Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i think that is the case. im 5 or 4k on kgs, and 8 or 9k everywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Could I ask for a game review? https://online-go.com/game/5241383

I won this game, but just barely (by 5.5 points). The reason I'm asking for a review is that I thought black had a really bad opening (he played in a really over-concentrated way), so I felt like I should have had a much bigger lead. I didn't lose any big groups, but somehow, we ended up having roughly equally sized territories. So either:

1) I'm completely wrong about black's opening being bad
-or-
2) Black's opening was actually bad, but I made strategic decisions during the game that didn't take advantage of black's opening

Either way I feel like I could learn a lot from this game so I would really appreciate a review!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Generally you did fine, and black's opening was really bad. He put all of his territory in one basically uninvadable spot and banked on being able to make 2-point territories inside yours. When someone does that, the key is to find opportunities to reduce his territory while growing your own. That generally means being more ambitious about reducing the edges of his territories than you were. There were a number of times you could have

A few key points:

20: Why block in this direction? If you block the other way, you make a bigger territory, and white is already strong int he lower right, so any thickness you build here isn't that effective.

24: Another chance to switch direction by playing at around S5 since black didn't play S5. Black's already low on the bottom, so switching to S5 would both keep black low on the bottom and get you more of the right side.

26: P1 is small endgame. Don't play moves like this, as it asks him to fix a weakness while keeping sente.

34ff: All of these do expand your middle and reduce his some, but they also strengthen his middle so you can't go in a little deeper later. If you're going to go here, what would he do if you played L8 or L9? By being more ambitious, he either has to risk a fight that would destroy his entire middle territory or cede more reduction to you.

58: I would have played C18 - C13 limits how far black can go on the left side, and if he crawls out that way, he reduces his own lower left.

62: Again, don't do this. Locally, if you just play F17, black has to either give you sente or leave a weakness behind. Your move here asks black to completely fix his weaknesses and keep sente.

68ff: You need to decide on an approach here. Are you trying to make his area smaller, your larger, or what? You're basically securing a small middle area of your own while solidifying a large area of his. I'd at least go farther into E11.

76: I'd play H11 - you're threatening more damage to his big area than he's threatening to yours.

104: This is really small, especially compared to A11 or M1 or even S4. What do you do if B ignores it?

110: Gote, compared to wither A11 or M1.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks so much!

Borachon posted:

20: Why block in this direction? If you block the other way, you make a bigger territory, and white is already strong int he lower right, so any thickness you build here isn't that effective.
24: Another chance to switch direction by playing at around S5 since black didn't play S5. Black's already low on the bottom, so switching to S5 would both keep black low on the bottom and get you more of the right side.

I didn't really know how to think about which side I should block on before I read this, but now I have a much better idea! Definitely makes sense now to block the other way.

Overall, I should have thought more about sente, played less small endgame moves and been a bit more ambitious when reducing his territory. This all makes a lot of sense, I'll try to use it to improve in my next games.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm beginning to suspect nobody with admin rights to the OGS group is posting in this thread right now.

Also, that I am bad at go.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Invite sent.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh thanks! I actually wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, in my defense

These two folks may or may not have been missed too:

Tigern posted:

Can I get an invite to the OGS group? @tigernbutts

Edit: Can anyone recommend me some books that are available on Kindle? Unfortunately the Second Book of Go is not.

Iceatollah posted:

I decided to pick up my old go set recently, last time I played I was around 20K on KGS, probably a lot worse than that now. I want to make a concerted effort to improve my game, so I'm looking forwards to getting murdered by ya'll.

Could someone invite me into the SA room on OGS? Username is Spellbound_Dogfighter.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I have admin access but I don't use OGS much so I normally only respond to KGS invite requests. Happy to be of help though. Thanks for quoting those two, I invited them too.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was looking for the price of go sets and I found this:

:nws: http://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...2664760293.html :nws:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Can I also get an invite to the SA room on OGS? Username is sunaurus - https://online-go.com/user/view/303450

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

invite sent~

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i guess i should get in ogs too, send me an invite if thats ok

booyah- https://online-go.com/user/view/324208

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'd like one as well.

Mytea: https://online-go.com/user/view/324481

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

done... . . . . .

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
who's your favorite woman pro???

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I'm watching a go video right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-td9ah-cM2k

In the beginning of the video, Nick Sibicky shows two positions:

A)

B)

He says that A is better than B, because it leaves less room on the top for black to extend (it makes the top smaller).
However, I have this knowledge from somewhere that an extension in front of an enclosure is always a big move. If white plays A and later gets the enclosure, it seems to me that the black stone in the top right corner would allow black to easily extend in front of the enclosure to neutralize some of white's influence.

Until now, I would have always preferred B just because I didn't want to waste the influence of my enclosure, but I don't really know what to believe anymore. What do you guys think?

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 17, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
OGS or KGS?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

I used to play on KGS, now I like OGS more. You don't need to download and install anything to play on OGS, it can send you notifications when your games start or when it's your turn in a game, the ranks seem to be closer to the EGF (which matters to me a bit because I live in Europe).
From what I understand, it used to be difficult to find live games on OGS, I don't think that's the case anymore. Whenever I create a game, I get an opponent in <3 minutes.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

sunaurus posted:

Until now, I would have always preferred B just because I didn't want to waste the influence of my enclosure, but I don't really know what to believe anymore. What do you guys think?

Giving black a nice approach move to work with his 4-4 stone is a lot worse than potentially not getting a good extension off of your enclosure. You're just helping black because you don't want a slightly meh result otherwise.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

Giving black a nice approach move to work with his 4-4 stone is a lot worse than potentially not getting a good extension off of your enclosure. You're just helping black because you don't want a slightly meh result otherwise.

Yeah, that really makes a lot of sense. I obviously still have a lot to learn about openings. And about everything else.

kaladun
May 7, 2009
Guess I'll stop lurking to also ask for an OGS invite. Username is kaladun - https://online-go.com/user/view/270138

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
After a move a day in 200+ games over the last 3 months, OGS thinks I'm 12k now, up from 15k. I'll never share its confidence. :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Okay, so this epic game I have been telling you about has finally concluded. And I lost...

...by 0.5 points :negative:

Before I link this game for people to see, I want to say that I am almost ecstatic about this game. Not only was I punching at a weight far above my own, but my opponent made some nice unsolicited comments in the chat window and in direct messaging and did a review, again unsolicited. This is what I love about Go and its community. A player 6+ stones superior to his opponent should by many metrics be upset by a game this close that he certainly could have lost. But Go players worship the challenge, put aside their egos and decide to work through the problems communally.

Anyway, you can find this game here with his review linked on that page as well. I'd welcome any thoughts from you folks here. At some point I decided that I was ahead enough to bail out of the massive 3-step ko in the lower left and I still wonder if that was the right decision and even if it was the right decision if I executed it correctly.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Look at this scrub who doesn't know how to hold a Go stone.

(I didn't learn it either.) :negative:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
how is that guy 7k and not know the most basic corner joseki in the universe

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
from his review

if black plays that hane black is effed

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

totino boy posted:

from his review

if black plays that hane black is effed

I love it when people are ignorant about white r2

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Why? White R2, black hane, white cut, black atari, then what?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

totino boy posted:

who's your favorite woman pro???
rui naiwei

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Pander posted:

Why? White R2, black hane, white cut, black atari, then what?

If B hanes at the head of the two stones there, W R2/B Q2/W Q5 is really ugly for B and pretty simple. W Q2/B P2/W R2/B P3/W R6 is also bad for B. Sensei's has a section on it: 4-4 Low Approach Invasion Interception

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Super longshot: Any people ITT from the Madison area and know what happened to the Go Club which used to meet Wednesday nights at Memorial Union?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Borachon posted:

If B hanes at the head of the two stones there, W R2/B Q2/W Q5 is really ugly for B and pretty simple. W Q2/B P2/W R2/B P3/W R6 is also bad for B. Sensei's has a section on it: 4-4 Low Approach Invasion Interception

I think I confused W R2 with W S2. Or something. I have no idea what sequence I'm describing there. :wtc:

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried this yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/479330

The price is a little steep, but the "Deep Neural Networks with Monte Carlo Tree Search" features are definitely interesting.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tigern posted:

Has anyone tried this yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/479330

The price is a little steep, but the "Deep Neural Networks with Monte Carlo Tree Search" features are definitely interesting.

I don't have it on Steam, so I can't speak to how it runs through them; but I do have it as a standalone product and I think it's fantastic. It's strong enough that you can play a full board unlike, say, SmartGo for iOS which doesn't really do that.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Isn't CrazyStone the AI developed by some singular dude?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
why the sweet god drat are they charging 80$ for that

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

totino boy posted:

I hear that for free you can play any one of millions (probably) of AI programs on OGS, KGS, or IGS.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
You can also play against that particular AI for $3/month on iOS.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

totino boy posted:

It's ridiculous... Charge 15-20$ it would reasonable, but I can't imagine many people would actually pay this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I imagine they're trying to market it less as a steam game and more like a fancy ~~training tool~~~ but yeah lol that price