Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

Was it even supposed to be Saturn Girl? The closest I could figure was maybe Dream Girl. Why would Imra be thought crazy when she has a power that's super easy to demonstrate? "Huh, this chick says she knows Superman and she said it IN MY MIND. Nah, must be crazy!"

Dream Girl isn't as iconic of a member so it was probably Saturn Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I posted it in the other thread, but that got retconned out of existence by an evil entity from another universe, so here's my list of stuff I'm interested in:

Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Trinity
Deathstroke (maybe)
Blue Beetle

Not as much as other people, but it's seven more DC comics than I'm reading now. Shame about all the double-shipping, though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just finished it. I really enjoyed it. I'm so happy that pre-Flashpoint Wally is back. His Flash series was the first series I collected and he's always been my absolute favorite. I'm also glad the Legion is back!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

No, double shipping is not just double the comics you like a month. If it were that I'd have no problem with it. What it does is burn writers and artists out and it will, not may, lead to missed deadlines and fill ins. That's a guarantee not a possibility.
I think writer burnout is more of a possibility here. The majority of the double shipping books are already assigned to have at least two artists working on them, so they trade off on duties every other issue. Wonder Woman I think has the best strategy in this and Rucka already put Black Magick on hiatus in order to make more time to write it bi-monthly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I doubt it will last very long anyway. Batman was double-shipping for a while back in the day. I'm sure there's been other times too. The sheer number of double-shipping books is pretty insane though. Like who wants to read Cyborg or Deathstroke every two weeks?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
On the splash page at the end of REBIRTH why is Dick Grayson shown twice? He's standing on top of Killer Croc wearing his new 52 Robin Costume and then he's in front of himself wearing his Pre-Flashpoint Rightwing costume. Also on the far right next to the Blue Beetles is that Mon-El or Clone Superboy in a new costume?

Also some quick rebirth thoughts:

-I loving told y'all Wally was coming back! I also predicted the 3 jokers from 3 different earths twist based on that teaser image Geoff showed during the Rebirth live stream that showed a page of Batman surrounded by 3 Joker heads each representing different incarnations of the character.
-The Watchmen thing could be interesting or a sign that DC is completely out of ideas and is just throwing a last hail marry for a big sales boost so Didio can keep his job just a bit longer.
-Wally's new costume is 90s as gently caress. I kinda like it.
-How does taking "ten years" out of the DCU affect things like Huntress suddenly being black instead of white or
-Is this the first time we are seeing Ray Palmer as the Atom in the new 52 universe? In Frankenstein he was just a scientist who came up with technologies and he's the atom in that Future's End possible Future but I think this is the first time we are seeing him as the atom and it seems like he's just starting out.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

On the splash page at the end of REBIRTH why is Dick Grayson shown twice? He's standing on top of Killer Croc wearing his new 52 Robin Costume and then he's in front of himself wearing his Pre-Flashpoint Rightwing costume. Also on the far right next to the Blue Beetles is that Mon-El or Clone Superboy in a new costume?

That's Tim Drake in the Robin costume

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The one top of Killer Croc is actually Tim Drake back in his classic Robin costume as he appears in Detective Comics. Dick is in the Nightwing costume because he's Nightwing again. The other is the new Super-Man the Chinese Superman.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

The one top of Killer Croc is actually Tim Drake back in his classic Robin costume as he appears in Detective Comics. Dick is in the Nightwing costume because he's Nightwing again. The other is the new Super-Man the Chinese Superman.

oh ok cool. Is that Damage on the far left next to wally? I was thinking its either him or a badly drawn Maxwell Lord (Infinite Crisis version)

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I also just realized Pandora's death is a homage to Rorscachs death

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

oh ok cool. Is that Damage on the far left next to wally? I was thinking its either him or a badly drawn Maxwell Lord (Infinite Crisis version)

I think someone said it was Rick Flag.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
My major takeaway: gently caress YEAH LSH

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Also some quick rebirth thoughts:

-I loving told y'all Wally was coming back! I also predicted the 3 jokers from 3 different earths twist based on that teaser image Geoff showed during the Rebirth live stream that showed a page of Batman surrounded by 3 Joker heads each representing different incarnations of the character.
-The Watchmen thing could be interesting or a sign that DC is completely out of ideas and is just throwing a last hail marry for a big sales boost so Didio can keep his job just a bit longer.
-Wally's new costume is 90s as gently caress. I kinda like it.
-How does taking "ten years" out of the DCU affect things like Huntress suddenly being black instead of white or
-Is this the first time we are seeing Ray Palmer as the Atom in the new 52 universe? In Frankenstein he was just a scientist who came up with technologies and he's the atom in that Future's End possible Future but I think this is the first time we are seeing him as the atom and it seems like he's just starting out.

Huntress is what she always was, which is Italian, I think she's just being drawn swarthier than she used to be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know I don't complain about "Johnsian literalism" like a lot of the rest of the forum does, but I can not believe that Johns took something like Joker liking his origin "multiple choice" and actually making there be multiple loving Jokers. Otherwise I found Rebirth a perfectly serviceable comic. That scene where Wally couldn't make Linda Park remember him was actually kinda sad and well written.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

Huntress is what she always was, which is Italian, I think she's just being drawn swarthier than she used to be.
Yeah, the end of Grayson outright has her planning to go back to basics. She's leaving Spyral and plans to go mob killing before Batgirl and Black Canary recruit her into BOP.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think this is the first look at Wally's full costume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it do I hate Brett Booth.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Just give him the Walter West outfit!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's literally posed like one of those Total Justice action figures from the 90s.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Gaz-L posted:

Was it even supposed to be Saturn Girl? The closest I could figure was maybe Dream Girl. Why would Imra be thought crazy when she has a power that's super easy to demonstrate? "Huh, this chick says she knows Superman and she said it IN MY MIND. Nah, must be crazy!"

She's blonde and in red, that's pretty clearly Imra and not Nura. Additionally, the Legion has a fairly respectable history of not blatantly flashing their powers around when in the present (and Titan has some pretty stringent protocols about brazenly messing with randoms telepathically).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Cross posting from Digital Comics:

https://www.comixology.com/redeem?code=DCRebirthGotham

Comixology is giving away 2.5K copies of DC: Rebirth #1. Click the link to get it automatically added to your library.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

taichara posted:

She's blonde and in red, that's pretty clearly Imra and not Nura. Additionally, the Legion has a fairly respectable history of not blatantly flashing their powers around when in the present (and Titan has some pretty stringent protocols about brazenly messing with randoms telepathically).

I'm also going with Imra. I can see the Nura argument but I can't think of a reason they'd use her instead of Imra unless she's vital to the plot.

Besides, Imra is my friend. We ate cake.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Even disregarding metanarrative, surely one has to roll one's eyes at "There's going to be a war between hope and despair. Between love and apathy. Faith and disbelief."

Taking the metanarrative into account, no matter how much I love Wally and Linda, I want the writers and editors to copulate with their respective mothers (or fathers, I'm not prejudiced).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

What happened to Kyle?

The systems of war and rebellion being a big disillusioning bummer in the galaxy and back on Earth.

e: Also nobody say Superbro and Superdad anymore, please.

ee: From the Rebirth panel, I remember Geoff giving the impression that the Joker story would be more of a Justice League or JLA thing rather than a Batman titles thing. That was the block he announced it in rather than Batman's. Something like that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 26, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Even disregarding metanarrative, surely one has to roll one's eyes at "There's going to be a war between hope and despair. Between love and apathy. Faith and disbelief."

Taking the metanarrative into account, no matter how much I love Wally and Linda, I want the writers and editors to copulate with their respective mothers (or fathers, I'm not prejudiced).

I simply do not understand how anyone can come away from Watchmen thinking that it, or specifically the character of Dr. Manhattan, can be fairly described as the embodiment of "despair," "apathy," and "disbelief."

It's sure as gently caress a good deal more hopeful than Darkseid War, or Blackest Night, or Flashpoint, or a number of other Johns stories I could name.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I know nobody else cares about this, because you gave up on the Flash comic years ago, but I'm still going to say it.

Mirror Master was the best Rogue of Nu52.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Barry Convex posted:

I simply do not understand how anyone can come away from Watchmen thinking that it, or specifically the character of Dr. Manhattan, can be fairly described as the embodiment of "despair," "apathy," and "disbelief."

It's sure as gently caress a good deal more hopeful than Darkseid War, or Blackest Night, or Flashpoint, or a number of other Johns stories I could name.

"Despair" and "apathy" are basically contradictory anyway. Does Dr. Manhattan give a poo poo about the universe or not? Him despairing makes no sense if he's indifferent to human concerns, as a lazy Watchmen reader might conclude.

At its conclusion, New 52 seems like the worst crossover special since Invasion! Weird that they decided to make this one last 5+ years, though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

But why?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

DoctorDelaware posted:

I know nobody else cares about this, because you gave up on the Flash comic years ago, but I'm still going to say it.

Rogues Rebellion was a good book. It's always fun pitting The Rogues against villains who go way past their code that they can't abide by.

Though just as often the Rogues get chumped and captured by a bunch of no names, it's nice to remember the good stuff.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Barry Convex posted:

I'm thinking the meta narrative is probably going to be something like Manhattan's done what he's done as an experiment or because he honestly thinks he's fixing things. I don't expect him to actually be evil. I mean it's not like DC's editorial staff meant to gently caress up the DCU when they did the New 52, they're just completely incompetent at their jobs.

(Like I liked most of Rebirth and I'm at least going to see how the Watchmen stuff plays out before I call bullshit, but I still think DiDio should be fired.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Superbro"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Well there's only one around now, we don't need to distinguish em anymore!

Plus nu52 Supes stopped that T-shirt phase after he got his powers back. He is/was no longer "bro". But mostly because it sounds stupid.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I think writer burnout is more of a possibility here. The majority of the double shipping books are already assigned to have at least two artists working on them, so they trade off on duties every other issue. Wonder Woman I think has the best strategy in this and Rucka already put Black Magick on hiatus in order to make more time to write it bi-monthly.

loving balls!

I just finished it, I wanted to hate it, but I was more solidly in the "meh" stage. Except for Jamie being magic instead of alien tech. I guess Pre nu52 Blue Beetle still never happened. Whatever, not picking up any of their books, but I haven't been reading DC since that Villain's Month gimmick however many years ago.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I guess Pre nu52 Blue Beetle still never happened.

Someone needs to read Convergence!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

No one needs to read Convergence.

Looks like someone else needs to read Convergence!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 26, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Someone needs to read Convergence!

No one needs to read Convergence.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Like, this is the first DC comic I've read in years outside of the first issue of Gotham Academy and a few issues of thrift store Batgirl. So, what did convergence do to poo poo on Jamie more than the nu52 did?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.

DoctorDelaware posted:

Was New 52 Mirror Master Sam Scudder or the glasgow guy Grant Morrison created?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, folks have described Rebirth as a clusterfuck and messy...and I actually think that's fairly apt. About 70% of the book is weirdly jumbled or overly dense and the clipshow sequences of unrelated events -- basically movie trailers for upcoming series -- kind of disorient the story more than it...well...orients it.

And geez, was Johns always so...wordy? So purple-prosey? Maybe I've just been out of the DC house style loop for too long but the whole tell-not-show narration grated on me after a while. "This is an emotion I'm feeling right now. And then that emotion makes me feel another emotion as I witness this event that I'm going to describe to you. And as I look at this other character, I think to myself: 'I am looking at this other character.' Looking at this other character makes me feel...an emotion? I feel the emotion that I just mentioned." And on and on.

But otherwise, I gotta tell ya...I love the story being told here. I love the premise of the Nu52 as a universe where something has gone wrong without anyone even knowing, and that they have to rekindle the heart of the DC Universe in the aftermath of this wrongness. I love the correlation between the ten missing years to the relationships and legacies that used to support the old DCU. I love how Wally eventually boiled this down to love. That scene between Linda and Wally was incredible. That scene between Wally and Barry at the climax legitimately made me tear up even though I knew how manipulative (and clunky, to be honest) it was. (And geez, Phil Jimenez just keeps getting better and better)

And y'know, I hadn't planned on picking up the new Superman title before this week, but the whole situation with him, Lois, and Jon is probably the storyline that's most intriguing to me in this ongoing metaplot. I remember, back when the pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois were first brought into the Nu52, the first things I ever said was..."This seems to complicate the status quo way too much, is there any plan in place for this going forward?" and, well, I'm still not sure they ever had any plan going forward for it at the time :sweatdrop:, but the way things have turned out is incredibly interesting. Because if they're really the real Clark and Lois from "this" universe, then that means NuSuperman isn't the only one who's not really what he seems...but the Nu52's Lois Lane is also not who she actually seems to be.

I really wish we hadn't been spoiled on the Watchmen spoilers a week beforehand. I had chills reading up to that moment and the whole epilogue; for all of the wordiness, the art and narrative really sold that sequence. And after reading through everything, my theory is that the actual antagonist being Dr. Manhattan is a red herring. I'm not sure who the real villain is going to be -- maybe Ozymandias, maybe someone else -- but my impression is that there's a reason we don't ever actually see Dr. Manhattan here, despite the epilogue clearly leading readers to believe it's him.

Well, I'm probably wrong, but I guess we'll see. I'm back in this shitshow, DC. You've roped me the hell back in, you shitfucks. :buddy:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The systems of war and rebellion being a big disillusioning bummer in the galaxy and back on Earth.
Oh yeah, what was up with this Omega Men ending? With Kyle talking to that army guy? Was this not supposed to be set in continuity or something? That would probably make the book a little better to me, to be honest.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

ee: From the Rebirth panel, I remember Geoff giving the impression that the Joker story would be more of a Justice League or JLA thing rather than a Batman titles thing. That was the block he announced it in rather than Batman's. Something like that.

Wait so is he still a white lantern? Or just depowered? What's the money on Kyle being this new chick lantern's mentor/girlfriend? That may or may not get fridged and he takes her ring to be another GL again? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah, what was up with this Omega Men ending? With Kyle talking to that army guy? Was this not supposed to be set in continuity or something? That would probably make the book a little better to me, to be honest.

It's in continuity, but I wouldn't expect the anti-planet-blowing-up material and that guy to get followed up on. It's just there for a depressing caper, saying Earth wouldn't really be any less greedy than the space governments Kyle was trying to overthrow.

Jiro posted:

Wait so is he still a white lantern? Or just depowered? What's the money on Kyle being this new chick lantern's mentor/girlfriend? That may or may not get fridged and he takes her ring to be another GL again? :v:

You and everyone else aughta read Omega men. I think the trade is gonna have all 12 issues.
She's gotta be mentored and fall in love with Simon Baz first.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 26, 2016