Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Torbrjörn ready to bork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

cock hero flux posted:

D.va is probably the actual worst character at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. She can't actually tank but unlike Roadhog, the other tank that can't actually tank, she also does no damage and can't kill things. The way to play D.va currently is to fly around and use the fact that you're large and can appear out of nowhere quickly to scare new players who don't realize that your guns are just for display purposes into running away, thus wasting some of their time. Eventually one of them figures it out and decides to try shooting at you and at this point there's basically nothing you can do unless your ult is charged in which case you can kill yourself.

Pro D.Va strats right here. This should be in the OP.

e: Also, I really feel if you kill Mercy while the people being resurrected are yellow, it should cancel the ult. Right now it just seems like a get out of jail free card, where the entire team hosed up, and they now get a do-over because Mercy can stand in the middle of the lot and press Q

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 26, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ddraig posted:

e: Also, I really feel if you kill Mercy while the people being resurrected are yellow, it should cancel the ult.

It should remove those people completely from the game because they get stuck in a space-time-continuum that's neither at their corpse nor the spawn room.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I was playing against a dva last night on Nepal. She flew onto the point with the pit and used her ultimate and our whole team moved into that little side room. Then she had to choose between dying to her own ult or going head to head with two winstons. She wasnt very effective during the rest of the game either. Thats my Dva story.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ddraig posted:

Pro D.Va strats right here. This should be in the OP.

e: Also, I really feel if you kill Mercy while the people being resurrected are yellow, it should cancel the ult. Right now it just seems like a get out of jail free card, where the entire team hosed up, and they now get a do-over because Mercy can stand in the middle of the lot and press Q

Ideally as a mercy you're never entering the rez animation anyway since you can use it mid-flight and that removes the animation. Or at the very least using it behind a wall.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In a vacuum, I rather have the system as it is, but in real life I wish respawns worked on waves, because spending 7 minutes with my team's respawners attacking the point 1-by-1 and constantly dying is why I lose half my games.

Group up! Group Up! Group up! *watches as soldier runs straight into Anubis' point B entrance then dies*.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I tried playing Torbjorn, putting his turrets out to the side of chokepoints to shoot them in their butts. McCree just rolls in, flashbangs turret somehow then fans the hammer killing me and the turret.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i have 1k coins and can't decide what legendary to buy

roadhog is who i usually play but i don't like any of his legendaries, for some reason i really like zanya's siberian front one even though it's pretty simple, sunyatta loving rules but I hate playing zenyatta in pugs and mostly in general

what do i do

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I might buy Lucio's line about giving the enemies tinnitus but it might trigger my tinnitus (or other players) every time I hear it.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

i have 1k coins and can't decide what legendary to buy

roadhog is who i usually play but i don't like any of his legendaries, for some reason i really like zanya's siberian front one even though it's pretty simple, sunyatta loving rules but I hate playing zenyatta in pugs and mostly in general

what do i do

Think about what hero you would start to play more and enjoy more if you just could change his looks. That's why I bought Vigilante McCree, even though I haven't played that much with him. And the Plague doctor Reaper makes the character a lot less embarrassing to use, got that from a box.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bolivar posted:

Think about what hero you would start to play more and enjoy more if you just could change his looks. That's why I bought Vigilante McCree, even though I haven't played that much with him. And the Plague doctor Reaper makes the character a lot less embarrassing to use, got that from a box.

That's the thing, I'd probably play Zenyatta more since that skin is so good but so far I haven't had too much luck with it and am not enjoying it very much. I might pick up Torbjorn's pirate skin. Or possibly the biker one.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Buy Lucio's Deadmau5 skin since he was (is?) an SA mod.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ularg posted:

Also watching people play chicken with their hero choices is the most infuriating thing.

At least the chicken game tells you that you're on a team of trickle-in chucklefucks. You adjusts your expectations accordingly and pick a fun-haver hero or leave without repercussions while it's still in staging.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

Buy Lucio's Deadmau5 skin since he was (is?) an SA mod.

i already have the gold one but i don't like lucio, really

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'd like to apologize. It was me running teams of multiple Torbjorns tonite. I was also spamming, "THE NEW META" in the chat the whole time while we stomped poor pubs into the ground. In fact I'm actually not sorry because that poo poo was hilarious.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

At least the chicken game tells you that you're on a team of trickle-in chucklefucks. You adjusts your expectations accordingly and pick a fun-haver hero or leave without repercussions while it's still in staging.

Wait, I can leave the game without any repercussions when I'm in the character selection screen and the clock is counting to 0 and re-queue to a different game? If yes, this is great information for whenever I see something like Hanzo-Widow-Hanzo-Genji-Tracer. Or when I want to play an offensive class for a change after some Lucio games, and some idiot picks the same class as I have 5 seconds after I have locked it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
there's nothing more infuriating than getting premade groups against a full solo queue team

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between voice chat "Auto-Join" and "On"?

I don't even have a mic so I have no plans on talking, but in theory I guess it could be nice to have in case someone uses it well on my team? I think I've only heard someone use it once, and it was some guy mumbling in German.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I mean half the time you're in that situation it's because someone else pressed Q so it seems fair

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's Groundhog's combo, exactly? I've never played him. Is it hook, M1, melee?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy gently caress Tracer is so good.

How do i deap with Symmetra? That autistic bitch puts down so many turrets.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/avedral/status/735273722429464578

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 26, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Elman posted:

What's Groundhog's combo, exactly? I've never played him. Is it hook, M1, melee?

Basically, yeah. In theory the ideal way to do it is M2, cancel the animation with a hook, M1, cancel that with a melee. The M2 usually isn't necessary unless they're one of the tankier heroes.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I want to main mercy because I love healing, but I wish she had a slightly stronger weapon. Like even a weapon that did no damage but knocked back or 1 second stun would be enough for me to get out of situations quickly when no team is around to fly too

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
How important is being able to listen in this game? I can't use the game sound because of <--refer to SA username

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thumbtacks posted:

Basically, yeah. In theory the ideal way to do it is M2, cancel the animation with a hook, M1, cancel that with a melee. The M2 usually isn't necessary unless they're one of the tankier heroes.

It's good to do it all the time to get it into your muscle memory, but I can never pull that poo poo off.

DeafAsianQT posted:

How important is being able to listen in this game? I can't use the game sound because of <--refer to SA username

It's actually very, very important. To the point where you are at a serious disadvantage.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

DeafAsianQT posted:

Well the game does have very polished environmental sounds (kind of like: an enemy Junkrat is approaching from my right hand side), so especially those of your opponents who use headphones will be at an advantage.
Anyway, there's that one goon frequenting this thread who's also deaf and who likes to count how many OW players die in a two week span , he can probably give you some good tips.

edit: give some feedback to Blizz about putting subtitles to the ultimates. They are a big and socially conscious company, they should be able to deliver them in a patch and maybe something more to help players who are fully or partly deaf.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 26, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Depends on how serious you want to get. One really important aspect of the game is the enemy audio cues for their ultimates. It's critical to know to move away and spread out when you hear a Bastion, Junkrat, or McCree ult go off, as examples. The only way you'll know these are happening, without getting blown up and killed by them, is their audio cue.

If you're just playing casually, though, you can pretty much get away with no sound, but you'll definitely end up dying a lot more.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 26, 2016

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Every hero has different footsteps you can use to tell who they are so it's kinda important if you wanna go comp prob

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I LOVE this game and it is fantastic to play just for 1 or 2 rounds. But the matchmaking is absurd. You either destroy the enemies or you get completely ripped assunder and spend more time in the spawntimer and on your way to the objective than "playing". 2 out of 10 games are really close and leads to an epic game/match thats the boredom and frustration of the other 8 games worth, at least now while Overwatch is new and fresh.
Funny ist that when I stomped enemies with my team, my team gets scrambled, but when my team gets owned, the enemy team does not get scrambled. WTF is that? Maybe it gets scrambled, too, but the 2 or 3 best players stay together. I dont understand that system at all tbh.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So, after I got wrecked as D.Va earlier tonight, I actually went on the wiki and looked at some numbers on some weapons.

Assume that S:76 and D.Va are 1v1ing, nose to nose, no damage falloff, firing wildly into each other.

• D.va does 24 damage with each blast of her fusion cannons, which fire 7 times a second. DPS: 168.
  • S:76 does 16 damage a bullet, double headshot damage because of D.Va's giant hitbox, -5 a hit for armor, DPS: 290
  • S:76 dies in 1.2 seconds. D.Va will die after 1.6 seconds.

This is theoretically a great situation for D.Va (Close range, the bulk of her health is armor, which 'is most effective at reducing the effect of low-damage, high-fire-rate attacks such as Soldier 76's Heavy Pulse Rifle'), and she wins the damage race by less than half a second. If the 76 is standing in his Biotic Field, it's .2 second. If he hits you with his Helix Rocket or even just shoots you with his rifle a little as you're flying in to start shooting, your mek blows up instead.

A lot of enemies can just straight up damage race D.Va and win by standing their ground, shooting her as she approaches, and hammering the cockpit instead of trying to escape..

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Crasical posted:

So, after I got wrecked as D.Va earlier tonight, I actually went on the wiki and looked at some numbers on some weapons.

Assume that S:76 and D.Va are 1v1ing, nose to nose, no damage falloff, firing wildly into each other.

• D.va does 24 damage with each blast of her fusion cannons, which fire 7 times a second. DPS: 168.
  • S:76 does 16 damage a bullet, double headshot damage because of D.Va's giant hitbox, -5 a hit for armor, DPS: 290
  • S:76 dies in 1.2 seconds. D.Va will die after 1.6 seconds.

This is theoretically a great situation for D.Va (Close range, the bulk of her health is armor, which 'is most effective at reducing the effect of low-damage, high-fire-rate attacks such as Soldier 76's Heavy Pulse Rifle'), and she wins the damage race by less than half a second. If the 76 is standing in his Biotic Field, it's .2 second. If he hits you with his Helix Rocket or even just shoots you with his rifle a little as you're flying in to start shooting, your mek blows up instead.

A lot of enemies can just straight up damage race D.Va and win by standing their ground, shooting her as she approaches, and hammering the cockpit instead of trying to escape..
I did not know these numbers, but when I play offensive heroes, D.Va usually is my primary target. Without support she is a free kill.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

I LOVE this game and it is fantastic to play just for 1 or 2 rounds. But the matchmaking is absurd. You either destroy the enemies or you get completely ripped assunder and spend more time in the spawntimer and on your way to the objective than "playing". 2 out of 10 games are really close and leads to an epic game/match thats the boredom and frustration of the other 8 games worth, at least now while Overwatch is new and fresh.
Funny ist that when I stomped enemies with my team, my team gets scrambled, but when my team gets owned, the enemy team does not get scrambled. WTF is that? Maybe it gets scrambled, too, but the 2 or 3 best players stay together. I dont understand that system at all tbh.

It's not so much the matchmaking as it is the maps, I think.Temple of Anubis, Hanamura and KotH maps in particular are really bad about this.

But they should always autobalance the teams at the end of stomp in casual mode, yeah. It doesn't matter if I'm queueing with other people, playing against my friends is fun too Blizzard.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Holy gently caress Tracer is so good.

How do i deap with Symmetra? That autistic bitch puts down so many turrets.

I actually have no idea how you good Tracer players do it. I can't seem to last very long with her unless I'm against very.... new players.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

-snip-

And that's not even counting the fact that they're free to run and jump around while firing at you while you're basically glued in place :eng101:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I keep opening boxes like this

i have like, 9 legendary skins now?

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I've found the best way to play D.va is to assume you're Roadhog. Stick to walls and rooms to force close-range engagements and pretend you don't have a boost until you're overwhelmed. You can try and ambush snipers and break up formations once in a while to mix things up but you're at your most useful supporting your team's flanks.

Also any part of a payload map with lots of cover near the route makes it very easy to contest with her. Final stretch of Hollywood and 66 for example. As long as your healer isn't getting harassed there's little the other team can do to dislodge you. Your matrix and your guns mean you'll be doing more damage than Rein and feeding less ult than Zarya or Roadhog.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 26, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got to play with a bunch of goons from the Discord channel. They were amazing. Never seen people play support so well.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do i deal with Symmetra? That autistic bitch puts down so many turrets.

Stuff that I find super annoying playing as Symmetra:

Symmetra's s biggest strength is the teleporter saving the long walk-back on first-point defense. If people aren't being obliging about going through the car-wash, it can be hard to build up that ult charge fast enough to drop a teleporter before you die/your team dies and you lose the point. Be aggressive and see if you can take the point before she becomes an issue.

Related to above: Don't go in the car wash. Symmetra craves ult charge.

Lucio's right click pulse deletes a lot of turrets right in front of him. Winston's tesla cannon does similar work.

Be aware that once her normal click locks on you need to either murder her or back off fairly quickly because it's going to ramp-up and become a laser chainsaw very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh poo poo got sunyatta from a pack

alright time to play zenyatta more

also i need to join that discord, playing with an organized team makes everything better