Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

at the date posted:

Marxism is itself historical fiction so

#ShotsFired #rekt #wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

at the date posted:

Marxism is itself historical fiction so

So bourgie

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

unao
Dec 12, 2013

Is't kool-aid man "drinking the kool aid" kind of cannibalistic?

but so is capitalist society, so it's appropiate?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

unao posted:

Is't kool-aid man "drinking the kool aid" kind of cannibalistic?

but so is capitalist society, so it's appropiate?

mind... BLOWN!!!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
unao is a cool and good addition to this cool and good thread

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Hiii! question time! Amerikkkans, What are your most wanted contemporary poets? (Within a loose definition of contemporary, maybe eighties and onwards)

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Bob Dylan and Alanis Morissette

unao
Dec 12, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Bob Dylan and Alanis Morissette

:argh:
ok, fine
PAPER poets

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

unao posted:

Hiii! question time! Amerikkkans, What are your most wanted contemporary poets? (Within a loose definition of contemporary, maybe eighties and onwards)

Um, Louise Gluck, James Tate, and Kim Addonizio are all great. I like Sherman Alexie's poetry, though he's maybe better known for his prose.

Maybe Sarah Gridley and Joshua Poteat for some younger folks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

unao posted:

Natasha Trethaway and Claudia Rankine come to mind. Honestly, if poetry isn't dead in the US it at least sits on a hospital bed surrounded by crying loved ones.

P.S. sorry havent responded to your pm yet, been busy. Will soon.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Dana Gioia is pretty darn good, although he uses his position as a nationally recognized poet to publish wordy insipid opinions on things like Beauty.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can't really talk about contemporary American poetry without mentioning John Ashbery. He is not for everyone, and some people hate him, but he's super prolific, very influential, and has won basically every single poetry award in the world. Definitely one of the best living American poets, though he probably won't be around much longer.

But mostly this:

quote:

Honestly, if poetry isn't dead in the US it at least sits on a hospital bed surrounded by crying loved ones.

It's sad to pick up a poetry collection and see that 99 out of 100 people published in it are sexagenarian poetry professors, most of whom know each other on a personal basis.

edit: -v :hfive:

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 20, 2016

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Ok, thanks for those answers! I will look them more in-depht later, but right now i'm wrestling an old fart i like to call John Ashbery. I bought breezeway on amazon and what the gently caress.
It looks like the kind of postmodern verse i love, but even more so. the usual cultural garbage re-porpoused, the non poetic language, and the disjointment of each sentence with the next are here, but somehow more disorienting than usual. It's "poemas y antipoemas" extended forever, it's what may have happened if rodrigo lira didn't kill himself at thirty two, and instead keep doing the same things he did forever, more alienated (and not more distant, but more close) with each iteration.

I may not be sure of what i'm reading, but (and here may be some hyperbole on it's quality) it flashes it's own kind of brillance so often that i think it is brilliant, in the way a movie is not a moving image, but a non-stop sucession of stills.

In definitive, i may be disoriented and confused about what any of this geezers writing is, but it's like a tootsie pop. I may not know how many readings it takes, but i know eventually you get tootsie roll.

Also reading it aloud is so nice.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Just bite the darn thing like Mr. Owl

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Mover posted:

Um, Louise Gluck, James Tate, and Kim Addonizio are all great. I like Sherman Alexie's poetry, though he's maybe better known for his prose.

Maybe Sarah Gridley and Joshua Poteat for some younger folks.

James Tate is cool and funny, his old stuff is nutso but I like his semi-recent things best. His latest one is just okay though, too bad.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Edit: I just read what i wrote and it made no goddamn sense. Goddamn john ashbery has me thinking queer

I dislike low content posts, so i think the least i can do is sharing this:
http://hyperallergic.com/259942/two-poems-by-emily-skillings/

I write sometimes and feel that if i wrote good it would be like that. So i like it. Similar artistic inclinations and stuff

unao fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 21, 2016

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
my fav Latvian poet has a collection out in English, so check him out, i guess? https://books.google.es/books?id=3x7WSxhKlA0C&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3. There'll also be a collectino out in Spanish this year or next.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 21, 2016

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks to whoever in this thread recommended David Vann. I just finished Goat Mountain and it was really good, though also exceptionally horrifying and exhausting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vann Clan grows stronger

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
All Quiet on the Western Front is really good, funny how reading this after having experienced much anti-war culture, movies and books and such, makes all the things after it seem like they are merely rewritting this book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Apropos of nothing, but I have a new favourite bit of marginalia. In a book on Anglo-Saxons, in a section discussing language, the author makes a passing reference to the Scots and the Picts:

unao
Dec 12, 2013

End Of Worlds posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I have a new favourite bit of marginalia. In a book on Anglo-Saxons, in a section discussing language, the author makes a passing reference to the Scots and the Picts:

It's like a small forum, made of paper.
:3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not sure who's wrong there, engaging with the Germanic raiders is probably what they did with lots of miming, pointing, shouting loudly in their own language and violent stabbing. Pictish is a completely lost language, possibly because they spoke like the Gaelic equivalent of Irish travellers. We do know they couldn't write themselves, and that nobody else could understand what the gently caress they were saying, even if it was a version of Gaelic, so didn't write anything they said down other than a few phonetic versions of place names. Which isn't actually that different to people trying to understand the Orcadian accent today.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I just finished Dictionary of the Khazars. I can't say I enjoyed reading it but by the end I liked the book.

I'm reading Borges Ficciones in Spanish - another slog given my Spanish but rewarding so far.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

I love this, and want to call someone a Pictish idiot.

I just started The North Water. I really like it so far, but there's no way McGuire didn't pitch the drat thing as "Blood Meridian on a boat."

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What's the good Chinese poetry I'm also willing to accept prose suggestions even tho it's objectively inferior as an art form thank you

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
read some misty poets, then rummage through http://www.asymptotejournal.com/ archive, maybe buy Empty Chairs, and you'll be ready to pose as an expert

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

unao posted:

Denis Johnson's The Incognito Lounge and Joshua Beckman's Shake are two of my favorite collections but I don't know poetry from a hole in the ground.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I read a cool collection of Bengali short stories and because I like to proceed vaguely thematically through my bookshelfs and the only in-any-real-way-related thing I had was Monica Ali's Brick Lane I picked that up and I assume it's bad but is it as bad as I assume? I mean it was written in English so I can only be positively surprised

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

read some misty poets, then rummage through http://www.asymptotejournal.com/ archive, maybe buy Empty Chairs, and you'll be ready to pose as an expert

I should have mentioned I literally live in China atm so nothing too dissident pls these look cool tho

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CestMoi posted:

I should have mentioned I literally live in China atm so nothing too dissident pls these look cool tho

lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

What's the good Chinese poetry I'm also willing to accept prose suggestions even tho it's objectively inferior as an art form thank you

Is Mao's poetry any good?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CestMoi posted:

How's the weather up there?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I just finished Blindness so thank you thread for the recommendation

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Remember Me Like This is a good book

that is all

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Is Mao's poetry any good?

I'll buy some and get back to you

Mr. Squishy posted:

How's the weather up there?

It's very warm here Mr. Squishy. Bordering on uncomfortably so, imho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Great week for books coming up

We got Homegoing, Grief is a Thing with Feathers, and The Good Lieutenant

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Great week for books coming up

We got Homegoing, Grief is a Thing with Feathers, and The Good Lieutenant

http://www.amazon.com/Grief-Thing-Feathers/dp/0571323766
The cover makes Grief look like a book from the 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
books are kinda meh in 21st century, tbh