Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
While I liked this finale better than Flashes, I kinda miss Arrow that had lots of tricks beyond punch someone and hit someone with a bow. You know, the Arrow that fought Flash to a standstill by fighting dirty as gently caress.

Also, if the new season has this Felicity and the rest of the team is gone, I am loving out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

boom boom boom posted:

They really need to establish why Star City is worth saving. I mean, right now it seems like the only things that make it unique are the giant craters left behind from super villain plots.

Like, literally anything. One line of dialogue saying that there's a huge Lebanese immigrant population so Star City has the best kibbeh in America.

Big Belly Burger

though they haven't showed that place for a couple of seasons now, have they? Maybe that's why it's been so awful.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Ouhei posted:

I'm actually surprised we didn't really get any tease as to what is happening next season at all, I mean we've got Ollie being mayor with everyone scattered about, but there was no hint as to the big bad or anything.

I think the blank slate the finale left is with might end up being refreshing, especially if next season is confirmed as the final one. A lot of shows manage to dig themselves out of their ruts when they have a definite end date. This is the first show that I've ever kept up with from the first episode, so I feel kind of obligated to finish it out. I certainly don't hate it, but it almost feels like an abusive relationship at this point :v:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Dahrk was a good villain but they meandered all over the place on a coherent plot. Still going to watch next season but I hope the writers spend some time just hashing out some details to keep things coherent.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

One of the things that annoyed me about this, was something they did in the Flash final as well: they KNOW that their enemy has a specific weakness, but they don't use it because tension.

In Flash, they know sonics are effective against speedsters, and they even have a dude on their team that specializes in that poo poo, but they don't bother using it.

In Arrow, they know Darhk doesn't have an impenetrable magic force field around himself. He has to actively see and stop the incoming attacks. Instead of leaving John behind, maybe Ollie should've brought him along with a sniper rifle with a plan to lure him out into the street. Quit running at the guy head on, dammit!

I also laughed during the final fracas with Ollie just getting his rear end handed to him, while weapon-wielding, rioting citizens just ran right past them.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

10 Beers posted:

One of the things that annoyed me about this, was something they did in the Flash final as well: they KNOW that their enemy has a specific weakness, but they don't use it because tension.

In Flash, they know sonics are effective against speedsters, and they even have a dude on their team that specializes in that poo poo, but they don't bother using it.

In Arrow, they know Darhk doesn't have an impenetrable magic force field around himself. He has to actively see and stop the incoming attacks. Instead of leaving John behind, maybe Ollie should've brought him along with a sniper rifle with a plan to lure him out into the street. Quit running at the guy head on, dammit!

I also laughed during the final fracas with Ollie just getting his rear end handed to him, while weapon-wielding, rioting citizens just ran right past them.

If you want a show with smart characters using their weapons and powers effectively then watch Agents of SHIELD. It's amazing to me that Flash and Arrow get so much more attention when they're so incredibly childish in comparison.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lol what, SHIELD is gutter trash even by the low standards of the current CW superhero slate.

Oracle posted:

Hope, not love. In that crowd's case, hoping that Oliver would kick Darhk's rear end and make him suffer, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. God this show is just bad anymore. Amell seems like a genuinely good guy and I hope his movie career takes off because I can't see a season six.
Oh and I almost forgot the uplifting season moral: sometimes a dude just needs killin! Its justice! Its right! Remember, kids: sometimes murder is the answer! GO RED ARROW.

Hahaha, I had a good laugh at that "moral" too. They could have at least thrown us a bone and had Ollie make a spirit bomb Arrow of Hope to vaporize THE DARHKNESS.
I also like Amell and hope he moves on to better things after this. He's like one of the few people I follow on Facebook because he seems like a good and down-to-earth dude.

But I don't think I can hang in there for another season of Arrow.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
CW superhero shows are dance musicals.They hire a lot of glee actors and dancers like caty lotz for such purpose.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

raditts posted:

lol what, SHIELD is gutter trash even by the low standards of the current CW superhero slate.

If you only watched AoS before they caught up with Captain America The Winter Soldier, yes. Otherwise it's so much better than Flash/Arrow that you can barely even compare between them.
Smart characters, little to no relationship bullshit, plot that never stops moving, no ridiculous agonizing over killing some guy that is actively trying to kill you. It's no Daredevil or Jessica Jones but at least you don't constantly feel like you're watching a show made for children.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The only thing the Winter Soldier tie in did was take it from "total poo poo" to "mostly poo poo." I watched up to season 3 where they were battling Sonic the Hedgehog with their powers of "holding their hands out and expelling tv-quality special effects" before I bailed, and the only highlight of the series was that one episode where Sam Jackson showed up and spent the entire time chewing scenery while acting circles around the main cast. If anything the SHIELD characters manage to be even stupider than the ones in Flash / Arrow, the entire plot of season 2 was driven by how loving stupid they all were.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Senjuro posted:

If you only watched AoS before they caught up with Captain America The Winter Soldier, yes. Otherwise it's so much better than Flash/Arrow that you can barely even compare between them.
Smart characters, little to no relationship bullshit, plot that never stops moving, no ridiculous agonizing over killing some guy that is actively trying to kill you. It's no Daredevil or Jessica Jones but at least you don't constantly feel like you're watching a show made for children.

My fiance and I are kinda interested in AoS. At what point does it get good? Halfway through Season 1, or starting Season 2?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

10 Beers posted:

My fiance and I are kinda interested in AoS. At what point does it get good? Halfway through Season 1, or starting Season 2?

In my opinion, it gets watchable halfway through season 1. Some people say that's when it gets good. They're wrong, that's when it gets watchable. There's peaks of good scattered around the end of season 1 and in season 2, but the show as a whole never gets good.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I don't think any TV character can be dumber than Oliver "I will risk my life to save the mass murderer Malcolm Merlyn because if he died then it would hurt the feelings of his daughter who he constantly abuses" Queen or Barry "I'll hold up my end of the bargain and give the mass murderer Zoom all my powers even though he has no leverage over me anymore" Allen.

10 Beers posted:

You have to suffer until season 1 episode 17. Maybe watch The Winter Soldier right before that. After that it's a whole different show.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 26, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

10 Beers posted:

It starts getting better around episode 10 or so, but the real turning point is 16.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I couldn't stop laughing when Oliver jumped on the car, yelled, "LISTEN TO ME," and they all loving STOPPED and listened to him, like the mob from The Simpsons Movie.

Vancouver needed Stephen Amell during the Stanley Cup Riots: https://youtu.be/D8MZwMzs9rA

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

10 Beers posted:

I don't think it was ever really bad, it just suffered from having to tread water till the events of winter soldier, and also from having lots of breaks between episodes. It's much better if you can binge watch it, and a lot of stuff in season one gets better retrospectively. Starting late in season one takes a lot of the impact out of a thing that happens too. I say watch the whole thing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Agents of SHIELD is great, so much better than the Marvel movies even. Id like to know what superhero TV shows you're watching that make AOS look like 'mostly trash'

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

CornHolio posted:

Agents of SHIELD is great, so much better than the Marvel movies even. Id like to know what superhero TV shows you're watching that make AOS look like 'mostly trash'

Seriously, it's so good.

Like, the characters are actually logical and cool spy poo poo happens all the time. How can anyone not like it just because the first half of the first season was rocky, and yet sit through two seasons of this and barely complain?

VV I said "rocky," not bad. It was clear that they were setting up multiple plotlines and that just made the second half of the season that much more worth it, imo.

With Arrow and Flash, characters do insanely stupid and contrived things to create drama and stretch the plot for 20+ episodes. In AoS, the characters actually grow and act like adults.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 26, 2016

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the beginning of the first season of AoS? I don't see why it's "the worst thing ever" maybe it was a little slow but to skip it like most recommend? It's like saying skip the first season of Fringe or Babylon 5 because it's slow, or maybe skip the dialogue parts in RPGs.

skip to episode 17: "oh hey, some guy just apparently turned on the gang who I have not invested in at all. I was both surprised and emotionally impacted by this scene."

edit: sure

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 26, 2016

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the beginning of the first season of AoS? I don't see why it's "the worst thing ever" maybe it was a little slow but to skip it like most recommend? It's like saying skip the first season of Fringe or Babylon 5 because it's slow, or maybe skip the dialogue parts in RPGs.

skip to episode 17: "oh hey, some guy just apparently turned on the gang who I have not invested in at all. I was both surprised and emotionally impacted by this scene."

Might want to spoiler that.
You definitely shouldn't skip right to 17, it might not be very enjoyable to watch the whole thing but it's important to set up the characters before poo poo gets crazy.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

10 Beers posted:

I think it starts awful, gets okay somewhere in season 2 and ended up as a very interesting show in season 3.

It has great action scenes, some well written episodes (some bad lows too, but the quality of the show as a whole seems to be stabilizing), and even if they don't always succeed the writers look like they're actively trying to incorporate people's powers into the events that happen in the show. I think it starts with a very confusing direction but it's as of >now< what I expected from the original premise. Agents in a supernatural world doing agent things with/against superheroes/villains.

More importantly, the average quality of the show is going up rather than down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CornHolio posted:

Fair point, if you only watch broadcast superhero TV shows, I bet Agents of Shield is a treat!

Unfortunately, I watch other TV shows, and using them as a point of comparison I can say that Arrow, the Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Agents of Shield are all bad TV shows.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Fair point, if you only watch broadcast superhero TV shows, I bet Agents of Shield is a treat!

Unfortunately, I watch other TV shows, and using them as a point of comparison I can say that Arrow, the Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Agents of Shield are all bad TV shows.

Everything sucks if you compare it to The Wire. AoS is fine for what it is. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be enjoyable.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Senjuro posted:

Everything sucks if you compare it to The Wire. AoS is fine for what it is. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be enjoyable.

Agents of Shield is mediocre compared to Burn Notice

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Hahahahahaha

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

You are 100% wrong here, opinion or not this is just straight up incorrect on every level.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

raditts posted:

The only thing the Winter Soldier tie in did was take it from "total poo poo" to "mostly poo poo." I watched up to season 3 where they were battling Sonic the Hedgehog

I hate you. Now I have to watch it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So uh, remember when Guggenheim and Amell kept touting that season 4 was "going to be lighter in tone" and not as grim and dark as season 3???

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Scyantific posted:

So uh, remember when Guggenheim and Amell kept touting that season 4 was "going to be lighter in tone" and not as grim and dark as season 3???

Everyone seems pretty happy a day after nuking a city... see not as Grimdarhhhhk!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

boom boom boom posted:

I have seen every episode of Burn Notice and can with confidence say that you are an imbecile.

I enjoyed Burn Notice, but Agents of Shield is generally much better as an enjoyable piece of programming. Although it could definitely use some Bruce Campbell.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

CornHolio posted:

I have seen every episode of Burn Notice and can with confidence say that you are an imbecile.

I enjoyed Burn Notice, but Agents of Shield is generally much better as an enjoyable piece of programming. Although it could definitely use some Bruce Campbell.

Well, Marvel can use Spider-Man again, so maybe we'll see Dickish Theater Ticket Agent pop back up again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

You are 100% wrong here, opinion or not this is just straight up incorrect on every level.

Nope, shield is a garbage rear end tv show driven by stupid relationship drama and characters being ultra retarded to drive the plot and villains that are lame as poo poo, just like the cw dregs.

Like the idea that people on shield act intelligently in any situation is loving hilarious

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

Nope, shield is a garbage rear end tv show driven by stupid relationship drama and characters being ultra retarded to drive the plot and villains that are lame as poo poo, just like the cw dregs.

Like the idea that people on shield act intelligently in any situation is loving hilarious

Cool collection of wrong opinions, keep em coming.

EDIT: ur still invited to my birthday fyi

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 27, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm just now watching this most recent episode.

The quick/sloppy editing from the prison episode is pretty apparent this time too.

"Curtis, you just gave a rousing speech about tenacity"

.5 seconds later oliver jumps on a car talking about how a friend once told him about tenacity, the crowd immediately listens to him, and somehow he is being broadcast on the radio. .5 seconds later he is back in the lair, where nobody even moved with the city wide riots being solved.

And it's a really good thing the HIVE Ghosts decided to pull a "Dark Knight Rises" by being sportsman and not bring their dozens of automatic weapons to the big street fight. It's also a good thing they all gave up when Damien Dahrke got stabbed.

Within 30 seconds of the bad guy getting stabbed characters start launching into speeches about how they are moving on.

Are they making this up week to week and coming up with solutions to the plot threads at the last minute? Because it seems like they just drag poo poo out way too long, then resolve it way too fast. I'll forgive lovely writing and boring plots if they don't take 16 hours to setup up and get resolved in miliseconds.

Xelkelvos posted:

I love that it's nighttime when Dahrk takes the laptop and reenables the nukes again (I think) and then it's suddenly daytime for the one launched from Colorado (and heading east?) when Ollie makes his speech and Lance and Donna are driving out of town (which looks exactly like the same area where their second leaving town shot is) and when the nuke is taken out. At that point, there's only about an hour left and come 15 minutes until all of the others impact (and not at staggered intervals like the one aimed at Star City?) it's the middle of the night.

Nice editing on that episode. :thumbsup: Also, the crowd scene had the dad that Ollie and Dig put in zipties last episode at the front of it, it looks like.

Exactly. And Oliver talking to the crowd at night would have made much more sense continuity wise, because if you ignore the "two hour" deadline from the missiles it looks like they were launched the night before, oliver comes out around 10 in the morning and gives a rousing speech, and then later that night after 6-8 hours the crowd shows up? Do they never go home? Have they been inspired and motivated this entire time? If so then what the gently caress were they doing all day? It doesn't matter because this all apparently happened in less than two hours.

Is this where someone tells me it was a stylistic choice between the "conflicted light and dark" message of this season that Oliver's motivational speech was depicted as daytime in the light, but the rest of the time was portrayed as night time in the darkness.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 27, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm just now watching this most recent episode.

The quick/sloppy editing from the prison episode is pretty apparent this time too.

"Curtis, you just gave a rousing speech about tenacity"

.5 seconds later oliver jumps on a car talking about how a friend once told him about tenacity, the crowd immediately listens to him, and somehow he is being broadcast on the radio. .5 seconds later he is back in the lair, where nobody even moved with the city wide riots being solved.

And it's a really good thing the HIVE Ghosts decided to pull a "Dark Knight Rises" by being sportsman and not bring their dozens of automatic weapons to the big street fight. It's also a good thing they all gave up when Damien Dahrke got stabbed.

Within 30 seconds of the bad guy getting stabbed characters start launching into speeches about how they are moving on.

Are they making this up week to week and coming up with solutions to the plot threads at the last minute? Because it seems like they just drag poo poo out way too long, then resolve it way too fast. I'll forgive lovely writing and boring plots if they don't take 16 hours to setup up and get resolved in miliseconds.

Oh yeah I forgot about Dhark's mercenary crew, they kept popping into scenes like they were the foot clan or something. Also the plot was saving the entire world from nukes? really? I couldn't give a gently caress about any of that, they don't have the budget to do it right, and since when are these world saving heroes? The entire scope just seemed unnecessarily large. I keep hoping they can get back to season 1 levels of action and pacing but that's just never going to happen. The stakes of this finale were just silly, an earthquake machine seemed like more of a threat years ago.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Dhark's mercenary crew, they kept popping into scenes like they were the foot clan or something. Also the plot was saving the entire world from nukes? really? I couldn't give a gently caress about any of that, they don't have the budget to do it right, and since when are these world saving heroes? The entire scope just seemed unnecessarily large. I keep hoping they can get back to season 1 levels of action and pacing but that's just never going to happen. The stakes of this finale were just silly, an earthquake machine seemed like more of a threat years ago.

I'm imagining a conversation between Felicity and Cisco.

Felicity:
We just saved the entire world from fifteen thousand nuclear missiles!
Cisco: Hmph. We just saved the entire multiverse. :smug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Season 3 was far better than this. It was stupid, but not devoid of any logic like Season 4 has been. Oliver Queen is not even the star of his own show anymore. Felicity went from tech support girl to CEO of a multi-billion dollar tech company, to almost single handedly saving the world from a nuclear apocalypse. Remember how stupid it was when Felicity used her tablet to hack into the leagues fighter jet last season? Now she hacked into a nuke that was flying right at her. Last week she redirected a nuke onto a smaller town and let tens of thousands of people die when she has Barry Allen on speed dial.

In the meantime Merlyn is still somehow getting a free pass to do whatever he wants, including helping to bring on the end of the world, all because he will protect Thea in a fight. This is all in addition to the whole killing Laurel plot (especially after killing Sara to allow her to take up the mantle in the first place).

There is no redeeming qualities to the show. Flash has its fan service, Arrow season 3 had its moments like Oliver vs. Ras part 1, but season 4 had nothing. We had one episode with above average fight scenes, but I can't even tell you what that episode was about. Season 3 headed down the wrong path, but season 4 is just a garbled and embarrassing mess.

The first half of Season 3 was pretty decent. Coming off of the heights of Season 2, it started a bit slowly, but did quite well and climaxed during the first Oliver-Ra's fight. The problem is that it crashed hard immediately afterwards.

Season 4 was the exact opposite: compared to the lows of Season 3, it felt convincingly good (see thread title) but at the aggregate ended up being far worse than Season 3 thanks to the utterly nonsensical writing and horrible Oliver-Felicity drama.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

I'm imagining a conversation between Felicity and Cisco.

Felicity:
We just saved the entire world from fifteen thousand nuclear missiles!
Cisco: Hmph. We just saved the entire multiverse. :smug:

It's kind of amazing how high the stakes were in both finales but how unimportant they both felt.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TyrantWD posted:

Flash has its fan service, Arrow season 3 had its moments like Oliver vs. Ras part 1, but season 4 had nothing.

Counterpoint, Season 4 had bee-man fight.

Yeah, season 4 was hot smelly garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

This article about super hero movie tropes is appropriate: http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/superhero-movie-cliches-to-retire/

quote:

Countless superhero movies, especially in the past decade, have ended with the heroes having to thwart a bad guy pointing a giant laser thingy at Earth: to suck its power, to terraform it (Man of Steel), to plunge it into darkness so that it can be ruled by Dark Elves (Thor: The Dark World), etc. I suspect this came about as a consequence of the fallacy that “bigger stakes = bigger drama!” Superhero movies kept trying to top each other, with evil plans that got bigger and bigger, until it wasn’t just the Earth being threatened, but “the very fabric of reality” (The Dark World again, which, actually, works great as parody).

Aside from the fact that any plot point that gets repeated enough eventually becomes a droning sound the audience learns to tune out, the idea that bigger stakes equals bigger drama doesn’t even work. It never has. One of the best explanations of the phenomenon comes in Ace in the Hole, a Billy Wilder movie from 1951 starring Kirk Douglas as unscrupulous news man Chuck Tatum. At one point, trying to explain how to sell papers, Tatum describes the concept of human interest to the junior reporter, Herbie:

TATUM: One man is better than 84. Didn’t they teach you that?

HERBIE: Teach me what?

TATUM: Human interest. You pick up the paper. You see something about 84 men. Or 284 men. Or a million people, like in a Chinese famine. You read it, but it doesn’t stay with you. One man is different. That’s human interest. You want to know all about him. Somebody all by himself — like Lindbergh over the Atlantic.

Or, as Lush Life author Richard Price put it (in a quote you can find all over Pinterest):

“The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.”

Sure, writing superhero movies isn’t exactly the same as writing about atrocities (though the writers of Batman v Superman and Civil War sure seem to want it to be), but getting people to care is the same. We don’t need the heroes to save the whole Earth or the universe or the fabric of reality in order to be invested. It’s actually kind of alienating. What’s a movie from the last few years that everyone loves? How about John Wick? He’s not saving the Earth, he’s just pissed because some guys killed his dog. Truth is, the audience cares more about one dog than the entire Earth. Probably the best thing about Civil War (and a big part of the reason it got so many good reviews) is that they didn’t have to save the world at the end.

The worst part about the saving-the-entire-planet, let’s-make-these-stakes-huge trope is that the superhero movie writers seemed to realize it. Yet instead of changing anything, they just wrote the characters feeling bad about all that collateral damage. Oh joy, mopey superheroes, just what I’ve always wanted. (You know, there’s a reason Stan Lee’s plans for “Introspection Man” never got off the ground). Both Civil War and Batman v Superman had their characters mourn their respective franchises’ past crappy writing. At least Civil War had the decency not to just do it all over again anyway.

• Locked thread