Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've been improving with Winston and want to actually git gud with him

Point me to good video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lowered my sensitivity, definitely going to take getting used to. I keep wanting to pick up my mouse and recenter it on my mousepad and doing 360's is frustrating.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Minrad posted:

Anubis Point B is probably the best designed control point in the game

agree/disagree?

the left wall removal did so much for it

All my most intense "holy poo poo I can't believe we captured that/defended it" have always been anubis b

Probably, yeah. Anubis is a very good map.

Conversely, gently caress Hanamura. That map is so incredibly biased towards the defending team, on both points. On A the entire team has to go through one single choke point within sight of the point, and on B the point is so open its impossible to get to it without the entire defending team being able to see you coming.

Point A really badly needs the side alleys on both the right and left to connect to the buildings on the other side of the big door, and I don't even know what you'd have to do to make point B less unforgiving. It isn't completely insurmountable but it's really rough.

I really enjoy every other map in the game but I am never happy to see Hanamura start loading up, it's always a slog.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

I think earlier in the stream he said the only two characters he thinks are op are widowmaker and Lucio. Not exactly the same question but I think in general he thinks the game is pretty well balanced

speed boost is just so drat good at everything that im amazed only lucio has it, the aoe heal in deathball fights is almost as good and that's saying something. be awesome if there was a medal for "time saved for allies running places."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Minrad posted:

Anubis Point B is probably the best designed control point in the game

agree/disagree?

the left wall removal did so much for it

All my most intense "holy poo poo I can't believe we captured that/defended it" have always been anubis b
The last point of King's Row for me always feels good to hold it

breaks
May 12, 2001

Elderbean posted:

Lowered my sensitivity, definitely going to take getting used to. I keep wanting to pick up my mouse and recenter it on my mousepad and doing 360's is frustrating.

Try to give it a solid go, it takes a little getting used to getting your elbow involved if you've been on a wrist-only sensitivity. But if you really hate it and you don't have a super competitive mentality, don't be too afraid to change it back. It is better, but it's not the be all and end all of being good at the game or whatever.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

mcvey posted:

Get a big mousepad(qck+ is like $15) and it's no problem if you have the space.

Or get a better mousepad called the Puretrak Talent. (don't buy the white one)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so a long time ago I was wondering how to stop being bad at aiming and people told me to drop my sensitivity which made sense to me because I had set it up to insane levels in every game, mostly because I played a lot of Hammerfight and if your sensitivity is low that game is literally unplayable so I was used to minute movements sending my cursor flying across the entire screen

I set my sensitivity way way down and it felt unbearably slow and I hated it but I powered through and kept at it and eventually got used to it only to discover that my aim was still bad, and that the reason was because I sucked

what I'm saying is that your sensitivity is probably fine and the best way to get better at aiming is to stop loving with your settings and practice until you suck less with those settings

you should turn mouse acceleration off though because that will actually make your aim suck

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, we got wiped by a premade. At 99% overtime for us, second point, I called out a Mei ult, TOLD people to wait for my ult to get on the point, I throw the ult and...welp. Then we lost.

(how do I know it was premade? Double McCree, double Lucio, Zarya and Widowmaker)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Any colorblind goons have the secret to these color options? I played with them a bit and it seems like my options are:
- squint at nearly invisible red text against dark blue sky
- have visible text, but the game world is psychedelic garbage rainbow-barfing-unicorn land

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Han Nehi posted:

Any colorblind goons have the secret to these color options? I played with them a bit and it seems like my options are:
- squint at nearly invisible red text against dark blue sky
- have visible text, but the game world is psychedelic garbage rainbow-barfing-unicorn land

I'm colourblind but a rather tame variety, so I don't use any of the options there. It would probably depend on your particular type of colourblindness though; have you ever had a proper test done to check which one you have?

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I've started playing as Symmetra for like the first half of some maps on defense and I'm finding her to be pretty good for keeping up the pressure with a teleporter.

She can really drain HP if you can stay locked on on someone without dying.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sporadicsarcasm posted:

I've started playing as Symmetra for like the first half of some maps on defense and I'm finding her to be pretty good for keeping up the pressure with a teleporter.

She can really drain HP if you can stay locked on on someone without dying.

I think I remember someone from Blizzard saying that having a Symmetra boosted a teams chance of winning more than any other character.

She's amazing in the right situations. RMB is great for spamming at Reinhardt rectangles, and with LMB she's more deadly at close range than all but a few heroes. And fools will walk into turrets forever.

That being said, she's almost completely worthless on offense, not very good on second points, and some heroes like Winston completely shut down her turrets. Plus she's in support, but is no replacement for a healing class.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Section Z posted:

"This place has a lot of rooftops! I'll pick Phara instead of 76 on defense!"

*Discovers someone has lubed up every gentle slope in Mexic."

These sloped roofs are great for Pharah as you can slide along most of them long enough to get your main jump ability back up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My 33% hit rate Soldier 76 is putting in work, why is it so fun to play the stupid Marine Guyman class, it's super fun.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
You know that feeling when you are playing as Mercy and get sniped and then spawn only to hear Junkrat unleash his ult as your entire team is standing on the point?

pubbies.txt :smith:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone also having issues switching weapons with torbjorn? I can mash 2 all day, but it wont switch off his main gun sometimes.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Here are some things I've learned over the past few days:

1. It's kinda pointless trying to heal most pubbie teams. They run every whichaway and die die die.
2. It's sometimes OK to play Reinhart in pubbie teams. About 40% of the time they'll form up ranks behind you and actually try to do objectives.
3. It's never too late to lose on a pubbie team. Once victory is within reach a lot of them will suddenly go WHEE across the map, splitting up and creating opportunity for comebacks.

It feels like I'm facing a lot more organized teams tonight, which is an exercise in frustration when I'm playing with randos. Time to play with goons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

gnome7 posted:

Probably, yeah. Anubis is a very good map.

Conversely, gently caress Hanamura. That map is so incredibly biased towards the defending team, on both points. On A the entire team has to go through one single choke point within sight of the point, and on B the point is so open its impossible to get to it without the entire defending team being able to see you coming.

Point A really badly needs the side alleys on both the right and left to connect to the buildings on the other side of the big door, and I don't even know what you'd have to do to make point B less unforgiving. It isn't completely insurmountable but it's really rough.

I really enjoy every other map in the game but I am never happy to see Hanamura start loading up, it's always a slog.

On the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dDfUk_F3u0

The trick is to play against a team so bad they won't even run back to stop the backcap.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gameko posted:

1. It's kinda pointless trying to heal most pubbie teams. They run every whichaway and die die die.
2. It's sometimes OK to play Reinhart in pubbie teams. About 40% of the time they'll form up ranks behind you and actually try to do objectives.
3. It's never too late to lose on a pubbie team. Once victory is within reach a lot of them will suddenly go WHEE across the map, splitting up and creating opportunity for comebacks.

It feels like I'm facing a lot more organized teams tonight, which is an exercise in frustration when I'm playing with randos. Time to play with goons.

The worst is when you get 1 and 3 at the same time by having your Lucio ult ready to make that final push and no matter how many times you push Z they all wander off to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm not saying I'm great at Overwatch because oh my god I am not but having that happen multiple times has been a bummer parade.

Edit: Are there cool goons to play with at pretty much all hours? I'd love to have some marginally more coordinated games but I'm in a weird time zone and I have a baby so I imagine I'm not around at peak hours.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 26, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hanamura games and whatever that Iran map is are always terrible

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nativity In Black posted:

You know that feeling when you are playing as Mercy and get sniped and then spawn only to hear Junkrat unleash his ult as your entire team is standing on the point?

pubbies.txt :smith:

I feel like people aren't super aware of the ult calls yet. Can't really ask people that without sounding passive-aggressive so I just kinda hope my team does and the 4-man wipe to McCree was just bad luck. Molten Core and Tactical Visor are the worst ones in terms of how good they are x how fast people react to them. If I hear MOL-TEN CORE! I just gently caress off for a bit and try to corner-fire someone.

Gameko posted:

1 is why I like Lúcio over Mercy on solo queue. You can actually do poo poo as Lúcio and get to your teammates instead of getting stranded and dying. 2 usually "works" in payload maps. If you're trying to do Rein in attack/defense or KOTH, nope, not happening. 3 is just a sad fact of life. All you need is a wipe, really, and people are back on the game.

I like to bitch a lot about pubbies but I'm having fun, when pubbies are super frustrating I just play something that'll definitely lose us the game to get some practice.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Dias posted:

I feel like people aren't super aware of the ult calls yet. Can't really ask people that without sounding passive-aggressive so I just kinda hope my team does and the 4-man wipe to McCree was just bad luck. Molten Core and Tactical Visor are the worst ones in terms of how good they are x how fast people react to them. If I hear MOL-TEN CORE! I just gently caress off for a bit and try to corner-fire someone.

There's a lot to take in for this game. I died twice tonight to DVA Ults that I swear I didn't hear the audio callouts for. I'm still pretty bad at the game but I hope I can reach a point where reacting to audio cues is more second nature.

Dias posted:

I like to bitch a lot about pubbies but I'm having fun, when pubbies are super frustrating I just play something that'll definitely lose us the game to get some practice.

Yeah, I try too hard to support the team when it's obvious we're completely outmatched. I should try out some different classes and explore the maps more. Overwatch is a lot of fun and there's a lot to do. I need to work on spatial awareness and understanding the counter game better.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think all the raving about Lucio is getting him a little overrated and folks are diving into really really really really dumb situations with him thinking of all the goonsay.txt poo poo about how good he is. Yeah, he's good, but if you are seeing the enemy team focusing your tank to the exclusion of all else maybe you are going to need the better single-target healing from Mercy so that your tank can soak up enough damage to serve as a proper tank for your team. Granted, switching heroes to adapt to the realities of the fight is a pretty important part of the game, but if your tank or your healer is the only person willing to switch (and nobody else is a healer, and nobody else wants to tank) there's a problem with the players in blue, not the ones in red.

Pubbies are garbage, but poo poo a lot of goons have managed to be completely new at this game too and while it can get a little frustrating slamming your dick in the "everyone is mei or soldier except you and you can't be both tank and healer at all times so well you can't even cap Numbani A" garage door, it's probably going to help everyone out to a) provide helpful, clear advice over voice chat including announcing when you need healing or when you see flankers and b) just leaving and finding another group if you're getting steamrolled because what little MMR data they have is probably throwing the outputs wildly off and resulting in your team of babby heroes getting dumped into a match of people who played in their premade clique every day of the beta from getting off the school bus to mom delivering the nuggets for dinner.

Fake edit: also, sometimes waiting for everyone to spawn is a loving terrible idea, mostly in KOTH maps because that percentage ticks up nonstop. If you've got 3 up and 3 down just fight conservatively around the point until everyone else is back. Don't sit in spawn and let them castle themselves in on the point, get in there and keep them mobile. Your grenades or rockets or bullets could mean the difference between winning in OT and losing in OT because they managed to get all camped up in a corner.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zorodius posted:

have you tweaked your mouse settings? got a mouse with a decent sensor, mouse acceleration turned off, claw grip, that kind of thing? are you pre-aiming, so your crosshair is pretty much lined up before you go around the corner? if you have a shoulder injury you'd probably want to go for wrist control and hence a higher sensitivity, but still low as you're comfortable with
I've tried! Really. Got a good mouse, gently caress acceleration, but any settings where I can actually get good control I can't actually keep up with anyone moving around. I'm pretty sure I just don't have the reflexes to meaningfully play a game like this anymore (especially since I was average at best to begin with...), and that's okay. Well, except for feeling like poo poo because I really want to play it...

I'll give it a try again in a few weeks and hopefully everyone who's good is off doing ranked stuff so I slum around incompetently with scrub trash. Or try and rope enough equally old and incompetent friends into private matches! :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cock hero flux posted:

you should turn mouse acceleration off though because that will actually make your aim suck

Isn't it disabled by default in Overwatch even if you have it enabled in Windows?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

checkplease posted:

Anyone also having issues switching weapons with torbjorn? I can mash 2 all day, but it wont switch off his main gun sometimes.

I bound weapon switch to mousewheel, it helps.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

I think all the raving about Lucio is getting him a little overrated and folks are diving into really really really really dumb situations with him thinking of all the goonsay.txt poo poo about how good he is. Yeah, he's good, but if you are seeing the enemy team focusing your tank to the exclusion of all else maybe you are going to need the better single-target healing from Mercy so that your tank can soak up enough damage to serve as a proper tank for your team. Granted, switching heroes to adapt to the realities of the fight is a pretty important part of the game, but if your tank or your healer is the only person willing to switch (and nobody else is a healer, and nobody else wants to tank) there's a problem with the players in blue, not the ones in red.

Pubbies are garbage, but poo poo a lot of goons have managed to be completely new at this game too and while it can get a little frustrating slamming your dick in the "everyone is mei or soldier except you and you can't be both tank and healer at all times so well you can't even cap Numbani A" garage door, it's probably going to help everyone out to a) provide helpful, clear advice over voice chat including announcing when you need healing or when you see flankers and b) just leaving and finding another group if you're getting steamrolled because what little MMR data they have is probably throwing the outputs wildly off and resulting in your team of babby heroes getting dumped into a match of people who played in their premade clique every day of the beta from getting off the school bus to mom delivering the nuggets for dinner.

Fake edit: also, sometimes waiting for everyone to spawn is a loving terrible idea, mostly in KOTH maps because that percentage ticks up nonstop. If you've got 3 up and 3 down just fight conservatively around the point until everyone else is back. Don't sit in spawn and let them castle themselves in on the point, get in there and keep them mobile. Your grenades or rockets or bullets could mean the difference between winning in OT and losing in OT because they managed to get all camped up in a corner.

Mercy is a better Attack/Defend healer, but the reason why we talk a lot about Lúcio is that if you're not grouping with competent people, what's gonna happen more often than not is you'll be healing pixies or a tank by its lonesome while nothing happens and your team gets mowed down by turrets while you're sniped down or ganked by Reapers. I like him better in Payload and KOTH too, although in the second I kinda wish we also had a Mercy very often.

And "wait for the team" isn't WAIT IN THE SPAWN WITH YOUR rear end IN PLACE UNTIL EVERYONE SPAWNS. It's "don't push into the point/enemies without the rest of the team". Sometimes you have to do that too, because of OT, but engaging safely is a smart idea if you're healthy. It's just that you get WAY too many unwinnable Egypt/Hanamuras where everyone walks straight into bullets one by one and then bitch about Bastion.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've had a lot of luck solo-queueing support with Lucio and especially Symmetra. For pub games, the teleporter might actually be more useful than rez. If you've got people getting picked off one at a time rather than having entire pushes fail, having a short hop back to the fight solves some of the issues with feeding one runner at a time into the point for entire games. It's sort of a solution for one of the biggest issues with pubs. It negates one of the big downsides to lack of communication.

And Lucio is basically unkillable compared with Mercy in pub games. People tend to treat you like Tracer, and don't even bother trying to shoot you, leaving you free to Pump it Up every time someone goes critical. Speed boost is better than heal when you get in a hairy spot, it's not just for pushing out of spawn.

I'm 12-5 with Lucio and 6-0 with Symmetra, strictly solo-queueing (though the Symmetra is likely helped by defense being easier in pub games, and I only choose her on defense).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Guys is there ever gonna be map making tools or anything?

Cuz if I can't play a version of this at some point or another I'm not gonna get it. I'd also see this game dying in like a year and a half tops without any form of user content.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah Lucio is amazing

crabf
May 29, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gco3JD6J85g
this amazing play brought to you by some friend of mine

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The lack of community servers and mapping tools is gonna hurt this game in the long run

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you arent allowed to mod games anymore, it's against the law

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
This game is super fun, but the amount of times my team loses to disorganized scrubs playing Hanzo, Genji, Bastion, Dva, and Torbjorn is disheartening. The best laid plans and communication are thrown at the window with dragons that go through walls.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

crabf posted:

I teamwipe a team as Symmetra orbs/gun/turret and the PotG is a reaper left clicking two dudes for 4 damage each at 200 meters.

I've had one PotG at all so far and it was me hooking an ulting McCree into a hole. And nothing else.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

crabf posted:

Still better than a Junkrat tyre. Took more skill too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dias posted:

My usual response to hearing a revving tire is usually to say "I better move so I don't get hit by Junkrat's Ult!"

Then I stumble right into it (Up to and including if I flee to a rooftop), but end up it's only victim instead of my clustered together team nearby. Call it a win?

I'm also learning fast that to dodge Hanzo's Ult, just dodging the dragon's isn't enough, I guess? "Hah! The dragons are nowhere near me-Oh I died? Maybe it's the whole tube the dragon's spiral through that's the kill zone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dias posted:

Mercy is a better Attack/Defend healer, but the reason why we talk a lot about Lúcio is that if you're not grouping with competent people, what's gonna happen more often than not is you'll be healing pixies or a tank by its lonesome while nothing happens and your team gets mowed down by turrets while you're sniped down or ganked by Reapers. I like him better in Payload and KOTH too, although in the second I kinda wish we also had a Mercy very often.

And "wait for the team" isn't WAIT IN THE SPAWN WITH YOUR rear end IN PLACE UNTIL EVERYONE SPAWNS. It's "don't push into the point/enemies without the rest of the team". Sometimes you have to do that too, because of OT, but engaging safely is a smart idea if you're healthy. It's just that you get WAY too many unwinnable Egypt/Hanamuras where everyone walks straight into bullets one by one and then bitch about Bastion.

:agreed: but even Lucio needs a team who is going to take advantage of the heals while also doing useful things in the map. Just following a team of imbeciles around and healing them in their idiocy isn't going to get any more done than pocketing a sniper.