Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I backed the Toejam and Earl kickstarter. I don't actually care how it turns out, the original is my favourite game of all time, so I had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've backed Battle Chasers and Bloodstained and I feel those were both good life choices.

Also watching Pat slowly turn into addict regarding Overwatch over the next week or two is gonna be a fun ride.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Megalixir posted:

I backed the Toejam and Earl ... the original is my favourite game of all time

:yikes:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Toejam and Earl is a series I see mentioned all over the place in "lets talk about retro games" threads. It always looked really ugly and bad to me and the very little I played it was just really really boring.

I wish I knew what the appeal was because I don't think I'd get it even if I played it when it first came out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Toejam and Earl is a series I see mentioned all over the place in "lets talk about retro games" threads. It always looked really ugly and bad to me and the very little I played it was just really really boring.

I wish I knew what the appeal was because I don't think I'd get it even if I played it when it first came out.
It introduced simple roguelike mechanics to an audience (young mainstream console players) that had never seen them before. Combine that with energetic character design and ear-worm music and you can see how it made an impact on people who played it at the time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That's fair, just kinda hard to look back at it now I guess.

Though speaking of hard to look at behold: Mega man's new look for TV. He's now a school boy named Aki Light and has friends like Mega Mini.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When did Potato Marshal invade the Demon Souls stream? Archive video 4, was he that last dude who broke Woolie's sword, just under a different name?

edit: also there's some pretty good "different angle" shots from artists of the new Megaman and he looks a lot better than whatever pose that official one is in.

It's a decent redesign. Certainly better than that loving Megaman Universe one.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 26, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I played ToeJam & Earl last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's hoping the new one is just as good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hope the Heavy Rain archive gets uploaded soon, I'm dying of thirst watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bFb3kpKeM

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think it's the tiny hand on the pose that makes it feel so bad. The foreshortening gives him a weird baby arm.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

No, he seems to really have weird skinny baby arms. One of his eyes is wider then the arm that supports that gun. If it is foreshortening, then he has a giant head.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Sorry to hear about your taste.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Kins posted:

It introduced simple roguelike mechanics to an audience (young mainstream console players) that had never seen them before. Combine that with energetic character design and ear-worm music and you can see how it made an impact on people who played it at the time.

Basically what I was going to say. It was all about the split-screen co-op/randomized items/random maps/random enemy placements. Characters were unique as was the theme, it wasn't easy (25 levels without any saves), and the music is also some of the best that gen. You had to use the map and scout out territory, either alone or cooperatively, and the tools at your disposal were completely random until you used them, in the form of presents. There was no other game quite like that at the time. Yeah, the game is slow paced, and they tried to rectify that with 2, but the game went from being top-down into a straight platformer and your co-op partner not being able to go off the screen, which meant it wasn't as good as the original. Seriously, how many 16bit games let you and a friend just start on a map and go in completely different directions? I didn't realize the mechanics or all the stuff going on in the game at the time though, I just liked it. I guess if people want this kind of thing in more recent times they'd just go for Enter the Gungeon and Binding of Isaac. It's just not the same though. There's a reason Toejam and Earl 1 is the best in the series, and why nobody talks about 3.

I do think it would have been better if you played it in the era, almost exclusively growing up with Sega I couldn't get into Herzog Zwei, the 2D Fallouts, System Shock, Elder Scrolls, Dino Crisis, Super Metroid, Majora's Mask, Day of the Tentacle, Squidbrush Threepwood whatever game, early Ateliers, Xenosaga, Saturn Bomberman (even though I played hundreds of hours of Mega Bomberman, I had no idea the Saturn version even existed), Sin & Punishment and a bunch of other games because I found out about them years after their release.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 26, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

HGH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MU5MgRV6U

This is so cheesy it makes pizza look healthy.
On the other hand I kinda wish they'd framed that one politician in the LP even if Sariff's a dick. Which probably means this did its job.

Eeeeeh.

Once again, they're framing people with robot parts as blacks, who are dangerous because they're so much bigger and stronger than us normal people. Couldn't they have addressed the real social problems of augmentation like they did in the 2000 Deux Ex, instead of going straight to shallow racism and copy/paste angry mobs?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Megalixir posted:

Sorry to hear about your taste.
You should be sorry, but not for the reasons you're thinking

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I only ever played Toejam and Earl 2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really hope there's already fanart of Huge Pat wearing women's armor already after DS3 #26 went up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eeeeeh.

Once again, they're framing people with robot parts as blacks, who are dangerous because they're so much bigger and stronger than us normal people. Couldn't they have addressed the real social problems of augmentation like they did in the 2000 Deux Ex, instead of going straight to shallow racism and copy/paste angry mobs?

you think black people are bigger and stronger?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

you think black people are bigger and stronger?

Don't be that guy, c'mon.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Roboracism was dumb but ignorable in HR (although rather highlighted by the game, you know, being racist), that they're doubling down for MD is uh, ludicrous.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If you want to skip to Woolie transforming into salt at Heavy Rain then start watching from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eg6dRdD414&t=57m48s

He just falls apart.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Don't be that guy, c'mon.

i honestly dont see how anti-augs sentiments are similar to racism when augs are genuinely diferent from non-augs, unlike race which is a social construct.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i honestly dont see how anti-augs sentiments are similar to racism when augs are genuinely diferent from non-augs, unlike race which is a social construct.

It's almost like cheap race relations metaphors are bad storytelling or something

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Captain Invictus posted:

You should be sorry, but not for the reasons you're thinking

Yeah I feel rather sorry for anyone who backed Mighty No. 9

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eeeeeh.

We aren't at Deus Ex 1, though. The story is still at the point where society hasn't been normalised to augs, so the issues being explored are inevitably going to be how we get to that point of normalisation, and I'm not sure what else people are expecting on that front. Humans have a pretty universal set of responses to other people doing poo poo they aren't used to, like loving the wrong gender or being the wrong race or worshipping the wrong god or replacing bits of their body with augments, namely to divide the world into Us and Them and then remove Them, violently if necessary.

Obviously not going any deeper than 'you're different so I'm angry!' and calling it a day or failing to explore any concerns unique to that scenario would be godawful horseshit, and while HR did explore the idea of 'tainting' your body with inhuman parts and the societal problems of creating literal supermen, it was pretty secondary to some global conspiracy nonsense, so there's definitely room for them to improve. I'm just not sure how you're meant to avoid any comparisons to things like race relations and still make a relatable human story. It just wouldn't be the human race if we didn't violently otherise people we feel threaten our existence as a race/culture/nation/pure human/etc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Megalixir posted:

Yeah I feel rather sorry for anyone who backed Mighty No. 9

I'm not. They backed it and now it's a thing that is bad, everyone who backed it brought this poo poo upon the world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: naw, too mean~

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2016

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We aren't at Deus Ex 1, though. The story is still at the point where society hasn't been normalised to augs, so the issues being explored are inevitably going to be how we get to that point of normalisation, and I'm not sure what else people are expecting on that front. Humans have a pretty universal set of responses to other people doing poo poo they aren't used to, like loving the wrong gender or being the wrong race or worshipping the wrong god or replacing bits of their body with augments, namely to divide the world into Us and Them and then remove Them, violently if necessary.

Obviously not going any deeper than 'you're different so I'm angry!' and calling it a day or failing to explore any concerns unique to that scenario would be godawful horseshit, and while HR did explore the idea of 'tainting' your body with inhuman parts and the societal problems of creating literal supermen, it was pretty secondary to some global conspiracy nonsense, so there's definitely room for them to improve. I'm just not sure how you're meant to avoid any comparisons to things like race relations and still make a relatable human story. It just wouldn't be the human race if we didn't violently otherise people we feel threaten our existence as a race/culture/nation/pure human/etc.

Even if the themes aren't anything groundbreaking the writing and world building are what's important. Because as long as you write those "themes" interestingly people really won't care. A specific group of people being targeted by another is nothing new. In fact it's probably the oldest human conceit ever. This one is just dressed up in stuff I care about. Like robot bits.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
At the end of Human Revolution, everyone on the planet with so much as a robot arm got brain-hacked into going on a mindless killing spree all at once. After that, it's not even prejudice to start herding augmented people into camps.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A good poster posted:

At the end of Human Revolution, everyone on the planet with so much as a robot arm got brain-hacked into going on a mindless killing spree all at once. After that, it's not even prejudice to start herding augmented people into camps.

How do you even write a sequel to a game with multiple endings? The answer may shock you.

Also the illuminati probably covered that up :ninja:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's already known that they're starting the sequel at like 85% through the 1st game, right?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We aren't at Deus Ex 1, though. The story is still at the point where society hasn't been normalised to augs, so the issues being explored are inevitably going to be how we get to that point of normalisation, and I'm not sure what else people are expecting on that front.

Something fantastic and exciting. Embrace the setting, take advantage of the uniqueness of it, and tell a story you couldn't tell without the robot bits. We could be exploring the real benefits and dangers of augmentation, not just medical treatment but true trans-humanism and the dangers of a society that can systematically quantify the capabilities of its citizens and discriminate based on engineering specs.

Instead we've got two sides, basically identical, both saying, "Don't kill me! I'll kill you first!" What could the moral of this story possibly be? That humans and augs alike are more similar than they are different? That's not exciting, that's an episode of My Little Pony.

And all of this is ignoring the fact that in ten video games out of ten, the story hinted at in the trailer is more interesting than the game itself's story. If this is the ceiling, color me unimpressed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
woolie kind of becomes a whiny baby in the last heavy rain stream archive

like gently caress that game and all but he gets really high pitched and starts shouting at everyone over nothing

e: it's all worth it for his reaction to the origami killer reveal

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 27, 2016

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm not. They backed it and now it's a thing that is bad, everyone who backed it brought this poo poo upon the world.

I thought the campaign was fine though? It just fell on itself afterwards. It's not really the backer's fault. That's the risk you take with Kickstarter.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
HR had really good atmosphere and cool side quests that's all I really want out of MD tbh.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pat was right about the sandwich

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

woolie kind of becomes a whiny baby in the last heavy rain stream archive

like gently caress that game and all but he gets really high pitched and starts shouting at everyone over nothing

e: it's all worth it for his reaction to the origami killer reveal

Heavy Rain has broken stronger men than him.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Anyone else looking forward to Week of Nipple Damage tho?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's something extra hosed up about pacifying someone by knocking them out and then shooting them in the head while they are asleep, I am not surprised it's something Pat does

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

There's something extra hosed up about pacifying someone by knocking them out and then shooting them in the head while they are asleep, I am not surprised it's something Pat does

...that's what I did for my MGSV runs, also eugenics because I'd spare guys with good ratings.

Gaming turns you into Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then again, all of the best friends enjoy shooting people who pose no threat to them, Woolie "itchy R1 finger" Madden most recently