Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having to log in (especially if it's not even an actual log in, just a splash screen with a log in button) for a place's WiFi. Connect, wait for my device to open a browser window (if it does that automatically, sometimes I have to do this manually), press button to say OK, wait for that to actually really connect me...

Just let me connect instantly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who use things like "lol" and especially "haha" as punctuation. It's OK to just type a sentence to me, you don't need to indicate how funny you think what you said is. It's almost never even meant to be funny too, especially with the chronic "haha"ers. It's like "want to meet at 8 haha" "I just did (mundane thing) haha" "want to go golfing lol" etc. Don't these people read their own messages and realize how strange it is to "laugh" after every single thing you say?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Bonus points when the company providing the wifi then loads their website on my phone browser. Nope, no thanks, I didn't need your wifi to go to your website!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:byodood: Guess I'll have to tell my wife our plans changed...

I loving hate passive-aggressive poo poo like this. You want me to feel sorry for you because you can't plan? Sorry, that sounds like a YOU problem, not a ME problem. I've also heard thinly-veiled threats when I tell clients they can't do such-and-such because it jeopardizes such-and-such, and they go, "well, I guess I'm going to go to the head of my department with this!" Fine, bring your head. I'll refer her to my head, who's got more pull than yours because she's the loving head of legal. We're grown adults playing "my dad can beat up your dad," and it's loving exhausting.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

MisterBibs posted:

Having to log in (especially if it's not even an actual log in, just a splash screen with a log in button) for a place's WiFi. Connect, wait for my device to open a browser window (if it does that automatically, sometimes I have to do this manually), press button to say OK, wait for that to actually really connect me...

Just let me connect instantly!

Yeah Starbucks, I stopped into your store to get a coffee and browse your stupid website. And I love participating in your polls like, "What's more intense, Pilates or the elliptical?" Really?

I'm just here to do work while not at work. Please just let me get to the internet as soon as possible, thanks.

(At least they don't make you pay anymore, remember when they had some stupid wifi deal with AT&T?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The most galling thing regarding splash-screen WiFi is that (might be bias on my part) those tend to be the shittier wifis.

Random place that auto-connects? No problems. Starbucks/McDonald's/Panera/etc? It's like every link I click is going through that "are you logged in?" bottleneck.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
My german language pet peeve: when people say "infisziert" instead of "infiziert" (= infected). I'm currently in hospital :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

The most galling thing regarding splash-screen WiFi is that (might be bias on my part) those tend to be the shittier wifis.

Ugh, hotels are horrible about this.

Even worse is when the joint has cat5 receptacles in each room that were unceremoniously disconnected at some point in the past, forcing you to spend an eternity staring at a lovely splash screen an intern made in Flash 5 that reads "Please Wait, Conecting" so you can check your work email on their blazing fast 20kbps connection.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I think sometimes it's one, and sometimes the other, because sometimes the substituted phrase does sound like the artist, and sometimes it sounds like some random person trying to sound like the artist. At first I thought it was "bae" too, but since it happens so often here, I assume it means "the bay." Just yesterday I heard a song that substituted "San Francisco" for "Colorado." Like, okay, it's a local station, but really, you can't just let the song be about loving Colorado?

This one station also has singers imitating artists of popular songs but substituting the words with their call letters. Imagine hearing Bieber's "Sorry" but instead of "is it too late now to say sorry?" you're hearing some bad singer impersonate him with "Wild 94-9, Wild 94-9..." It's really annoying. It takes a lot of work to sound worse than Bieber.

The idea of a radio station going to the effort of inserting their city name and call sign into songs is incredibly :psyduck: to me and I think my new pet peeve is the idea that there are people out there who hear these edited songs and enjoy them more than the originals.

Related, this collection of TV ad spots where they just sub out the city or state name is pretty bizarre when you watch them all one after the other.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
How many versions of Lady Gaga's "You and I" are there? The actual recorded version says Nebraska, but when I was living in Virginia on the radio it said Virginia. Is there a version for every three syllable state?

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I'm sick of facecam in game streams. It's a bit WTF. I don't know why its there, I don't want or need to see it, it gets in the way of the game footage, and real life people over videogame looks tacky. Even when it's in its own window that just means there's less screen for the game and a 7 inch tablet screen is small enough already. It's drat near ubiquitous as well.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Death Zebra posted:

I'm sick of facecam in game streams. It's a bit WTF. I don't know why its there, I don't want or need to see it, it gets in the way of the game footage, and real life people over videogame looks tacky. Even when it's in its own window that just means there's less screen for the game and a 7 inch tablet screen is small enough already. It's drat near ubiquitous as well.

I think this is something I'll never really "get" - the demand to have some kind of running commentary on game streams. Sometimes I'll stream from my ps4 so a friend or two can watch and random people always barge in and start saying "turn cam on" "u got mic?" "are u a girl?". Just shut up and watch or go away. The weird thing is even if you don't do what they say they'll still follow you and ask you to do the same the next day. I don't know if they are just that lonely that they feel the need to twist strangers' arms into being their "friend" or what.

From the opposite angle, I hate it when I go to watch someone's stream and they try way too hard to be a "good streamer" and feel the need to comment on literally everything that is happening, like a constant stream of talking. Also the overacting - any stream of a "scary" game like layers of fear or whatever people seem to feel the need to go full https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp83jzFEVGs&t=9s over every little jump scare. Too many people think they're going to be the next big streamer and everything's over the top and annoying.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think this is something I'll never really "get" ... random people always barge in and start saying "turn cam on" "u got mic?" "are u a girl?".

This one is easy, I think. A lot of people stream in the hopes that it will make them some money.

The people who are lonely, bored, rich, and stupid enough to tip large amounts of money to Twitch streamers need to feel like they're interacting with another human on a social level. The face cam and commentary provide that.

If you search around for big twitch stream tips you will probably find the one where a dude tipped a reasonably attractive girl 10k in actual money for doing nothing. That would not have happened if she just streamed game footage.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm aware of that and that's the problem - everyone's trying to be those people, but for every girl with her tits out getting 10k donations or "funny" guy with thousands of viewers there are probably 50 streaming to an audience of 1-2 people. Not everyone is funny, attractive or likeable enough to be a ~twitch celebrity~ and it's annoying when people barge in and act confused why you aren't trying to be one like them. Sometimes I just want to show a game to a friend, even if I could do it for a living I wouldn't. e: My "peeve" is that you still get followers you don't know even when you're actively trying not to put on a show or whatever. No matter how hard you ignore them they just won't go away.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:32 on May 27, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's a real peeve, but a few days ago I helped out a family friend, who had a late meeting, by picking her 13 year old up from school and take her home. Now they live in an okay neighborhood but they have been robbed in the past. So I didn't feel safe just leaving the girl alone, especially with her dad out of town and no emergency contacts around. So I stayed later than I wanted because her meeting ran late and I wasn't going to leave a 13 year old girl alone in the house where they never lock the back door. That's right. She didn't even have a loving housekey! I was told to just use the back gate, which is never locked, and use the back door, which is also never locked. So half their house is open all the time. Am I loving paranoid for staying?

Here, better peeve with that. They have wifi but they keep the router turned off most of the time. So when my friend was emailing and Facebook messaging me to ask how things were going, I didn't get any of the drat messages because they never keep the wifi on in the house because they "don't want their kids to be online alone." Parental controls exist for a reason! Also, it might be the only way for your kid to reach you if the phone is broken!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They don't want their kids to be online alone but they're totally ok with leaving them alone with the back door open? I think the priorities are a bit skewed there...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of the time a few years ago when I still lived with my parents - I locked myself out of the house and got panicked and frustrated for a few hours as I couldn't get in contact with anyone. On a whim I decided to try my french window that led into my bedroom. It opened and let me in, to my surprise, and I realised that the last time we had it open on purpose was during a barbecue a few months prior. One of our back doors had been unlocked for months without us knowing about it. The best/worst part? My computer was directly by that french window. All a thief would have had to do was reach in and disconnect everything, they wouldn't even have really needed to enter the house.

Long story short I was really lucky...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the paranoia is just a little overblown. Most thieves won't enter a house if someone is still at home, whether the doors/windows are unlocked or not. The ones who aren't deterred by someone being home and are willing to hurt people aren't going to be stopped by a locked door, so in my opinion locked doors are more just a "peace of mind" thing than an actual crime prevention thing. There are exceptions of course but I wouldn't freak out about leaving a teenager home alone unless you lived in a very high crime area.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think the paranoia is just a little overblown. Most thieves won't enter a house if someone is still at home, whether the doors/windows are unlocked or not. The ones who aren't deterred by someone being home and are willing to hurt people aren't going to be stopped by a locked door, so in my opinion locked doors are more just a "peace of mind" thing than an actual crime prevention thing. There are exceptions of course but I wouldn't freak out about leaving a teenager home alone unless you lived in a very high crime area.

I realized the other day that I do things like lock the door behind me when taking out the trash/recycling not because I'm actually scared of anything happening, but because I've watched too much Law and Order, and someone using those sixty seconds to sneak in, hide, and then murder me seems like a thing that could happen. But it's not so much a fear of being murdered, it's more a fear of Ice-T and the gang coming in to investigate afterwards and making wisecracks about my naivete before my corpse is even cold. I guess I haven't been murdered yet, though, so thanks, Ice-T.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Am I loving paranoid for staying?
Yes. Unless it was an area where there are a lot of burglaries or home invasions, I guess.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think the paranoia is just a little overblown. Most thieves won't enter a house if someone is still at home, whether the doors/windows are unlocked or not. The ones who aren't deterred by someone being home and are willing to hurt people aren't going to be stopped by a locked door, so in my opinion locked doors are more just a "peace of mind" thing than an actual crime prevention thing.
Locked doors in general will basically stop a crime of opportunity, and it's worthwhile on a door visible from the street because it's really obvious if someone is breaking in there, rather than just opening an unlocked door. But if it's a back door, then someone who wants to break in and goes to the trouble of walking around the house looking for unlocked doors can just break a window instead. There are other factors that come into it, like if you live on a third floor flat where there are no accessible windows so the only way in or out is the front door, then obviously locking it makes a difference. But if you live in a house and there are half a dozen windows that can easily be broken without anyone seeing, locks on the back door are pointless.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

I realized the other day that I do things like lock the door behind me when taking out the trash/recycling not because I'm actually scared of anything happening, but because I've watched too much Law and Order, and someone using those sixty seconds to sneak in, hide, and then murder me seems like a thing that could happen. But it's not so much a fear of being murdered, it's more a fear of Ice-T and the gang coming in to investigate afterwards and making wisecracks about my naivete before my corpse is even cold. I guess I haven't been murdered yet, though, so thanks, Ice-T.

Munch: Perp came in through the window. Miss Jane got home and hopped in the shower. He got her while she was undressing.

Tutuola: What a shame. Perp caught her with her pants down. When will people learn to keep their stuff locked?

Random Crime Scene Cop: Any idea what the perp was after?

Munch: Oh, yeah. Got an empty bottle here.

Tutuola: drat. Another lister-head.

Random Cop: "Lister-head?"

Tutuola: Freaks been breakin' into bathrooms, goin' after Listerine. Gets you real high. They say it's good for molar decay, but all I see is moral decay.

donk donk

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Munch: Perp came in through the window. Miss Jane got home and hopped in the shower. He got her while she was undressing.

Tutuola: What a shame. Perp caught her with her pants down. When will people learn to keep their stuff locked?

Random Crime Scene Cop: Any idea what the perp was after?

Munch: Oh, yeah. Got an empty bottle here.

Tutuola: drat. Another lister-head.

Random Cop: "Lister-head?"

Tutuola: Freaks been breakin' into bathrooms, goin' after Listerine. Gets you real high. They say it's good for molar decay, but all I see is moral decay.

donk donk

:golfclap:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

How many versions of Lady Gaga's "You and I" are there? The actual recorded version says Nebraska, but when I was living in Virginia on the radio it said Virginia. Is there a version for every three syllable state?

I can verify there was one for BOTH Dallas and Texas

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm aware of that and that's the problem - everyone's trying to be those people, but for every girl with her tits out getting 10k donations or "funny" guy with thousands of viewers there are probably 50 streaming to an audience of 1-2 people. Not everyone is funny, attractive or likeable enough to be a ~twitch celebrity~ and it's annoying when people barge in and act confused why you aren't trying to be one like them. Sometimes I just want to show a game to a friend, even if I could do it for a living I wouldn't. e: My "peeve" is that you still get followers you don't know even when you're actively trying not to put on a show or whatever. No matter how hard you ignore them they just won't go away.

I think the real talent behind popular game streamers is the fact that they're usually 20-somethings who are somehow completely in-tune with the type of humor 14-year-olds find funny. The humor itself obviously isn't funny at all, but there's something to be said for someone being able to so effectively appeal to an audience they don't belong to themselves. Pewdiepie is the most obvious example of this.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My current pet peeve is when people tell you "I'm on my way over", or "I'll be at your place in 5 min" and then don't show up for hours. We seem to have a couple of lazy stoner friends that do this, but the worst offender is my sister in law. Sometimes she will even tell me she's on her way over, and then just never show up.

She is supposed to be coming over any minute now to cut my husband's hair (she is a hairdresser), and she said she would be over "soon" at 2:30. We both have the day off today so it's not a big deal that she's late, but I mean is it really that hard to give a more accurate time frame of your schedule? Or a text saying "hey running late" or anything??

Edit: She ended up getting here at 7:15!! :psyduck:

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 03:19 on May 28, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I definitely share that one. Why bother saying you'll be there in 5 minutes if you know full well you haven't even gotten out of bed and are 20 minutes away from me? Just say you slept in too late and will be late, it's much less annoying.

I've mentioned it before but it works the other way too - if you tell me to be there at 9am to help you set up for a tailgate or whatever, don't get pissed off at me when I wake you up by knocking on your door at 9am. "Most people show up an hour or two after I ask them" is not an excuse. If you want me to be there at 11am, tell me that.\

e: additionally: musicians who sign agreements with Vevo and pull all the videos of the song from youtube aside from shittily recorded live performances. I hate vevo's website, they must be paying a shitload to make bands intentionally annoy their fans by having to go to some off-brand website.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:10 on May 27, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate when people cancel plans and hem and haw and make up a bunch of reasons for it. Just say you can't make it! It's not that hard, I won't be offended if you just text and say you have to cancel. There's no need for a monologue about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

Within walking distance of this home is a high-traffic college. And very close is a Walmart where you can't take in any purse that can't fit in a provided box, you're given a locker to store your larger purses and bags in to help curtail theft.

Their house was broken into, when the mom was home alone, two years ago or so. She hid under a table and the guy grabbed a few things before he saw her, then ran off with the items. The time previous the house got broken into when they were on vacation and they came home to a sacked house. There's a few neighborhood watch signs, but the night I was over the street was loving empty of almost all cars, save for mine.

You're right, though, if a guy had broken in I would have been helpless as poo poo and wouldn't have been able to do much.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Murphy Brownback posted:

Depends where you live. If you're in a really lovely neighborhood, they'll steal your hubcaps while you're driving. When I lived in a crappy part of a crappy town in college, people would often just try the door even though they could see us through the window. When confronted, they'd always claim they were looking for a different address. They'd just come back later and do the same thing.

It was irritating as hell. I hate having to lock my doors. Now, I don't worry about it. Better neighborhood, better city.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I definitely share that one. Why bother saying you'll be there in 5 minutes if you know full well you haven't even gotten out of bed and are 20 minutes away from me? Just say you slept in too late and will be late, it's much less annoying.

The one I hate is when they know they're running late, so they try to do something to make up for it that actually makes them later. Like, if you said you'd be here at seven for dinner, call and say you won't be here till 19:30, it's fine. Don't show up at 19:45 with a cake you got to apologise for being late.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

genetic_knockout posted:

My current pet peeve is when people tell you "I'm on my way over", or "I'll be at your place in 5 min" and then don't show up for hours. We seem to have a couple of lazy stoner friends that do this, but the worst offender is my sister in law. Sometimes she will even tell me she's on her way over, and then just never show up.

She is supposed to be coming over any minute now to cut my husband's hair (she is a hairdresser), and she said she would be over "soon" at 2:30. We both have the day off today so it's not a big deal that she's late, but I mean is it really that hard to give a more accurate time frame of your schedule? Or a text saying "hey running late" or anything??

Edit: She ended up getting here at 7:15!! :psyduck:

People being late irritates the poo poo out of me, I always do my best to get somewhere a minimum of 15 minutes early. My D&D group drives me insane with their inability to show up on time and that includes our DM, it's made even worse because the group usually gets here 30 minutes after the proposed start time (that was agreed on a week before) and takes a full hour to show up. I've taken to the habit of just putting a movie on and telling them they can wait for me to "just finish this part I really like this part of the movie".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sometimes a guest being too early is almost as annoying as them being late. If it's just 15 minutes then whatever, but I used to know a guy who would take an invitation to an event starting at a certain time (dinner/party/whatever) as an excuse to show up multiple hours beforehand. He'd always use the excuse "I was bored, figured I'd hang out here" and just play my xbox all day. He'd get all pissy if you asked him to leave and come back later or come with you to the store or whatever because you didn't trust him alone in your apartment.

Basically needy people who use you as their source of entertainment when they're bored are the worst.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I feel like there's very few contexts where "whilst" is the most appropriate word you can use. It makes you sound like you're trying really hard to be smart, and, for some reason, the kind of person who used to say "rawr is dinosaur for I love you".

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

cash crab posted:

I feel like there's very few contexts where "whilst" is the most appropriate word you can use. It makes you sound like you're trying really hard to be smart, and, for some reason, the kind of person who used to say "rawr is dinosaur for I love you".

My friend is guilty of this except with the word "shall". It drives me insane and to be fair I guess I'm not sure why it annoys me so much. But in our group chat/texts/etc. it's never "I will" or "we will" it's "I shall" or "we shall" and I think it's her trying to sound smart.

She also consistently misspells "expensive" as "expansive". This person is a published author and I want to beat her to death with her own laptop. But she's also awesome. So.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sometimes a guest being too early is almost as annoying as them being late. If it's just 15 minutes then whatever, but I used to know a guy who would take an invitation to an event starting at a certain time (dinner/party/whatever) as an excuse to show up multiple hours beforehand. He'd always use the excuse "I was bored, figured I'd hang out here" and just play my xbox all day. He'd get all pissy if you asked him to leave and come back later or come with you to the store or whatever because you didn't trust him alone in your apartment.

Basically needy people who use you as their source of entertainment when they're bored are the worst.

Yeah this really annoys me too. One time we were having a party, and this one dingus showed up like 3 hours early using that exact same excuse. I was literally in the middle of mopping the kitchen floor when he got here, and I was sweaty, unshowered, and in my bleach-stained cleaning clothes. I was home alone, so it was kind of awkward (this guy is really annoying and kind of a known creep). He was like following me around as I mopped, making small talk. I was so pissed but didn't want to be a dick about it. Don't come over 3 hours early, unless you are explicitly invited early!!!! :argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing I don't get is - what is stopping any burglar with half a brain (narrows it down a bit, true) from driving ten minutes to a rich 'safe' neighbourhood and trying all the doors? I honestly can't imagine not locking the doors if you live anywhere remotely built up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alarm systems, nosy neighbors, people being at home.. Anyone with half a brain who is at home and hears their doorknob start to jiggle will probably call the police. Most thieves' top priority is "don't get caught", so going to random houses and testing the doors is a pretty bad plan. That's why "casing" a house is a thing - they wait until nobody is home because it minimizes their risk.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A very recent one tha tis getting to me lately: using terms that people either have never heard of or have different definitions of. Goons are especially bad with it. I'm talking about uncanny valley, cargo cult, dunning-kruger effect, fencing response, poe's law...you don't need to make a post whose entire purpose is "i am aware of this term".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blu-ray cases and boxsets almost always have a horrible blue strip across the top saying BLU-RAY and it totally ruins the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Websites that require you to choose from their terrible list of security questions. This one I found today is the worst I've ever seen:

My answer to almost all of these is either "I don't know" or "not applicable". The childhood phone number one I did know off the top of my head, but the site required me to select four of them.