Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

I liked Rebirth, but I don't understand why I was told to read JL 50 or Superman 52 first.

Like... what was I supposed to get out of that, other than "holy gently caress it's a weaponized baby who turns into baby Darkseid, this is idiotic" and "hey look Bad Superman died and turned into a statue or something"? Was it just to remind me why the New 52 sucked and was stupid and I'm happy to see it gone?
Rebirth spoils both of them, also both of them are followed up in the Rebirth comic itself, a lot of the plot points in JL50 are directly continued in Rebirth books, and the writer of Superman 52 will be continuing to chronicle Superman in this brave new era of Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SeannieDarko posted:

We're probably enemies too cuz I hate Cyborg and his being in the League at the expense of Martian Manhunter. He's a Titan dammit!

Are there people who like Cyborg?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jack of Hearts posted:

Sup

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jack of Hearts posted:

He's not my favorite or anything but he's fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Jack of Hearts posted:

I don't mind him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It wasn't "you have to read these to understand Rebirth" it was "Rebirth spoils these so if you are going to read them, read them first"
Yeah, see, that should have been clearer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well it's gonna have dozens of speedsters in it so if there's a way to introduce flash family members that's part of it.

It's not confirmed that Wally is in The Flash but it's heavily implied by the same spoiler warning Titans got, saying you should read DC Universe Rebirth first and newWally has a mysterious mentor who isn't Barry. Who else is gonna give him his old Kid Flash costume?

Please let it be Rorschach

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack of Hearts posted:

There are people that are indifferent to him at best. Anyone that says they like him is a liar.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
It would be cool if Wally's mentor is Max Mercury. Did he even show up in the new 52?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

He's not my favorite or anything but he's fine.

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't mind him.

To be clear, I didn't mean to assert that surely everyone hates Cyborg, just that he's not very interesting, and that I don't understand why people would actively like him for the character that he is. To me he's a guy, who's a cyborg, who happens to be there in a bunch of panels. Whatever.

The most recent Hark! A Vagrant comic, dealing with tit windows, linked to this, which actually made me think about the character other than a guy who just shows up. The essay is ideological and exaggerates its case somewhat, but, uh, yeah.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

John Yossarian posted:

It would be cool if Wally's mentor is Max Mercury. Did he even show up in the new 52?

None of the Flash family have shown up aside from Barry and Iris in the New 52. Very explicitly for the same reason practically none of them showed up after Flash Rebirth -- not being Barry Allen was a sin for the last 7 years.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cyborg sucks and I'd rather have Martian Manhunter or Plastic Man with the JL. They keep trying to shove loving Cyborg in, and it just would be better with anyone really.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
White Lightning: Making America and DC Comics great again!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Two Tone Shoes posted:

None of the Flash family have shown up aside from Barry and Iris in the New 52. Very explicitly for the same reason practically none of them showed up after Flash Rebirth -- not being Barry Allen was a sin for the last 7 years.

Well Barry is both Humanity's Savior and History's Greatest Monster, so he's a tough act to follow and precede and follow again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked Cyborg in the Teen Titans cartoon. Does that count?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No. Cartoons made Hawkgirl a decent character. An actual Hawk person. Cartoons can work miracles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

No. Cartoons made Hawkgirl a decent character. An actual Hawk person. Cartoons can work miracles.

See also Mike Mignola design of a silly character Mr. Freeze and giving him a tragic background.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

So what you're saying is that DC should sack everyone and put Timm and Dini in charge. Is there a petition somewhere or...?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Android Blues posted:

There's a pretty good article about it here.
I think I'm about as close to a SJW as you can get around these parts and this article made me want to light my eyes on fire.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Android Blues posted:

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

It's not a Titan graduation thing. It's a "from the beginning" thing. And there's several other good characters you can put into the Justice League to diversify them. John Stewart or Mister Terrific immediately jump to mind. And Mister Terrific also fills the exact same tech niche that Cyborg fills.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

To distinguish the two Kid Flashes named Wally West, I propose referring to red suit Wally as "White Lightning".

Grandmaster Flash

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Android Blues posted:

The part where he starts talking about how it's okay for Cyborg to be around Wonder Woman because he doesn't have a penis was enough for me. Jesus Christ that is some absurd and grotesque reaching.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Isn't Thanks Mister Black Guy on Earth-2 now or something? Or, wait, I remember him showing up in futures end, but I forgot after that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

It's not a Titan graduation thing. It's a "from the beginning" thing. And there's several other good characters you can put into the Justice League to diversify them. John Stewart or Mister Terrific immediately jump to mind. And Mister Terrific also fills the exact same tech niche that Cyborg fills.

Mr Terrific is a million times cooler than Cyborg, yeah. Stewart would have been too but that would have meant replacing Hal Jordan and they wouldn't do that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jack of Hearts posted:

So what you're saying is that DC should sack everyone and put Timm and Dini in charge. Is there a petition somewhere or...?
So you want another Countdown to FINAL Crisis then?

I am deeply ashamed.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 26, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm doing more reading on Rebirth since my knowledge of the DC Universe is fragmented at best. Why do we have two Teen Titans books both led by Bat Kids and why are neither of them led by Tim Drake? Which book will he be in? Is he back to being Robin while Damian is leading the Teen Titans? How is Nightwing not Secret Agent Man anymore again?That last one I may have already been told.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Hell, not being Barry Allen was punishable by being written out of reality.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

So you want another Countdown to Infinite Crisis then?

Countdown to Infinite Crisis was OK, inasmuch as Blue Beetle went out like a boss, and the loss of Blue Beetle kicked off a really great arc for Booster Gold. But I don't see either of those guys listed as the authors or editors, so I don't get it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Jack of Hearts posted:

Countdown to Infinite Crisis was OK, inasmuch as Blue Beetle went out like a boss, and the loss of Blue Beetle kicked off a really great arc for Booster Gold. But I don't see either of those guys listed as the authors or editors, so I don't get it.

He means Countdown to Final Crisis (typically referred to as just Countdown, including by his own articles on the subject, because that's what it was called for over half its run).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Ostrander did it first in his awesome Hawkworld series.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Nope. It means time travel to late 80s/early 90s and kidnap Ostrander and get him to write everything.

Android Blues posted:

Pretty much everything here made my head hurt. Something about because DC is a big company they shouldn't have black characters and by not having black characters DC is being true to their evil white roots?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SonicRulez posted:

I'm doing more reading on Rebirth since my knowledge of the DC Universe is fragmented at best. Why do we have two Teen Titans books both led by Bat Kids and why are neither of them led by Tim Drake? Which book will he be in? Is he back to being Robin while Damian is leading the Teen Titans? How is Nightwing not Secret Agent Man anymore again?That last one I may have already been told.

Hell, not being Barry Allen was punishable by being written out of reality.

Tim Drake is Red Robin, and is in Detective Comics with the rest of the bat-family (making delicious cheeseburgers). Dick is Nightwing again because he "remembered" there was an original Titans team that was mindwiped to protect them in what is basically the plot of the book It.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

They're technically not both TEEN Titans, plus it's DC, and they'll never stop trying to make you care about Silver Age books you've never read, but one guy in the editorial office really loves.
Tim is still Red Robin, in a less silly outfit, and will be in Detective Comics, as part of a team of rookie Bat-heroes led by Batman and Batwoman.
Damian is still Robin.
Nightwing, I believe, finished his secret agent double-agent job, and the evil spy group collapsed, but they used their secret spy tech to erase his identity from people's minds, so he can be Nightwing again.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Pretty much everything here made my head hurt. Something about because DC is a big company they shouldn't have black characters and by not having black characters DC is being true to their evil white roots?

I think the idea was that their minority characters should count for something, which Cyborg doesn't, because he's a boring nonentity. JLU John Stewart is great, Jaime Reyes is principally great, Mr. Terrific has a cool premise. DC, essentially, doesn't have to be as white as it is, but its attempts at outreach have historically been bad. See: Cyborg.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Having two Titans books at once is actually how the DCU worked for a long time before the Nu52 reboot so the simple fact that we're getting the twentysomethings Titans and the younger trainee Teen Titans is actually pretty :3: for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dan Abnett is exclusive for DC now. So good news for Marvel.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, see, that should have been clearer.
Yeah, I'm with you. I read both and wondered why I wasted my time. Could have just read Rebirth and been fine.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Aside from Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Demon Knights I really did not care for or stay up to date with the New 52.

I love Wally and the stuff with him in Rebirth was great. Him and Barry talking got me. I really loved John's JSA and Flash, but pretty much everything after that seemed like he'd run out of ideas. Rucka's old run on Wonder Woman was fantastic, so I think that's the only series I'll for sure follow at this point.

New 52 questions:
Why is there a Green Lantern with a gun?

Was Pandora related to Zealot? I google'd it, but it was mostly just people asking the same thing from 3-4 years ago. I'm guessing it might just be Jim Lee being lazy as far as design as I know he had a hand in WildCATS.

Rebirth question:
Is there going to be a JSA ongoing out of this? I don't see mention of it anywhere, but maybe I missed it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Simon carries a gun because he comes from a criminal background and it makes him feel more confident and thus makes his ring work better.

Yes it's dumb.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RusteJuxx posted:

New 52 questions:
Why is there a Green Lantern with a gun?

It's a side-piece, basically. GL rings can run out and don't always work right. Best have a gun just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

They're technically not both TEEN Titans, plus it's DC, and they'll never stop trying to make you care about Silver Age books you've never read, but one guy in the editorial office really loves.
Tim is still Red Robin, in a less silly outfit, and will be in Detective Comics, as part of a team of rookie Bat-heroes led by Batman and Batwoman.
Damian is still Robin.
Nightwing, I believe, finished his secret agent double-agent job, and the evil spy group collapsed, but they used their secret spy tech to erase his identity from people's minds, so he can be Nightwing again.

Tim got put on the team of rookies and Damian gets to be on the Teen Titans? No wonder that kid has middle child syndrome so hard.