Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grimgor is level 24. :negative:

About 200 halberdiers managed to bring him down.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

OKAY chaos campaign; WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?! It's been 5 restarts. 5 RESTARTS! And no amount of getting good with Kolek ever helps me when i get cornered because i only have one army. And when i do try to make an army the game decides " not today chump" and isolates my new stack as soon as it can. Every time start to get momentum i feel like its to little to late. Goddamn this is hard mode. I like the challenge but i also don't like how i don't seem to go anywhere.

Anyone got some good tips for chaos?

Give the Blood God what he wants.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hey Empire-ers: the key to winning is keeping your lords alive. Your lords get a skill that gives +15 melee attack and melee defense to swords/spears/halberdiers in their army forever. You can start dumping points into it at level 3.

Greatswords have :

100 Armour
30 Melee attack
28 Melee defense
70 leadership
32 Weapon strength
+Armored
+Armor-piercing

Costs 950 to make
For 237 upkeep
And require a Level 3 Barracks plus a Blacksmith

Swordsmen have:

30 Armour
32 Melee attack (+15 from the bonus)
30 Melee defense (+15 from the bonus)
60 leadership
28 Weapon Strength
+Shielded

Costs 400 to make
100 Upkeep
Requires Level 1 barracks.

Without going into further upgrades, swordsmen are actually really loving good with that skill, especially compared to the Greatswords. Swordsmen are cheap, quick to make, only require a level 1 barracks, and are pretty much on par with the greatswords. They tie dudes up and outperform any other melee infantry with ease, and assuredly out-value them. If you want armor-piercing or anti-large, go for halberds or spear/shields since they both get the same +atk/def bonus.

Long and short of it, state troops are great and I recommend everyone invest in 2 full stacks of them instead of 1 stack of "elite" units that, frankly, aren't that much better. And since money is actually kind of hard to deal with in this game, value is key. The armour really doesn't make much of a difference, since the things that'll kill your dudes aren't other infantry in any case.

Honestly I thought Empire was the worst, but really they're first. Empire throws bodies at problems far better than any other race and they don't rely on fanciful magic to get it done. If anything Empire magic units are poo poo; Swordsmen don't gently caress around.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So as Sylvania I kicked over the Empire's sandcastle and allied with Middenland to keep them down, figuring that running practically all of the empire between us (especially once I finish crushing the last few free Electors in the south) would be plenty.

Now the entire northern half of the former imperial lands have been burned to the ground. :ohdear:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So as Sylvania I kicked over the Empire's sandcastle and allied with Middenland to keep them down, figuring that running practically all of the empire between us (especially once I finish crushing the last few free Electors in the south) would be plenty.

Now the entire northern half of the former imperial lands have been burned to the ground. :ohdear:

You mean the entire northern half is ripe for the taking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, next thing annoying me is how difficult it is to catch enemy stacks. There's chaos dudes about to sack the moot that I've been chasing since Oakland.

Yup they started north of Talabheim and razed the moot with 2 armies trying to block them. Does the AI really get to attack on forced match stance?

Yeah somebody posted about this earlier but I hadn't experienced too much of it, but I just had a full on Benny Hill run-around with an enemy stack which was goddamned ridiculous. Sit still you bastards and fight me!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

You mean the entire northern half is ripe for the taking.

Yeah, once I polish off Averland I'm going to have a go at committing All The Things northward.

Mannfred von Carstein, savior of cattle humanity.

Edit: pretty sure that Egarl Deathmetal is personally responsible for the obliteration of Super Middenheim. This is going to be an interesting plot battle. :v:

Double edit: Middenland has been obliterated! There is nothing left apart from the echoing laughter of thirsting gods. They clung on to life for like fifteen turns with zero provinces, guess Herr Deathmetal finally found their last army.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 26, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah the northern electors didn't get their poo poo together to fight chaos for me either. Doesn't help that the Norse armies are composed entirely of Olympic champion long distance runners.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Agent spam and teleporting death stacks are basically my only complaints so far.

And maybe that Slayers suck rear end, but Im going to assume I just dont know how to use them properly and that theyre actually fine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Honestly I thought Empire was the worst, but really they're first. Empire throws bodies at problems far better than any other race and they don't rely on fanciful magic to get it done. If anything Empire magic units are poo poo; Swordsmen don't gently caress around.

You're right, but not just in this case. This game (for the most part, super and oddball units aside) does pretty well in keeping your "Fodder" still somewhat decent through upgrades.

A cap for "Super" units and maybe even the purposefully-rare elites in campaign would be pretty logical. Wonder if thats still a moddable thing?

Also keep in mind, that Armor Piercing is gonna make a BIG difference once you start seeing heavier troops. Those little special bonuses matter a fuckton.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, once I polish off Averland I'm going to have a go at committing All The Things northward.

Mannfred von Carstein, savior of cattle humanity.

Vampires do well against Chaos because Chaos has a lovely habit of sneaking past your main army, it's very annoying. As Empire I just put up walls in every single town I settle ever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does the no agent spam mod still let the AI use wizards in its battles? If not that would suck.

Anyway, yes, for people having trouble with armies sneaking past and sacking stuff, ambush stance is your solution. AI armies can and will double back and go for 'undefended' provinces. Your ambushes don't have to even succeed to leave their armies totally out of position.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

Does the no agent spam mod still let the AI use wizards in its battles? If not that would suck.

Anyway, yes, for people having trouble with armies sneaking past and sacking stuff, ambush stance is your solution. AI armies can and will double back and go for 'undefended' provinces. Your ambushes don't have to even succeed to leave their armies totally out of position.

Notes say that Embed Hero and Assist Province are still in play.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, the mod only disables hostile agent actions for the AI. They're still allowed to show up in battle and cast spells. Honestly it's wouldn't be a big loss if they locked them for the player too, the agent actions are way too powerful on the campaign map. You can remove walls, kill generals and fart up your opponents' core provinces. It's just hugely beneficial to spam agents right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Arglebargle III posted:

Chaos Guys are amazing joggers god drat.

AEROBICS FOR THE AEROBICS GOD :black101:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the northern electors didn't get their poo poo together to fight chaos for me either. Doesn't help that the Norse armies are composed entirely of Olympic champion long distance runners.

They're never really going to - they're too fragmented to really put up any kind of resistance to the Norse/Chaos stacks when they show up. They're mainly there to provide a speed bump that gives you a few turns to get YOUR poo poo together so your armies aren't out in the rear end end of nowhere when chaos comes knocking.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah somebody posted about this earlier but I hadn't experienced too much of it, but I just had a full on Benny Hill run-around with an enemy stack which was goddamned ridiculous. Sit still you bastards and fight me!

I failed a quest to beat a rival lord in battle because of the Benny Hill poo poo. Its really dumb and rather annoying.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

William Bear posted:

Also just realized today that Chaos Dwarfs are already in game: they're the crew of Hellcannons.

Nice horns.

fuckin called it

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Empire start, on normal, and some god drat orks show up while I'm getting the tutorial tasks to stop the successionists. I end up chasing an ork group around while Bretonnia comes and takes all of the successionists towns before I can and then the orks make the peasants of Altdorf riot. What the gently caress game, it's on normal.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I didn''t know that AI ignored ZoC, could attack while in march and retreat while in it. That pretty much explains why I'm totally unable to catch ironhide has he roams around with literally five or six units in his stack killing all my small towns.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
what the AI does is change to normal stance, do its attacks, then change to forced march to get the last bit of movement out

it could be fixed better by a mod that doesn't let you change to forced march when you move at all at the start of the turn or make the extra movement points dependent on movement points remaining or whatever. right now you might as well just have a constant extra movement buff for all it matters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Archaon the Everchosen saw my armies descending to, ironically, lift the siege of Altdorf and save the powerless Emperor, and offered me 2k cash to go the gently caress away and let his thugs burn it down. :v:

I respectfully declined to acquiesce to his request.

And now my Level Umpteen banshee is about to punch a hole in the walls and let the nightmares in to protect the Emperor from his enemies, forever. You brought this on yourself, Chaz.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 26, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Archaon the Everchosen saw my armies descending to, ironically, lift the siege of Altdorf and save the powerless Emperor, and offered me 2k cash to go the gently caress away and let his thugs burn it down. :v:

I respectfully declined to acquiesce to his request.

I need context. Were you vampires? If yes, you were simply fulfilling your duties as Count of Sylvannia and should remind the Electors (forcefully) of that fact when it is time to pick a new Emperor, for which you are a totally legit and legal candidate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I need context. Were you vampires? If yes, you were simply fulfilling your duties as Count of Sylvannia and should remind the Electors (forcefully) of that fact when it is time to pick a new Emperor, for which you are a totally legit and legal candidate.

I am definitely vampires and the skies of Altdorf are presently being patrolled helpfully by bats the size of Volkswagens.

Can't be too careful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Today I fought Dwarves as the VCs and solved that age old philosophical question that had plagued man and god alike: Can you stab a ghost?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am definitely vampires and the skies of Altdorf are presently being patrolled helpfully by bats the size of Volkswagens.

Can't be too careful.

It's just a shame Vladimir can't be around to see his dream of a Von Carstein Emperor realized, but legally you are his son and thus his heir and so all his poo poo goes to you.

Please take as good of care of the Empire as you have of Sylvannia and don't let those goddamn norsemen with their lutefisk and singsong accents and dark cthulhus back in.

(That's always been the funniest part of the VCs to me; they basically always had a legitimate claim to the throne to some degree and Vlad's defense that 'Yeah basically I'm just doing what everyone else is doing in the Time of Three Emperors' is actually totally true, just, you know, unholy undead.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what the AI does is change to normal stance, do its attacks, then change to forced march to get the last bit of movement out

it could be fixed better by a mod that doesn't let you change to forced march when you move at all at the start of the turn or make the extra movement points dependent on movement points remaining or whatever. right now you might as well just have a constant extra movement buff for all it matters.

Even the AI can't catch the AI though. My allies do the Benny Hill thing too. There's an East land army chasing Norse past Altdorf right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just got done with a 45 minute siege

three of my stacks and a Waagh stack sieged a fully leveled town + backup and the only artillery between any of us was a single doom-diver lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The "AI doesn't want to be caught" dance is pretty funny. I watched six stacks from 4 different factions literally run circles around my friend's horde and each other up north in a coop game for like 12 turns, with no one able to catch anyone.

Of course, in the same game, the Dwarfs rapidly confederated 3 other factions in the space of 10 turns and eradicated my Azhag start while I was engaged in a war with Karak Azul. :qq:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 26, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
anyways, vampire campaign is around turn, oh, 160ish? Figured I'd give a run down of how it went.

Early game was just faffiing about; beat up some empire blokes in the west, then took some Kislev provinces, then sacked Altdorf. I spent a lot of turns just building up to get better units available, which turned out to be a pretty good idea. Also built some higher level forts in the Kislev provinces, which was a really, really good idea.

The whole campaign against them had a real frustrating feel to it at first due to their numbers and overall strength, but it honestly feels worth it in the end, since it was a real different TW campaign style than I was used to. It was like the WW2 eastern front, which is appropriate since it took mostly place in Not Russia; I found the Chaos armies in major fight after major fight, and lost quite a few of them. I lost my Kislev regions despite the fort upgrades, and stack gaurding the inside, but afterwards I was able to temporally drive them back a bit for some breathing room. After that, I sorted out my armies, and got a real high tier death stack; Grave Guards with Terrorghiests and those big gently caress off crypt dudes, which could slog it out with the Chaos monsters fairly well, lead by a level 15 Vampire Lord whom I had stuck nothing but combat upgrades and my best gear on and ate Chaos Trolls for breakfast (like, he'd just loving kill one every swing of his sword, it was great to watch). Second stack was kind of a mix of utility monsters and some cavalry, for being good reinforcements. The last stack was the chaff stack, led by a Vamp Lord whom had been given the highest ranked bonuses to skeleton/zombie attack and whom lead an army of nothing but that; those bonuses given by those skills really made a difference in how long they could last before dying.

Chaos, for its part, razed pretty much all the Empire lands outside Slyvania to the dirt. I held Striland and it survived fairly well, although I lost a capital there, it blunted the Varn armies well enough that they never were able to push south too far. After the initial invasion got pushed out and I got my new armies up, the proper Chaos armies made a new push down through Kislev, and I fought them in around three gigantic battles; each victory was phyrric, but I was able to use Vampire bullshit to start pulling high tier monsters out of the dirt so after every battle I could run down the survivors and exterminate them, which is a pretty important task since otherwise they can recruit new fuckers too goddamn fast. Archeon himself kind of wandered in from the west after burning Altdorf to the earth and met his end to the second stack and some low bit vampire lord.

So yeah, tips for vampire players, in short: Vampire Lords are monsters in combat but picking up the skeleton/zombie buff skills is probably best for them. It is okay to lose all your guys in a fight because you can pick them up later. Proooobably really want to invest in those spooky ghosts since they are anti armor and chaos is all about armor all the loving time and I really, really wish I had been able to grab them during the whole end times bullshit.

After the Chaos dudes were gone, though, I haven't been in any more battles. There's pretty much nobody around to fight. Everything is goddamn ash. Down south, the Greenskins have mustered some ungodly huge army but aside from wanding through my land to eat poo poo from attrition, they didn't attack me or declare war or anything. The Empire still survives and took back Altdorf but I'm kind of waiting to attack them until the end since they are now my only loving trade partner since they really liked me for pretty much saving their rear end from the apocalypse. I've pretty much been playing Total Colonization right now, snapping up the northern empire and tripling my territory and earning enough income to maybe someday challenge the Greenskin horde before they decide to rampage through my lands. Been a real blast, and I haven't hit the point of typical end game doldrums at all in TW titles.

e: also raise dead is really lackluster magic. look guys i made a zombie unit watch as it disintegrates to a sick goblin :effort:

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 26, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm noticing the AI is always exactly out of reach.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ha the Ostmark guys finally chased down the Norse stack in the grey mountains.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm noticing the AI is always exactly out of reach.

It's very frustrating because Archaon and his bros poo poo out a LOT of chaos corruption which in turn causes attrition and public order penalties, despite the fact its a 300-man army and Archaon has 12 HP being chased by 2000-strong Karl.

e: Also theres no cheevo for razing all of Chaos as Empire but there is a cheevo for razing Karak-a-Karak? Ugh. All those people murdered by snowfall. :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think I'm supposed to be able to intercept in the under way as empire.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Night10194 posted:

It's just a shame Vladimir can't be around to see his dream of a Von Carstein Emperor realized, but legally you are his son and thus his heir and so all his poo poo goes to you.

Please take as good of care of the Empire as you have of Sylvannia and don't let those goddamn norsemen with their lutefisk and singsong accents and dark cthulhus back in.

(That's always been the funniest part of the VCs to me; they basically always had a legitimate claim to the throne to some degree and Vlad's defense that 'Yeah basically I'm just doing what everyone else is doing in the Time of Three Emperors' is actually totally true, just, you know, unholy undead.)

The absolute best mod on the Workshop right now changes Manfreds' name to Vlad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The absolute best mod on the Workshop right now changes Manfreds' name to Vlad.

It was me, Karl! It was me all along!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

OKAY chaos campaign; WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?! It's been 5 restarts. 5 RESTARTS! And no amount of getting good with Kolek ever helps me when i get cornered because i only have one army. And when i do try to make an army the game decides " not today chump" and isolates my new stack as soon as it can. Every time start to get momentum i feel like its to little to late. Goddamn this is hard mode. I like the challenge but i also don't like how i don't seem to go anywhere.

Anyone got some good tips for chaos?

I still figuring it out myself, but the first four skill points MUST go into the horde growth talent. Also it seems like you have to use your allied races as fodder in the diplomacy screen with war coordination.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turning off agents is fine but I have no idea what to do with Usain Bolt, Ever Chosen and his infinite half-stacks. They're no fun and the answer seems to be wall off every town and let my ally AI catch them near Altdorf.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

fuckin called it

I think they've been crewing the Hellcannons for like, the last 3 or 4 tabletop editions.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Empire start, on normal, and some god drat orks show up while I'm getting the tutorial tasks to stop the successionists. I end up chasing an ork group around while Bretonnia comes and takes all of the successionists towns before I can and then the orks make the peasants of Altdorf riot. What the gently caress game, it's on normal.

Made peace with the orks, thought I was smart. My ally made me go to war with the dwarves...wtf are those midget tanks. I had a bigger army than theirs but they mowed through it like it was grass. Attacking them from behind they flee for 20m then regroup and shoot at me again. When I made peace with them another human group destroyed Karl Franz with their horse army and 3 heroes...dangit "normal" why does the AI have all those sweet units while I just build up my towns after taking care of secessionist. Not sure if it's money I lack or good sense

• Locked thread