Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol at teddy being robotnik.
Hahaha, now I can't unsee it. :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
You know, I'm gonna miss the wonder screens from Civ V. They were an awful cop-out for the actual ending slides, but for individual wonders the combination of the painting, the music, and the narration could really create a sense of awe (At least, the first time you built them :v:)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That sort of fog of war originally came from the old game Merchant Prince/Machiavelli.

Game looks good- glad so much stuff seems done so far ahead of release.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I will challenge President Roosevelt to a pie eating contest.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know, I'm gonna miss the wonder screens from Civ V. They were an awful cop-out for the actual ending slides, but for individual wonders the combination of the painting, the music, and the narration could really create a sense of awe (At least, the first time you built them :v:)
Can anything top this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Another article today, from IGN.

Some interesting extra things in this one I hadn't noticed before:

-Wildcard civic slots can take any other type of civic card OR unique wildcard cards. (Makes sense, given the name.)

-Great people are now predetermined (though random) within each category- when you earn enough to buy one, you can either grab the one available or wait for someone else to take them first to give you a shot at a new Great Person. Bonuses vary by Great Person. (Shades of Founding Fathers from Colonization?)

-Religion is mostly the way it worked in Civ V, with some as yet unseen wrinkles.

-There are (currently) five steps to diplomatic visibility with other nations. You can go from seeing basic information to learning their hidden agenda, victory condition being pursued, deals with other players, etc. - you have to do a variety of diplomatic actions (including espionage) to get yourself in that tight with them.

-City-State Quests aren't on a limited timer- you have a list, and doing more of them gets you more points (envoys?). You need at least 3 points to be an ally, and at least 1 more point than whoever else has favor with them to retain the ally bonus.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hogama posted:

[url=http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/25/civilization-6s-new-game-changer-features]

-City-State Quests aren't on a limited timer- you have a list, and doing more of them gets you more points (envoys?). You need at least 3 points to be an ally, and at least 1 more point than whoever else has favor with them to retain the ally bonus.

This sounds good. I still feel like Civ V's victory conditions mostly boiled down to "acquire money buy city states".

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Do citizens still work tiles? I couldn't tell from the gameplay preview. I would assume so, but the interface is definitely changed a lot.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 26, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DarthJeebus posted:

Do citizens still work tiles? I couldn't tell from the gameplay preview. I would assume so, but the interface is definitely changed a lot.

Yes. It's quick, but there's about one second where they show that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I've played Civ 5 for hundreds of hours, but I completely forgot that wonders even had narration and music, since I always just click "ok" immediately. I really have no idea why they didn't just do voice overs like they did in Civ 4.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm not too wild about the build charges but I completely get the reasoning behind it. It also sounds like my fears in regards to districts are becoming correct. Nice to know that not every building requires a district but I definitely see myself filling up most of the tiles in the early game and have the late game be mostly inactive turn ending. I don't see tile improvements being useful on anything other than resources since they'll just be overwritten by districts/wonders. Makes sense that builders have charges because you'll barely be using them anymore.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cowman posted:

I'm not too wild about the build charges but I completely get the reasoning behind it. It also sounds like my fears in regards to districts are becoming correct. Nice to know that not every building requires a district but I definitely see myself filling up most of the tiles in the early game and have the late game be mostly inactive turn ending. I don't see tile improvements being useful on anything other than resources since they'll just be overwritten by districts/wonders. Makes sense that builders have charges because you'll barely be using them anymore.

If it's anything like Endless Legend, you might be able to grow sideways and stretch your city out over the continent like a snake. The space restrictions of traditional Civ games wouldn't really work well with this system, but that's simply all the more reason to discard those limitations when making a major change like this.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Clarste posted:

If it's anything like Endless Legend, you might be able to grow sideways and stretch your city out over the continent like a snake. The space restrictions of traditional Civ games wouldn't really work well with this system, but that's simply all the more reason to discard those limitations when making a major change like this.

If that's the case then that's pretty cool and I'm more interested. Far as I know they haven't said anything about that style of expansion.

Taking a look at the gameplay video, the way that the main city Xi'An is set up he only has 9 remaining land hexes to put districts/wonders on, 12 if there's some for mountains. When he puts the Academy district down, you can see that there's tile bonuses. If there's not a way to move districts then I definitely would see myself screwing early cities out of optimal/mandatory district placements. I don't know how many districts there will be in the final game but the cities are probably going to end up being limited and specialized which could either be fun and interesting or extremely aggravating. I'm still not entirely sold on the district and wonder placement especially because the gameplay video is very early game and he's already filled up almost half his tiles with wonders, districts and improvements. If it's that quick to fill up then I don't have high hopes for the late game to be interesting.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 26, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Clarste posted:

I've played Civ 5 for hundreds of hours, but I completely forgot that wonders even had narration and music, since I always just click "ok" immediately. I really have no idea why they didn't just do voice overs like they did in Civ 4.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Civ IV didn't have voice overs for wonders, they had videos where you watched the wonders' construction. You might be misremembering things.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cowman posted:

If that's the case then that's pretty cool and I'm more interested. Far as I know they haven't said anything about that style of expansion.

Taking a look at the gameplay video, the way that the main city Xi'An is set up he only has 9 remaining land hexes to put districts/wonders on, 12 if there's some for mountains. When he puts the Academy district down, you can see that there's tile bonuses. If there's not a way to move districts then I definitely would see myself screwing early cities out of optimal/mandatory district placements. I don't know how many districts there will be in the final game but the cities are probably going to end up being limited and specialized which could either be fun and interesting or extremely aggravating. I'm still not entirely sold on the district and wonder placement especially because the gameplay video is very early game and he's already filled up almost half his tiles with wonders, districts and improvements. If it's that quick to fill up then I don't have high hopes for the late game to be interesting.

I don't see telling my workers to build improvements on every tile in the late game to be a particularly fun part of the game. Even on harder difficulties, I'm automating my workers near end game. This district system will make the game more fun in late game because you have to think more about how to raid and defend cities instead of just having one tile surrounded by the pre-determined, optimized tile improvements.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 26, 2016

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I think you are definitely going to need to specialize your cities. There isn't going to be enough city tiles for the different buildings / districts to feasibly get them all in a single city.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure about "moving" districts, per se, but you can freely rezone most tiles throughout the game, for like if you need to start re-purposing farmland in your capital once you've unlocked more districts and/or need more housing. It shows in the video as little warnings on the tiles if you'd be building over something when laying a district down. I would imagine Wonders are an exception, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sometimes If I've pulled an early lead I go out of my way to build the Cichen Itza just for that. I also like The Pyramids wonder screen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Civ IV didn't have voice overs for wonders, they had videos where you watched the wonders' construction. You might be misremembering things.

They did voice overs for researching techs that kept going after you clicked ok. I didn't mean "voice overs for wonders," I meant "voice overs in general."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
My favorite will always remain the Civ 4 Kremlin for the "eh, close enough" award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnLJIOHhu0A

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

NAT-T Ice posted:

My favorite will always remain the Civ 4 Kremlin for the "eh, close enough" award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnLJIOHhu0A

I've always figured that had to be a joke. No way they'd get that far into making the video without realizing that the Kremlin is just in the background

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just listened to a guy talk about the preview build he got to play for 60 turns. Hyped.

Link for the curious

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've always figured that had to be a joke. No way they'd get that far into making the video without realizing that the Kremlin is just in the background

I do wonder whether it was a case of "we searched Google Images and this is what came up" (it still does--try it) or "we realize this is actually St. Basil's Cathedral but our target market doesn't know what the gently caress the Kremlin looks like or has any idea how Red Square is laid out" internally.

As a bonus, you also get GUM!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Pitt the Elder!

LORD PALMERSTON!

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
I believe Rise of Nations made the same mistake regarding the Kremlin, in fact.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Same footage, different YouTuber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0RGfYAiuR8

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y28ncnvoCBk

I mean I prefer Colossus but this one is just funnier.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Echo Chamber posted:

Well technically the most recent American leader used in a Civ game was JFK in Civilization: Revolution 2, but that game was largely a mobile cash grab.

Most recent leader to hold power in a Civ game? Haile Selassie reigned until 1974. Heck I created this timeline for Civ5 if you want to compare when the leaders lived:

A few pages back, but this is great. That weird century-long gap from 1600 with no Leaders...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I hope that the new policy cards system will have some nuance to it and not just be some switches you flip whenever you declare war. It will be interesting if they make it interact with diplomacy both on the city state level and world congress decisions (if that makes it in), otherwise it won't do that much for me. Also, I find it a bit jarring that some terrain improvements will be built by workersbuilders, while some by the city itself. Why the distinction?

Other than these small things, the new details make me very, very hopeful for the final game.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Chucat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y28ncnvoCBk

I mean I prefer Colossus but this one is just funnier.

A little sidenote in Civ2, a big chunk of the wonder movies music, images and everything else, are basically copyright violations by today's standards.

Hell, the sound you get in Civ2, whenever non-gunpowder units fight, is the sound of the Black Knight fight from goddamn Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Classical Game Design everybody.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rexides posted:

I hope that the new policy cards system will have some nuance to it and not just be some switches you flip whenever you declare war. It will be interesting if they make it interact with diplomacy both on the city state level and world congress decisions (if that makes it in), otherwise it won't do that much for me. Also, I find it a bit jarring that some terrain improvements will be built by workersbuilders, while some by the city itself. Why the distinction?

Other than these small things, the new details make me very, very hopeful for the final game.

I think you have to pay gold to change cards so you can't just switch back and forth at will. I don't know what the cost is for actually changing government types though.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The Human Crouton posted:

I think you have to pay gold to change cards so you can't just switch back and forth at will. I don't know what the cost is for actually changing government types though.

There's definitely some sort of cost associated with switching, since you only get to change freely the turn that you unlock new cards.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

crossing rivers no longer consumes all actions, what a shame, i liked that from civ5

Actually I think that's still in - towards the very end of the gameplay video, a scout with 3MP has the option of crossing a river into a flat grassland tile but can move no further (not even into a second flat grassland tile). At the start of the video, a builder can... so either there's a builder-specific rule or a scout-specific rule (and I'm guessing the former, because why would the scout be the only unit with restricted movement?)

But.

Throughout the video it looks like you have to have full MP to cross a river (see the horses and scout 30 seconds in).

So you need to end a turn next to a river, and then end a turn crossing it. What a ball-ache that's going to be for players used to Civ 5. However it will give rivers far higher strategic importance so maybe it'll play out well.

I rather hope there will be at least two grades of rivers, giving a nice 'tributary' feel and mixing up the movement restrictions somewhat.

Edit: quoted too much

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I rather hope there will be at least two grades of rivers, giving a nice 'tributary' feel and mixing up the movement restrictions somewhat.

I wonder if Bridge Building/Engineering will allow you to cross rivers normally, of if a road that crosses a river before bridges are in effect will have a reduced cost.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

So here's a cursory glance at one of the screens, attempting to figure out what's built by sight alone. It looks mostly on point to me, though by logical progression from Civ V's buildings, America's Film Studio would be the Opera House replacement; kind of off if it replaces a Renaissance-era building, but one of the initial screenshots showed samurai in front of a similar district with 2/3 of the buildings and a dinosaur fossil. Perhaps the Museum is the Renaissance-era cultural building now - some of the oldest public museums were opened in Italy in that time period.

The borders seem to support the "City (Center?)" as being a newer city, maybe with no Monument or Granary yet built. Unless it's some other kind of border extension mechanic. Also, the 12 districts are all color-coded, and it seems like blue for science, white for faith, pink for culture - the tile labeled tentatively as "Suburbs" is green-coordinated, which would correspond to population. Hard to tell if it's supposed to be a district in the sense the others are, though - while it surely increases Housing, there don't seem to be unique buildings within it. Also, the sea buildings on the second picture seem to be turquoise- sea district for Lighthouse/Harbor/Seaport? And there's a red district behind the pikes that's probably the military district for Barracks/Armory/Academy?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

A few pages back, but this is great. That weird century-long gap from 1600 with no Leaders...

The century where everyone was poo poo.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Gustavus Adolphus reigned from 1611 onwards though, I wouldn't count him a 16th century leader just because he was born in 1594.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
What's the chances this game will run more efficiently than Civ V? My girlfriend plays a lot of Civ V and is rather concerned the system requirements for Civ VI will be too high for her laptop.

She plays Civ V and BE on medium or lower settings just fine but she's using a lower mid-tier laptop from ~2 years ago.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JVNO posted:

What's the chances this game will run more efficiently than Civ V? My girlfriend plays a lot of Civ V and is rather concerned the system requirements for Civ VI will be too high for her laptop.

She plays Civ V and BE on medium or lower settings just fine but she's using a lower mid-tier laptop from ~2 years ago.

I'd be very surprised if it ran better than Civ 5. They'll have thrown in a ton of bells and whistles since graphics - as this thread has shown - matter a ton to players when they decide whether or not to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hogama posted:

Also, the sea buildings on the second picture seem to be turquoise- sea district for Lighthouse/Harbor/Seaport? And there's a red district behind the pikes that's probably the military district for Barracks/Armory/Academy?
It just occurred to me- cities that are one or two tiles away from the coast could still conceivably build ships. That was an unbelievably annoying thing, especially when its your capital or something and you don't know how close the ocean is when you start the game.

Between that and doing away with universal happiness, Civ VI is already looking to be better than 5!

And the first shots were just kind of jarring. That video where they play for a bit zoomed out more shows that the game looks gorgeous!