Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Woah Dave!, easily.

Woah, Dave! and Road Not Taken are tied for me. Honorable mentions: Tower of Guns, Never Alone, Race the Sun, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled, KickBeat and Shutshimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think any were worse than Dragon Fin Soup. I played Woah Dave! for longer than that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Obsurveyor posted:

Woah, Dave! and Road Not Taken are tied for me. Honorable mentions: Tower of Guns, Never Alone, Race the Sun, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled, KickBeat and Shutshimi.
Almost forgot about KickBeat.

Other honorable mentions for me: Hardware: Rivals, Contrast, Mousecraft, Entwined, Secret Ponchos, Stealth Inc. 2, Sound Shapes, Super Exploding Zoo, and Hohokum.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
After initially dismissing it I actually ended up getting a fair bit of play out of Titan Attacks. There's not much going on on the surface, but there's some depth to it and as you advance it can get pretty addictive. I don't think it makes a good first impression and I wouldn't pay for it, but it satisfies an itch and it's not terrible. I've spent more time playing it than I did playing say, The Division, before I traded it in or any number of higher profile PS3 PS+ releases. I defnitely spent more time playing it than Watch_Dogs, but I've never really got the AAA or bust mentality some people have that equates quality to the number of people who worked on the game. I do get why people would like to see more big AAA games in PS+ when it's a financial rather than a qualitative thing though.

And seconding (thirding?) Dragon Fin Soup and Kickbeat, they didn't last long.

What about games that people would otherwise of written off that they ended up getting the most amount of play from? Probably Steamworld Dig and Towerfall for me.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 26, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think any were worse than Dragon Fin Soup. I played Woah Dave! for longer than that.
That one still makes me mad, finally a free game in one of my favorite genres and it's got a terrible interface and boring gameplay

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kirios posted:

I wouldn't normally do this, but seriously, don't bother with Aaru's Awakening. It's a terrible game.

Edit: On a side note, what's everyone's worst PS Plus game they've played? One that you turned on for 30 seconds...immediately went "gently caress this." and deleted.

Mine is Futurium EP Deluxe...one of the worst games I've ever played. Tabletop comes close but man....Futurium just sticks in my head as a game that was a complete was of bandwidth.

Either Futurium or Aaru's Awakening come close for worst. Super Exploding Zoo was pretty boring too. Shutshumi sucks and Woah Dave was fun for five minutes at least. Dragon Fin Soup seems like it'd be ok if I could muster the effort to play it. Limbo was bad too.

The actual worst is Ether One though. The game is just plain broken on PS4. Crashes, bugs, locks you out of poo poo, and it corrupted my save. It apparently works fine on PC, however. That soup game was pretty boring too.

quote:

Other honorable mentions for me: Hardware: Rivals, Contrast, Mousecraft, Entwined, Secret Ponchos, Stealth Inc. 2, Sound Shapes, Super Exploding Zoo, and Hohokum.

Hohokum and Sound Shapes are ok, neat for a little while, but not nearly as lovely as Mousecraft and Entwined.

quote:

What about games that people would otherwise of written off that they ended up getting the most amount of play from? Probably Steamworld Dig and Towerfall for me.

Never Alone plays like rear end but the rest of it is super cool and I really liked the cultural videos. Unfinished Swan was good too. I had played them already but Helldivers and Guacamelee are great buys no matter what. Tropico 5 is also awesome, way better than 4.

Man, there really are a lot of super lovely indie games on PS Plus huh

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 26, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The amount of 3D indie games like that that run awfully on the PS4 is kind of sad, I bought both Kholat and Layers of Fear and they run like utter poo poo. Kholat is UE4 too and doesn't even have the Unity excuse.

Lichdom takes the grand prize though, being an almost full price game that struggles to hit 15fps on consoles.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 26, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, there really are a lot of super lovely indie games on PS Plus huh

I was running through the list and there are a lot of pretty good indie games as well, but yeah there is some crap. I'm surpised that lovely Toy Soldiers one hasn't been on it yet. It's been (in EU anyway) pretty much a permenant fixture in every sale and has some DLC (which always makes it more likely to be in PS+). My kid really wants it but there's no way I'm going to pay for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shovelware is the sign of a popular console, it just comes in the shape of indie games now rather than UbiSoft classic Imagine Babiez

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

the best part about dragon fin soup is that it was released with game breaking bugs that make it impossible to finish that still haven't been fixed

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Mercenary Kings,

People said it was like Metal Slug. I thought i'd like it. But it is repetetive boring and nothing like the fluidness that is Metal Slug

Havent bothered to play most free plus games. There may be worse ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

Lichdom takes the grand prize though, being an almost full price game that struggles to hit 15fps on consoles.

I got that on Steam and for thirty minutes it seemed really cool until I realized every spell was going to be the same thing.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Yeah, there are definite duds. Dragon Fin Soup and Titan Attacks for me, probably, but that's with me not even touching boring-sounding things like Woah Dave.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Davincie posted:

the best part about dragon fin soup is that it was released with game breaking bugs that make it impossible to finish that still haven't been fixed

To be fair, apparently the studio that ported it hosed the original devs over to the point that in order to fix things they hired ANOTHER studio to make ANOTHER port, because they were unable to get a patch out of the first port studio.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I actually liked Woah, Dave. It's good for what it is.

Dragon Fin Soup is the worst, just because I read about it and was like "sweet, a PS4 roguelike. I'm gonna play the poo poo out of this" and it ended up being garbage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

Woah Dave!, easily.

For non-PS4 it was Titan Attacks!

That was on ps4 too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not gonna call it a bad game but I couldn't get into Unfinished Swan. I don't know if the whole game is that world painting mechanic but I didn't really like that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Real hurthling! posted:

That was on ps4 too
True, though I only played it on PS3. I'll amend to say Cloudberry Kingdom then.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Popular Human posted:

I actually liked Woah, Dave. It's good for what it is.

Dragon Fin Soup is the worst, just because I read about it and was like "sweet, a PS4 roguelike. I'm gonna play the poo poo out of this" and it ended up being garbage.

Woah Dave is fun. To it's credit, I actually beat Fin Soup (35 hours). Had its issues, but inno - I liked it despite its faults.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Training posted:

I'm not gonna call it a bad game but I couldn't get into Unfinished Swan. I don't know if the whole game is that world painting mechanic but I didn't really like that

It mixes it up some every level, but if you didn't like how it started you probably won't like the rest.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

Woah Dave!, easily.

For non-PS4 it was Titan Attacks!

That was on ps4 too

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Whoa Dave, I feel bad for anyone who actually bought it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was shocked at just how bad Dragon Fin Soup was.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Obsurveyor posted:

I enjoyed Shutshimi, as stupid as it was. The idea of a fish with huge biceps still makes me laugh because I am a child.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With the amount of overwhelming "support" it got are we ready to claim Dragon Fin Soup as the worst PS Plus game of all time?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
When I got my PS4 last fall and used a discount code for a bunch of games that I'd read up on, I also impulse added Dragon Fin for like $1.49 without checking any reviews or general feedback.

At least it was a lesson learned for cheap! :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kirios posted:

With the amount of overwhelming "support" it got are we ready to claim Dragon Fin Soup as the worst PS Plus game of all time?

It might be unbeatable, but does it crash and corrupt your save too? If not then Ether One wins by being most brokenest.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I enjoyed Shutshimi, as stupid as it was. The idea of a fish with huge biceps still makes me laugh because I am a child.

It seemed to have some funny elements but the gameplay is total trash and not worth suffering through.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

RBA Starblade posted:

It might be unbeatable, but does it crash and corrupt your save too? If not then Ether One wins by being most brokenest.

RBA Starblade posted:

This and this again. Got invested in it, three seperate playthroughs and never got past the mines due to glitches

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Probably Dragon Fin Soup or Futuridium. I kinda enjoyed Whoa Dave!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

How about best PS Plus games? Pix the Cat, First Light, and Resogun for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

RL

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought Dust was quite stellar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Best PS+ game for me so far is probably Binding of Isaac.

Worst is probably Woah Dave

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sine mora was the worst ps+ imo

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Best period or on PS4? Like I think I'd have to give it to Tropico 5 and Rocket League personally. BoI, Rogue Legacy, Fez, Transistor, OlliOlli2, and Styx are also ones I enjoy quite a bit.

Best period? Hmm....that list is longer to consider...yeah, gently caress, idk, the majority of PS3 stuff from like 2012 to mid-2014 was really stellar.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Injustice: Gods Among Us. Infamous First Light was pretty sweet too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brightman posted:

Best period or on PS4? Like I think I'd have to give it to Tropico 5 and Rocket League personally. BoI, Rogue Legacy, Fez, Transistor, OlliOlli2, and Styx are also ones I enjoy quite a bit.

Best period? Hmm....that list is longer to consider...yeah, gently caress, idk, the majority of PS3 stuff from like 2012 to mid-2014 was really stellar.

I suck at Tropico, but definitely my favorite.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I already owned it when it came out but Demons Souls is a pretty sick free game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Dragon Fin Soup wasn't terrible and far from the worst PS+ game you turds.

• Locked thread