught from almost day 1 from big sites like Anandtech.

edit: I can't tell if you're suggesting NV bought reviews or just being smarmy. Both?\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 26, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wow, it's almost like nVidia has a bigger PR budget/staff.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Could be the fact that we just don't have any cards besides review units out in the wild yet so anyone will grab anything for details/clicks/content/whatever and run with it. Luckily this one is generally minor and running with stock fan profiles is for suckers anyways.

The OC Bios tweaks though sound promising and easy enough however. 2.5Ghz is pretty impressive. Jeeze I remember OC'ing my Voodoo Banshee and putting it up another 25Mhz was a big deal back in that day lol. Same for my Geforce 2 MX for another 50 or 75mhz. Was enough to get me a few more frames in Giants Citizens Kabuto.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So AIDA64 developers released a list of PCI Devices used by Nvidia for the full Pascal lineup.

https://www.facebook.com/AIDA64/posts/1279431795419258?__mref=message_bubble

WCCFTech broke it down to specific GPUs to make it easier to comprehend.

There are going to be 11 GP102 devices according to AIDA64. Which everyone is assuming is going to be the Titan/1080 Ti processor.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://videocardz.com/60253/amd-radeon-r9-480-3dmark11-benchmarks

Salt heavily, folks. Writer acknowledges that they're putting out unverifiable information by commenter demand.

AMD Polaris 67DF:C7 - Theoretical 480X
AMD Polaris 67DF:C4 - Theoretical 480

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 26, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

He had to up the temp limit 9C to 92C from 83C and increased the power limit to 120% to get that 3C change. He also had to increase the fan to 80% in order to keep temps at 80C at peak boost too. Again on a open bench which he states is best scenario possible and will probably be worse in a closed case scenario.

FWIW usually increasing the fan 5-10% "fixed" any 290/X throttling issues. Now the ref. AMD HSF was and is louder than the ref. NV HSF but it wasn't anywhere near as bad of an issue as people presented it as. And I've also already said I don't think this will be any bigger of an issue for NV but I also didn't think it was a big deal for AMD either but plenty sure went out of their way to post as if it was.

And it sure does seem as if NV is getting a pass on this. Only a relative few sites have brought it up at all even after doing testing. Its only starting to get brought up more frequently now, nowhere near the shitAMD caught from almost day 1 from big sites like Anandtech.

edit: I can't tell if you're suggesting NV bought reviews or just being smarmy. Both?\/\/\/\/\/

All he had to do was increase the temperature limit, it never actually went to 93. Increasing the power target was just opening it up to allow it to get as hot as it wanted but it didn't use even a fraction of that boost and wouldn't have changed the fact that all it needed 4 degrees more headroom. If the power target was untouched it'd just stick to the original boost value that was like a tiny bit slower.

This is just not very comparable to me.. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like the reference card at all. Nobody reputable is being overly nice to these cards because the numbers are the numbers, they are smoking everything on the market ... Because its the first thing on the market that's stomping everything . if AMD released a card that performed exactly like the 1080 nothing would be any different except added jubilation AMD released a sweet rear end card. But they haven't , and there's no reason to fault any review I've seen so far for being happy about a card that is simply better than everything else.

Yes throttling sucks but its plainly shown that increasing fan speed to reduce the temps a few degrees solves it and they certainly will release a driver that does exactly that. And it won't sound like an vacuum cleaner, which is the only serious criticism about 290 reference blowers "fixing" throttling as they were actually ridiculous

Anyway its just further proof not to get reference blowers without good reason

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MSRP $199-$249 for R9 480. :pray:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow, it's almost like nVidia has a bigger PR budget/staff.

It's not so much "they have a bigger PR budget" but more along the lines of "they have a budget"

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is just not very comparable to me..
I could quibble on details for a while but I'd rather just say I'll disagree in general with you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Source aside, here are alleged pictures of eVGA and Gigabyte's non-FE cards: http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-evga-geforce-gtx-1080-custom-models/

It seems most of the custom cards might be coming with 8+6 connectors, as the case is made that 2x8 is a waste. I'm guessing MSI's Lightning and the ~Kingp1n~ cards might be the only ones that might come with 2x8.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 26, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They do not. That would be monopolistic and just asking for another lawsuit. And this time, it would be courtesy of the US government, and nobody wants that, not even AMD.

How is it monopolistic giving your competition money to stay in business so you're not the only one in town thus inadvertently becoming a monopoly?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

How is it monopolistic giving your competition money to stay in business so you're not the only one in town thus inadvertently becoming a monopoly?

Because giving handouts to your only competition basically proves the point that they're not really competition, since they need handouts in the first place. At that point you're just trying to prop up fake competition to not appear to be a monopoly, which I think actually earns you bonus charges from the Feds.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I could quibble on details for a while but I'd rather just say I'll disagree in general with you.

Yeah I just have this out of control 290 screaming in my head and a (relatively) quiet 1080 that needs a 10% bump in fan curve to function. But I've only seen one of these two things so ... I guess I should stop trying to defend something I haven't seen nor care about really lol

we disagree a lot pc load letter :cheeky:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Source aside, here are alleged pictures of eVGA and Gigabyte's non-FE cards: http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-evga-geforce-gtx-1080-custom-models/

What the gently caress is up with that Windforce one? "Hey, I heard you guys like fans so we put fans on the fans for our fans!"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

DrDork posted:

What the gently caress is up with that Windforce one? "Hey, I heard you guys like fans so we put fans on the fans for our fans!"

Xtreme ... :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Embargoing info on aftermarket cards until after the FE launch is total BS.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, but at least they obviously exist now. That was a serious worry for me for a while there.

edit: Lol my 980ti someone bought $490 on Amazon arrives today. I hope they don't actually look up GPU news

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You did 18% better than the median price, and $180 more than the panic sales, which will resume when the 1070 is released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Gotta get those sales to suckers some how.