Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

yea thatd be p deece i guess. should put a trolley or whatever like they have at the grove down it

Broadway already has a subway that stops every 4-6 blocks under it and plenty of bike share stations. manhattanites are so spoiled for transit and still all my uber drivers will bitch to me that they'll call a car to go four blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

maine is bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yard salad posted:

I went to Maine for vacation. We ate lobster and went sailing. It was good.

it was good because you left

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we got a streetcar line and it's a comically mismanaged joke that's barely useful. but at least it's free for a bit, so i guess there's that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fun fact if you're ever in shenzhen you can ride the bus for free because im pretty sure the drivers dont have authority to physically remove people from the bus. i used to see a family that just boarded and never paid and got into an argument every time but never got kicked off

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

this is true for NYC too. as long as you're not crazy about it, it's not worth anyone's time to throw you off. the driver just hits a little "person didn't pay" button and goes about their business

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i've been on busses in london where the person has refused to pay and the driver just turned the engine off until they left rofl

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it's a different use case

we just brought our refurbished 60 year old PCC cars out of retirement to run along the lakeshore/queens quay (waterfront) line. it's charming

my city burned all the streetcars in the 50's in a massive bonfire. the only one remaining was used for a Spaghetti Works, but now that's been dismantled and scrapped too.

ed. found a pic of it.

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 25, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

there are companies that are going to start making updated PCCs from scratch because so many cities are starting heritage streetcar lines

thats really funny to me

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

this is true for NYC too. as long as you're not crazy about it, it's not worth anyone's time to throw you off. the driver just hits a little "person didn't pay" button and goes about their business

same for the CTA. if you listen you'll hear a little cricket-like chirp noise when they hit that button

it's great when Ventra goes offline because the driver has to hit that button for every person.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cygni posted:

there are companies that are going to start making updated PCCs from scratch because so many cities are starting heritage streetcar lines

thats really funny to me

old streetcars have a cool style

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol at this vile swine

http://www.laweekly.com/news/thrillist-publishes-then-quickly-takes-down-anti-expo-line-screed-6960431

quote:

There's no question that this new train is going to be bringing new people to Santa Monica — and that raises the possibility of crime, accidents and the pitfalls of mass amounts of tourists with access to a part of the city that was at least geographically difficult to access before.

Yuck! Imagine all those unsavory beaners coming into *in sexy Latin voice when pronouncing spanish words, which are all of them* SAnta Monica

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Smythe posted:

lol at this vile swine

http://www.laweekly.com/news/thrillist-publishes-then-quickly-takes-down-anti-expo-line-screed-6960431

Yuck! Imagine all those unsavory beaners coming into *in sexy Latin voice when pronouncing spanish words, which are all of them* SAnta Monica

every bit of that article is incredible. sounds like a caricature from bonfire of the vanities

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

... i don't even

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

infernal machines posted:

... i don't even

the most ridiculous claim in that video is the one year approval to opening time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well it's china, presumably they're not going to be slowed by inconveniences like safety testing

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
ppl will die

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We're laughing at some stupid Chinese proposal but it's still way better than the hyperloop

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

lol at this vile swine

public_transit_investment_in_america.txt

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Every day that thing would hit some overloaded truck. I like the slightly unrealistic bending on corners.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Broadway already has a subway that stops every 4-6 blocks under it and plenty of bike share stations. manhattanites are so spoiled for transit and still all my uber drivers will bitch to me that they'll call a car to go four blocks

reminder: you can kill someone with your car in NYC and the police will, at most, write you a ticket.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
The MTA's latest idea to get people to use the bus: put wifi and chargers on them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

The MTA's latest idea to get people to use the bus: put wifi and chargers on them.

as someone currently on an mta bus I endorse this.

also that loving car thing is atrocious. you can be filmed making an illegal turn into a family going over the speed limit on a suspended license and get a ticket. a ticket you can dispute and win :psyduck:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

as a new york pedestrian I have made my peace with the fact that I will be killed by a van

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also that loving car thing is atrocious. you can be filmed making an illegal turn into a family going over the speed limit on a suspended license and get a ticket. a ticket you can dispute and win :psyduck:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the number of people who ride bikes in NYC wearing a gopro facing backwards to record their own snuff film is increasing at a scary rate

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

We're laughing at some stupid Chinese proposal but it's still way better than the hyperloop

agreed, but that still doesn't make the chinese overtrainbus even remotely practical.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oops https://twitter.com/NEWSFORWORLD/status/736324540683452416/video/1

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson posted:

fun fact if you're ever in shenzhen you can ride the bus for free because im pretty sure the drivers dont have authority to physically remove people from the bus. i used to see a family that just boarded and never paid and got into an argument every time but never got kicked off

depending where you are inc hciago the other passengers might remove you for holding up the bus if you refuse to pay

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Finally, air conditioning on the Bloor line

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the train doors used to be manually operated in sydney and I can remember this happening a few times. apparently lots of people died?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tVbc56Q0E

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my stepdads beer posted:

the train doors used to be manually operated in sydney and I can remember this happening a few times. apparently lots of people died?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tVbc56Q0E

they still have pasenger operated doors on some trains in england. they call em 'slam doors' and its real funny to me but englands history with trains is filled with weird dumb stuff like that

the best part is a lot of them had to be opened from the outside, so you would have to fuckin put the window down, stick your arm out and open the door. i guess people on the platform used to get hit by flying elbows and poo poo. incredible

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 29, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I want to say this has happened on the L before and i have to imagine it's rather terrifying on an elevated line

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

better that they kept the train moving than holding it up/making everyone get off and wait for a new one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

I want to say this has happened on the L before and i have to imagine it's rather terrifying on an elevated line

i don't know if you noticed, but the train was crossing the viaduct there, it's about 130 feet above the river valley

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

my sister's neighbor is a decrepit shut-in hoarder who can barely make it down the two floors to the street, as in she throws her cane down the stairs and uses both hands to hold herself up while edging sideways down the stairs. she calls a cab to go a couple blocks and will never move because of rent control and paranoia

she also gets mad when people get worried enough to call the landlord to see what's stinking up the hallway while she's disappeared to the hospital occasionally (it's garbage she can't remove from her place herself)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I found shaggers offsite alt

quote:

Hmm. This is a tough one Londoners. Although, looking at the options given there, 99% of which are some form of “tax or price controls”, this might be a little tougher for Londoners to get.

1) Stop putting up so many silly regulations.

2) There is this new invention called…a road. It’s not a bike, it’s not a train, it’s not like a bus, although buses can travel on it. But it’s like a river, but with concrete. And you can drive this new invention called the…automobile…on it. The automobile is like a bus, but only has 1 floor. And with the combination of roads and this new wonder of science, you can live anywhere you want up to 30 miles out from your work. This reduces the prices of real-estate because it increases the geographical area you can live on, thus more supply of available areas and housing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nah, shaggar lives in maine. living 30 miles from your place of work would be close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I live like 10 miles from work.

• Locked thread