Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

OAquinas posted:

They added in some dialog for Triss to flesh her out a bit more. Nothing game-shattering, but that's to be expected for the 2nd-rate romance option.

Them's fightin' words!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

necrobobsledder posted:

The hardest part of that wraith swarm fight IMO is that even trying to cast Yrden can leave you open to a wraith warping behind you and taking off half your health. So you need to find the right time window to even cast it first, which means patience and some careful prodding. You really, really need to learn the teleport patterns of wraiths and their triggers to survive that fight. Being low level and inexperienced at the game is what makes that fight harder because there's another multi-wraith fight in a quest that I found far, far easier in higher levels with more skills at my disposal.

Regular Yrden casts quick, so a cast+roll should be safe. It's alt-yrden that gets dicey, but if you roll out of your yrden circle (to clear it) and get back in you should have enough time to cast it (and immediately dodge/roll) before the wraiths come back into striking range. But even regular yrden + spector oil should give you enough stopping power to whittle them down.

It's definitely worth it to wander around and try to get upgraded oil/levels before doing this questline though. Reliever's decoction should be a huge help.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

My decision to finally finish Witcher 2 and then finally start the game I bought literally a year ago now that it's attained its Final Form is looking better and better.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I was pretty hyped to see the ursine armour had gotten its fur mantle back for the expansion, then I booted up the game for the first time in months and found the mod I made that gives the bear armour a mantle still works!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The IGN review is up, and mentions "the return of a friend long thought permanently lost." If that means what I think it means, I am like 12th-level hyped.

e: The rest of the review makes it clear that it is what I think it means. If you don't like spoilers, don't read IGN.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 25, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I reinstalled witcher 3 and want to make a fresh character because why not. My first playthrough I did nothing but fast attack/spin attack with a tiny helping of signs, so this time I'm wondering if it's viable at all to go with zany potions/bombs? Or maybe just make a HoS character and respec right away? Or just do NG+? I'm lost on what would be the most fun

Also are there any mods that are worth getting on PC? I'd like to blow through the quests faster this time since I've already played it thoroughly and only missed a few quests before (including the Yen quest, hilariously, since I was sick of how bitchy she was)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 25, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alright I'm thinking of snagging up the two expansions, I have my end game save from when I beat the game last year.. I want to say level 31-32... are the two expansions such that I can just take my end game character right into them or will I need to start a NG+?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

mastershakeman posted:

So I reinstalled witcher 3 and want to make a fresh character because why not. My first playthrough I did nothing but fast attack/spin attack with a tiny helping of signs, so this time I'm wondering if it's viable at all to go with zany potions/bombs? Or maybe just make a HoS character and respec right away? Or just do NG+? I'm lost on what would be the most fun

Bombing everything isn't viable, but potions supplement any playstyle. Go full magic spam with some potions so you never run out of juice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pyromancer posted:

Bombing everything isn't viable, but potions supplement any playstyle. Go full magic spam with some potions so you never run out of juice.

Sweet thanks.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe not everything, but most things. Keep in mind with Alchemy spec you have 9 of each bomb, so you can get pretty liberal with them, plus they end up really powerful by the time you get to the third tier of each, backed by alchemy talents.

I just went through HoS on my second playthrough, first time using alchemy spec and it owns. Pretty much every equal level group of human enemies is Northern Wind -> Hack to ice cubes. And Grapeshot can basically oneshot a pack of arachnomorphs, once you get the talent that causes your bombs to split into a shitload of smaller bombs. A lot easier than wasting time chasing them down.

I find bomb chucking with potion supplements when necessary to be a lot more fun than the lame-o "stack 300 decoctions and be immortal" playstyle.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bombs own forever. I'm like level 40 and still use them. Dancing star allows you to stagger lock pretty much most flammable monsters. The ice bomb owns too. Getting 9 of each bomb plus the shrapnel perk makes them crazy powerful imo.

Alchemy is super strong. Max that toxicity skill that increases your toxicity for every recipe you know and you can run double decoctions and still chug a few potions without dying.

There is a perk that heals you 25% for every potion drank too. And the oil perks that give you extra defense vs the oil type and like 25% chance to poison with an oiled blade are sweet.

Alchemy tree is the strongest imo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That's weird because I had a bomb build which was pretty sweet in the main game but after the HoS update it became garbage and I couldn't kill anything with it (every bomb skill maxed) so I had o respec.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alchemy was ungodly powerful in Witcher 2. Virga, tawny owl and rook were my go to potions that made me unkillable while hitting like a truck.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Bombs are the best. My favorite way to end White Orchard is to just toss a bomb as soon as that final fight in the bar starts. It's such incredible overkill and just showers in the Inn with gore. The innkeep lady's reaction makes a lot more sense after that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Pretty much everything is viable on any difficulty.

Last I tried bombs their base damages didn't scale in NG+ so they kinda tapered off in power. That may have changed and it still works fine.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I think it's not so much the damage they do but the side effects.

Dancing star staggers stuff that's flammable. You run up and start hacking at something standing in the fire and it never fights back because it keeps catching on Fire again.

Ice bomb is great for crowd control or vs single big targets it let's you get 3-4 back shots in when it's frozen.

The gas one does good damage when you toss a dancing star after it.

Grapeshot does good damage to crowds too.

Then you have utility stuff like moon dust and dimitrium and poison.

Bombs own.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

The IGN review is up, and mentions "the return of a friend long thought permanently lost." If that means what I think it means, I am like 12th-level hyped.

e: The rest of the review makes it clear that it is what I think it means. If you don't like spoilers, don't read IGN.

books or games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

books or games
The former.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Also are there any mods that are worth getting on PC? I'd like to blow through the quests faster this time since I've already played it thoroughly and only missed a few quests before (including the Yen quest, hilariously, since I was sick of how bitchy she was)

I believe that the alchemy is only really viable if you put a bunch of points in it, so it's more of NG+ thing.

Personally, I used Fast Travel From Anywhere and Perks Always Active. FTFA works fine, I've beat the entire game with it, just make sure to never fast travel before you are reasonably sure you are out of a quest zone. The bit after you leave Whoreson's base is the spot where people usually gently caress up and fast travel before leaving the compound.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

I believe that the alchemy is only really viable if you put a bunch of points in it, so it's more of NG+ thing.

Personally, I used Fast Travel From Anywhere and Perks Always Active. FTFA works fine, I've beat the entire game with it, just make sure to never fast travel before you are reasonably sure you are out of a quest zone. The bit after you leave Whoreson's base is the spot where people usually gently caress up and fast travel before leaving the compound.

I prefer the one that takes the dirty lens when looking towards the suneffect off because i'm a photographer and that effect causes me to twitch and look around for a cleaning cloth.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Digital Foundry took a look to see if the graphics are improved by Blood & Wine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGOFYxY2oHk

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Leave Roach Alone, so Geralt doesn't yell at his horse, who really is trying its best.

No Dirty Lens Effect, that really took me out of the moment. I also might add a no water drop effect because boats in choppy water add too much splash on the screen in my opinion.

Manual Camera, because I don't like how fast the camera locks back in when you are on Roach. I like looking around at everything while cantering around. I'd prefer a 10 second delay or something, but all I could find is one that removes it entirely.

I'd looked for one that makes all the crafting and alchemy tabs start off collapsed, but I think I am going to wait for the last dlc before I go changing much more with the U.I.

I'm still looking for one that disables the hud, but shows everything when you go to the tab menu.

I had played around with a slower exp mod, but I don't think it's truly necessary in the end.

There really isn't a must have mod in my opinion.
Edit: Maybe alternate light source interaction, which only lets you interact with candles and torches when you have igni equipped.

captain innocuous fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 25, 2016

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
GameBanshee report that Blood and Wine will add an option for level scaling. Also some other options which I think translate to (my Duetsch is nicht gut) "Automatic storage (minutes)" (not sure what that is), Automatic finishing moves, turn off fish eye view when using senses, and...

captain innocuous posted:

Manual Camera, because I don't like how fast the camera locks back in when you are on Roach. I like looking around at everything while cantering around. I'd prefer a 10 second delay or something, but all I could find is one that removes it entirely.

and I think one is an option to turn off automatically centring the camera.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Automatic finishers is already an option, but I've only just started playing W3 so I have no idea what real difference it makes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm slowly realizing what a huge undertaking it's going to be to rebuild my save to where it was before I reinstalled Windows and stupidly didn't back up my saves. I'm in the middle of Family Matters right now and I'm already burning out. But I also don't want to just make an HoS-only and a Blood and Wine-only Geralt--I'd rather do the DLCs on a "real" playthrough.

:ohdear: I'm screwed probably

It probably isn't helping that I've been playing third-person fantasy action-RPGs non-stop for like two months now. They've been Souls games, but still.

I thought about just downloading someone else's save but the closest I can find to one that resembles choices I'd want to make has already done Hearts of Stone. :smith:

I found someone's save file that made pretty much all the same choices I did in my playthrough and is about the same level, perfectly positioned just before starting Hearts of Stone. I'm saved! :unsmith: He even had two Potions of Clearance in his inventory so I could play around with the build before playing. Started Hearts of Stone last night and it's already awesome.

He actually also has a file just before the Isle of Mists, which is good because it means I can go do some of the cool endgame quests again if I feel like it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Geralt seems a lot saltier about one of the endings of the nithing quest than I thought he would be considering He's basically making Jonna trip on her own sword that she's using to kill a kid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Konsek posted:

turn off fish eye view when using senses

gently caress yes.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Man Whore posted:

Geralt seems a lot saltier about one of the endings of the nithing quest than I thought he would be considering He's basically making Jonna trip on her own sword that she's using to kill a kid

I did find it kind of weird that Geralt tells the girl to break the curse, and she goes 'ok but only if he comes back to me' and then it didnt give me an option to tell her that 'no, if you don't break the curse you will die.'

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Harrow posted:

And the Witcher gear also looks the coolest,

Sounds like you never wore the Redanian halberdiers armor.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 26, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man Whore posted:

Sounds like you never wore the Redanian halbedeirs armor.

That stuff does look pretty fantastic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Undvik armor set is also pretty epic looking.

But gently caress it, I actually love all the other medieval outfits, they look realistic and not like some fantasy cosplay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Konsek posted:

GameBanshee report that Blood and Wine will add an option for level scaling. Also some other options which I think translate to (my Duetsch is nicht gut) "Automatic storage (minutes)" (not sure what that is), Automatic finishing moves, turn off fish eye view when using senses, and...

and I think one is an option to turn off automatically centring the camera.

See anything about trophies getting a reworking? I remember seeing in a rumor list that they might get touched up.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

by reworking, do you mean actually making them useful as opposed to so negligible that they might as well not even have effects?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Man Whore posted:

by reworking, do you mean actually making them useful as opposed to so negligible that they might as well not even have effects?
Yes, also make crossbow great again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man Whore posted:

Yes.

Also, woop, got my wolf medallion for the car. :3:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Palpek posted:

Yes, also make crossbow great again.

We're going to build a wall and make Dol Blathana pay for it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

See anything about trophies getting a reworking? I remember seeing in a rumor list that they might get touched up.

In the mean time, that Better Trophies mod is pretty good if you're on PC. I think they did a pretty good job of giving each trophy a unique effect without making any of them too overpowered.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Deakul posted:

Also, woop, got my wolf medallion for the car. :3:

It vibrates when there are bad drivers around, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pyromancer posted:

It vibrates when there are bad drivers around, right?

Depends on how close they get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you grab the medallion your vision zooms in and you see a trail of glowing red footprints guiding you to your destination.