Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

You gotta have some realistic Tomo expectations

are you streaming cat's eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Srice posted:

You gotta have some realistic Tomo expectations

carols going to trick her into putting on a wedding dress and marrying misuzu

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

carols going to trick her into putting on a wedding dress and marrying misuzu
's mom

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

are you streaming cat's eye

Sorry, some stuff came up and I'm gonna be busy packing, leaving earlier than I thought I would :(

I'll try to do some streaming at some point in the simul though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since those Captain Tsubasa eps are on youtube and dailymotion I'll probably have the time to stream those on tuesday, unless something happens

So, probably a 50-50 chance

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

no, I'm going to marry her

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You can't make me resub to ff14

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blhue posted:

You can't make me resub to ff14
yeah I can. watch this:
resub to ff14

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Soon I will be in America. Give me some advice to blend in

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

littleorv posted:

lose weight

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Smoking Crow posted:

zun's design philosophy in making games is to punish you when you fail, but not reward you when you succeed. i can see why someone who wants satisfying shooting wouldn't like them. to me, touhou and other shmups are about the dance, dodging ships and making your ship more powerful, which is why parodius is my second favorite shooter series

To me, stages in shmups are just there to suck lives up so you have to put in more quarters at the boss. touhou cuts out the middleman and makes the entire game about the boss. one of the things i don't really like about normal shooters is that the bosses don't have character. sure, they can look nice, but without character they're meaningless.

On the other hand, R-Type 3 had really rad stages. I think I liked Super Aleste's stage design as well.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

littleorv posted:

Buy a gun

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

littleorv posted:

if it's the south, throw around racial slurs as casually as possible

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

throw around racial slurs as casually as possible

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thank you

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also Axelay is still really cool. Also I admit most of my shmup experience is basically the SNES ones.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Last time I was in Vegas I convinced a dude I lived in an igloo and had sled dogs

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Knorth posted:

Koto is a cutie

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

my big gay post is too long and hard for orv

Smoking Crow posted:

zun's design philosophy in making games is to punish you when you fail, but not reward you when you succeed. i can see why someone who wants satisfying shooting wouldn't like them. to me, touhou and other shmups are about the dance, dodging ships and making your ship more powerful, which is why parodius is my second favorite shooter series

To me, stages in shmups are just there to suck lives up so you have to put in more quarters at the boss. touhou cuts out the middleman and makes the entire game about the boss. one of the things i don't really like about normal shooters is that the bosses don't have character. sure, they can look nice, but without character they're meaningless.

When I say satisfying shooting it's mainly an audiovisual thing I think. A lot of stage encounters in shmups can be as or more interesting than the boss. Like this bit in CC where you get surrounded by ships and have to dodge fire centering on you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgHIk9Q7Xo&t=1065s or the loving evil rotary laser part in the last stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgHIk9Q7Xo&t=1696s It definitely makes sense for a game about dodging through super intricate patterns to focus on the boss fights but I wish the stages were a bit more memorable. It's a missed opportunity to do storytelling with background detail if nothing else.

I think you can have a lot of character in non humanoid things - Metal Slug is a great example - though obviously results vary. A lot of the vanilla looking WWII stuff bores the hell out of me for instance, as do really smoothe featureless sci fi ships.

Parodius is sexy and awesome but seems hard as hell. I need to get the Crimzon Clover 1cc but I hope to play more touhous in the future.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not a fan of long hard things tbh

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

littleorv posted:

Not a fan of long hard things tbh

i am

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't know how the hell I'll ever beat Crimzon Clover on arcade mode becaue on top of turning up the difficulty a ton it removes like five extra lives from the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

no, I'm going to marry her

dropped

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

same

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

that's my giant gay wall of text on japanese shooting games

Good posts.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Please follow my tumblr of Good Anime Smiles

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's hot

I wanted to leave the windows open longer but I think tomorrow I'll have to switch to ac

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oh poo poo i forgot the cat's eye ending song is about loving on the beach

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SAME

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

Don't mention Tim Hortons. Nobody knows about them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

Don't mention Tim Hortons. Nobody knows about them.

I thought Tim Horton's was American, as a kid.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
steins;gate is really good and mayuri, kurisu and ruka are all really cute. okabe is a gargantuan dork

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

littleorv posted:

Nobody is going to notice or care that you're Canadian unless you start saying "aboot" or drinking milk from a bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

steins;gate is really good and mayuri, kurisu and ruka are all really cute. okabe is a gargantuan dork

read the drat vn!!!

• Locked thread