Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's more practical to wield only one Emmy with your dominant hand and a Golden Globe with your off hand.

Maybe he's ambidextrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ague Proof posted:

Nominating this thread for best drama.

Seconding the nomination.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Moltke posted:

seriously though, you have to be a big dumb idiot not to realize that expanding the number of eligible voters to include more people is going to mean that the largest employer of television professionals exerts more influence on the awards process; an awards process that was a joke even before the 2015 awards.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Do you know why the ratings for GoT are so huge?

Because the cast and crew is so big and they all make their friends and family watch.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Elias_Maluco posted:

And about the red priests, its funny how they are usually regarded as evil when they are the only faction in the world which seems to know and cares about the upcoming possible apocalypse. Thoros wanst evil are all; Mel did some pretty stupid and questionable poo poo but she sincerely believes she is working to save the world.

Mel literally says that red Rahloo finds the sacrifice of innocents most pleasing. Guy is evil. Guy might be the only person who cares about stopping the apocalypse, but the only reason he wants to prevent the apocalypse is so he can continue to do evil.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more bad that emilia clark was ever nominated for an emmy.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Moltke posted:

you're entirely missing the point by trying to inject nationalism into this discussion. votes are cast based on areas of expertise (e.g. only actors vote for acting categories, hair dressers for hair dressing, etc). On a per category basis, GOT dominates the television industry in terms of people employed, which is reflected in the number of nominations it received last year, say what you will about the merits of it. there are other factors at play besides simple loyalty to your employer, which is why GOT didn't sweep every single thing that it could have, but it does exert a tremendous influence on every faculty in which it has employees. it's not a conspiracy, it's not made up, its a hard truth.

like i said, try walking around a studio lot around nomination season and see just what the average voter uses to decide who to pick. most of the time its the show they're working on. other times it just boils down to "i like jon hamm."

you can keep trying to theorycraft why GOT just happened to receive a record number of nominations and a best drama win after the largest rules change in academy history as an outsider, and call everyone who has actual insiders understanding about hollywood paranoid, or you can accept that your puny brain is ill suited to understanding concepts which are foreign to you. either way, please stop posting.

This post is just you restating the same dumb argument again, except this time without numbers since you've realized those don't work in your favor at all.

As for the record number of nominations, the show got these nomination in its 5 seasons: 13, 12, 17, 20, 24. There is no sudden rise in nominations because of a rule change.

You appear to be incapable of making any sort of reasonable inference from actual, real numbers. Maybe you should take some time off from walking in those Hollywood lots and learn to add and subtract.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 26, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Blind Melon posted:

Mel literally says that red Rahloo finds the sacrifice of innocents most pleasing. Guy is evil. Guy might be the only person who cares about stopping the apocalypse, but the only reason he wants to prevent the apocalypse is so he can continue to do evil.

Mel says a lot of poo poo and she's usually wrong too

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's more bad that emilia clark was ever nominated for an emmy.

The award was named after her.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Having said that, popping a killer ghost from her vagine seems pretty evil, but having giant flying murdering fire spewing monsters seems pretty evil too.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner are terrible, terrible actresses

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Blind Melon posted:

Do you have the quote of that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still salty that ros died tbh

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

drunken officeparty posted:

There are like 3 or 4 good actors left in this show, they killed the rest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

El Hefe posted:

Having said that, popping a killer ghost from her vagine seems pretty evil, but having giant flying murdering fire spewing monsters seems pretty evil too.

I think the vaghost was actually shadow magic which is a different thing that she just says she gets from Riller. She lies a lot you see.

I don't think she said Riller likes innocent sacrifices in particular, just that they're more magical because it's a much bigger sacrifice. Sacrificing the guilty is piss-easy and if they were worth as much it would totally gently caress up the divine economy.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't know where she got the shadow baby from but that poo poo was evil.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Season 2 of The Leftovers was on a whole other level of story, direction, and acting, and I'm not sure I hear about it anywhere.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Game of Thrones will somehow EGOT.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well it's already GoT.

:rimshot:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

halwain posted:

Im going to laugh if Daario is revealed to be the leader of the herpies :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

At least you can take a pill to suppress that.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I figured out the third twist guys.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

In the last ep the priestess who owned Varys was wearing the same necklace as Mel. Maybe all the red priestesses are old as gently caress and have some vast apocalyptic ambition they've been working toward for the past 500 years

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cornflakes posted:

In the last ep the priestess who owned Varys was wearing the same necklace as Mel. Maybe all the red priestesses are old as gently caress and have some vast apocalyptic ambition they've been working toward for the past 500 years

All red priestesses wear that style of necklaces and I don't see why they would need to be old as gently caress to have some grand scheme they are working towards, given that we now that they are all organized to some degree by the religion.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Some how I don't think Tyrion and Varys are going to be wholly on board with a 100,000 dothraki sacking Westeros.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
They need to get McShane on the screen asap

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

BlindSite posted:

Some how I don't think Tyrion and Varys are going to be wholly on board with a 100,000 dothraki sacking Westeros.

Just dump them in Dorne, and then teleport them to the wall afterwards.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

BlindSite posted:

I'm not sure anyone is really on board with that plan, given that even if Dany is successful and conquers Westeros what is she going to do to not turn it into a continent sized Mereen/Vietnam and how will she integrate her army into Westeros? Aegon had the good fortune of just landing with a relatively small force (~1800 men) which did not put to much of a strain on the Westerosi economy but it seems like Dany is going to invade with all living Dothraki + everyone from Mereen who wants to tag along, which seems like it would end badly.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

BlindSite posted:

some how i don't think the mother of dragons is gonna give a poo poo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not really sure how Team Dany is envisioning their invasion of Westeros, given that they're putting all the characters who ostensibly care about peasants and villagers on that team. Robert (I think) had a pretty good outline of how the Dothraki would invade Westeros, and it wasn't the people in castles who'd particularly suffer.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

I'm not really sure how Team Dany is envisioning their invasion of Westeros, given that they're putting all the characters who ostensibly care about peasants and villagers on that team. Robert (I think) had a pretty good outline of how the Dothraki would invade Westeros, and it wasn't the people in castles who'd particularly suffer.

Well, if Dany has Aegon the Conqueror levels of dragon support, people in castles are hosed too, not that that makes it a lot better.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BlindSite posted:

That was Varys' original plan.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kajeesus posted:

I don't think she said Riller likes innocent sacrifices in particular, just that they're more magical because it's a much bigger sacrifice.

Rillzy gives magic to people killing kings because he wants to encourage it. He's just real sick of all this feudalism.

Plot twist; the High Sparrow actually worships the red god. He's building his power and stoking the barely contained class tensions so that at the right moment the peasantry will round up every royal and noble with a ounce of royal blood in King's Landing for a massive sacrificial pyre. The right moment being when the city is full of refugees and the Others are at the gates.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woulda been cool if Yara had just stuck a sword in Euron as soon as he admitted to killing Balon.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

drunken officeparty posted:

Turner does happy/bubbly well. She could probably nail a lot of supporting and rom-com roles.

I don't know what Clarke could do.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Accretionist posted:

I don't know what Clarke could do.

"My penis is freaking enormous" speeches in made up languages.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I never thought of Turner as a bad actress. Sansa being awkward and kinda stilted is perfectly in line with her character.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Turner's performance is pretty flat overall, which isn't always bad as the character has been through quite a lot and could reasonably be expected to be of subdued affect, but sometimes falls flat. The scene where she confronts Littlefinger didn't convince me that her character was seriously angry about what he had done, though admittedly Gillen's performance was pretty flat and confusing too.

Clarke is just...not convincing overall. She doesn't have any sort of presence in a scene that says "I am the boss, fear me", which is what her dialogue has been increasingly going for. It makes her seem like a big talker. It doesn't help that she has so many lines in Dothraki or Valyrian, but I don't think she reads the English/Westerosi ones very well either. She's not the worst actor on the show but she's probably the least impressive performance by any of the leads.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Perplexingly, Sophie Turner does emotional scenes where Sansa is sad and broken really well and scenes where she's supposed to be happy or confident as wooden and awkward. I would attribute it mostly to the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Kelly C is the worst actress on the show by far thats for sure

• Locked thread