Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Black leather interior+nonfunctional ac+:sun:=:supaburn:

I have fond memories as a child, getting into my dad's S10 with a red vinyl bench during the summer and melting my skin instantly to the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: ^^ My dad had an F250 when i was a toddler with red corrugated vinyl. He had to carry towels to cover the seats cause we'd burn ourselves climbing into our baby seats.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Black leather interior+nonfunctional ac+:sun:=:supaburn:

My car takes 5-10 minutes running the AC at full blast to cool the cabin off just due to the heat radiating from every surface. Seats are cloth, but they are black, and the wheel and shift knob are leather.

It's not summer in central FL until you give yourself the spicy keychain by sticking it in the ignition and pulling it out a few minutes later.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 26, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fyodor posted:

The Autodromo watches are pretty cool I guess and they intersect with AI nicely.

The one the founder was wearing on Petrolicious looks good, but the stuff they actually sell seems tacky and cheap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've spent literally millions of hours sifting through watch designs and the only one I liked was a cheap rear end Seiko 5. All the Swiss stuff now is too gaudy and huge in my opinion. I want a watch on my wrist, not a dinner plate.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enourmo posted:

E: ^^ My dad had an F250 when i was a toddler with red corrugated vinyl. He had to carry towels to cover the seats cause we'd burn ourselves climbing into our baby seats.

My car takes 5-10 minutes running the AC at full blast to cool the cabin off just due to the heat radiating from every surface. Seats are cloth, but they are black, and the wheel and shift knob are leather.

It's not summer in central FL until you give yourself the spicy keychain by sticking it in the ignition and pulling it out a few minutes later.

I was parked facing south so I couldn't touch the top of the steering wheel for a while. I made sure to back in when I got back.

Up north it isn't so bad, and I don't mind being warm, but hot leather/keys/vinyl is not comfortable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Watches are basically just as useless nowadays. It is a bracelet. You got a phone for time.

Sometimes I can't dig my phone out of my pocket and just need to know what goddamn time it is.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

1500quidporsche posted:

I've spent literally millions of hours sifting through watch designs and the only one I liked was a cheap rear end Seiko 5. All the Swiss stuff now is too gaudy and huge in my opinion. I want a watch on my wrist, not a dinner plate.

:?:

Tissot has a lot of very classy, understated watches.

edit: VVV meatpimp gets it (what am I saying?!)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 26, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Omega Moonwatch or any Breitling is the correct watch choice.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need to get my Skagen fixed, and my daily Invicta needs a new battery.

gently caress it, my gshock needs a battery too.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
^^^
Self winding watches are amazing, especially if you have a daily. I don't wear mine daily, so have a "winder", no complaints. Except I need to adjust the timing.. it picks up a few minutes a week.

meatpimp posted:

While they do look good, that's a couple cars depending on your budget. I can't do anything over $500 or so. 2x swiss army watches that I like a hell of a lot and one seiko I inherited. While I'd like to get more watches, just can't justify spending that much when I already have 3 perfectly serviceable watches.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

My dad's got a Breitling Chronomat with the blue face. Man that is a beautiful watch.

He got me a Tag Heuer Formula 1 a few birthdays back, and it's one of my favorite possessions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ssjonizuka posted:

While they do look good, that's a couple cars depending on your budget. I can't do anything over $500 or so. 2x swiss army watches that I like a hell of a lot and one seiko I inherited. While I'd like to get more watches, just can't justify spending that much when I already have 3 perfectly serviceable watches.

I've never been able to lay down the cash for a good watch. I get close, but then common sense and reason takes over. I've got a Raymond Weil W1 Chrono, but that's as nice as I go right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If I was going to wear a watch again I'd get a slo.

Vv minimalist and understated enough for ya?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 26, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fyodor posted:

:?:

Tissot has a lot of very classy, understated watches.

edit: VVV meatpimp gets it (what am I saying?!)

Not a big fan of that watch to be honest I don't need the huge hands or font, although Tissots are probably closer to what I like compared to other watchmakers. I'm not joking when I say I spent forever looking for a watch and I'm picky as gently caress, I really just want something as minimalist and understated as possible. Even the Seiko I have now, if I was able to change a few things I would.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I've never been able to lay down the cash for a good watch. I get close, but then common sense and reason takes over. I've got a Raymond Weil W1 Chrono, but that's as nice as I go right now.

Nice. I think I bought one of the three I own. Swiss Army Infantry Mechanical was a engagement gift from the Mrs and is the most expensive of the 3.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Posting a picture because I'm a big ol' nerd:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My everyday watch is a nice, understated Tissot automatic, and I also have a Moonwatch that was given to me as a gift but I don't like wearing it because a) I'm not enough of a badass and b) I don't feel comfortable wearing it because it's so loving expensive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have NFI what a Skrull is. But I do know quoted from someone who knows much more than I do about comics - "I think many people are missing just WHY the fans are so mad about the Captain America reveal, and it goes back to the history of Marvel Comics (then called Timely) as it existed shortly before World War II. America was very hesitant to get into the war. There was a shockingly large Nazi faction in America at the time trying to make sure we DIDN'T oppose Hitler. The staff of Timely (including the creators of Captain America) were watching scores of Jews being driven from Germany (including family members for some). They saw large Nazi rallies being held in NYC just blocks from their offices. Despite knowing that the country was NOT on their side, the Jewish writers and artists at Timely decided to make an overt political statement. They published a comic that showed a symbol of America, CAPTAIN America, punching Hitler in the face as Hitler looked over plans for an attack on American soil. This took place BEFORE Pearl Harbor when no one imagined the Axis attacking the US. Timely and its staff recieved death threats and bomb scares after the publication of that first issue that caused them to shut down the offices for a time and need police protection. But they stuck to their guns and were proven right when the Axis did attack the US and we joined the war. Captain America became a top seller to help GIs on the front keep their spirits up.

Captain America was created by Jews to combat rising Nazi sympathies in the US and to spread the word about Hitler's evil at a time when saying that would get you DEATH threats. Now do you see why some people might be REALLY loving OFFENDED that some rear end in a top hat has decided to make that character a goddamn Nazi?!"

The more you know about Rogers and how why he was created, the more mindblowingly stupid and insulting to the fanbase this is - there is no goddamn way they are selling more comic books with this one. There's shaking poo poo up for *reasons* like Thor (which is fine to me anyway) and then there is audience insulting like Rogers is Hydra all along is.

I havent been a Comic Book Nerd ever since I worked out how loving dumb they truly are (Which is why I have a paticular loathing for Spiderman and F4) but that's really on an entirely new level of absolute stupid. It's so dumb that for once I'm not laughing at how butthurt stupid nerds are being - which usually is great to do but I'm forced to agree with them on this one. gently caress whomever thought this one was a good idea.

You care more about comic than I do bud, and I run a comic shop!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Cakefool posted:

I do love 24 hour analog clocks/watches. I have been thinking about buying a watch, I might have to pick one of those up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't usually wear a watch because the metal tends to irritate my skin after wearing it for a week or two. I have a $11 Target watch that I put on occasionally, and a Pulsar I got for Christmas years back that I wear when I want to look a little more dressed up. My wife got me a Pebble a few years ago and I feel really guilty because I never wear it... can't have Bluetooth devices at work, and turning off Bluetooth makes it into a normal wristwatch I have to charge weekly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the metal of watch bands irritates you you may have a nickel sensitivity. Either get a fabric/leather/plastic strap or buy a watch with a guaranteed no-nickel content strap.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

fuggen watch chat. Now I want to go look at watches. :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cakefool posted:

If the metal of watch bands irritates you you may have a nickel sensitivity. Either get a fabric/leather/plastic strap or buy a watch with a guaranteed no-nickel content strap.

Just about every watch has a leather or synthetic option available from the factory (with a few noticeable exceptions), and failing that there are a bazillion options that can work if there isn't a choice.

Personally I prefer leather bands over metal because they are way more comfortable and go better with clothing because they are less bling.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Actually it seems to be the back of the watch body most of the time; the doctor said I might have a nickel sensitivity back when I was a kid and the button on my jeans would give me a rash unless I tucked in my shirt. The cheapo Target watch has a stainless steel back so welp, nickel. I've thought about coating the back with some sort of epoxy, or clear nail polish, or something.

My wife got me a titanium chain years back (not sure why, I've never been much for jewelry) and when I wore it for a few days I got a rash on the back of my neck. I assumed it was just from the chain rubbing but maybe there was some nickel alloyed in it too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nickel or tin allergy.

Funny enough, a lot of people with a nickel allergy aren't affected by Monel, a nickel alloy used in eyeglass.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Having a watch means you can tell the time without having to have a phone with you, which can be quite pleasant.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I still have an old Seiko diver's watch I got in Japan in the early 90's. I love Seikos, wish I could wear them :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a 12 or 13 year old Invicta I wear everyday. Works fine for me, though it's starting to not keep time as well as it gains and loses a minute every so often.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cakefool posted:

For when you need to know the time to within about 15min.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
My watch is a Garmin 910XT.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/outdoor/wrist-worn/fenix-3/prod160512.html - the SO's watch. Not just the best multisport watch but straight out one of the best bits of electronics I've ever seen. When my 910 dies (if.... drat thing is mext to indestructable) that's the replacement.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

About to go pick up the 320i:woot: It has driven less than 50 miles under its own power in the last ~4 years, tomorrow I start daily driving it. Guesses on what fails first and how many days/miles I can go before a failure?
Well so much for that. They mentioned the brakes were pretty bad but worked so I didn't bother bringing a trailer or anything. Worked is apparently really open to interpretation, they barely stopped the car at parking lot speeds. Then I got to see the work their "expert welder" did and it looks like garbage. Now I have to figure out when I can borrow a truck and rent a tow dolly to go get it. Dammit now I remember why I always do all my own work and never take anything to a shop. Was in a great mood and looking forward to driving it home but not anymore :fuckoff:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Some places, they toss it in the electronics chipper after confiscating it! Fun times.
Always fun to see the reaction when people realize they really aren't getting their phone back. All those signs you walked by aren't a joke and we weren't asking to bug you. If they're feeling really really generous they'll just wipe it and give it back after a few factory resets.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think I missed the point of a watch, I got a Pebble Time/Steel with a Seiko band to fit on my tiny, baby sized wrists. And because I need water-resistance, but mostly the tiny wrist thing, I had to return 2 other bands because they didn't have enough adjustability for me.

I like not having to pull out my phone to read notifications, and the Steel Pebbles actually look like nice watches instead of cheap plastic

Speaking of pockets, I have been having trouble quitting smoking, and a full pack fell out of my pocket on the train to work. I guess that's a sign to try a little harder...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Kastein saw your wiring sperg in Spyder's thread, I'll be bugging you when I start putting together the harness for the race car. Will most likely be building it from scratch and while I don't need to go full motorsport levels (https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html) I may.

Anytime. And there's nothing wrong with going that extreme, except it costs cubic dollars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

You care more about comic than I do bud, and I run a comic shop!

Hand in your nerd pass, nerdlinger :v:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I have fond memories as a child, getting into my dad's S10 with a red vinyl bench during the summer and melting my skin instantly to the seat.

Good old 1960s/70s Ford/Holden (GM)/Chrysler vinyl seats with bare metal belt buckles. Awful during Australian summers

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, we just went from a little understaffed to insanely understaffed. Had 2 people quit for full time positions elsewhere. One with a two weeks notice that we had worked out by covering ourselves very thin, the other with nothing but a note dropped on the desk while he was in buying poo poo with his employee account. The flake gave notice and the insanely polite and dependable dude dropped the note, go figure. And in the middle of all this mess, I've got to sclep my rear end down to lakeland for a full day to loving go to a corporate mandated training session on the job I've already been doing for the last 6 months. And its all right before the store managers vacation she has to take or lose for the year. May 2016 can :fuckoff:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

NitroSpazzz posted:

Always fun to see the reaction when people realize they really aren't getting their phone back. All those signs you walked by aren't a joke and we weren't asking to bug you. If they're feeling really really generous they'll just wipe it and give it back after a few factory resets.

Or in my case straight to federal prison.

I'll wear my watch, thanks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has imgur turned into a gigantic piece of poo poo over the past couple of months or is it just me? I have about a 30% success rate at uploading images nowadays.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes. Yes it has.

I wonder if there's a tool to download my images from them and re-upload them on another site with the same filename, so I could run a script on my blog posts to convert the URLs. Because if there was, I would.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Seiko 5s rule and that's the watch you should get. Amazon puts them on sale all the time and I got mine for $40. Good enough to be classy, cheap enough I don't mind if I bounce it off a bulkhead at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress that. Casio Waveceptor. Solar, atomic, and subdued. With a resin or leather or metal band.

• Locked thread