Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah dude you're 6 months behind on that :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Naked Bear posted:

Best start ACAP-ing like a motherfucker.

I can't, too busy at work to take time off. :v:

For real though, I'm going to just start making more me-time. I actually need to schedule a few appointments and not just "lol SPC 'dental appointment'!!" types, get ACAP started, renew my CompTIA poo poo, and start applying for jobs. I don't mind being busy if I'm being busy for myself. Is that selfish? Probably, I don't care. gently caress the army, save yourself.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
One of my army buddies was in a wreck a few days ago and is critical.

A person was killed in the wreck too.

What scares me is my buddy has been a massive alcoholic (lol army armed forces) for about a decade.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Is the implication that you are more worried about all the DnD training that is about to be unleashed than your buddy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the gently caress is a comp day?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

A myth. Shhhh, go to sleep little boy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'll tell you when you're older

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The go-to response for "well it sucks more on a deployment!!!" is "yeah but we get to shoot things and walk around in shower shoes with our shirts untucked all the time"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

The go-to response for "well it sucks more on a deployment!!!" is "yeah but we get to shoot things and walk around in shower shoes with our shirts untucked all the time"

Let me tell you about the magical land that was Bagram.

All the poo poo parts of deployment like scheduling, none of that cool stuff. It was a loving mandatory salute zone with assholes checking your PT uniforms for morning PT. A deployed environment getting indirect fire on a regular basis and more than a few VBIEDs stopped at the gates but there was a scheduled time in the morning for everyone to run PT up and down disney street. You see traffic had to be stopped FOR SAFETY, so if traffic is going to be stopped it has to be a scheduled, daily event so everyone knows when it's going to happen.

Yeah. Everyone.

I was only ever a part of that poo poo show for like a week because I drat well jumped at taking the night shift but for me it will always be living proof that Catch 22 is a documentary not fiction. loving formations in a war zone.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but couldnt you get burger king and pizza there?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

but couldnt you get burger king and pizza there?

There was a small cafe thing that was mostly that TOTALLY NOT A STARBUCKS knockoff with a few snacks you could buy. Green Bean I think? If there was actually a burger king there I don't remember seeing it. I think I was on the other side of the base about three times during my year and two of those times were to get my laundry bag back. PX was stocked pretty good though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i think i saw green beans maybe twice ever

there was one on base at speicer but since i worked night shift i was never really around

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

McNally posted:

Yeah, why not.

Feres vs United States says no.

Salt the earth. Army delenda est.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Late for this, but burn it all and nuke a couple of times for good measure.

If you set up a go fund me and I'll donate too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SumYungGui posted:

Let me tell you about the magical land that was Bagram.

All the poo poo parts of deployment like scheduling, none of that cool stuff. It was a loving mandatory salute zone with assholes checking your PT uniforms for morning PT. A deployed environment getting indirect fire on a regular basis and more than a few VBIEDs stopped at the gates but there was a scheduled time in the morning for everyone to run PT up and down disney street. You see traffic had to be stopped FOR SAFETY, so if traffic is going to be stopped it has to be a scheduled, daily event so everyone knows when it's going to happen.

Yeah. Everyone.

I was only ever a part of that poo poo show for like a week because I drat well jumped at taking the night shift but for me it will always be living proof that Catch 22 is a documentary not fiction. loving formations in a war zone.

This. This was Balad too. People are always like "pffft you lived in vacation land." Mother fucker, you ever live where there is a mass influx of people during tourist season? It's not a nice place to live when it takes 2 hours to go 4 miles becuase the roads are all loving hogged by goddamn summer beach goers. Plus sometimes the mortars got close to where I was and it wasn't fun. I was also told I was being a dumbass for wanting to go out and shoot back at the mother fuckers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bagram combined all of the dumbness of garrison with all of the not being able to drink it away of deployment. Outside of the fairly routine rocket fire and F16 pilots doing unrestricted takeoffs, it was hard to tell you were in a war zone.

Me and my guys were actually far happier and less stressed when we got forward deployed to a small FOB in a much more kinetic area just because it cut out so much of the bullshit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 25, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Bagram combined all of the dumbness of garrison with all of the not being able to drink it away of deployment. Outside of the fairly routine rocket fire and F16 pilots doing unrestricted takeoffs, it was hard to tell you were in a war zone.

Me and my guys were actually far happier and less stressed when we got forward deployed to a small FOB in a much more kinetic area just because it cut out so much of the bullshit.

The same was kinda with Balad. I mean, I was close enough to the fence, CRAMS, and main buildings that you could tell you were in a war zone. Especially with the 240/249s going off at the guard tower, CRAMS waking everyone the gently caress up, and constant god voice call outs or periodic booms. It didn't change the fact that it was dumb as hell, you were expected to salute and everything.

I literally had to be talked to by my SGM and a few officers about the my refusal to do 5ks every month who didn't seem to understand why I thought a large gathering of people right after morning prayers with sight lines to the chain link fence protecting us from the outside was a bad idea. Same with any formations.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Just lol if you weren't chilling on a COP during a deployment.
Sure we lived in a place the size of a football field but the duty uniform was tan t-shirts and pt shorts.

The chillest time I'd ever spent in the army with the exception of the indirect fire, fire fights, and my piece of poo poo squad leader.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
For some reason it seems like fobbits and big bases were even more retarded in Afghanistan than Iraq. It was stupid when I'd visit big bases in Iraq but holy gently caress it was people going full retard with poo poo like that in Afghanistan

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

For some reason it seems like fobbits and big bases were even more retarded in Afghanistan than Iraq. It was stupid when I'd visit big bases in Iraq but holy gently caress it was people going full retard with poo poo like that in Afghanistan

That's because the people that deployed to Afghanistan that were in charge had the experience of Iraq to improve upon.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd rather be in firefights and poo poo, being on a small base, than being based in a place like Kandahar ever again. Iraq was awesome because we were in such a small cutoff from everything else COP that none of the shitheads who have nothing better to do than gently caress with people with gay poo poo wouldn't ever come out to us because they didn't want to risk getting blown the gently caress up or ambushed. No one important enough would even take Blackhawks out to us because the landing (dirt) pad was in full view of the other side of the Tigris and anyone that wanted to take potshots at landing and taking off birds.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

That's because the people that deployed to Afghanistan that were in charge had the experience of Iraq to improve upon.

Lol

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We got stationed on the SF /seal compound in Baghdad by camp slayer. We dreaded going to our battalion hq on slayer because of all the bullshit. We just want to wear shorts tennis shoes and sleeveless shirts leave us alone :(

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Some genius sent an email to about 2400 HR people in the Reserves yesterday saying "Please let me know if you aren't an HR professional". My inbox has been struggling this morning under the load of 60+ people who failed basic reading comprehension, people replying to all telling people to stop replying to all, and people replying to all to tell the first group that they didn't need to respond if they're an HR pro.

One person just responded "#replyall #keepitgoing,"

one person replied with

and one just hit us all with

It's a good Wednesday.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I had to in process as at KAF for a week and holy poo poo that place is dumb, they literally have MPs who drive around and give tickets to people for not wearing pt belts.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Retardog posted:

Some genius sent an email to about 2400 HR people in the Reserves yesterday saying "Please let me know if you aren't an HR professional". My inbox has been struggling this morning under the load of 60+ people who failed basic reading comprehension, people replying to all telling people to stop replying to all, and people replying to all to tell the first group that they didn't need to respond if they're an HR pro.

One person just responded "#replyall #keepitgoing,"

one person replied with

and one just hit us all with

It's a good Wednesday.

Still not as amazing as the dude who somehow included a distro with tens of thousands of people on it with their sob story.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ace of Baes posted:

I had to in process as at KAF for a week and holy poo poo that place is dumb, they literally have MPs who drive around and give tickets to people for not wearing pt belts.

I remember in June of 2011 in KAF we had an emergency blood drive for some poor bastard that got blown in half, and they didn't have enough blood; there was an article about the initial blood drive being started by the dudes that flew him in driving around like mad trying to rally people walking around for blood -- the MP's tried to give them a ticket for speeding while their buddy is bleeding out.

gently caress the MP's.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress MPs forever and ever amen, especially for that holy gently caress

i would just straight up beat the gently caress out of someone pulling me over while my buddy is bleeding out

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

gently caress MPs forever and ever amen

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress the military forever and ever. Amen.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh is KAF the land of pizza and insanity? I think I got that confused with Bagram earlier. Never went to Afghanistan but the stories I heard, much like the one Wasabi posted, have all been just loving insane.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
McNally I don't remember, have you already initiated a Congressional inquiry? Because this seems exactly like the situation a congressional is for.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

oh is KAF the land of pizza and insanity? I think I got that confused with Bagram earlier. Never went to Afghanistan but the stories I heard, much like the one Wasabi posted, have all been just loving insane.

Bagram had a bunch of fast food poo poo by their main PX for a little bit, along with hour long massages for $20 by sometimes vaguely attractive Kyrgyz women. It got shut down a bunch of times though, once because McChrystal was a jerk and a bunch of times because of ridiculous health violations. If your deployment happened to be during one of those times then you might have missed eating rotten chicken and powder frappucinos before you ended up at your shithole COP wherever.

I don't know I didn't mind BAF because I was only ever there for a day or two at a time before / after leave and deployments and poo poo. If I had to live there and do actual work that place would be a hellhole.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Bagram had a bunch of fast food poo poo by their main PX for a little bit, along with hour long massages for $20 by sometimes vaguely attractive Kyrgyz women. It got shut down a bunch of times though, once because McChrystal was a jerk and a bunch of times because of ridiculous health violations. If your deployment happened to be during one of those times then you might have missed eating rotten chicken and powder frappucinos before you ended up at your shithole COP wherever.

I don't know I didn't mind BAF because I was only ever there for a day or two at a time before / after leave and deployments and poo poo. If I had to live there and do actual work that place would be a hellhole.

Best part about the massage place was the number of papers posted all over the place telling Joe to stop asking for happy endings

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

sky shark posted:

McNally I don't remember, have you already initiated a Congressional inquiry? Because this seems exactly like the situation a congressional is for.

I'm waiting for the LOD investigation to finish before I start raining cleansing fire upon them. Just in case.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I was there off and on for a few weeks but them the end of or deployment was pretty much Thanksgiving-New Year's in the transient tents, so our entire battalion lived in one pair of giant tents on Kandahar. About one third of our battalion rarely left Kandahar. Basically we ripped out fast and had no mission, but command wanted to stay over until the first week of January. They literally kept us in country for nothing, so I had nothing to do for over a month but wander around the base.

There was a "boardwalk" where you had various hajj shops, massage parlor, a burger joint, Green Bean (my fellow POGs love this poo poo, I feel like it is just burned coffee that took too long to get), a German tactical gear shop (neat poo poo, expensive and pointless for us; therefore it was wildly popular), a TGI Fridays that was a huge rip off and incredibly slow (hours for orders to arrive), and a Napoli style pizza joint that was actually OK.

Around the area was the awesome "Blue PX" which was the same as an American PX but had European goods like nice chocolate, decent cigars and civvies that weren't a bald eagle crying at a reflection of the twin towers falling over a Tapout logo, and the English DFAC, Luxembourg. They had the best loving chow, especially on the holidays, because it was decent English food or it was Indian food made by Indians.

So despite having all this poo poo available, to include the other basic poo poo you get on big bases, we had two loving morons decide to go drinking on NYE and get caught. We had less than a week left in country.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 26, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember in June of 2011 in KAF we had an emergency blood drive for some poor bastard that got blown in half, and they didn't have enough blood; there was an article about the initial blood drive being started by the dudes that flew him in driving around like mad trying to rally people walking around for blood -- the MP's tried to give them a ticket for speeding while their buddy is bleeding out.

gently caress the MP's.

This is actually routine on smaller FOBs and COPs with FSTs. They don't have storage for blood, so the blood supply is the people living there.

We didn't have any MPs to pull people over, though. Somehow, we survived.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would gladly stay twice as long at a tiny COP over a megabase when deployed. There's no way I'm playing Army gently caress gently caress games when there's legit threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
KAF was the dumbest place I've ever been. Between the poo poo pond, the board walk, and all the retarded regulations it made me realize reenlisting had been serious mistake. The only time I enjoyed KAF is when MP's tried to ticket my squad for picking up laundry in PT's. Everyone ran like cockroaches when a light gets flipped on. I'm not sure if the MP's attempted to chase anyone; the MP's that are at KAF have to realize how useless they are, right?

• Locked thread