Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

Bike dealerships are worse than car dealerships. I didn't think that was possible.

Colemans makes the scummiest of used car dealerships look downright wholesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dutymode posted:

Any goons near Chicago looking to join the SV bandwagon, this one looks good.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5568889175.html
Are you hawking your own ad here? Because that's not a screaming deal or anything.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

No it's not mine. Just cruising CL and it's far better than average.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 6, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Seems like a pretty decent price to me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nothing special if compared to my local listings, but maybe we're just that lucky.

Example http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5553850510.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Nothing special if compared to my local listings, but maybe we're just that lucky.

Example http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5553850510.html

That's the wrong orientation though, you want a horizontal bike.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'd snatch this up if I were looking for a bike right now, but if anyone near Florida is looking for a second gen SV:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5569834066.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ola posted:

That's the wrong orientation though, you want a horizontal bike.

drat, I knew it was too good to be true. The Florida SV is definitely a smoking deal tho, someone snatch it up

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, that one's crazy, he's gotta be missing the title or something.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you look at the pictures, it's been down and the forks are a bit rusty. I'm willing to bet that the chain/sprockets/tires/fluids/battery are probably bad too.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bought a KLR last fall but drat this looks like a good price: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcd/5574756061.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For that price there has to be something wrong with it.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/5577388207.html

quote:

2001 Triumph Bonneville 790 for sale. I'm asking such a low price as we do not have the title. I do have a bill of sale. This bike was in a barn for 9 years before I bought her.
It has: New Tires, Spark Plugs, Oil change and Battery.
Just about 1200 Miles.
Email with questions or interest.

Shame about that lack of title :(

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Someone buy this and sell me the parts one by one as I crash my near identical bonnie. TIA.

Also sell new the seat, because the stock seat is poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

http://blog.suretysolutionsllc.com/suretynews/how-to-get-an-illinois-bonded-title

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Last year a friend of mine moved to California and gave me his '01 Suzuki Savage that was sitting in storage for a few years. I derusted the tank, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, put a battery in and it fired up. It's a piece of poo poo for sure, but it runs and rides and passes inspection.

I hate everything about this bike. Messing around with it to get it running was a fun project, but now I want to get rid of it. What's a fair asking price for a beat to poo poo running cruiser?

There's a small dent in the tank and some scratches, looks like it was down at some point. 14k miles on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RadioPassive posted:

Last year a friend of mine moved to California and gave me his '01 Suzuki Savage that was sitting in storage for a few years. I derusted the tank, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, put a battery in and it fired up. It's a piece of poo poo for sure, but it runs and rides and passes inspection.

I hate everything about this bike. Messing around with it to get it running was a fun project, but now I want to get rid of it. What's a fair asking price for a beat to poo poo running cruiser?

There's a small dent in the tank and some scratches, looks like it was down at some point. 14k miles on it.

"awesome learner bike, still got plenty of power to keep up on the highway, got some scuffs, run's strong $3000 OBO firm, will consider trade for F4i" if my local Craigslist is any indication.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I'd list it for about $3k and be happy with $2500. It's a good learner bike, lightish and low saddle height.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Seriously? $2500? My initial thought was to be happy if it brought in $1000.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You could probably get close to that around here, yeah. Not sure about your location though.

There's a '87 Savage for $1000 on my local CL, an '01 for $2700, and a couple '13ish for $4k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
$1k to 2k depending on area. start at 2k.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My first bike was a Savage. I looked like a gorilla humping a football on that tiny thing.

Yeah I'd start it at $2k and happily accept $1500 or so cash.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could always "invest" in a cafe racer kit! :downs:

http://www.rycamotors.com/RYCA-cs1-cafe-racer-kit.html

(I'd consider doing it if I had the bike already and disposable income, but I make dumb decisions in regards to bikes)

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 25, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

You could always "invest" in a cafe racer kit! :downs:

http://www.rycamotors.com/RYCA-cs1-cafe-racer-kit.html

(I'd consider doing it if I had the bike already and disposable income, but I make dumb decisions in regards to bikes)

If Suzuki were to do that from the factory, they would sell shitloads of them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

If Suzuki were to do that from the factory, they would sell shitloads of them.

They can't. It's not a legal license plate mount for NY. :colbert:

Here's the NY law.

NY law posted:

LICENSE PLATE*
Must be illuminated and visible for 50 feet
Must be “conspicuously displayed at the rear of the motorcycle”, Securely Attached, not swinging.
Must be securely mounted between 12 - 48 inches from the ground (when reasonable)
Must be clean and easily readable with no plastic or synthetic covering, may be mounted vertically.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Even if it were worth the effort I'm not convinced I'd actually enjoy the cafe once it's done. It's still the same stupid engine. I hate ~everything~ about this bike except it was free.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

They can't. It's not a legal license plate mount for NY. :colbert:

Here's the NY law.

Pretty much every DOT-legal US version of the imaginary cafe version would come with a whale tail over the rear tire and giant turn signals. The bike would also probably cost $11k new.

I've never ridden one so I have no idea how anemic it feels, I wouldn't think a 650cc thumper would be as disappointing as you say, though. bummer.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

I'd snatch this up if I were looking for a bike right now, but if anyone near Florida is looking for a second gen SV:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5569834066.html

SO apparently this is still available... and the person that owns it literally lives across the street from me. I saw it outside the other day and he's still trying to sell it. I haven't shopped a second gen SV before, so I'm looking to get a little input on a fair offer. The bike looks like it was sitting outside for awhile, and would need new forks (tubes are rusted to poo poo), new front calipers, chain, tires, battery, fluids. There's also a little damage from what looks like driveway tip-overs.
Not totally convinced I'm going to grab it yet, as I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the guy yet. I'd say it's a perfect candidate for a GSXR front end swap since all of the junk on the front needs replacing anyway.

What would you pay for this CA, assuming clean title, no significant damage, etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd show up with $800 in hundreds and offer that, with another 200 in twenties.

That rust pattern on the forks is real strange, but if you paid 800 for it then the ~$800 in parts you'd need would get you to 1600-1800 for a 100% ready to go gen 2 SV, which wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, if the rest of the bike wasn't relatively clean, I would say this sat out for years and years, but it's really just the forks and calipers that are weirdly over-corroded. And that was about how much I was thinking, I imagine after it sitting for a year and a half and trying to sell it for a month will make "will not hesitate to sell" mean doing so at that price :toot:

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
The savage isn't that bad. My friend is 6'1 and 250lbs and purchased a 2001 model for his first bike 4 years ago. We did some basic maintenance the first week and it has never failed. We have even done some ridiculously heavily loaded long-weekend touring with it as well. It smokes on startup, bogs down a bit and handles poorly at speed with a heavy load, but gently caress, it's still two wheels. I think all low slung cruisers look ridiculous with big guys crunched into taco shapes with forward controls. Admittedly, I like it a lot more now that it's proven to be a solid platform. It's actually been a great starter bike and they're so cheap that I don't think they're really worth selling if it still runs. Take the free bike and run it into the ground.

A retired friend of mine built the RYCA cafe racer with his son and it's a really cool bike. It's loud, raucous, and uncomfortable. Totally legit bike for bombing around.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How is the Yamaha XT600? Are parts still relatively available? Are the motors pieces of poo poo?

I am thinking of throwing this guy a lowball and see if he bites. He's had it for sale for a while and pretty obviously needs some work but debating if it's worthwhile or not if I can get it for around $500.

quote:

Runs and drives, but smokes and rattles. Needs work to motor.
Newer Tires. Everything is there. Good parts bike or to rebuild.
Otherwise in good condition.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 5, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Saw this one during a yard sale in South Seattle. $2500, needs some work but runs. That seems cheap for an airhead, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah that's real cheap. I'd offer 2k, and run away giggling like a demon if they took it.

slidebite, if you're looking for a project, that's probably a decent one. Assume 2k all in to get it back to really good condition if you get it for $500.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't justify picking it up right now, even though I want to. :(

If someone around here is interested, I can steer you to the house but I didn't get a number.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

slidebite, if you're looking for a project, that's probably a decent one. Assume 2k all in to get it back to really good condition if you get it for $500.
I sent him an email, we'll see if he gets back to me. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of work. Anything over a 250 for an Enduro seems to go for stupid cash up here. If I can get away with a seat cover and maybe get lucky on the motor I'd be laughing.
Are the XTs any good? I see it's got disk brakes which is a good sign.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

Are the XTs any good? I see it's got disk brakes which is a good sign.

They're pretty solid, reliable bikes. Only real weak spot is fifth gear likes to wear out with time, other than that they tend to be tanks. They were also used as Dakar bikes, in Tenere trim (the ancestor of the current Super Tenere).

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Saw this one during a yard sale in South Seattle. $2500, needs some work but runs. That seems cheap for an airhead, right?

"Needs some work but runs" is code for "absolutely, 100% good for the next few thousand miles," right?

Because that bike (with a fairing, preferably) is exactly what I've been on the hunt for recently. Not exactly willing to commit to a 2,000 mile fly-n-ride on a 40+ year old bike, though, even if I knew for certain it would still be there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uhhh, not exactly. I have no clue what's up with the bike, I just talked to his wife for two minutes. But still, 2500 is way less than I usually see these things go for, so I'm sad I can't jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5594324323.html