Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The comparison to Force of Will is interesting. I don't know how good Force actually is in limited but it seems at least solid to me, maybe better. When you 1-for-2 yourself with Force of Will it's generally going to be a huge tempo swing in your favor that may help you take the game. In addition, you can wait until your opponent casts a powerful spell that would hugely impact the game before firing it off, and unlike other counterspells you don't have to stunt your own development to guard against this. Finally, it's still potentially decent in the lategame since you can hardcast it against your opponent's next big draw.

Cabal Therapy on the other hand is a huge tempo swing against you - you're spending B and one of your guys to not affect the board. There's also no guarantee there's a great card in your opponent's hand to make the 1-for-2 worth it (and even if there is they don't have to invest mana into it). Finally, like other discard spells it becomes very bad when topdecking.

The problem with counterspells in draft is what if your opponent doesn't cast a powerful spell that would hugely impact the game? What if they go 2-drop common, 3-drop common, 4-drop common? If you sit there holding up countermagic while letting this stuff resolve, you're extremely far behind. If you do counter something, you're not ahead or anything, you're just even. If that counterspell is FoW, then you're extremely far behind no matter what you do.

Counterspells are best-case a 1 for 1 and worst-case a blank.

Counters are a lot better in cubes, but the set is going to have Giant Tortoises at common so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

Where are you guys getting the turn 2 hasted 7/5?

:goonsay:

From Reanimate which hasn't actually been spoiled yet obviously

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Turn 2 7/5 haste?

No, man o' war

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/735902919103381504/photo/1

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

hmm I see survive, force, stifle, and will in that flavor text :tinfoil:

brb underlining them and making a nonsense lovely image

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

little munchkin posted:

The problem with counterspells in draft is what if your opponent doesn't cast a powerful spell that would hugely impact the game? What if they go 2-drop common, 3-drop common, 4-drop common? If you sit there holding up countermagic while letting this stuff resolve, you're extremely far behind. If you do counter something, you're not ahead or anything, you're just even. If that counterspell is FoW, then you're extremely far behind no matter what you do.

Counters are a lot better in cubes, but the set is going to have Giant Tortoises at common so...
You don't have to hold up any mana with FoW though?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

Turn 2 7/5 haste?

No, man o' war

tyool 2016 and wizards sharing promo images with lossy compression. jesus. CR's is even worse, though maybe they are hosting it themselves and amped up the compression ratio?

http://www.crcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Green-Sun%E2%80%99s-Zenith_EN_HRR.jpg

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

little munchkin posted:

The whole point of FoW (in limited) is that you can keep up with your opponent while you hold up a counterspell. It won't be close to a bomb or anything, and you probably side it out against the all-common curve out deck, but It doesn't even matter because you are obviously first picking a Force of Will out of any pack anyway. I'd maindeck it if I ended up heavy blue.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You don't have to hold up any mana with FoW though?

Yea but between it and the other blue spell you're holding back, it's not like you have that much left to cast.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

that flavour text is very accurate to reality

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Show and Tell isn't on the reserved list right? Although, it kind of feels like they would make that a mythic, and blue already has 2 mythics. It's interesting, the online version has been climbing in price, I wouldn't expect that for any card that is potentially about to be reprinted.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loving the art on Winter Orb.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ok so I'm dumb, substitute whatever actually good reanimation targets they gives us for Maelstrom Wanderer. It doesn't seem unrealistic that there'll be enough self-discard / self-mill and multiple reanimation spells for that to be at least a subtheme in a viable limited deck.

So far we've got:
GB elves
GW enchantments
Presumably Burning Vengeance at uncommon and Firebolt at common means there's actually a bunch of playable flashback cards in the set for R/x, probably RU flashback to be a deck.
and I'd be surprised if blue-based control decks aren't a thing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ZeroCount posted:

that flavour text is very accurate to reality

Good thing veteran explorers put lands into play untapped.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I love the original Winter Orb with it's Mark Tedin art and the angry polar bear, but man this new one looks sweet, and the poo poo ugly modern artifact card frame actually fits with the illustration of the card itself!

I gotta get me one of these!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

UB LD control :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thisuck posted:

Speaking of old fun Enchantress Cards...

That plus Rancor + Yavimaya Enchantress = fun times till you get Terrored.

aw man I really want actual old school Terror to be in this set. Preferably with the original art, though that will never happen. At this rate they'd probably give us the crappy Mirrodin art, not even the 10th edition one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bugsy posted:

Good thing veteran explorers put lands into play untapped.

I was about to say that, Zoness's wit aside, that might be a legit hint in that flavor text

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Entropic posted:

Ok so I'm dumb, substitute whatever actually good reanimation targets they gives us for Maelstrom Wanderer. It doesn't seem unrealistic that there'll be enough self-discard / self-mill and multiple reanimation spells for that to be at least a subtheme in a viable limited deck.

So far we've got:
GB elves
GW enchantments
Presumably Burning Vengeance at uncommon and Firebolt at common means there's actually a bunch of playable flashback cards in the set for R/x, probably RU flashback to be a deck.

Maro said that reanimation is one of the archetypes they're seeding.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Also the "Eternal" format is and always has been bullshit:

Aaron Forsythe ‏@mtgaaron 12s12 seconds ago
Internet friends, we are not making any new or changing any existing constructed play formats at this time, nor do we plan to. Carry on.

"Bbbbut MaRo said it's when and not if"

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

That winters orb is beautiful.

Also, they better be printing dark ritual, preferably at common.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Speaking of old fun Enchantress Cards...

That plus Rancor + Yavimaya Enchantress = fun times till you get Terrored.

Now all they need to do is reprint Gorilla Shaman in this set and Pauper becomes basically the most well-supported format of all time when it comes to reprints.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dysgenesis posted:

That winters orb is beautiful.

Also, they better be printing dark ritual, preferably at common.

Entomb/Animate Dead T1 would be fun.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

just rust posted:

Now all they need to do is reprint Gorilla Shaman in this set and Pauper becomes basically the most well-supported format of all time when it comes to reprints.

I'll be shocked if they don't. They've hit every other pauper staple basically.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skyl3lazer posted:

Not if their solution to modern staples involved MMA becoming a not-all-reprints set

Which won't happen because that's not how moderns legality works

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Literally The Worst posted:

Which won't happen because that's not how moderns legality works

It wouldn't be any weirder than than saying "oh btw these random new cards in these planeswalker starters decks are now standard-legal".

Speaking of which, those planeswalker deck cards will be modern legal as well, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

It wouldn't be any weirder than than saying "oh btw these random new cards in these planeswalker starters decks are now standard-legal".

Speaking of which, those planeswalker deck cards will be modern legal as well, right?

I don't see why not

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

So in constructed formats you'll get to play 4 of these starter walkers, plus 4 of the walker tutor cards? They will need to be weak as hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mom at Rare... Booo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Mom at Rare... Booo.

Kinda disappointing but anyone that has played with Mom will tell you that card is busted in practice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Kinda disappointing but anyone that has played with Mom will tell you that card is busted in practice.

I've played with it. It's miserable to play against but that is in a very synergistic context... Seems like you should be able to go over the top of it pretty easily in this format but who knows.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Please reprint Aven Mindcensor. I don't even play anymore, but it always seemed ripe to be reprinted being an $8 uncommon that could have a nice new frame.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

mcmagic posted:

Also the "Eternal" format is and always has been bullshit:

Aaron Forsythe ‏@mtgaaron 12s12 seconds ago
Internet friends, we are not making any new or changing any existing constructed play formats at this time, nor do we plan to. Carry on.

Could someone throw some light on this for me? Was there talk about supporting another format?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zenephant posted:

Please reprint Aven Mindcensor. I don't even play anymore, but it always seemed ripe to be reprinted being an $8 uncommon that could have a nice new frame.

More MM17 stuff. If that. It's much more heavy played in Modern.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Judd Stackington posted:

Could someone throw some light on this for me? Was there talk about supporting another format?

no, it was conjured in the minds of people who read into minute details of statements and then make wild speculations

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Actually 2017 will have Standard Masters, featuring your favorite cards from BFZ, SOI, and Kaladesh block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wurzag posted:

no, it was conjured in the minds of people who read into minute details of statements and then make wild speculations

It was pretty funny how quickly it went from some moron talking out of his rear end on the internet to people at my LGS talking about it like it was gospel.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Standard Masters sounds like a good idea for that Mishra's Photoshop twitter account.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I must momentarily interrupt spoiler season to share my new cat. I give you, PHYREXIAN OBLITERATOR :3: (Rexie)

I'm done being a crazy cat person. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this was cool until you linked a terminally unfunny comic

• Locked thread