Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

teagone posted:

Me too. That skin is :krad:

I thought about buying it yesterday but it would cut in too much into my highlight intro budget so I compromised and got the White Rabbit skin (which i actually like more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Before playing her, I found Symmetra to be one of the least appealing heroes. I've never been a fan of the campy turret playstyle, so I thought I wouldn't like her. After giving her a real chance, she's now one of my favorites. The ability to be really cheeky with turret placement for little downside really changed my view. It also helps that there isn't a scoreboard and I don't feel like I'm feeding points to the enemy. :v:

However, I feel like her skillset is a little underdeveloped compared to other heroes. Maybe I underestimate them, but shield and M2 feel underpowered to me. Am I missing something? I get that shield gives a permanent 25 hp, but that's usually like half an attack's worth of damage. And M2 only seems to hit people if you're lucky or they're stupid. It is fun to catch people off guard point blank or rounding a corner, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

However, I feel like her skillset is a little underdeveloped compared to other heroes. Maybe I underestimate them, but shield and M2 feel underpowered to me. Am I missing something?

RMB is an extremely good area denial tool and is also more-or-less an execute on most heroes if you can catch them around a corner with it. Much like with Sentry Turrets, you have to use them it in clever ways to get the most value from it. I'd say the only part about her I don't like is Photon Shield, and I hope they change it sooner rather than later.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

instead of giving people shields she should attach turrets to them

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Symmetra got a lot better when I realised you could put up 6 turrets, and not just the 3 on her cooldown.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

cock hero flux posted:

Doesn't stop me from doing it though. The lure of the hook is too strong.

Hook first and ask questions later. :D

If a player knows how to deal with it, you will know fairly quickly and can adapt.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The scrapper skin was my reward for constantly saying dva is not worth playing while occasionally playing her because I like aggressive characters

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Before playing her, I found Symmetra to be one of the least appealing heroes. I've never been a fan of the campy turret playstyle, so I thought I wouldn't like her. After giving her a real chance, she's now one of my favorites. The ability to be really cheeky with turret placement for little downside really changed my view. It also helps that there isn't a scoreboard and I don't feel like I'm feeding points to the enemy. :v:

However, I feel like her skillset is a little underdeveloped compared to other heroes. Maybe I underestimate them, but shield and M2 feel underpowered to me. Am I missing something? I get that shield gives a permanent 25 hp, but that's usually like half an attack's worth of damage. And M2 only seems to hit people if you're lucky or they're stupid. It is fun to catch people off guard point blank or rounding a corner, though.

I didn't think I would ever want to play Torbjorn or Symmetra, but both of them are incredibly fun.

Symmetra's M2 is really really good. I barely use her M1 (because if I'm that close to an enemy then I hosed up). Just unload her M2 into whatever choke point your team is defending, it really softens the enemy push (especially if they're behind Rein).

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
Symetra's ball also can play into an active turret strategy. Where you place turrets as you advance/near firefights and use that huge slow moving ball to taunt people into chasing you.

Also to ^^^^ Symetra's beam can be incredible against reaper, tracer, roadhog, dva and Winston when your turrets are set up right. If you can latch a least 2 turrets to them you can easily kite these short range charters and get the full 120dps beams to start spewing kills for you.

CrowdControl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 26, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just aim it right at the big Reinhardt shield because it goes through barriers and some people will panic and run out of position.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Does it completely ignore Reinhardt's rectangle? :monocle:

I know it pierces target, so can it do full damage to everyone hiding behind a reintangle?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I never actually noticed, but does the Symmetra ball damage Rein's shield as it passes through? I've never bothered to pay attention when I'm playing her/him.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also that borb does half of most people's health. They can't afford to just eat it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

M2 goes through shields (like Reinhardt's). Knowing this, do the needful.

25 HP is enough to make targets who die to a single Widowmaker body shot take 2 shots instead, and that is an enormously important difference. When it was a 50 HP shield (in beta), it was so good on low-HP heroes that they had to nerf it. (In case you're unaware, shield HP regenerates when the player is out of combat, so it's not just a one-off 25 HP bonus.)

Papercut posted:

barely use her M1 (because if I'm that close to an enemy then I hosed up).

Her M1 is extremely strong but it is based on sneakiness and momentum. Using it in conjunction with her traps is how you gently caress up tanks who breach choke points.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

pakman posted:

I never actually noticed, but does the Symmetra ball damage Rein's shield as it passes through? I've never bothered to pay attention when I'm playing her/him.

Yes it still does damage, and it also goes through Zarya's shields and does damage. Playing her on Hanamura's and Hollywood's first point is fun.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Twerk from Home posted:

The 980 was never that expensive, was it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/7

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

Looks like the day 1 MSRP on a GTX 980 was $549, and the 1080 MSRPs are $599 and $699 based on whether you buy the available soon "Founders edition" or the available later cheaper ones.

I read that it was 650 somewhere. /shrug. Still really huge performance gain for around the same amount of money. If you're going to get a new video card, unless it's a small upgrade to a much older video card (and therefore only a hundred or two hundred bucks), I think the 1080 is a no-brainer.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Level 25. Loot so far has been the trashiest garbage imaginable, with 0 skins and 2 epics that ended up being a couple terrible emotes for Soldier 76 and Zarya, who I never play. I've only made around 350 currency.

I hit level 26. Finally, a legendary! What could it be?! Oh. It's a skin for Winston, my least favorite character in the entire game by a wide margin. Cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soothing Vapors posted:

we were getting shredded near our spawn by a bastion so I switched to Hanzo, jumped in front of him and hit E to deflect

there was just one minor flaw in my plan

I bet that Bastion was really confused though

It took me a minute but then i laughed, thank you for this post

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vargs posted:

Level 25. Loot so far has been the trashiest garbage imaginable, with 0 skins and 2 epics that ended up being a couple terrible emotes for Soldier 76 and Zarya, who I never play. I've only made around 350 currency.

I hit level 26. Finally, a legendary! What could it be?! Oh. It's a skin for Winston, my least favorite character in the entire game by a wide margin. Cool.

its cosmetics so i could hardly care beyond mild annoyance, but it would be nice if they weighted drops for the characters you play the most.

i do understand though that their goal is to get people to buy the loot box packs so lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

we were getting shredded near our spawn by a bastion so I switched to Hanzo, jumped in front of him and hit E to deflect

there was just one minor flaw in my plan

I bet that Bastion was really confused though

a++++ for effort though :shobon:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Vargs posted:

you could always give blizzard 40 dollars to make the pain go away

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Vargs posted:

Not my problem you hate fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vargs posted:

You should play these Good Characters.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its cosmetics so i could hardly care beyond mild annoyance, but it would be nice if they weighted drops for the characters you play the most.

This would incentivize people to obstinately stick on their ninjas at all times to weigh their drop chances, regardless of what their team needs

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Sorry but Green Cyborg Ninja Dude is Fun with a capital "F."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Crasical posted:

So, after I got wrecked as D.Va earlier tonight, I actually went on the wiki and looked at some numbers on some weapons.

Assume that S:76 and D.Va are 1v1ing, nose to nose, no damage falloff, firing wildly into each other.

• D.va does 24 damage with each blast of her fusion cannons, which fire 7 times a second. DPS: 168.
  • S:76 does 16 damage a bullet, double headshot damage because of D.Va's giant hitbox, -5 a hit for armor, DPS: 290
  • S:76 dies in 1.2 seconds. D.Va will die after 1.6 seconds.

This is theoretically a great situation for D.Va (Close range, the bulk of her health is armor, which 'is most effective at reducing the effect of low-damage, high-fire-rate attacks such as Soldier 76's Heavy Pulse Rifle'), and she wins the damage race by less than half a second. If the 76 is standing in his Biotic Field, it's .2 second. If he hits you with his Helix Rocket or even just shoots you with his rifle a little as you're flying in to start shooting, your mek blows up instead.

A lot of enemies can just straight up damage race D.Va and win by standing their ground, shooting her as she approaches, and hammering the cockpit instead of trying to escape..

I play quite a bit of D.Va. There's two things you forgot to take into account; one is the ~25ish damage from boost, and the other is a strategy I like to call "Press the E button". You don't have to hold it for the full duration but your enemies have to deal with annoying things like reload times and you don't, which helps quite a bit. With that said if you attack a Soldier 76 head-on you're probably going to lose the mech just from the damage he puts out plus incidental fire, but you should also be able to finish him with your pilot form which ends with you alive and him not.

I dunno, being able to move while firing would be extremely nice for her but she's still fairly good at being an rear end in a top hat to the enemy team. Next time you give her a spin try flying at isolated enemies, throwing some damage and then using the defense matrix before either finishing them off or disengaging to go gobble up some health packs with your boost before coming back for round two. Play her like a tanky Tracer.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
How long is the leaver penalty?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone else had a thing happen where the game keeps moving them from a skirmish into another skirmish, sometimes 7+ times in a row? I've had it happen a lot the last two days and I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. half the time it reinstances me before I even pick a character

e: it usually says something like "not enough players, finding new game" but we never got a game in the first place

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 26, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Has anyone else had a thing happen where the game keeps moving them from a skirmish into another skirmish, sometimes 5+ times in a row? I've had it happen a lot the last two days and I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. half the time it reinstances me before I even pick a character

It's bugged and your best bet is to turn off skirmishing for now. I've had it happen a bunch the last two days and it happened to A_Seagull on stream earlier too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

pakman posted:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Your Computer posted:

It's bugged and your best bet is to turn off skirmishing for now. I've had it happen a bunch the last two days and it happened to A_Seagull on stream earlier too.

Alright, thank you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vargs posted:

Obviously you're supposed to main whatever the best skin you have is.

But I relate, I'm level 18ish and have gotten zero legendary anythings and in terms of skins I've only gotten a couple of the common palette swaps.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pakman posted:

there's a japanese restaurant i drive by on my way home from work and the sign says GENJI and every time i'm like :yeah:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

pakman posted:

Yeah he's a real F, F-!!!!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Attacking against 6 Torbjörns that lock down just everything is the same fun like cutting your own skin with scissors.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

I hope that's not you...

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

pakman posted:

Can't spell fun without FUuck You.

Also, how the hell do you buy additional loot boxes and how much are they?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I hope that's not you...

Ryujin no ken wo kurae

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How do I get the stats board or whatever up so I can see my team/enemy team kills and poo poo like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any Pharrah players out there that can help me find a use for my E? Do you aim for the ground near them or do you aim at them when they are close to you? I can never seem to find a good use for it other than on a few maps with bottomless pits to try to knock enemies in to.