Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Hum...it also might be- and mind you in some circles this is considered a controversial opinion. Every Gen pokemon improves on itself. I've always felt that pokemon's greatest strength was to push the line each generation design and typing wise. But that's just my take on it. I've been playing since Red and Blue came out in the states and I've found the hardcore Gen 1 people to be a bit strange, I don't get the romanticism that much I suppose.

I heard that a lot of the popular designs in gen 6 were by a new guy, maybe that has something to do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I enjoyed B/W and B2/W2 a lot. I loved all the new pokemon, I loved the gym leaders, I loved Cheren and Bianca, I loved Pokemon World Tournament, I loved medals, I loved Join Avenue, I loved the Elite Four. Gen 5 was awesome.

I would much prefer more sequel style games like Gen 5 over an "improved 3rd version". Starting in another place on the map was really cool, and it was also cool to have Cheren as a gym leader and Iris as the Champion. Iris and Cynthia are my favourite pokemon Champions.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I don't get Gen Wunners' blind devotion either, the first games are objectively worse. But lol if you think there's been a linear improvement, this series is uneven AF

I've almost always found something in each generation I really liked and that I felt built on first. So yeah it might not be consistent but at least it always brings something to the table.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Hammerite posted:

Who is the most Ron Paul pokemon, I wonder.

Dunsparce or Stunfisk.

I.e no one's sure who's joking and who's serious about loving, so we all just kind of awkwardly avoid the subject.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Killer Queen posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if every HM was a solid, usable move like Surf or Waterfall. But nope, we still have boring, weak HM effects like Cut and Strength that will never be good in their current form. It just feels punishing to have to stick one of those crappy moves on your monster friend and I wish GF understood that. :(

If they would just change those crappy Normal HMs into useful types and boost them to 70-ish power things would be so much better. Cut being an 80-ish physical Grass or Steel move or Strength Fighting would make them worthwhile.

Probably the most important change would be to make them easier to overwrite. We don't need them to be permanent anymore since we have reusable TMs and no more bag limits.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 26, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

If they would just change those crappy Normal HMs into useful types and boost them to 70-ish power things would be so much better. Cut being an 80-ish physical Grass or Steel move or Strength Fighting would make them worthwhile.

Probably the most important change would be to make them easier to overwrite. We don't need them to be permanent anymore since we have reusable TMs and no more bag limits.

You can still theoretically get stuck if you, say, surf to an island and release the pokemon you had that knew surf. Or trade your pokemon away when you're stuck up a waterfall. Its why you can't release/trade pokemon if its the only one you have with a HM move.

Players are stupidly creative at getting themselves into fail states and having un-removeable HM moves erases most of those edge cases.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 26, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zore posted:

You can still theoretically get stuck if you, say, surf to an island and release the pokemon you had that knew surf. Or trade your pokemon away when you're stuck up a waterfall. Its why you can release/trade pokemon if its the only one you have with a HM move.

Players are stupidly creative at getting themselves into fail states and having un-removeable HM moves erases most of those edge cases.

This is why soaring in ORAS is so great. You can do so without that pokemon in your party and you can even fly to different routes.

I would really like soaring to come back as a mechanic. It's way better than using fly, IMO.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zore posted:

You can still theoretically get stuck if you, say, surf to an island and release the pokemon you had that knew surf. Or trade your pokemon away when you're stuck up a waterfall. Its why you can't release/trade pokemon if its the only one you have with a HM move.

It definitely speaks volumes that the only way you can get yourself stuck via no HMs in the entire series is Route 226 in DPP, where you can trade a Finneon with Surf as your only Pokemon for a German Magikarp, leaving you stuck on the island.

But even then, it requires you to not have any Rare Candies to evolve Magikarp, nor any rods to catch a new Pokemon or raise up the Magikarp, or even faint to return to the last Pokemon Center. Since you can only obtain Finneon through the Good Rod, you need to have someone trade it to you and then avoid as much as you can to reach the postgame. It's nearly impossible to do so, but people have done it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
It's annoying that they made cut look so cool in the anime when it's useless. It should totally be steel and at least 80 damage.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Crosspeice posted:

It definitely speaks volumes that the only way you can get yourself stuck via no HMs in the entire series is Route 226 in DPP, where you can trade a Finneon with Surf as your only Pokemon for a German Magikarp, leaving you stuck on the island.

But even then, it requires you to not have any Rare Candies to evolve Magikarp, nor any rods to catch a new Pokemon or raise up the Magikarp, or even faint to return to the last Pokemon Center. Since you can only obtain Finneon through the Good Rod, you need to have someone trade it to you and then avoid as much as you can to reach the postgame. It's nearly impossible to do so, but people have done it.

How would this even be possible to do without theorycrafting this ridiculous fail state and intentionally doing it? I find it very hard to believe that a real person could possibly fulfill all of those states and gently caress up that badly of their own volition without outside influence. But I guess I'm also underestimating crazy people...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

It's annoying that they made cut look so cool in the anime when it's useless.

In the most recent Ash Greninja vs. Mega Charizard X episode of the anime Ash had it use Cut time after time after time for some reason, it was just weird

"Here I have this awesome ninja frog that I can fuse with, let's just use this lovely weak HM move the entire time instead of something actually cool and good"

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Well, theoretically it seems all it would take is skipping the fisherman that gives the good rod and then getting a Finneon traded to you

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Crosspeice posted:

It definitely speaks volumes that people have intentionally played a whole game just to put themselves in an unwinnable situation.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

less laughter posted:

In the most recent Ash Greninja vs. Mega Charizard X episode of the anime Ash had it use Cut time after time after time for some reason, it was just weird

"Here I have this awesome ninja frog that I can fuse with, let's just use this lovely weak HM move the entire time instead of something actually cool and good"

The power of moves in the anime do not always equal their power in the games.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Thanks Captain Obvious

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Killer Queen posted:

How would this even be possible to do without theorycrafting this ridiculous fail state and intentionally doing it? I find it very hard to believe that a real person could possibly fulfill all of those states and gently caress up that badly of their own volition without outside influence. But I guess I'm also underestimating crazy people... children.

Children can do dumb, dumb things. Like waste their Master Ball on a Metapod. My step-brother did that. He also got himself permanently stuck in Blue. He somehow got access to Cut without going through the SS Anne. Thus the policeman blocking the entrance to the Dig guy's house never moved. He went in the back way once, got stuck in the doorway, unable to move either forward or through the policeman. So, what does the little idiot do? He saves his game.

He had no Pokemon with Fly in his party.

He had the TM for Teleport in his bag, but no Pokemon in his party that could learn it. I told him he was a dumbass and his game was boned.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nessa posted:

This is why soaring in ORAS is so great. You can do so without that pokemon in your party and you can even fly to different routes.

I would really like soaring to come back as a mechanic. It's way better than using fly, IMO.

In ORAS you can use fly on routes, too. I would fly directly to the route with the day care.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I really hope Sun/Moon has flying directly to routes like ORAS did because it's a wonderful quality of life feature (and even better paired with DexNav route resetting), but it's Pokemon so this won't happen...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
As long as the roller skates come back, those are sure to have made their way from Kalos to Alola right

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dienes posted:

In ORAS you can use fly on routes, too. I would fly directly to the route with the day care.

Really? I guess I never noticed since I started using soaring exclusively. It finally made it worthwhile to have a secret base on one of the little islands.

Soaring needs to be in every game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

less laughter posted:

As long as the roller skates come back, those are sure to have made their way from Kalos to Alola right

I wish, but probably not.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hammerite posted:

Who is the most Ron Paul pokemon, I wonder.

Gold Stantler

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Takoluka posted:

Gold Stantler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I hope soaring doesn't take the place of fly. I like the concept of flying by using an item to summon a pokemon. But I don't want to have flying just be a different route style area. I like going"fly here", then having the pokemon fly me there, then I continue playing.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Por que no los dos?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

Ninjas need swords, I guess.

Dexie posted:

The power of moves in the anime do not always equal their power in the games.

Next you'll tell me that water and leaves don't create explosions on contact.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Gotta use the right LEAVES BROOO

*Sick bong rips*

Hey, you guys, Hawlucha has become my favorite pokemon, followed by Volcorona. Yes, I DO have good taste, thank you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hey, you guys, Hawlucha has become my favorite pokemon, followed by Volcorona. Yes, I DO have good taste, thank you.

nice nice

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Children can do dumb, dumb things. Like waste their Master Ball on a Metapod.

Good a use as any, in my opinion

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I still haven't used my Master Ball...what would I even use it on? Maybe an errant shiny.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah save it for a shiny that knows self destruct

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

No no no... Masterballs should be used on hard to catch Pokémon, like a Tentacruel or Fearow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shoutout to my good friend missingno for giving me infinite master balls that I then never used for anything

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I still haven't used my Master Ball...what would I even use it on? Maybe an errant shiny.

use it on the level 100 magikarp you can find in the resort area in platinum

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

very nice caesar-chan

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raserys posted:

real outstanding work, caesarino

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ampharos is a fun and cute Pokemon.

Nessa posted:

I enjoyed B/W and B2/W2 a lot. I loved all the new pokemon, I loved the gym leaders, I loved Cheren and Bianca, I loved Pokemon World Tournament, I loved medals, I loved Join Avenue, I loved the Elite Four. Gen 5 was awesome.

I would much prefer more sequel style games like Gen 5 over an "improved 3rd version". Starting in another place on the map was really cool, and it was also cool to have Cheren as a gym leader and Iris as the Champion. Iris and Cynthia are my favourite pokemon Champions.

You have good taste.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

Kasich is Pichu holding an everstone
I'd been thinking Swalot tbh because that man was 90% stomach on the campaign trail. Might drop Muk and name a Stunfisk after Cruz instead.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Muk is probably the best match for its counterpart though. Muk is what Cruz looks like when he takes out his artificial skeleton and pours himself into a bowl of Campbell's chicken soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

sharrrk posted:

Good a use as any, in my opinion

Zuzie posted:

No no no... Masterballs should be used on hard to catch Pokémon, like a Tentacruel or Fearow.

Actually, I found out what he had used it on when he was complaining to me that Mewtwo was too hard to catch. I told him to just chuck the Master Ball on it and have done.

He told me he'd used it already. On what? A Metapod. Why? I wanted to catch it...

I am a nice sister, though, and I temporarily traded him my level 100 Venusaur that knew Sleep Powder, so he could catch his giant psychotic kitty.

• Locked thread