Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Oh ok so literally any of them that have chaos in the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xenolalia posted:

dark souls 2 retcons

Can you give examples of what you mean by this?

As far as I could tell there's definitely fewer references to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls, and we don't cross paths with Aldia or the crowns or any of that vital stuff from DkS2, but I didn't notice anything that seemed like a retcon. Like, in the sense that it directly contradicted Dark Souls 2 in a way that was concrete rather than inferential.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Can you give examples of what you mean by this?

As far as I could tell there's definitely fewer references to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls, and we don't cross paths with Aldia or the crowns or any of that vital stuff from DkS2, but I didn't notice anything that seemed like a retcon. Like, in the sense that it directly contradicted Dark Souls 2 in a way that was concrete rather than inferential.

I meant like Ds2 implied that alot of the places and history known in ds1 are completely lost or forgotten and then Ds3 kind of undid this. Don't get me wrong though, I love Ds2 I just feel like it wasn't going in the right direction lore-wise.

On another note though, has anyone else pointed out that the Firelink set's helmet is literally Lorian's Crown morphed into a knight helm? Like looking top down it's almost identical.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

In DS3 you do have people across the ages waking up tho so it makes sense to have a better recollection of history this time around. Along with (in)direct access to the gods that have survived since the very beginning it's not necessarily a hard retcon especially with Drangleic being implied to be a ways away now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think I'm going to cheat engine in the dragon slayer spear so I can try out and have fun with an interesting weapon.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

I meant like Ds2 implied that alot of the places and history known in ds1 are completely lost or forgotten and then Ds3 kind of undid this. Don't get me wrong though, I love Ds2 I just feel like it wasn't going in the right direction lore-wise.

On another note though, has anyone else pointed out that the Firelink set's helmet is literally Lorian's Crown morphed into a knight helm? Like looking top down it's almost identical.

It could be due to people from those times rising again as Unkindled. Astora could be known again because of Andre for instance. And Kaathe could conceivably be telling people about stuff if he's still around. Also, aren't places themselves being pulled across time and space to converge at Lothric?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

chaos pyromancies scale the same as the other pyromancies I thought?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
DS3 would make the most sense taking place between DS1 and DS2, but there's stuff that contradicts that, so never mind.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
One time I got invaded in the woods, while I was in the middle of a crab's grab animation. Then the crab threw me down and I died. Probably the easiest invasion ever for that guy.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah, they can explain anything with time dimensional shenanigans. People, places, whatever. Apparently the high wall just popped up out of nowhere. I think.

As for the cinder helm from the last boss I took it as a mix of the elite knight helm and Gwyn's crown. Fused together by the flame. Since, you know, the last boss was basically the chosen undead and Gwyn melded together.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

hard counter posted:

In DS3 you do have people across the ages waking up tho so it makes sense to have a better recollection of history this time around. Along with (in)direct access to the gods that have survived since the very beginning it's not necessarily a hard retcon especially with Drangleic being implied to be a ways away now.

Mm good point, i guess i just assumed that the unkindled wouldn't retain memories.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah, they can explain anything with time dimensional shenanigans. People, places, whatever. Apparently the high wall just popped up out of nowhere. I think.

As for the cinder helm from the last boss I took it as a mix of the elite knight helm and Gwyn's crown. Fused together by the flame. Since, you know, the last boss was basically the chosen undead and Gwyn melded together.

High wall was there it just used to be physically lower. I'm pretty sure it's literally just meant to line up with the bridge below it.

I also thought that about the crown but when i looked closer it's clearly meant to be Lorian's. That said it may not be lore significant, it could just be a style choice.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Charles Get-Out posted:

Just a friendly PSA that all DS games run on the same engine and the teams that handled DS2, BB, and DS3 were largely made up of the same people. Weirdness like DS2 netcode improvements not making it into DS3 are likely cause by directorial teams not communicating. Also all DS games are Good and Fun.
DS2, BB, and DS3 came out a year apart from each other. They took more than a year to make, probably two. An "engine" is a composite thing. When you have three games coming out three years in a row you can't roll every improvement/change into the next, it's not a question of communication but priority.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Well I guess so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjJCVylFBo

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Akuma posted:

DS2, BB, and DS3 came out a year apart from each other. They took more than a year to make, probably two. An "engine" is a composite thing. When you have three games coming out three years in a row you can't roll every improvement/change into the next, it's not a question of communication but priority.

Then it's a priority problem. It just gets tiring seeing people run out the same A-team/B-team meme and acting as if DS1/DS3 are running on a discrete and separate engine when it's more realistically a progression of DeS->DS1->DS2->BB->DS3

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What position do maces have in the PvP meta, if any?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Charles Get-Out posted:

Then it's a priority problem. It just gets tiring seeing people run out the same A-team/B-team meme and acting as if DS1/DS3 are running on a discrete and separate engine when it's more realistically a progression of DeS->DS1->DS2->BB->DS3
Just like, let it wash over you, the development history of the game series doesn't affect you. It's okay for others to get it wrong. I believe dark souls 2 was actually developed before demons souls but I don't let the dim views of those who disagree get to me, you know?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I think it's not that the high wall came from nowhere exactly, but more like the whole plateau that the Lothric castle area is on just shoved up a few hundred feet in the air over where it used to be. And possibly twisted to the side a bit too. If you shoved it back down and and a little to one side, the tall bridge that you start undead settlement from, and which has that other broken piece you can reach from the farron poison swamp area, would basically line up with the big doors in Vordt's room. And it would make sense why all the Londor pilgrims can be found dead along that bridge, and then along the path between Vordt and Dancer's rooms. It used to be all one connected road.

I hope one of the DLCs gives some more hints about those pilgrims though, and why they're traveling to Lothric, and why some of them apparently turn into butterfly tree monsters, and why they think they're all ordained to die once they get there, and why Yoel didn't die. And how they're actually dying in the first place, if they're all undead. Since not dying is kind of the whole point of the curse.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
How far from the end is the fake Dragon world where you stomp on the dragons head? I'm kinda done with this game.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

BobTheJanitor posted:

I think it's not that the high wall came from nowhere exactly, but more like the whole plateau that the Lothric castle area is on just shoved up a few hundred feet in the air over where it used to be. And possibly twisted to the .....

It was all a dream.

Continuity/geographical inconsistencies solved.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

!Klams posted:

How far from the end is the fake Dragon world where you stomp on the dragons head? I'm kinda done with this game.

If you killed a whiny teenager you are very close

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Time to farm swordgrass and ears. What are the best places to do so, and what item discovery should I aim for?

Edit: I can get to 311 without much trouble, is that enough or should I make that rapier that increases item find?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

EC posted:

Time to farm swordgrass and ears. What are the best places to do so, and what item discovery should I aim for?

Edit: I can get to 311 without much trouble, is that enough or should I make that rapier that increases item find?
Making and using the rapier won't hurt, given that the drop rates for covenant items are absolutely terrible. And by terrible, we're talking "why does it take an hour just to get four of these at maximum item find" levels of nonsense.

Edit: Swordgrass you can farm for at the Keep Ruins bonfire in Road of Sacrifices. Just nearby there should be three Ghru (weird-faced goat people), all of which have swordgrass on their loot table. Similarly, you can farm for ears from Silver Knights at the Anor Londo bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 26, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

!Klams posted:

That's an entire side area. Go finish Lothric Castle, complete your cinder collection, and you'll go to the endgame.

EC posted:

I don't know the farming spots but you'll want every significant item discovery bonus you can get. Make the rapier.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What position do maces have in the PvP meta, if any?

Kind of misleading to say that any weapon other than estoc and straight swords hold positions in the pvp meta. Realistically those weapons share all of the strengths of every other weapon type and none of the weaknesses. Embrace the One True Build.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Charles Get-Out posted:

If you killed a whiny teenager you are very close

He was whiny because he got beat up a lot because he uses words like 'purloiner.' What was he expecting?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

EC posted:

Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire. Run towards the woods/crystal lizard, kill the three ghru, back to bonfire, repeat.

If you also need tongues, run between the Perimeter and Abyss Watchers bonfires to get the ghru and darkwraiths to fight each other, kill the winners, collect all the loot, repeat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
drat, I don't have enough INT to use the Rapier, and it doesn't increase item discovery of you don't have the stats. Bummer.

Edit: I'm good on tongues, I did a shitload of invading in the early days of this build so all I need is swordgrass and ears.

Edit2: it doesn't increase item find unless you're actually holding it. :downs:

EC fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 26, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Kind of misleading to say that any weapon other than estoc and straight swords hold positions in the pvp meta. Realistically those weapons share all of the strengths of every other weapon type and none of the weaknesses. Embrace the One True Build.

People keep saying stuff like this and I'm becoming convinced they don't actually PvP.

Estoc and Dark Sword are strong in a numerical sense, but their movesets are pretty limited from a functional standpoint. They're not very difficult to play around.

The Mace in particular is pretty effective at countering them due to its Perseverance weapon art. Same with just about any heavy weapon with decent hyper armor. They get one hit, you get two. Your hits also hit harder.

Thrusting Swords have to strike frequently and in greater total numbers than many other weapons due to their comparatively lower AR and modifiers. They also have a large number of active frames on many of their attacks, giving them a pretty generous parry window. Edit: Also counterhit damage was nerfed in a recent patch.

Straight Swords have great spacing due to their wide sweeping attacks and forward momentum with each swing, but the Dark Sword's gains its greater AR at the cost of losing its poke (and as a result the three hit pseudo combo other Straight Swords enjoy).

They're pretty potent at a low level of play, but don't have a very high ceiling.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The CCS is a much better all round weapon than the straight and thrusting swords anyway (being a fast weapon with an unparryable option gives it a fairly unique niche even if you ignore its other excellent qualities) and weapons with both reach and hyper armour (halberds, thrusting GS / UGS) can make life extremely difficult for them.

Straight swords mostly poo poo on people trying to use slower weapons without using hyper armour properly, or just using slower weapons without hyper armour, which basically means anyone who just wants to PvP a bit for fun and doesn't sperg over it will get hosed by a straight sword user, hence their reputation.

The fact that they exist definitely warps the PvP metagame pretty severely, though failed parries being almost unpunishable with most weapons and rewarding with 1shot kills is more of an issue.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I've got a ton of characters with no messages written. Gimme some spots where you really do not want a message getting in the way of your entering a fog gate or opening a door :getin:

Emma's fog gate, Cathedral's first large doors where you most likely speedrun with a couple of warden ready to cut you up and suicide bombers, etc

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I have two messages with 9 appraisals.

I'm like a hollow Robert Frost.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

I love how your avatar appears to be yelling "POISE!'

Hopefully the dlc will delve into this conspiracy, but there's something going on in this game. We don't know much about the angels, but they're most likely in kahoots with Londor, if they're primordial serpents like the statues imply. This means that the dragonslayer armour likely attacks you on their orders, so what is their plan? And how does the profaned flame factor into it? They say it came from the sky, which is where angels come from! We're through the looking glass here people...

Also I've seen many teleporting dogs, happens most often when you're running away from them. No idea what part they play in the conspiracy though.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
My highest-rated message, at 30 points, is one I completely ripped off from another player. :shobon:

It's some nonsense line like "Time for now the real fight begins all the more if only I had a may the flames guide thee".

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Only messages I leave are skeleton related, but this game doesn't have near enough skeletons to really capitalise.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tykero posted:

People keep saying stuff like this and I'm becoming convinced they don't actually PvP.

Estoc and Dark Sword are strong in a numerical sense, but their movesets are pretty limited from a functional standpoint. They're not very difficult to play around.

The Mace in particular is pretty effective at countering them due to its Perseverance weapon art. Same with just about any heavy weapon with decent hyper armor. They get one hit, you get two. Your hits also hit harder.

Thrusting Swords have to strike frequently and in greater total numbers than many other weapons due to their comparatively lower AR and modifiers. They also have a large number of active frames on many of their attacks, giving them a pretty generous parry window. Edit: Also counterhit damage was nerfed in a recent patch.

Straight Swords have great spacing due to their wide sweeping attacks and forward momentum with each swing, but the Dark Sword's gains its greater AR at the cost of losing its poke (and as a result the three hit pseudo combo other Straight Swords enjoy).

They're pretty potent at a low level of play, but don't have a very high ceiling.

I don't really disagree about straight swords (estocs are op though) although their damage is too high compared to other weapons. Maces suck though and also I think the warpick is the straight up best one. It has the good move set and I think the highest damage of all small hammers. Anything you can do with a small hammer and to a little bit lesser extent a small axe you could do better with a straight sword.

Kinda touched on with perseverance talk but giving small hammers some hyperarmor would make them a lot more competitive. Maybe be completely crazy and give them hyperarmor in the beginning of the swing but not the end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Revisiting older areas in Dark Souls was never challenging though since you both dealt more damage, took less damage, ignored more hits and as you've shown already know their patterns. You may not think it since this game does lean much more on caution & skill but your character really is getting more powerful through constant stat & equipment upgrades.

Since in DS3 poise doesn't behave like DS1/2 you immediately always feel as weak just because you got knicked my a hollow's broken blade and usually proceed to take more hits due to the stun.

Poise chat: I want them to properly fix it. Not just turn it back on since from a lot of people doing PvP it just creates a ton of Havel users but currently having it off makes it really silly in both PvE & PvP.

Yeah, going back to High Wall with an Upgraded Character turns the Lothric Knights into laughable babies unless you still only have 400 HP or something. "Eh, I don't feel like using tactics. I'll just trade hit them twice with my now +8 weapon and laugh at the damage I took". But then, they don't have working poise either so that's much more forgiving than going back to fight UGS Cathedral knights in the Church.

I'm okay with the game overall, and overall it's still my favorite Darksouls now. But I'd still like the option to tank so much as ONE, of the weakest attacks in the game that will recoil even off a shoddy East West Shield, like rat bites or thrall axe hits.

Sadly, 99% of the so called argument against traditional poise is basically ":lol: just don't get hit then, problem solved! Poise would ruin (My preferred) PvP Meta! and there is literally no difference between wanting to soak a single rat hit so you you can one shot them without hyper armor, and being a huge baby wanting to face tanking Yhorm".

It is nowhere near as bad as it could be, at least, because you can't be hard stunlocked as bad as you could in previous games. If we were not able to emergency dodge roll out of things after the first hit or two, then it would be a complete shitshow... But the trash response to that situation would still be "Well then just don't get hit ever, problem solved, you casual!"

GulagDolls posted:

estoc has a good moveset. no one uses any of the other moves though.

Yeah even if it did the least damage of the thrusting swords, I'd still use the Estoc because of the moveset.

And also because as much as I love Straight/Great sword stance arts, the Rapier Stance arts piss me off so bad. They bounce off a hollow soldier's wooden shield, while even the broken straight sword can casually guard break a Cathedral knight. Or Havel.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 26, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

estoc has a good moveset. no one uses any of the other moves though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the Estoc has always been a good weapon due to its moveset. The lack of poise, the ability to get better AR out of it than DkS1/2 thanks to scaling infusions, and better tracking have just made R1 spam better than usual.

It basically rolled the good qualities of the Espada and Estoc in DkS2 into one monster rapier.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
uhh the excellent statistics and decent move set completely hamper the straight sword if we are talking about upper ceiling play

get. the .gently caress out of here. Straight swords and estocs CRUSH. Let me swing my cloud strife swo--- *gets intercepting by r1 six times before the queued block or dodge kicks in*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I bought the dark souls board game cause all the pledge rewards looked too sweet

quote me and tell me what a dumb person i am