Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

this was cool until you linked a terminally unfunny comic

Truth. It's stupid that the one guy still has the same goatee 'many years later' and also that half the players are female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is where I post (like I do every time Magic name chat comes up) that I know both a real-life Liliana and real-life Jace, and guarantee that neither was named after their Magic counterparts. They are actual names guys and gals!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Really wish more people would call their kids Jeice because he was definitely the coolest ginyu.

Also phyrexian negator (gator) is WAY cooler than phyrexian obliterator :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

This is where I post (like I do every time Magic name chat comes up) that I know both a real-life Liliana and real-life Jace, and guarantee that neither was named after their Magic counterparts. They are actual names guys and gals!

I know a couple with a baby named Jace

They did name him after Magic

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was pretty funny how quickly it went from some moron talking out of his rear end on the internet to people at my LGS talking about it like it was gospel.

Kind of like that "Echoes of Innistrad" expedition redux thing that had zero reason to be believed but spread like wildfire anyways.

Seems like people are willing to grasp at anything, no matter how flimsy, if it somehow involves reprints or relief from the fact that nothing is being reprinted satisfactorily. Wonder what conclusions we could reach from this.

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

Our family physician is named Jolrael, Empress of Beasts. It's a real name.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I work in astrophysics and got into the game late, so Chandra will always be an orbital x-ray observatory to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

I know a couple with a baby named Jace

They did name him after Magic

Honestly I'm just glad they followed the rule of 'if you're gonna give your kid a terrible nerd name make it a real one'. That kid could have been a little Ajani Goldmane

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
My ex's daughter is named Liliana after the Magic character, but she treats it more as a Spanish name now or calls her Lily because she doesn't even play Magic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I must momentarily interrupt spoiler season to share my new cat. I give you, PHYREXIAN OBLITERATOR :3: (Rexie)

I'm done being a crazy cat person. Carry on.

That cat looks like a fine fellow. Hopefully he enjoys knocking over piles of magic cards as much as my cat does...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

That cat looks like a fine fellow. Hopefully he enjoys knocking over piles of magic cards as much as my cat does...

She already found the pile of draft leavings on an end table and immediately pushed it onto the floor.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A newbie basic gameplay question: if player 1 casts a spell and player 2 responds, can player 2 play any number of cards during his response before player 1 gets to respond back? Or is it one card per response?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

caiman posted:

A newbie basic gameplay question: if player 1 casts a spell and player 2 responds, can player 2 play any number of cards during his response before player 1 gets to respond back? Or is it one card per response?

Assuming they're all instants or castable/activatable as such, you can hold priority and cast/activate as many as you like. You will still have to pass priority back before anything on the stack can resolve, though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

My ex's daughter is named Liliana after the Magic character, but she treats it more as a Spanish name now or calls her Lily because she doesn't even play Magic.

Liliana is a nice name, and no one should be ashamed of it regardless of its origins.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Assuming they're all instants or castable/activatable as such, you can hold priority and cast/activate as many as you like. You will still have to pass priority back before anything on the stack can resolve, though.

Cool.

A related question. When a player plays a creature, it's technically going on the stack, right? In the few games I've played and all the videos I've watched, people just put the creature directly down in line with the rest of their creatures and the game moves on.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

caiman posted:

Cool.

A related question. When a player plays a creature, it's technically going on the stack, right? In the few games I've played and all the videos I've watched, people just put the creature directly down in line with the rest of their creatures and the game moves on.

It does, yeah. Its casting can be responded to. You don't usually see that represented in a paper game because there's not a physical space for the stack set aside the way most people play. If you play via a computer program of some kind (duels, mtgo, xmage, whatever) this is more clear.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Swords to Plowshare @ uncommon

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/735946502246268929

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Niton posted:

Liliana is a nice name, and no one should be ashamed of it regardless of its origins.

chandra is a dank name too

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

80s James Hetfield posted:

Swords to Plowshare @ uncommon

Even more Terese Nielsen in this set, not a bad thing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Love the serf tokens. I wonder if thats the same same art mtgo uses, but I dont think so.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Niton posted:

My great grandmas name was Lillianah... I'm not sure if she predates Magic The Gathering collectible card game though.

Also loving RAD VINTAGE POWERHOUSE CARD ISOCHRON SCEPTER AT RARE IN THIS SET!! Awesome!!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

This is supposed to be Ophiomancer and those tokens are supposed to be black deathtouch snakes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bugsy posted:

Love the serf tokens. I wonder if thats the same same art mtgo uses, but I dont think so.

My only problem with the art is that dude looks like a 1/1 at least. :colbert:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JerryLee posted:

My only problem with the art is that dude looks like a 1/1 at least. :colbert:

Yeah that's a well fed serf with very good hygiene.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Centered text is cool. I hope they do at least one centered text card for each color. What centered text cards would you like to see? I would like to see Dark Ritual. I kind of wish they had chosen other cards besides WoG and Counterspell since those already have centered text printings. StP would have been a good choice in white.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I wanna see basics with the text on them make a return.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

I wanna see basics with the text on them make a return.

But ........ My unlimited basic cred!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

But ........ My unlimited basic cred!

have some respect for the game

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

have some respect for the game

For real. Revised is clearly the correct choice.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Actually 2017 will have Standard Masters, featuring your favorite cards from BFZ, SOI, and Kaladesh block.

I hope they reprint Stormchase Mage

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just realized argothian enchantress means no goyf. Printing it three years (I assume it's in mm17) in a row seems fine when it's still $150. Guess it never impacted legacy though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Just realized argothian enchantress means no goyf. Printing it three years (I assume it's in mm17) in a row seems fine when it's still $150. Guess it never impacted legacy though.

Can't put too much money in the set!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

I'd rather they didn't waste mythic rare slots for EMA on modern cards.

I'm totally fine with Modern Printed Rare Emperor Crocodile getting downgraded to common, though.

Likewise I'm glad we got brainstorm and not serum visions.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Speaking of modern drafts, is there anything valuable in tenth edition for the flashback drafts or is it just a skippable core set?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sigma-X posted:

I'd rather they didn't waste mythic rare slots for EMA on modern cards.

I'm totally fine with Modern Printed Rare Emperor Crocodile getting downgraded to common, though.

Likewise I'm glad we got brainstorm and not serum visions.

Brainstorm is one of the two iconic cards of legacy. And serum visions never sees play in legacy. Enchantress is a key card in a fringe deck and would've made a fine rare. Goyf had a massive impact on legacy when it came out complete with ban talk. It has a legacy history and pedigree just as much if not more than enchantress. And obviously sees way more play than enchantress today.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

legoman727 posted:

Speaking of modern drafts, is there anything valuable in tenth edition for the flashback drafts or is it just a skippable core set?

Cruicible of Worlds is the main one, I think.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

legoman727 posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=10E

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cruicible of Worlds is the main one, I think.

Speaking of, what are the chances we see it in EMA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

For real. Revised is clearly the correct choice.

Revised used to be my Go-To because I love the sideways T tap symbol. But people hate it when my lands have the word "tap" on them even more.

I like em, so whatever *kanye shrug*

• Locked thread