Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

mine's 40,000 but i'm bad

e: actually i suspect it just builds up over time, i have 40% of DrewMoney's score with a little more than 40% of his time played

drewmoney posted:

I guess you could do score divided by games played? Seems like a useless number though.

If I found the correct Seagull (or not, tbh) it seems it's not just based on time since he had over 110k. It seems like a pretty useless number though.

I'm really bad and I have 49k at 25 games won. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

kaleedity posted:

Dealing damage to reinhardt/zarya/winston shields (like, the zarya bubble, her "shield hp" works like normal health) does not generate ult. Getting damage absorbed by d.va matrix doesn't, either. Doing damage to roadhog does.

And that ult has killed me all of once from Stress Test 2 til now, and even then owing only to cars being occasionally unreliable cover. Considering how insanely over-represented D.Va is in pub games, that's a pretty bad record

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im encountering unprecedented levels of salt in this game.

One guy today insisted that my team was a premade (it wasn't) and that people on the team were 'smurfing mmr' to get matched against new players. People tried to tell him there's no mmr 4 days in yet and that there was no premade, but he got so mad he gave out his address and told people to come and fight him.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Quick question: What do you guys use to record gameplay/highlights? I want to save a few decent ones and maybe record some games later.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there a way to save those highlights? I was hoping i could download them as a video or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aranan posted:

Quick question: What do you guys use to record gameplay/highlights? I want to save a few decent ones and maybe record some games later.

Nvidia Shadowplay is very easy to use if you have a Geforce card and doesn't have much of a performance hit at all.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a way to save those highlights? I was hoping i could download them as a video or something.

Not yet, but it's a known feature request for the devs. The Highlights list itself was just added in the home stretch of beta, so they definitely want to do more with it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also Shadowplay is pretty cool in general, though when I last tried it, it didn't really work if you're running the game in Windowed Borderless. (The workaround is to tell it to capture your entire desktop, but then it'll also record when you alt tab, sound from non-game sources, etc.)

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

totalnewbie posted:

I was on a 6 stack and some people got the shutout achievement but I didn't :iiam:

Yeah they've gotta be buggy, or at least some of them are buggy right now.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

exquisite tea posted:

Nvidia Shadowplay is very easy to use if you have a Geforce card and doesn't have much of a performance hit at all.

I have a Geforce, but unfortunately it's old so it doesn't support shadowplay. :(

Guess I need a new graphics card! :v:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Aranan posted:

I have a Geforce, but unfortunately it's old so it doesn't support shadowplay. :(

gtx960 is the current budget beast, or wait for a 10-series version of same (could be several months)

or if you're rich just get a 1080 or wait a month or two for a 1070

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

d.va does need to be tweaked slightly upward. She isn't worthless — you can win matches utilizing her — but you can also win matches without using ults or some skills. She doesn't need some earthshattering, ridiculous buff to be good, but she needs a little bit. At the least they could make her attack only strike inside of her effective range because new players try to use her at medium to long distance all the time. At any kind of range she does less damage than a fraction of lucio's baseline healing while feeding enemies tons of ult.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aranan posted:

Wait for the 1080 when it comes out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Got to have some fun as Tracer last night, first time I've gotten her to click for me. One map the 6 pubbies (including myself) kept getting picked off by a widowmaker who was able to keep up near constant ult. I swapped to Tracer finally, zipped across the no mans land and came up behind her gunning her down as she killed another reaper charging down the center. Overwatch 101 but felt good.

I need to bind her voice taunts, on a later map I got knocked off the edge three times by a really good Lucio. I'd hit my rewind and zip zip zip I'd be back face to face with him in the objective. Props to blizzard for the generous falling death timer, at one point I went over the edge and watched my timer tick down 3, 2, 1 as I spammed the button. Zwooop hey again Lucio we gotta stop meeting like this.

Map randomness does seem quirky. I do Watchpoint and Anubis offense and defense more than 50% of the time I'd say, I know those maps inside and out now, whereas I've only seen Dorado once and don't know Volskaya or Lijang very well.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Brannock posted:

Hmm, a meatshot into a gigantic headbox is certainly playing to D.Va's strengths

I know this is like pages ago but hitting four more scrap pellets in her head for like plus 20 damage isn't good since she just fucks off, or man fights you and you blow your load on the robot.
But most of the tanks are bad prey for road hog. A great Winston will buy enough time with shield weaving in and out. Hog can harass them pretty well but doesn't want to engage any of them really. Hell when other hogs hook me I usually kill them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I saw a D va get a POTG yesterday on Anubis by boosting over a wall and bailing out of her mech halfway through so that it went over and she didn't. Killed like 6 of us and chat exploded. Really neat play.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Wait for the 1080 when it comes out.

to be honest getting a 1080 for overwatch is kind of overkill

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Symmetra feels really strong for the first half of Anubis and King's Row as you have some really favorable layouts for turret placement and places to hide teleporters. Plus we're still in the early stages of the game where people will run right into your sentry turrets.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And that ult has killed me all of once from Stress Test 2 til now, and even then owing only to cars being occasionally unreliable cover. Considering how insanely over-represented D.Va is in pub games, that's a pretty bad record

It really only kills idiots. It's a lot like the Zarya ult or the Mei ult or the Zenyatta ult in the sense that it facilitates kills or capture/progress by getting the enemy team to leave their position. Take Volskaya B for example - lobbing a dva bomb into the point means the enemy team is either heading back toward their spawn, headed around the corners to either side, running toward your team, or getting blown up. Rarely can they use the thing in the middle to LOS it because it's usually airborne over the point when it blows. So the mech blows up and the enemy is now out of the point and likely split up. Your team followed the mech in and is now in a good position to pick the enemy off as they try coming back in.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Efexeye posted:

I saw a D va get a POTG yesterday on Anubis by boosting over a wall and bailing out of her mech halfway through so that it went over and she didn't. Killed like 6 of us and chat exploded. Really neat play.

I'm sorry, but you're bad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

FAUXTON posted:

It really only kills idiots. It's a lot like the Zarya ult or the Mei ult or the Zenyatta ult in the sense that it facilitates kills or capture/progress by getting the enemy team to leave their position. Take Volskaya B for example - lobbing a dva bomb into the point means the enemy team is either heading back toward their spawn, headed around the corners to either side, running toward your team, or getting blown up. Rarely can they use the thing in the middle to LOS it because it's usually airborne over the point when it blows. So the mech blows up and the enemy is now out of the point and likely split up. Your team followed the mech in and is now in a good position to pick the enemy off as they try coming back in.

Zarya ult owns and works super well don't you dare lump it in with d'va's useless ult.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheTatteredKing posted:

I'm sorry, but you're bad.

who asked ya

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Zarya ult owns and works super well don't you dare lump it in with d'va's useless ult.

reading comprehension

nerox
May 20, 2001
I was playing Genji over my lunch break and having a lot of fun reflecting widowmakers, Hanzos, bastion's, and other annoying bastards to death. Beyond murdering people with reflect, what's the best way to use Genji?

I was pretty much running up walls and harassing, but didn't feel like I was getting a lot of kills doing it. Blade strike was good to finish off guys occasionally or a quick getaway. I really never could find a good use of his ult.

So anyone got some Genji tips for me?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Literally the only reason people think D.Va is secretly good or whatever is because she's easy to jack off to. If she looked like Zarya or Roadhog there would be a lot less people playing and giving a poo poo about the worst character in the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The appropriate reaction when your Winston meets an enemy Winston:
https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/68737416?t=19m00s

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm still upset that Ra Zenyatta doesn't have robot bird hands or wings or some poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Papercut posted:

I have to strongly fight the urge to play Junkrat on every single map and regardless of team comp. He's so much fun.

I gave up on fighting that urge

I'm having trouble finding a situation where Junkrat isn't effective

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The game really needs a voice clip that goes "find and destroy the teleporter"

Captain Autismo shuts pub games down with those harder than a pro Widowmaker.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

potg has it in for me, I swear. playing defense objective b at volskaya as Torbs, went full on berserker mode at the end of the game by hitting molten core with a turret watching my back and in an alleyway proceeded to shotgun five attackers all lumped together behind Reinhardt. That topped off a nice 15 kill streak, and kept the attackers away long enough to win the game. I felt like :black101:

potg was a genji ult killing reaper, dva's mech, and dva.

:negative:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I gave up on fighting that urge

I'm having trouble finding a situation where Junkrat isn't effective

I had to ask a Junkrat to change when we were pushing Gibraltar because the other team had Widow and two Pharahs. But yeah I agree for the most part he's a boss and fits in so many situations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey I got a support potg that wasn't a big Mercy res for the first time. I booped an ulting Zen off to the little side pit in Nepal with Lucio's M2, then ran around for a bit and did the same to a Reaper right before he could kill me, so that we could get the cap and win the round soon after. I played mostly Mercy in open beta, but now that I'm getting the hang of Lucio turns out he's super fun to play as well.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

nerox posted:

I was playing Genji over my lunch break and having a lot of fun reflecting widowmakers, Hanzos, bastion's, and other annoying bastards to death. Beyond murdering people with reflect, what's the best way to use Genji?

I was pretty much running up walls and harassing, but didn't feel like I was getting a lot of kills doing it. Blade strike was good to finish off guys occasionally or a quick getaway. I really never could find a good use of his ult.

If you can't find any posts in this thread with succinct "stuff to do with Genji" guides then I don't know what to tell you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I had to ask a Junkrat to change when we were pushing Gibraltar because the other team had Widow and two Pharahs. But yeah I agree for the most part he's a boss and fits in so many situations.

That's fair, knocking down (good) Pharahs is a bit of a bitch as Junkrat

In my experience though current Pharahs don't move or change height enough, so even if they're in midair a grenade to the face plus lobbed C4 (that thing flies much further than you'd think) is pretty easy to land

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I can see him being a bit of a liability at the hangar area in Gibraltar too for the same reason, that firing upwards with nades is hit or miss, but I tend to go for the high ground in those situations anyway no matter what character I'm playing, and C4 means easy access to the high ground

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nerox posted:

I have a short guide to Genji on the Overwatch wiki that you can look at if you want. It's not super indepth, but it should give you a decent starting point.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
How is Zarya considered? She is tons of fun and doesn't care about lovely team comps, while that ult is the best thing ever. She doesn't feel like a tank though, more like a beefy support. I end up as other tanks more often when we actually need a tank.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Dude at work only plays as Reaper, Widowmaker, and Bastion. He's my friend, but I kind of hate him now.

Just found out he also uses a controller for the PC version. I convinced him to at least give mouse and keyboard a shot. Jury's still out if he will try any new characters.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Minorkos posted:

to be honest getting a 1080 for overwatch is kind of overkill

It absolutely, absolutely is, but a 30% jump in performance over the 980 for LESS money is kind of hard to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Wait for the inevitable 1080 ti.